Kent County Cricket Club
Kent, jointly with Sussex, is believed to be the birthplace of cricket with Kent being one of the eighteen county clubs that make up the English and Welsh structure, Kent County Cricket Club first came into existence in 1842 this club later merged with Beverley Kent Cricket Club in 1870 and used Canterbury as their headquarters.
Nickname: Kent Spitfires (Limited Overs)
Capacity 15,000Add to your Trip Planner
Chatham Ski Centre
Chatham Ski Centre is the closest year-round one to London (O2 does do a ski slope, but it's Christmas only), so this is where I went when I realised the Christmas skiing break was around the corner, and I have never tried even putting boots on.
The slope is artificial, not snow, but that means it's usable all-year round. For those who can do snowplough turns, there is a possibility to do open practice on the slope. For novices, there are lessons, both groups and private. Having taken a private lesson, I've found charges very reasonable (GBP 49 per hour for a one-person private lesson), and the quality of instruction very good. In just over an hour, I moved from being unable to ski to doing linked snowplough turns, meaning I could get down some kind of a slope without falling over. They will also teach you basic safety rules and how to use the lifts, as well as help with equipment questions.
For the slope, ski hire is included in the price.
To keep in mind:
- Signage is not very good, hence it's easy to miss the entrance, especially if you're not driving from Chatham itself
- Being artificial, the slope is very abrasive, so even if you have your own skis, better use the hire ones.
Equipment: Bring gloves, and a ski suit, everything else is lent to you on the spotRelated to:
- Skiing and Boarding
Feel like some fishing? (COARSE FISHING)
At Shirkoak Farm they have built 2.5 acres of lake, where they have over 10,000 fish, recently stocked wth seven different types of fish! The B&B is currently closed, as they have a break and focus on the fishing lake.
This is located in Woodchurch, next to Tenterden, and is a father and son-in-law team that run it.
Equipment: You dont really need to take much with you. You can hire all the equipment at the farm itself. You do need to take your own wellies, rain gear, camping equipment etc if you plan to stay overnight, but should you need a rod, bait etc., they can provide that all for you.Related to:
- Adventure Travel
- Hiking and Walking
Boughton Golf Club - Par 3 Academy Course
The Academy Par 3 course is an excellent place if you are a beginner in the game:
- Short holes (maximum of about 185 yards), so you won't spend all the day trying to get the end of a monster 500-yard hole. Also only 9 holes, which is easier to handle when you're only starting out
- Challenging: a rather steep and nasty - but thankfully short - first hole (gave me nightmares!) and a water hazard (a pond in normal English : ) ) later on in the game on the 6th hole. Can also play two rounds to get a feel for an 18-hole game
- Scenic: in an apple orchard of all places (and no, I did not try the apples :) )
- Pretty much empty - so you're not holding up other people's play which would be a great discourtesy in the game
- Easy to book: you can book a tee time online from 7am to about 6pm each day, or you can just roll up and play
- Cheap (for a round of golf): one round of 9 holes is about GBP 10, with two rounds and 18 holes at GBP 12.50
Equipment: You can bring your own set or hire the clubs on the spot, along with a buggy or your own personal Segway to get aroundRelated to:
Found out that Gillingham FC had a pre season friendly match on whilst i was staying nearby.
Needing my football fix i went along to the Priestfield Stadium in Gillingham and took in the match versus Barnet FC.
Enjoyed a pint in the pub underneath the main stand before the game, the 'Blues Hard Rock Cafe' or something along those lines.
Tidy enough little ground, half re-developed.
Equipment: NoneRelated to:
- Budget Travel
- Family Travel
We stayed in the Dog and Bear in Lenham. This is a pub with a hotel added or a hotel with a pub...more
Excellent central hotel. Service good and pleasant staff. Recommended but be aware there are no...more
This wonderful country house hotel is about 2 miles form Dover and is set in beautiful grounds which...more
Top Kent Hotels
- West Hythe Hotels
- 1 Hotel
- Tonbridge Hotels
- 8 Reviews - 34 Photos
- Sevenoaks Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 7 Photos
- Tunbridge Wells Hotels
- 77 Reviews - 156 Photos
- Rochester Hotels
- 78 Reviews - 218 Photos
- Ramsgate Hotels
- 25 Reviews - 105 Photos
- Margate Hotels
- 54 Reviews - 103 Photos
- Maidstone Hotels
- 48 Reviews - 183 Photos
- Lympne Hotels
- 9 Reviews - 50 Photos
- Hythe Hotels
- 110 Reviews - 335 Photos
Explore the World
- Thunder Bay Hotels
- Ensenada Hotels
- Liqeni i Tiranes Hotels
- Itasca State Park Hotels
- Tottenham Hotels
- Shinjuku Hotels
- Mongolia Hotels
- Port Jefferson