Map &

chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Johnston Canyon Icewalk
Hike on steel walkways built into the canyon walls and get an airy view of the canyon below. Travel through breathtaking scenery and nature on your way to the trail head and learn about the history and geology of Johnston Canyon.This popular wal""Join this small-group Banff guided tour and hike on steel walkways which have been built into the canyon walls. Travel through prime wildlife habitat and learn how Johnston Canyon was formed. You'll be led past lower falls and end up at breathtaking uptitle=Icewalk+Highlights&1=Enjoy+a+beautiful+tour+of+the+Johnston+Canyon+Icewalk%AE&2=Look+out+for+the+various+types+of+wildlife+which+inhabit+the+area&3=Learn+about+the+history+and+geology+of+the+area+from+your+knowledgeable+guide&4=Complimentary+pick"""Banff Canada"
From CAD71.00

Winter Tour: Banff and its Wildlife
"Build a connection to the World Heritage Site as you visit Banff's landmarks and view wildlife in their natural winter habitat. Hear how the history of the Bow Valley changed when three railway workers rediscovered a hidden treasure. See and le habitat and their winter survival adaptations. This is Banff's best tour for viewing wildlife and animal species are seen on 95% of the tours. Please note: This tour is seasonal and only operates from December through April.""""Join a personalized small-group tour and discover beautiful Banff in the winter! Over three hours your local guide will point out all the landmarks and wildlife in their natural habitat particularly their ability to survive the cold winter months."title=Tour+Highlights&1=Enjoy+a+sightseeing+tour+of+Banff+and+its+wildlife&2=Visit+historic+places+and+famous+landmarks&3=Learn+about+the+history+and+geology+of+the+area+from+your+knowledgeable+guide&4=Complimentary+pickup+and+drop+off+from+most+Banff+hot
From CAD62.00

Maligne Valley and Wildlife Tour
"There’s only one way to see the splendor that is the winter wildlife and nature of Jasper National Park. This guided tour takes you in a van through the most stunning sites of the park including Athabasca Valley Maligne Valley and Medicine Lake. See the diversity in the National Park as the van rolls along. There is minimal walking. Get great photos of animals along the way including Elk deer sheep goats
From CAD68.00

Lake Louise Tips (17)

Lake Louise - Most Popular Tourist Spot in Banff

Have you seen the photos of Lake Louise? No? .... !! Then I suggest you google it right now!!!

This place is so popular because it is not only a photographer dream ...... but also a romantic sensation :o)

We had spent an almost full day enjoying our drive from Jasper to Banff (more about that in my travelogue). The afternoon sun was harsh and we knew we had to make it to Banff before it got dark.

I saw the sign to Lake Louise and MADE hubby take the turn. Howie wasn't too impressed as he just wanted to get into town. But nevertheless we are all glad that we saw Lake Louise. I envy those of you that can spend more time here... and even more so for those of you that get to stay in that fabulous luxury hotel overlooking the lake!! :o)

Unfortunately the late afternoon light wasn't the best for photography, so I used the fisheye lens for better effect :o)

aussirose's Profile Photo
aussirose
Dec 24, 2015

Lake Louise

We were here early morning and the areas are already full with bus tourist and cars especially it was on Sunday and many locals too from other state coming for a visit. The lake is a short walk from the parking lot

First thing as I saw the frozen lake was immediately a WOW I have no other words to say I'm so speechless. Here, I've seated for a while and just watched the lake and the mountain behind which still covering of snow

The beauty of Lake Louise is hard to describe, indescribably gorgeous!. Lake Louise is an iconic symbol of the beauty of Banff National Park in Canada. I'm wondering why Alberta is famous for his destination, now I got it. The state is not only about the rockies it also about the lakes, I've waited so long for this

shavy's Profile Photo
shavy
Jul 12, 2014

Hiking yes, zip-lining no.

At Lake Louise, our party of 2 adults and 3 teenagers hiked up to Lake Agnes and the Plain of the Six Glaciers to the teahouse at the Six Glaciers. Great homemade soup with scones and tea at the teahouse. What a view! A must do for any hikers in your group.

Also hiked near Moraine Lake to the Larch Valley viewpoint, just short of Sentinel Pass (didn't leave enough time or energy for Sentinel Pass but would do that next time.) Larch Valley is another great hike. Both hikes doable in 3 hours with a moderate elevation gain.

We also tried zip-lining our Kicking Horse River in Yoho National Park, about an hour away from town of Banff. Expensive for only one true zip-line station across the river with two intro stations. Wouldn't do that again.

Still-water kayaking on the Bow River was really nice and peaceful. Didn't see enough wildlife but it was nice. The guide, Astrid, was great too. Booked through the Banff Adventures outfit on Bear St.

brfnp
Aug 04, 2010

Skating at Lake Louise

In the wintertime, a small part of Lake Louise right in front of the Chateau Lake Louise is cleared off so people can skate on it for free. There is no place to change inside, but there are benches to change into your skates and a rack to leave your shoes. I just left my shoes and purse under the bench and it was fine.

I went the weekend after the Ice Festival, so all of the ice carvings were still up, including the castle which is right on the lake. Good for
photo ops.

Make sure to dress very warmly! The temperature wasn't too low the day I went (around -5 C), but the wind was fast and hard and make it very chilly. Since the skating rink is on a natural lake, there can be bumps and cracks, so be aware of that.

Karlie85's Profile Photo

102 Spray Ave, Banff, Alberta, T0L 0C0, Canada
One Sunshine Access Road, Banff, Alberta, T1L 1J5, Canada
300 Mountain Avenue, Box 1110, Banff, Alberta, T1L 1J2, Canada
Hotels
Hwy. 93 South -Banff-Windermere Highway, Box 3249, Banff, Alberta, T1L 1C8, Canada
Box 875, Banff, Alberta, T1L 1A9, Canada

Aquamarine Lake Louise

Named for Princess Louise Caroline Alberta, daughter of Queen Victoria, Lake Louise is 5680 feet above sea level. I would consider this one of the most beautiful lakes in the western hemisphere. The world famous Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise sits opposite Mt. Victoria and Victoria Glacier on the lake. The striking turquoise color is created by the melting glacier silt.
Swimming is impossible due to the year-round frigid temperatures. There is also Lake Louise Gondola here for more splendid views.

807Wheaton's Profile Photo
807Wheaton
Sep 13, 2008

Seasonal Fun Year Round.

If you like to skate, what better backdrop! I loved the Ice Castle and the horse drawn sleigh.

Take a hike around the lake, nothing too strenous but always lovely.

This time I didn't go inside the Chateau, I looks very newish from the outside. I wonder if it still has old world charm like I remember?

lohki's Profile Photo
lohki
Jan 12, 2006

Lake Louise

The dramatic view of Lake Louise will take away the breath of even the most jaded person. An emerald lake leads to the snow capped mountains of Mount Temple (3543 m), Mount Whyte (2983 m) and Mount Niblock (2976 m). The emerald colour of the lake comes from rock flour carried into the lake by melt-water from the glaciers that overlook the lake.

The village has a small shopping centre called "Samson Mall" which includes a park visitor centre, grocery store, bakery, sporting goods store, liquor store, and fast-food establishments.

Lake Louise is named after the Princess Louise Caroline Alberta (1848-1939), the fourth daughter of Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom, and the wife of Sir John Campbell, who was the Governor General of Canada from 1878 to 1883. The province of Alberta is also named for the Princess Louise.

Blatherwick's Profile Photo
Blatherwick
Aug 31, 2005

Lake Louise

This lake and its famous glacier is about an hour from Banff on the Trans-Canada Highway. One look at the picture and you'll realize why it is a destination for a constant stream of tourists. Despite the crowds, though, the trail along the edge of the lake that heads toward the glacier is a must-do activity. It's a moderate trail, although you can take a harder one that branches off of it, and it gives you great views of the glacier, and of the famous Chateau Lake Lousie that sits on the lake's edge.

londonlover's Profile Photo
londonlover
Aug 26, 2005
Mikebb's Profile Photo

Mikebb

"Banff & Rocky Mountains On My Top 5 Destinations"
Waalewiener's Profile Photo

Waalewiener

"Banff the first Town on our Canadian Rockies trip"
GentleSpirit's Profile Photo

doreenellen's Profile Photo

doreenellen

"Banff"

Chateau Lake Louise

Chateau Lake Louise is part of the Fairmont hotel chain, just like Banff Springs Hotel. Once again, even if you can't afford to stay there, you should still go for a visit. The Chateau is a beautiful resort and once you're done hanging out in the rest area, you can go (depending on the season) hiking, canoeing, mountain biking, fly fishing, horseback riding, skiing or snowshoeing.

Jefie's Profile Photo
Jefie
Apr 28, 2005

Lake Louise Chateau

When visiting Lake Louise, you must go into the Chatteau. There are parts of the hotel open to the public, including the grand reception area, shops etc which holds 1100 guests in 550 rooms.
The hotel was named after Princess Louise Caroine Alberta who was the fourth daughter of Queen Victoria and the wife of the Governor General of Canada in 1884. Sister hotel to Banff Springs hotel.
The costs can be around 1000 dollars a night I understand and the rich and famous often stay in these tranquil surroundings.
There is also a Hot Srings you can use

doreenellen's Profile Photo
doreenellen
Jan 28, 2005

Chateau Lake Louise

The Chateau Lake Louise, once a royal chateau..is now a world famous hotel. Even if you aren't planning on staying at the hotel..its a must see!
The Chateau has various levels, and the view from the patios is amazing! An unforgetful experience...

sassy85's Profile Photo
sassy85
Oct 31, 2003

Chateau Lake Louise

The Chateau at Lake Louise is a must see! ITs a gorgeous buliding...once a royal chateau..it is now a world famous hotel.
Even if you aren;t staying at the hotel, its great to visit and check it out. There are various levels at the chateau..and the view from the some of the patios is magnificent!

sassy85's Profile Photo
sassy85
Oct 31, 2003

Things to Do Near Banff

Bow Falls

Early Sunday morning, we were in town and looking to kill some time, and we ended up hiking along this trail - you take Banff ave across the river, and the trailhead begins about here. For the first...

Upper Hot Springs

We only had 1 day to sight-see in Banff. We had spent the previous day on the road from Jasper so today we just wanted to do something local. Perfect! I had seen pictures of the hot springs and...

Buffalo Nations Luxton Museum

This was one of the best museums I visited on this trip, the everyday scences resembling the life of the Buffalo Nation People are outstanding. Our visit gave me an understanding of these people which...

Johnston Canyon

We decided to begin our trip with a visit to Johnston Canyon, one of the parks most popular hikes. Perhaps we should have picked another time than a gorgeous Sunday afternoon because the trail was...

Cave and Basin

Tourism in the area started here with this Hot springs Cave. Today bathing is no longer allowed in the cave ( you can view it though) but you can still visit the site and hike the trails in the nearby...

Hiking/Trails

One of the most easily accessible alpine meadows in the Rockies is the Sunshine Meadows area, just west of Banff. A ski area in the summer, the Sunshine Meadows complex stays open in the summer to...

Getting to Banff

Address

We don't yet have an address for this Things to Do. Help us improve our info!

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Things to Do. Help us improve our info!

Map