Map &

chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Private Tour: Gardens of Vancouver
"Your private tour starts with a stop at the beautiful Dr. Sun Yat Sen Classical Chinese Garden in Vancouver's Chinatown. The Chinese have a totally different perspective on what a garden should be and it must be seen to be understood. Take a short wal you travel to the highest point in the city the spectacular Queen Elisabeth Park and its sunken gardens. Originally a rock quarry for the early development of downtown it is now a spectacular garden and view point. Finally you'll enjoy the breathtaking Van Dusen Botanical Garden with an amazing array of what nature has to offer. This mature 55 acre (22 hectare) garden features displays of plants in picturesque landscape settings. Specific garden areas are planted to illust"""Spend a half-day in Vancouver's wonderful gardens on this private and personalized tour. Beauty
From CAD161.00

Vancouver City Sightseeing Tour
"After pickup from select hotels Vancouver hotels your 4-hour tour starts in Gastown Vancouver's historic district. Stride along cobbled streets past 19th-century buildings. Listen to engaging commentary from your guide about the popular landmarks as you pass. Soak up the lively cultural atmosphere of Chinatown one of North America's largest Chinatowns and drive through Robson Street Vancouver's trendy shopping district in the heart of downtown Vancouver.Enter the urban oasis of Stanley Park and see Brockton Point’s nine historic totem poles built by the First People in British Columbia. Ascend to Prospect Point the highest point of Stanley Park
From CAD75.00

Best of Vancouver Private Evening City Tour
"This 3-hour small-group private tour includes the service of a professional local guide and vehicle and is available for groups as small as two or as large as needed. Small groups will travel in Luxury SUVs or Cadillac touring limos with all seats facing forward and easy in and out.Your talented local guides will show you the best that Vancouver has to offer. The tour starts with 6pm pickup at your hotel. Afterwards you'll visit famous attractions such as Stanley Park and the Lions Gate Bridge. Then stop at Chinatown the second largest on the west coast of North America and one of Vancouver's oldest neighborhoods before heading to Gastown
From CAD104.00

Behaviour & manners Tips (10)

You know you're from Vancouver when.....

1. Your coworker has 8 body piercings and none are visible.

2. You make over $250,000 and still can't afford a house.

3. You take a bus and are shocked at 2 people carrying on a conversation in English.

4. You know what these acronyms mean: PNE, VPL, GVRD, YVR.

5. You're shocked when it snows in the winter.

6. You've had California roll for lunch.

7. Know more than 10 ways to order coffee.

8. Know how to pronounce Coquihalla.

9. A really great parking space can move you to tears.

10. Your hairdresser is straight, your plumber is gay, the woman who delivers your mail is into BDSM, and your next door neighbour grows weed.

11. The guy at 8:30 am at Starbucks wearing the baseball cap and sunglasses who looks like George Clooney IS George Clooney.

12. Your car insurance costs as much as your house payment.

13. The gym is packed at 3 PM ....on a work day.

14. Can tell the difference between Japanese, Chinese and Thai food.

15. You watch the weather from a Seattle TV station because it's more accurate (see 18).

16. You pass an elementary school and the children are all busy with their cell phones or pagers while waiting for their personal rides home.

17. You're sure you're the only one on the road with a REAL driver's license.

18. You don't even listen when the forecast announces "chance of showers";

19. The more expensive the car, the worse the driver.

20. Can taste the difference between Starbucks, Second Cup, and Tim Horton's.

21. Feel guilty throwing aluminum cans or paper in the trash.

22. You're not suprised to see geese throughout the whole year.

23. You cant remember.... is pot still illegal?

24. If there's a day of snowfall, however, you consider not going to school/work.

25. You realize there are far more Rainbow flags in the city than Canadian flags.

26. Can name 10 starbucks locations in less than a minute.

kettravels's Profile Photo
kettravels
May 05, 2005

A Local with a Message 'Beyond Boundaries"

We had seen this vehicle being driven along Robson Street a few days earlier and now had the chance to catch it on camera. We saw him again a few days later, this time the car was parked and he got upset if you took a photo, I think he wanted money.

I do not know if vehicles like this are a local custom, but it the only one I have seen and it was in Vancouver.

Mikebb's Profile Photo
Mikebb
Jan 29, 2008

What Do You Do?

I have heard the question "What Do You Do?" asked many times in Van... out East we take this to be a question about your means of employment, but I have discovered that many denizens of Vancouver are asking a question with subtly different implications. The question is more aptly expressed as "how are you living your life?" Speak of your dreams, your passions, and your hobbies - or your career, if that is the main thing in your life. I think it is useful to know that culturally, Vancouverites are much more "life-oriented" and less "career-focused" than most Torontonians. That's my interpretation anyway!

OrganicNoise's Profile Photo
OrganicNoise
May 10, 2006

So, So Friendly

On all of my travels, I don't think I've encountered a group of people as accomodating and generally friendly as those I met in Vancouver. I admit that it did get a bit tiresome hearing how lovely my accent was for the umpteenth time, but everyone just seemed so happy to help, and it gave me a fantastic impression of the city!

Meadows11's Profile Photo
Meadows11
Mar 04, 2005

Sponsored Listings

Hotels Near Vancouver

898 West Broadway, Vancouver, British Columbia, V5Z 1J8, Canada
2006 West 14th Ave, Vancouver, British Columbia, V6J 2K4, Canada
Hotels
711 West Broadway, @ Heather Street, Vancouver, British Columbia, V5Z 3Y2, Canada
Hotels
1253 Johnston Street, Granville Island, Vancouver, British Columbia, V6H 3R9, Canada
Hotels
205 Kingsway, (formerly Comfort Inn), Vancouver, British Columbia, V5T 3J5, Canada
322 Davie Street, Vancouver, British Columbia, V6B 5Z6, Canada

I'm American- Don't Hurt Me

The people of Vancouver are some of the nicest people I have ever came across in my life. They obviously could tell by my accent that I was American, and they welcomed me with open arms! They were mostly curious about where I was from (Florida) and offered any tips and advice I needed. Everyone from the hotel employees, to the vendors on the streets, were super nice and friendly, and just very low-key and mellow :)

FlirtyFlorida's Profile Photo
FlirtyFlorida
Aug 25, 2004

Don't Eat Fast Food

Don't eat fast food (ie mcdonalds, bruger king, those disgusting street hot dog vendors) when you are 10 ft away from some of the best restaurants in the city. It really bothers me when I see tourists doing this.

morgueanne
Jul 27, 2006

Canadians get very friendly...

Canadians get very friendly and helpful. You can see people smiling and saying hi everywhere. They also give you geniune recommendation when you are shopping or eating. So don't e afraid to ask what's their recommended dishes or for directions.

However, it might be a test to your patience when you are in a queue and in a hurry. :P

joopbie's Profile Photo
joopbie
Aug 25, 2002

I found Canadians to be very...

I found Canadians to be very understanding of my poor English. When I first came here I pretended to understand when I did not. That was a mistake. If you tell them that you do not understand, they are very nice and help you to understand.

vanstudent

Top 5 Vancouver Writers

Carmanah's Profile Photo

Carmanah

"A Local's Perspective"
rmdw's Profile Photo

rmdw

"Vancouver, BC - Canada's Pacific Gem!"
jamiesno's Profile Photo

jamiesno

"Vancouver, BC, Canada!"
spitball's Profile Photo

spitball

"Vancouver, my current home"
joiwatani's Profile Photo

joiwatani

"Vancouver,the best neighbor city of the USA!"
View Member

Don't take it the wrong way if...

Don't take it the wrong way if we ask you something about your life, we are friendly people, and this is how we interact! I know in Europe it seems to cross boundaries to make conversation with a stranger, but here in Canada it is everyday life.

KatRN

Van-ROCK-city!

okay, sticking out your tongue must be a local habit or something...
But these guys rock! They showed us the good spots in town and drove us to Whistler.

don_thomas's Profile Photo
don_thomas
Jun 19, 2004

Things to Do Near Vancouver

South Granville Rise

South Granville (also called "South Granville Rise") is an upscale shopping district south of downtown Vancouver. The heart of South Granville's commercial area spans along Granville Street between...

VanDusen Botanical Gardens

Vancouver's wet climate produces some of the most lush gardens in North America. Because of the climate and the mild temperatures, Vancouver's gardens are vibrant and green year round. This is unlike...

Bloedel Conservatory

The Bloedel Conservatory is a small round building located in Queen Elizabeth Park. I had read another Mother's review of it online and figured it would be a great place to spend an afternoon with our...

Queen Elizabeth Park

The Bloedel Conservatory is located in Queen Elizabeth Park at the top of Little Mountain. It is a large dome overlooking the city and the mountains. Inside this dome is a large temperature controlled...

Totem Poles

Located in the northeast area of Stanley Park, the First Nations artwork area is most famous for its totem poles. However, there are also several other pieces of artwork here. This includes a Story...

Granville Island

Enjoyed all of the restaurants & shops. This was a real foodie paradise with markets, gourmet shops and all sorts of items cooking. We took a water taxi to Granville and the trolley back to our hotel.

Getting to Vancouver

Address

We don't yet have an address for this Local Customs. Help us improve our info!

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Local Customs. Help us improve our info!

Map