Map &

"Istanbul Sightseeing Tour Including Grand Bazaar
From EUR27.00
Tour of Istanbul's Two Continents with Lunch Included
From GBP69.00

Kumkapi District Tips (9)

Kumkapi District: Always fun & always delicious!

I have been coming to Kumkapi since the mid-1060's! I have never had a bad meal nor have I ever had an unpleasant time!
That being said one must understand that this is Istanbul,Turkey and it is also one of the major tourist attractions of the world. Having said that I will say that if you do nit check your bill, act politely, respect the culture than you will be targeted for retribution by these folks. Learn a few Turkish phrases, ask questions and above all be respectful...!

The seafood is always is always well prepared (not in the way you are used to back home) but always delicious...!!!

Kozzak's Profile Photo
May 07, 2016

Any in Kumkapi especially Eurem: DO NOT EAT HERE- TOURIST RIP OFF!

We had a similar bad experience as those posted below. puchy, rude waiters that bring you food you didn't order and make faces when you say you don't want it. I was told that 2 of things I wanted to order were not available to try and get me to order something more expensive! Long wait for food which came without anything except half a raw onion and half a lemon! Basic food with a large price. We were charged 15% service charge and 10TL for sitting on the balcony!!! The bill is handwritten so they can add anything they want in bad writing in another language so you can't question it. All in all, a terrible experience which we can't believe we fell for!

Jun 21, 2011

Aphrodit: Please Avoid this Tourist Trap

Aphrodit, like all the restaurants in Kumpaki, post a menu outside. Don't bother reading it, when you are inside the prices all change.
Turbot, 100 lira (£45) per KG. You are charged for water, which the waiter puts on the table and opens without asking. You are charged for mezze, which the waiter brings to the table on a tray and asks, what you want, without telling you, it is charged per dish and not some 'free nibbles' while you order. You pay 16 lira (£8) for about 8 pieces of clamari. 18 lira for lamb chops that when they came, for my friend I thought were a joke. it should have been in the kids menu. Two lamb chops, about as thin as folded paper and small as a child's lolipop and about 20 french fries. My fish, bream arreives with a slice of onion and lemon. Thats it, no sides. I was so disgusted by the restuarant and the feeling I had been 'duped' that I ate only a little of the fish paid and left and went to eat somewhere else.

the waiters were rude and pushy. If you read the other comments on this page about how good and authentic this place is, believe me, they must be employees or owners of the restaurants

Favorite Dish nothing

Mar 11, 2009

The Afrodita restaurant: disgusting experience

This is the one restaurant in Kumkapi to be avoided. As the taxi stopped at the front end of the street a "salesman" almost pushed us inside the empty, cold restaurant, promising us an unforgettable experience. Unforgettable it was: the restaurant was cold, the waiter trying to push all sorts of unsolicited advice and meals. The food was of poor quality, we waited for the fish 45 min to come, as though they were cooking a lamb, not grilling a fish. Last but not least, the bill: 105 YTL, roughly 50 euro for one grilled fish and two salads. The price for some of the fish is indicated "by Kg", misleading you to think it is next price in the menu.

One piece of advice: while in Istanbul, eat where the locals eat, rather than in empty restaurants, with pushy doormen. Check the menu and ask the price whenever your are not sure of it. Istanbul offers otherwise a wonderful culinary experience. Enjoy!

Jan 01, 2009

Demirtas Mah.Hayriye Hanim Sok.No:19., Suleymaniye, 34116
Kucuk Ayosofya Mahallesi Sehit Mehmet Pasa No:11/13, 34126
Kamerhatun Mah. Mesrutiyet Cad. No 44 , Beyoglu, 34437
Kemankes Cad. Galata Sarap Iskelesi Sok. No:10, 34425

Kor Agop: Seafood near the sea!

Kor Agop is one of many seafood restaurants and meyhanes in this lively area of Istanbul near the Sea of Marmara. We chose Kor Agop because our guidebook said that it had been operating since 1938 so we figured it must have decent food. As we had to wake up very early for our 6am flight the next morning, we were the only diners in the restaurant at 4:30pm. But they were more than happy to serve us dinner. I gather that they only serve what is available fresh that day as our menus were laminated and had prices marked in grease pen next to those items that were available. We ordered a couple of mezzes to start (eggplant and tomatoes, fava/broad beans) and two mains: fried bluefish and the shrimp cassarole. The cassarole came in a medium-sized ceramic dish and included, besides the shrimp, tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms, and a light cheese. A very rich dish and also very good. The bluefish were cooked well, fried with the tails and heads intact. And besides the rather bony spine, the entire fish was edible. The heads, in fact, were the best part as they were really crunchy! The mezzes were equally excellent. They also brought us some nice fresh crusty bread and we chased it all down with some bottled water. The entire meal, with service, came to 55 YTL ($44 US).

It was a nice last meal for our trip.

Favorite Dish Fried bluefish, shrimp cassarole.

Hopkid's Profile Photo
Apr 28, 2008

kumkapi restaurants: Delicious Seafood!

Do not miss the opportunity of eating fish in kumkapi restaurants! It's delicious! And the costs are reasonable.

Generally speaking, fish was the very food I liked in Istanbul. Plus one or two vegetable salads.

Narunj's Profile Photo
Aug 02, 2006

kumkapi restaurants: Local seafood

For a selection of sea food restaurants get yourself down gedik pasa cad Most of the restaurants are in competition with each other and offer the same fair, mostly a selection of cold appetizers bought to your table on a large tray you choose which dishes you want, followed by catch of the day cooked how you want it, to get there either get a taxi to the president Hotel (best western) and walk straight down the hill, or alternatively go to Kumkapi station, turn right walk till you come to left turn under railway bridge, then continue up hill.

Pete.Gibson's Profile Photo
Oct 10, 2005

kumkapi restaurants: Good and cheaper fish

Almost all the restaurants in Kumkapi are good and not expensive. Try their mezze before the main course. Here you must choose fish, so is very good. If you are lucky you will find local musicians singing popular turkish songs.

A tip to choose the restaurant is to look to see if there are turkish people inside. If so, don't hesitate, so you are sure is a good restaurant. If you only see tourists try another.

JOANCOLL's Profile Photo
Nov 18, 2004

Top 5 Istanbul Writers

neodue's Profile Photo

traveloturc's Profile Photo

"The only city in the world build in 2 continents"
Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

kumkapi restaurants: TURKEISH RESTAURANTS

Nov 05, 2004

Things To Do Near Kumkapi District

Zeynep Sultan Camii

The Zeynep Sultan Camii was built as a tribute by the Sultan Ahmed III for his daughter Zeynep and thus dates from the 1760s, the end of the Ottoman heyday and the beginning of the long decline...

Besiktas District

Beşiktaş is pronounced Beshiktash. It is an area on the European shores of the Bosphorus. Its name literally means Beşik = cradle, taş = stone, so Beşiktaş = cradle...

Serpentine Column - Twisted Column

The three interwined bronze serpents which form the Serpent Column were the base of a trophy that oce stood in the Temple of Apollo at Delphi. This trophy was dedicated to Apollo in gratitude by the...

Camlica Hill

I wouldn't have gone to Camlica Hill had I not taken a half-day tour. And I didn't originally intend to take a half-day tour...but that's another story. Camlica Hill is on the Asian side, in the...

Panorama 1453 Museum

"The Panorama Victory Museum" is located at the Miniaturk Park Museum and is at the Sutluce district ... Your eyes will witness the "War of Independence" and what really happened .... Here you can...

Isbank Museum

We stumbled upon this museum while looking for someplace else and were encouraged inside by the guards who seemed a little bored by the lack of visitors. It turned out to be very interesting. The...

Getting to Kumkapi District

We don't yet have an address for this Restaurants. Help us improve our info!

• Sunday 10:00 to 03:00