Map &

Rate it

Top Tours

Necropolis Tips (17)

The Necropolis continued.

There are good views over Glasgow from the Necropolis, especially towards Glasgow Cathedral and the Royal Infirmary. The Necropolis has lots of interesting graves, some of them are extremely ornate. As usual I took too many photographs for one tip.

IreneMcKay's Profile Photo
Jul 01, 2016

The Necropolis.

I know it sounds a bit morbid, but I love visiting old cemeteries. I like to think it's because I enjoy hisory rather than death!!!

I'm always dragging my husband off to old, ornate cemeteries wherever we go, which makes it all the more incredible that this was my first ever visit to the Necropolis. I just don't know how that happened.

The Necropolis or City of the Dead sits on a low hill next to Glasgow Cathedral. It is accessed from just round the corner from the cathedral via a bridge known as the Glasgow Bridge of Sighs. This bridge crosses the now undeground Molendinar Burn.

The Glasgow Necropolis dates from Victorian times. Around fifty thousand people are buried here, but only a small number of them are named on monuments and not every grave has a stone. The Necropolis has about 3500 monuments in total.

The hilltop of the Necropolis is dominated by a statue of John Knox on top of a column. This monument was around before the cemetery and dates from 1825.

There are three modern memorials between the gates of the cemetery and the bridge across to the main cemetery hill. These include a memorial to the Korean War.

IreneMcKay's Profile Photo
Jul 01, 2016

Glasgow Necropolis

Through the jungle by the river Styx
I've journeyed long and far this day
Necropolis by Manilla Road (1983)

At the east side of the cathedral is the Glasgow Necropolis that can be reached through the small foot bridge. Although the paths were still wet because of the morning rain (my photos were a bit failure although the atmosphere was special).

I enjoyed my walk there in this peaceful old Victorian cemetery that is located on a low hill. The area was known as Fir Park after 1650 but for some reason in 1804 the fir trees started to die and replaced by elm and willow trees.

The only living creatures I met were 3 dogs with their owners but more than 50,000 individuals have been buried here. The foundation stone of John Know monument (on top of the hill) was laid in 1825 but the cemetery opened officially in 1833 although the first burial was that of a Jew a year earlier. There are many memorials and monuments (some designed by major sculptors or architects) and of course countless tombs (about 3500), some with stone walls while other blasted out of the rock. As you walk uphill there are larger monuments surrounding the John Knox monument.

mindcrime's Profile Photo
Feb 15, 2016

Pay a Visit to the Dead

The Necropolis is located behind the Cathedral. The foot bridge to access it is just to the right of the Cathedral, and it's definitely worth the visit. Some of the monuments you will find there are incredibly impressive and the place is huge. Though I would describe Glasgow as a city with incredible views, it's nice to get a glimpse of the city from the top of this big hill - especially looking back towards the Cathedral.

We visited on a sunny, but windy day. We walked around for a while taking in some of the impressive structures and would indeed have strolled a little longer if we weren't starving and ready for lunch. We both agreed it be a different experience to visit on a more gloomy day, but we were glad to have nice weather during our visit.

kehale's Profile Photo

122 Stockwell Street, Glasgow, G14LT, United Kingdom
Cumbernauld Road, Muirhead, Glasgow, G69 9BS, United Kingdom
Mill Street, Glasgow, G73 2LX, United Kingdom

Where the silence begins

I am kind of person who likes silent and extraordinary places. This is the one. I don't know if a graveyard can be called beautiful, but Necropolis definitely deserves being called like that. Astonishing. Walking alone or with your firends and admiring a giant heritage of Victoian times can be very calming experience for your body and soul. A must-see on Glasgow list of things to do.

adize's Profile Photo
Mar 15, 2012

Glasgow's City of the Dead

For some unconventional sightseeing, the Glasgow Necropolis found behind Glasgow Cathedral is an interesting place to visit. Crossing the bridge from the cathedral, you are transported to Glasgow's very own 'City of the Dead', a vast hilltop cemetery featuring some remarkably ornate (and expensive) tombs and memorials. This is the resting place for many of Glasgow's successful Victorian merchants who attempted to outdo each other in death as in life.
The website below is a great resource as you can find out a little about the merchants buried here before you visit. Walking tours of the Necropolis are available. Check out the Friends of Glasgow Necropolis website for more info. I would love to visit again on a brighter day and spend more time taking photos and taking in the hilltop vista.

slothtraveller's Profile Photo
Feb 15, 2012

Glasgow Necropolis

Now I'm not really one for walking around graveyards but this place I had read about and was supposed to be worth a look at. I wasn't disappointed.

A beautiful place to be buried in amongst the rich and the famous of Scotland. No small gravestones here. It was a case of the big and the brash.

This place is definitely worth spending a morning walking around.

"The monument to John Knox, which was erected in 1825, dominates the hill. The cemetery itself, like several in Edinburgh, was modelled on Père-Lachaise in Paris. According to David Williams' 'The Glasgow Guide', "a total of 50,000 burials have taken place here, with 3500 tombs being built".

vichatherly's Profile Photo
Apr 04, 2011

So many graves...

It's been a graveyard since recorded history.Lots of famous Victorian people are burried here. The 19th-century Glasgow merchant William Miller (1810-72), author of the "Wee Willie Winkie" nursery rhyme.

benidormone's Profile Photo
Apr 04, 2011
Hosell's Profile Photo

scotlandscotour's Profile Photo

"Glasgow Travel Tips - Scotland's Only "Real" City"
hevbell's Profile Photo

Drever's Profile Photo

IanMacPhail's Profile Photo

"Keeping up Appearances"

Glasgow Necropolis (cemetary)

Is there anyone else out there who just enjoys a good old cemetary walk through? I know, I'm weird, but I love taking in the solitude of an old cemetary, as well as the beautifully hand-carved headstones, tombs, and statuaries. In my opinion, Glasgow Necropolis is one of the best. Please take a look at my photos to see what I mean.

Modeled after Pere la Chaise cemetary in Paris (which I've also had the pleasure of visiting), the Glasgow Necropolis honors the dead from all class systems, religions and walks of life. Because the Necropolis is situated on a hill behind the Glasgow Cathedral, one is treated to a nice view from the highest point of the cemetary.

As always, a cemetary is great stomping ground for the history buff who wants to peer into the past of a city. The Glasgow Necropolis is not exception, as it is the final resting place for iron workers, engineers, inventors, ship builders, locomotive makers, scientists, factory owners, and business peopele of Victorian Glasgow. Monuments throughout the cemetary were designed by sculptors and architechts who built much of the city itself. The Necropolis is also the final resting place countless ordinary Glaswegians, who by and large made the city what it is today.

moirholj's Profile Photo
Jun 02, 2007

Glasgow Necropolis

Behind the Glasgow Cathedral, perched dramatically on a green hill and dominating the skyline with statues, gravestones, monuments, obelisks, and musoleums, is the "Glasgow Necropolis". What better way for us to spend an afternoon after a six-hour flight, being awake for more than 24 hours, and having walked all over Glasgow, than to climb up a 62-metre high hill to a cemetery?
The Necropolis was started by the the Merchants' House of Glasgow in 1831 (some sources say 1832) and modelled after "Pere Lachaise" cemetary in Paris. It was designed as a final resting place for Glasgow's wealthy, elite, and noblemen.
To date there are 3500 tombs and a total of 50,000 burials have taken place here.
A massive statue dedicated to John Knox, a Scottish Presbyterian reformist who died in 1572, was erected in 1825 and dominates over the graveyard.
The "Bridge of Sighs", used to access the Necopolis from behind the Cathedral, got its name because it is the route of the funeral processions on their way up the hill. (Inspired by a more famous crossing in Venice, Italy.)
Despite the Necropolis's appearance from lower lands, the site is very large so make sure if you wander off from your companions that you arrange a rendez-vous point in advance. Bring bottled water and wear a good pair of walking shoes, you’ll need them. No admission charge.

Kaspian's Profile Photo
Nov 02, 2005

Necropolis - a nice walk with a nice view

I love this view :-) Click on the picture and you'll get the real thing.
It's a short walk from Glasgow Cathedral to the top of Necropolis, literally a city for the dead. You can see quite far from there, and also have a look at all the graves, both younger and old. Strangely compelling!
What we noticed was the graves that had an "urne" on top of it, and on the top of it a sculpted drape(-like thing). We didn't know what it meant, but it came back when we visited other burial grounds (aren't we morbid...).
We also saw a deer running around on the grounds, which looked quite tame. We went closer and it didn't run away until we got within reach (wasn't even scared off by us;-) ).

Groentje's Profile Photo
Aug 31, 2004

Sorry - It's A Bit Spooky - But Interesting

The Glasgow Necropolis is one of the oldest burial grounds in the Glasgow area, it's probably not the most riveting or happy place to go to but it does have it's attractions. Most Glaswegians don't know it as it's "Sunday Name", preferring to call it the big cemetary behind the Royal Infirmary, it is a big place without a doubt and goes up a fair height, when it was designed it was done in such a way that the more affluent people had plots at the top of the hill, so in theory the more wealthy people could still look down on everyone ! And incidentally it even has it's own Bridge of Sighs, the bridge was the official entrance/walkway years ago in to the cemetary hence the name coming from the sadness of people entering. The burial ground is near to where the old Molendinar Burn flowed, and this was the source of an old brewery years ago, more importantly the cemetary was used because of the proximity of the hospital. Among the "residents" of the Necropolis are a few famous Glasgow traders and a man by the name of William Miller - more commonly known as the man that wrote about Wee Willie Winkie, and a fantastic tribute to John Knox. In addition it is rumoured it is the home of a rather strange species, it houses some wild deer, and being about 100yards from the busiest motorway in Scotland and also only 1 mile from the centre of Glasgow thats not bad.

RPW's Profile Photo
Jul 07, 2004

Things To Do Near Glasgow

The Lighthouse

I finally made a visit to The Lighthouse; it is in the city centre and has a range of exhibition spaces. They also have two viewing points. ONe has an elevator and the second is only accessible by...

Gallery of Modern Art

The last thing I did in Glasgow was to visit the Gallery of Modern Art (GoMA) that is located in a nice neoclassical building (1778) in Royal Exchange Square (just off Buchanan street). It opened in...

George Square

Glasgow's principal civic square in heart of the city and named after King George III. The square, laid out in 1781, is houses Glasgow City Council's headquarters and has an array of monuments and...

St. Mungo's Museum

Named after Glasgow’s patron saint this is a religious related museum located in front of the Glasgow Cathedral. St Mungo Museum of Religious Life and Art is housed in a building that was designed in...

Scottish Exhibition Centre

As we were wandering around the SECC area, I noticed an interesting looking small round building called the rotunda. I had no idea what it was till I looked it up. There are actually two rotunda...

Royal Concert Hall

I had never ventured inside the Royal Concert Hall, but on a recent visit to the city, I went inside. I had an enjoyable lunch in the cafe bar and spent some time looking around the public...

Getting to Glasgow

We don't yet have an address for this Things to Do. Help us improve our info!

We don't yet have hours for this Things to Do. Help us improve our info!