map
chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Private Tour: Gardens of Vancouver
"Your private tour starts with a stop at the beautiful Dr. Sun Yat Sen Classical Chinese Garden in Vancouver's Chinatown. The Chinese have a totally different perspective on what a garden should be and it must be seen to be understood. Take a short wal you travel to the highest point in the city the spectacular Queen Elisabeth Park and its sunken gardens. Originally a rock quarry for the early development of downtown it is now a spectacular garden and view point. Finally you'll enjoy the breathtaking Van Dusen Botanical Garden with an amazing array of what nature has to offer. This mature 55 acre (22 hectare) garden features displays of plants in picturesque landscape settings. Specific garden areas are planted to illust"""Spend a half-day in Vancouver's wonderful gardens on this private and personalized tour. Beauty
From CAD161.00

Vancouver City Sightseeing Tour
"After pickup from select hotels Vancouver hotels your 4-hour tour starts in Gastown Vancouver's historic district. Stride along cobbled streets past 19th-century buildings. Listen to engaging commentary from your guide about the popular landmarks as you pass. Soak up the lively cultural atmosphere of Chinatown one of North America's largest Chinatowns and drive through Robson Street Vancouver's trendy shopping district in the heart of downtown Vancouver.Enter the urban oasis of Stanley Park and see Brockton Point’s nine historic totem poles built by the First People in British Columbia. Ascend to Prospect Point the highest point of Stanley Park
From CAD75.00

Best of Vancouver Private Evening City Tour
"This 3-hour small-group private tour includes the service of a professional local guide and vehicle and is available for groups as small as two or as large as needed. Small groups will travel in Luxury SUVs or Cadillac touring limos with all seats facing forward and easy in and out.Your talented local guides will show you the best that Vancouver has to offer. The tour starts with 6pm pickup at your hotel. Afterwards you'll visit famous attractions such as Stanley Park and the Lions Gate Bridge. Then stop at Chinatown the second largest on the west coast of North America and one of Vancouver's oldest neighborhoods before heading to Gastown
From CAD104.00

Stanley Park Tips (54)

Stanley Park - Trees

Favorite thing Stanley park is all about the trees. It is 1000 acres of natural rainforest. The park has many walking trails. We spent more time walking round the edges than in the centre. To see it all you need more than one day.

Jun 11, 2015

Lost Lagoon - Stanley Park

Favorite thing Lost Lagoon was originally part of Coal Harbour. At low tide it would turn into mud flats. The first nations people gathered seafood here. With the construction of the Stanley Park causeway in 1916 Lost Lagoon became permanently detached from the sea.

The name Lost Lagoon comes from a poem written by Canadian writer Pauline Johnson. She had a Mohawk father and an English mother. She liked to sit lost in contemplation by this lagoon hence its name.

The lagoon has a fountain in the middle. It is home to many species of birds. As we sat next to it we suddenly heard a soft but clear farting sound. I looked at my husband. He looked at me. The sound came again. To our surprise we realised it was the call of a strange little duck. We had to move away as there were people approaching and we did not want them to think the embarrassing sounds were us.

After Lost Lagoon we finally left the beautiful Stanley Park.

The Ted and Mary Greig Rhododendron Garden

Favorite thing We could not leave Stanley Park without visiting The Ted and Mary Greig Rhododendron Garden as it was April and the rhododendrons were in full bloom. This Garden was named after two of British Columbia's most renowned rhododendron hybridizers - Ted and Mary Greig. When they retired in the 1960s, they donated thousands of plants to Stanley Park from their nursery on Vancouver Island. These gardens were absolutely stunning. A blaze of colour.

Second Beach - Stanley Park

Favorite thing Second Beach was a welcome sight because it meant we had almost finished walking right round the park. Like Third Beach, Second Beach is sandy. It is easier to get to than Third Beach so no doubt gets more crowded in summer. There is a large outdoor heated pool here, but it was not in operation when we visited. It was too cold. There are also toilets.

Sponsored Listings

Hotels Near Vancouver

898 West Broadway, Vancouver, British Columbia, V5Z 1J8, Canada
2006 West 14th Ave, Vancouver, British Columbia, V6J 2K4, Canada
Hotels
711 West Broadway, @ Heather Street, Vancouver, British Columbia, V5Z 3Y2, Canada
Hotels
1253 Johnston Street, Granville Island, Vancouver, British Columbia, V6H 3R9, Canada
Hotels
205 Kingsway, (formerly Comfort Inn), Vancouver, British Columbia, V5T 3J5, Canada
322 Davie Street, Vancouver, British Columbia, V6B 5Z6, Canada

Hollow Tree - Stanley Park

Favorite thing This is where I annoyed my husband because I insisted we doubled back into the park's interior to find the hollow tree after we left Third Beach. Yet more walking. I must admit our feet were getting a little sore by this point.

Hollow tree is around 700 to 800 year old. It is a Western Red Cedar tree stump. Around the bottom of it there are old photos showing people posing inside it, a car inside it and even an elephant inside it.

Hollow tree was badly damaged by the severe windstorm in December 2006 and was to be removed but a campaign to preserve it prevented it being destroyed.

Siwash Rock - Stanley Park

Favorite thing A first nations legend tells the story of a young chief who was brave, strong and upright in his traditions. He married a young girl from the north and they longed for a child. At last the girl got pregnant. When the child was due, they went swimming in order to purify their bodies in preparation for parenthood. The young girl returned to the shore to give birth, but the chief kept swimming. Four giants in a canoe approached him and demanded that he left the water and got out of their way, because they had magical powers and they would lose them if they came into too close contact with a human. The chief refused explaining that he was swimming for the purity of his coming child, so the giants turned him into a stone. The stone stands in the water at the top of Stanley park and represents clean fatherhood.

Lions Gate Bridge

Favorite thing At the north end of the park there is a good view of the Lions Gate Bridge. It crosses over the narrows of Burrard Inlet. We passed under it on the sea wall. This bridge connects Vancouver to North and West Vancouver.

The Lions Gate Bridge first opened in 1938. Lions actually refers to two mountains in North Vancouver, but a pair of concrete lions, designed by sculptor Charles Marega, were placed on either side of the south end of the bridge in January 1939. We passed over this bridge by bus when we visited Lighthouse Park.

Beaver Lake Continued

Favorite thing I have too many photos for one tip as all the animals I seemed to meet came right up to me. Some of my photos are blurry because they were too close. Oh and I better add some pictures of the actual lake, too.

Top 5 Vancouver Writers

Carmanah's Profile Photo

Carmanah

"A Local's Perspective"
rmdw's Profile Photo

rmdw

"Vancouver, BC - Canada's Pacific Gem!"
jamiesno's Profile Photo

jamiesno

"Vancouver, BC, Canada!"
spitball's Profile Photo

spitball

"Vancouver, my current home"
joiwatani's Profile Photo

joiwatani

"Vancouver,the best neighbor city of the USA!"

Beaver Lake - Stanley Park

Favorite thing We came off the sea wall for a while to walk to Beaver Lake via a forest trail. The lake is small enough to walk around easily. I hoped we might see beavers but we did not. Instead as I walked around I was passing a little bridge when a little squirrel leapt out at me. As I tried to take its photo another squirrel leapt out. As I tried to photo it, a small bird tried to land on my hand. The squirrels were so tame they came right up to me.

All around the lake there were lovely yellow water flowers. The lake was home to many species of ducks including some I had never seen before.

Stanley Park - Totem Poles

Favorite thing Stanley Park is home to some wonderful First Nations totem poles. One of the highlights of the park for me. The totem poles are located at Brockton Point.

Three gateways created by Coast Salish artist Susan Point lead to the totem poles. These beautiful gateways took three years to make and were installed in 2008.

There are nine totem poles at Brockton Point. The first of these was purchased in 1920. Four of the totem poles are from Alert Bay on Vancouver Island; others are from the Queen Charlotte Islands and Rivers Inlet.

Stanley Park

Favorite thing Stanley Park is a huge park, around 1000 acres. It was originally home to the Squamish First Nations people, but they were forcibly removed and resettled in 1888.

The park is called after Lord Stanley who had just been appointed governor general of British Columbia when the park opened in 1886.

The interior of the park is covered with rainforest. The coastal part of the park is surrounded by seawall. We walked all the way round this as well as visiting some of the sights the park has to offer. Even though we spent the whole day here, we could not see everything. It is just too big.

The park is home to Vancouver Aquarium which we did not visit. I am going to write separate tips for the parts of the park I enjoyed most.

HORSE DRAWN TOURS @ STANLEY PARK

Favorite thing I was very disappointed that we ran out of time to take the Horse Drawn tour of Stanley park.
The cost of this tour was included in our Vancouver card, which we had purchased for sightseeing in Vancouver.

We saw it, and passed it in Stanley park, what a great way to get around and to see the sites, clip, clop, clip, clop, a nice slow pace, and ideal for taking many photo's without any glare, as it is open air.

A guide fully narrates the tour which passes byDeadman's Island, Vancouver's Harbour, Lions Gate Bridge, a Coastal Red Cedar Forest, and includes stops at the Totem Poles, the Girl in a Wet Suit Statue, the S.S. Empress of Japan Figurehead, and the Rose Garden.

Tickets available only at the Horse-Drawn Tour Kiosk in Stanley Park.

Only seating for 20 people.
Departs every 30mins.
Cost in 2010......$28.99 Adults....$15.99 .....children [3-12yr old]

Fondest memory http://www.stanleyparktours.com/

balhannah's Profile Photo
balhannah
May 16, 2010

Things to Do Near Vancouver

South Granville Rise

South Granville (also called "South Granville Rise") is an upscale shopping district south of downtown Vancouver. The heart of South Granville's commercial area spans along Granville Street between...

VanDusen Botanical Gardens

Vancouver's wet climate produces some of the most lush gardens in North America. Because of the climate and the mild temperatures, Vancouver's gardens are vibrant and green year round. This is unlike...

Bloedel Conservatory

The Bloedel Conservatory is a small round building located in Queen Elizabeth Park. I had read another Mother's review of it online and figured it would be a great place to spend an afternoon with our...

Queen Elizabeth Park

The Bloedel Conservatory is located in Queen Elizabeth Park at the top of Little Mountain. It is a large dome overlooking the city and the mountains. Inside this dome is a large temperature controlled...

Totem Poles

Located in the northeast area of Stanley Park, the First Nations artwork area is most famous for its totem poles. However, there are also several other pieces of artwork here. This includes a Story...

Granville Island

Enjoyed all of the restaurants & shops. This was a real foodie paradise with markets, gourmet shops and all sorts of items cooking. We took a water taxi to Granville and the trolley back to our hotel.

Getting to Vancouver

Address

We don't yet have an address for this General. Help us improve our info!

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this General. Help us improve our info!

Map