British Museum, London

4.5 out of 5 stars 315 Reviews

Great Russell St, London WC1B 3DG +44 20 7323 8299
Don't miss these tickets and tour deals!
Get best British Museum rates on Viator
    by SallyM

• Elainehead's Profile Photo

Fancy a museum? British Museum is the way to go

by Elainehead Written Apr 22, 2016

I'm not a fan of museums but once I stayed in the area, so why not? It's not as big as the Louvre in Paris but it's interesting. They had a very good Egyptian collection (probably permanent - best to check out their website for further information). I was amazed to see things that I had only seen in school books before.

Address: Great Russell St, London WC1B 3DG

Directions: Nearest Tube, Holborn. Between Bloomsbury St. & Montague St.

Phone: +44 20 7323 8299

• egonwegh's Profile Photo

Sutton Hoo helmet

by egonwegh Updated Mar 27, 2016

The Sutton Hoo helmet, another famous artefact that I had wanted to see for a long time (from about late 1970s onwards). It was found at the Anglo-Saxon burial site at Sutton Hoo in East Anglia. I believe there's a picture of it in the first volume of the Oxford Anthology of English Literature, that originally put me on the trail of this helmet. To be found at the British Museum.

London, British Museum, Sutton Hoo helmet

• London history

by motravells Written Dec 28, 2015

I found my hotel at: http://hotels.tripescapenow.com/Place/London.htm i choose a room for two for an abordable price of 79$/ night. London is a biautifull town with many things to see. my hotel was in the old london and was not too far from the aereport. in a travel the hotels you choose can be a positif or a negatif fact in my case the hotel was positif. Thanks toTrip escape now team for helping me.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

British Museum

by HORSCHECK Written Dec 4, 2015

Although I am not too much of a museum person, I took the chance to visit the British Museum in August 2015. It is home to one of the most important exhibitions about human history and culture. The museum was established in the middle of the 18th century.

I must admit that due to my limited time I only got a glimpse of the ground floor, but apart from the exhibitions, also the architecture of the building is well worth seeing.

The museum is dominated by the impressive Great Court. It is a large inner courtyard with a glass panel roof surrounding the circular reading room of the museum. The current Great Court was designed by Foster and Partner and inaugurated by Queen Elizabeth II in 2000.

Entrance to the museum is free, so it makes sense to at least spend some time here.

Directions:
    The British Museum is located in Bloomsbury, which is an area of the borough of Camden. The tube stations Tottenham Court Road, Holborn, Goodge Street and Russel Square are all in walking distance to the museum.

Address: British Museum, Great Russel Street, WC1B 3DG London

Website: http://www.britishmuseum.org/

British Museum British Museum: Great Court British Museum: Great Court British Museum: Great Court British Museum: The lion of Knidos
    • Trains

• Nemorino's Profile Photo

The British Museum

by Nemorino Updated Oct 7, 2015

Not having been to the British Museum for several decades, I at least wanted to see the changes that have been made to it in the meantime. It was only about a mile from my hotel, so I walked over via Russell Square. Later I realized that I could have also taken one of the Santander Cycles, checking one out at Belgrove Street, Kings Cross and riding a zig-zag course through quiet streets to the bike station by the museum at the corner of Montague Street and Great Russell Street. But I didn’t know that yet, and had already decided not to try out the Santander Cycles until Sunday.

Unlike most of the big London attractions, the British Museum is free, but they do suggest that you make a donation of five pounds.

Second photo: People sitting on the steps of the British Museum.

Third photo: At the start of the 21st century, the hitherto inaccessible inner courtyard of the British Museum was transformed into what they call “the largest covered public square in Europe. It is a two-acre space enclosed by a spectacular glass roof with the world-famous Reading Room at its centre.” This new space is now called the Queen Elizabeth II Great Court (or just “The Great Court” for short). It was designed by Foster and Partners, the same ones who designed the new roof of the Reichstag in Berlin, Germany.

Fourth photo: Ancient Egypt in the British Museum.

Fifth photo: Venus, the Roman goddess of love, at the British Museum. What I think of when I see a Venus statue is Gaëlle Arquez singing to Venus in Jacques Offenbach’s operetta La belle Hélène: Dis-moi, Vénus, quel plaisir trouves-tu / A faire ainsi cascader la vertu? (roughly: “Tell me, Venus, what pleasure do you get / from causing such a downfall of virtue?” because Venus had promised Paris he could have the most beautiful woman in the world, and Hélène had no doubt that she was the one).

Address: Great Russell St, London WC1B 3DG
    Directions: The nearest cycle stations are shown here.
    Phone: +44 (0)20 7323 8299

Next: MacDonald Hotel

The British Museum Steps of the British Museum The Great Court Ancient Egypt in the British Museum Venus in the British Museum
    • Architecture

• DebHan's Profile Photo

A walk through history

by DebHan Written Aug 4, 2015

The British Museum has to be one of the richest locations for must see items if you have any appreciation of history. The Rosetta stone marked in three distinct scripts that allowed scholars to unlock the language of hieroglyphics, the beautiful (and controversial) Elgin Marbles and the Sutton-Hoo treasures are just a few of the major attractions. You can spend hours or a few brief visits over time- entry is free!

Website: http://www.thebritishmuseum.ac.uk

Elgin Marbles Rosetta Stone Roman Remains!

A cultural crowd-puller.

by breughel Updated Jan 31, 2015

My first visit goes back to the early sixties so that I have seen on my successive visits a fantastic transformation from a somewhat dusty, old fashion, museum to the present outstanding museological achievement with the Great Court.
    The success of the British Museum, with 6,7 million visitors in 2013, is certainly due to the quality of its collections, of which about 50.000 items are shown over 75.000 m2 with a number of world highlights and also disputed items like the Parthenon marbles, which do attract a range of visitors interested by this controversy.

Furthermore, and not without importance, the entry is free; I have never seen queues as there is no ticket or security check. If at the opening there are people waiting at the main entrance Russell Street, there is a second entrance on the back at Montague Place.
    What is also great is the fact that on the contrary of several London museums, a.o. National Gallery, taking photos is allowed here.

The facilities are convenient and there are enough lifts for less young legs like mine.
    One thing I don't like are the two "court cafés" behind the "Reading Room" of the Great Court; makes me think of factory canteens. Better is the Gallery Café near the Ancient Greece rooms (11 & 12) on the Ground floor. If you have money you can go to the chic Court restaurant at level 3 (is currently undergoing a refurbishment).
    Actually outside around the museum there are lot of places to eat and drink.

On my visit begin of July the crowd was huge, especially in the Egyptian sculpture halls on the Ground floor (rooms n° 4). Schools had transformed this part of the museum in a play ground. As long as Ramesses the Great does not complain about the noise …

Address: Great Russell Street, WC1

Directions: Holborn Underground station.

Website: http://www.thebritishmuseum.ac.uk

Schools do like the British Museum. British Museum - Court Caf��. British Museum - British Museum - Parthenon marbles.

My friend Bastet.

by breughel Updated Jan 31, 2015

It is well known that animals were associated with deities. The ancient Egyptians believed that their gods and goddesses could appear on earth under the form of animals.
    The ibis was associated with Thoth, the hawk or falcon with Horus and cats with the goddess Bastet whose cult centre was at Bubastis in the Nile Delta.
    I always liked the fact that Egyptians not only found cats a very useful company animal but associated their pet with the protective benevolent goddess Bastet, while in our middle ages cats were often associated with the devil!

The museum has a remarkable and elaborately wrapped cat mummy from Abydos dating from the 1st c. AD.
    I was surprised to read from the documentation of the British museum that many of these cats did not die a natural death but that kittens were raised and killed for mummification. These cat mummies were sold to the visitors and left at the temple catacombs as offerings.

Later, cat cemeteries were plundered and there were so many that it is know that at the end of the 19th c. about 15000 kg of cat mummies were shipped from Egypt to the UK to be pulverized and processed into fertiliser!

Cat mummies. Cat Goddess Bastet

• breughel's Profile Photo

Parthenon Sculptures - questionable perspective?

by breughel Updated Jan 31, 2015

The Parthenon Sculptures in room 18, the largest of the museum, are certainly the best known highlights of the British Museum.
    In another comment I expressed my position about the controversy by the Greek government concerning the Elgin Marbles. I'm definitively in favour of a status quo and this is my position for all museums. It would be a non sense to move all artefacts back to their country of origin.

Nevertheless on each of my visits, I found the display of the sculptures in the Duveen Gallery questionable because the original perspective is ignored.
    The friezes, metopes and pediment came from the upper part of the Parthenon. The Doric columns are 10 m high so that the sculptures above them stood at a height of about 12 m as you can see from the figure on my photo n°2.
    The perspective was therefore quite different from the present display in room 18 at eye-level (photos 1 & 3). The Duveen Gallery is high and wide enough to recreate a perspective closer to the original one of the Parthenon.

In the next room 17 is a reconstruction of one of the sides of the Nereid monument, the largest and finest of the Lykian tombs found at Xanthos in south-west Turkey. This reconstruction of the Nereid monument shows how the perspective of the display of the Parthenon sculptures could be improved.

Website: http://www.thebritishmuseum.ac.uk

Parthenon frieze at real height. Parthenon frieze at eye-level. Parthenon sculptures - questionable perspective? The Nereid monument.

• Khamsangla's Profile Photo

British Museum

by Khamsangla Written Nov 7, 2014

The collection is extensive and includes artefacts from all corners of the world. I particularly liked the section from South East Asia and the Indian subcontinent. The range from middle east and Africa is also very good; I had never seen such work from countries such as Ethiopia and Iran.

Apart from the main features, there is a café and a plan of the museum is available too. Although the contents are impressive, I really liked the glass roofed Great Court too. If possible, I’d recommend you focus on just a couple of sections once you get there. The museum is vast, and it’s better to have a specific game plan rather than trying to fit in all at once.

Tip

• jlanza29's Profile Photo

Top 5 in the world !!!!!

by jlanza29 Written Oct 12, 2014

I must admit …. I hadn't had the time to visit the British Museum in my past visits to London. This time all we had was time and our hotel (please read my hotel tip) was about 5 minute walk away.

First …. admission is free but donations are accepted … I left 5 pounds …. These treasures of humanity must be left around for future generations to see, study, and enjoy.

Give yourself plenty and plenty of time …. we spent almost 5 hours inside and we saw everything rushed !!!!!

Many argue the legal possessions of the artifacts inside the museum …. but I rather have them protected for the world to see then in settings that might cause harm to them or even destruction.

The crowds are huge and you must be patient in order to see the most popular treasures such as the Rossetta Stone and Elgin Marbles ….

There is no question this museum is in the top 5 in the world ….

Highly recommend it !!!!! just have plenty of time to see it ….

Website: http://www.thebritishmuseum.ac.uk

Grand entrance Controversial Elgin Marbles wanted back by Greece Grand staircase Egyptian collection 2nd to none ���.

• halikowski's Profile Photo

Gems of Chinese painting exhibition

by halikowski Updated Jul 23, 2014

If you thought contemporary Chinese culture is brash, materialist and utterly disrespectful of the environment, go to this exhibition where you will see a different tradition from the 16th and 17th centuries: retiring into nature to contemplate beauty and peacefulness.

Address: British Museum

Directions: Russell Square area.

Website: http://www.britishmuseum.org/whats_on/exhibitions/gems_of_chinese_painting.aspx

'Reading in the autumn mountains'

Khorsabad (Northern Iraq), Palace of Sargon

by alza Updated Jul 13, 2014

After seeing the Sculptures of the Parthenon rooms, it was a relief to catch a glimpse of a different art, in a nearby room. The first piece I saw was stunning by its size & weight. A colossal winged bull from the Palace of Sargon II. A pair of these bulls guarded the entrance to the citadel of King Sargon (died 705 BC.) built in his time & known today as Khorsabad. The pair of bulls are among the heaviest objects in the British Museum. 16 tons of alabaster each. They were sawn into bits in order to transport them to London.

Also included here are a few more photos from Sculptures of the Parthenon, which I could not placed under "Sculptures" for lack of space. A few more photos are in a Travelogue (with text.)

I should say that the winged bulls in the Assyrian room were what impressed me the most during my whole visit. Their size had something to do with it but also, where and how they were shown. An imposing presence.

I had a funny encounter with an attendant at the Museum. I explained that before starting my visit, I wanted to buy a book on the Elgin Marbles at the Museum Shop. He directed me. Coming back, I saw him again & asked him where exactly were the Elgin Marbles. He said "Well, first of all, you should know that there are no marbles called Elgin. Elgin was a man, actually, not a set of marbles. The works of art he brought from Greece can be seen in such & such a place in the museum. Go right, turn left, etc."
    I couldn't help myself... I had to tell him that the 8th Earl of Elgin was Governor General of Canada & the son of the 7th Earl, who purchased the marbles & almost ruined himself in the process. Canadians are familiar with the Lords Elgin, if only from Lord Elgin hotels in Canada. The guy was a bit stunned but we had a good laugh over this.

Main Photo: Winged bull from Palace of Sargon II
    Photo 2: Sculpture from Assyrian Room
    Photo 3: Doves, Sculptures of the Parthenon
    Photo 4: Angel carrying... something, Sculptures of the Parthenon
    Photo 5: Group of musicians, in relief, Sculptures of the Parthenon

The sculptures of the Parthenon

by alza Updated Jul 13, 2014

Before I upload as many photos as I can of the sculptures of the Parthenon inside the British Museum, I invite you to look at the museum's pediment at the South entrance.

The museum was built in 1823 in Greek Revival style and so the building has Greek features including the pediment and columns at the South entrance. The building style actually transported me to Athens the minute I saw it, and I was especially drawn to the pediment (that is, the triangle on top, filled with statues.) That particular pediment reflects a theme, "The progress of civilisation", and it worth examining in detail. You can read about details on the British Museum website.

Photos of Sculptures of the Parthenon shown below are named or described. Others are placed under a review of the Assyrian room. Extra photos are in a Travelogue (with text.)

Main Photo: Antinous as Dyonisus
    Photo 2: A many-dimensional group, sweeping folds & broad gestures. Maybe Hebe or Hekate, I can't remember. Sure to grab your attention when you land in front.
    Photo 3: Aphrodite crouching at her bath (stunning beauty!)
    Photo 4: A metope sculpture of a centaur and a Lapith in combat. Metope subjects show a common theme of the conflict between order and chaos, civilisation and barbarism, conflict between East and West.
    Photo 5: Horse from the chariot of Selene the Moon, sinking into the waters of Okeanos, exhausted. Placed to deal with diminishing heights in the angles of pediments, as were reclining figures. Very impressive image.

Vikings: life and legend

by alza Written Jul 11, 2014

I went to the British Museum for the first time this June, specifically to see the Elgin Marbles.
    On arrival, in front of the museum, I saw a replica of a Viking ship that really caught my attention: it splashed colour and dynamism on the overall Greek architecture scene. "Vikings" was a temporary exhibition that closed during my visit to England in June but I chose this photo as the main one for my page about the British Museum.

Inside, the heart of the Vikings Exhibition was a long Viking warship known as Roskilde 6, excavated from the Roskilde fjord in Denmark in 1997. Remains of the original ship were re-assembled in London to the full size and shape of the original, for display in a steel frame, Although regretfully, I couldn't visit "Vikings: life and legend", I took notes inside so that I could explain my main photo a bit.

Roskilde 6 has been dated to around AD 1025, the high point of the Viking Age when England, Denmark, Norway and possibly parts of Sweden were united under the rule of Cnut the Great (aka Canute). It was almost certainly a royal warship, possibly connected with the wars fought by Cnut to assert his authority over this short-lived North Sea Empire. Cnut the Great died in Shaftesbury, U.K., in 1035.

Instant Answers: London