In 1965 A.D. the work was resumed for executing a project for desalination of sea water along the Kingdom coastline including Jeddah coast. The amount of desalinated water from 1415-1419 H was over 712,400,000 cubic meters.
Fresh drinking water in Jeddah has a long story. A hundred years ago, water used to be brought from Wazieria springs which were located about 6.8 miles away from Jeddah on the way to Makkah. This source was insufficient because it depended entirely on the rain water.
In 1907 a desalination system known as Kandasa, was imported, however it remained insufficient. In 1928 King Abdulaziz AL-Saud issued his directives that two more new systems for water desalination should be provided to meet the need of Jeddah population. Their efficiency started to decrease gradually because of the increase in Jeddah population and the annual flowing of pilgrims. King Abdul Aziz the founder of the Kingdom ordered that a project for supplying water to Jeddah form Wadi Fatma should be executed. With the continuous growth and development of Jeddah and its industrial revival, a new reliable source for supply of drinking water was sought in order to supply adequate daily amounts of water.