map
chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Private Tour: Gardens of Vancouver
"Your private tour starts with a stop at the beautiful Dr. Sun Yat Sen Classical Chinese Garden in Vancouver's Chinatown. The Chinese have a totally different perspective on what a garden should be and it must be seen to be understood. Take a short wal you travel to the highest point in the city the spectacular Queen Elisabeth Park and its sunken gardens. Originally a rock quarry for the early development of downtown it is now a spectacular garden and view point. Finally you'll enjoy the breathtaking Van Dusen Botanical Garden with an amazing array of what nature has to offer. This mature 55 acre (22 hectare) garden features displays of plants in picturesque landscape settings. Specific garden areas are planted to illust"""Spend a half-day in Vancouver's wonderful gardens on this private and personalized tour. Beauty
From CAD161.00

Vancouver City Sightseeing Tour
"After pickup from select hotels Vancouver hotels your 4-hour tour starts in Gastown Vancouver's historic district. Stride along cobbled streets past 19th-century buildings. Listen to engaging commentary from your guide about the popular landmarks as you pass. Soak up the lively cultural atmosphere of Chinatown one of North America's largest Chinatowns and drive through Robson Street Vancouver's trendy shopping district in the heart of downtown Vancouver.Enter the urban oasis of Stanley Park and see Brockton Point’s nine historic totem poles built by the First People in British Columbia. Ascend to Prospect Point the highest point of Stanley Park
From CAD75.00

Best of Vancouver Private Evening City Tour
"This 3-hour small-group private tour includes the service of a professional local guide and vehicle and is available for groups as small as two or as large as needed. Small groups will travel in Luxury SUVs or Cadillac touring limos with all seats facing forward and easy in and out.Your talented local guides will show you the best that Vancouver has to offer. The tour starts with 6pm pickup at your hotel. Afterwards you'll visit famous attractions such as Stanley Park and the Lions Gate Bridge. Then stop at Chinatown the second largest on the west coast of North America and one of Vancouver's oldest neighborhoods before heading to Gastown
From CAD104.00

Downtown Eastside Tips (62)

Crime and Drugs

The downtown and East side are havens for drug addicts and criminals . Avoid at all cost drug dealers will harass you and criminals will target you . Vancouver has become a modern day skid row everywhere . Never going back !!

Runforit
Apr 29, 2016

Was attacked by a AIDS infecrted female

Yes, I went to the Van Eastside, after being told it "was not that dangerous". A female IV drug user tried to assault me saying she was going to stick me with the needle she was waving in her hand, and told me she had AIDS. Did not merely want my money but seemed to be in a psychotic rage. I narrowly escaped.Scariest experience in my life.

uk-traveler
Sep 28, 2015

Experience

It's good to go to these places to experience what they're like. You can't close your eyes to the east side of Vancouver because it would leave you ignorant and inexperienced in your knowledge about the city. Don't look for altercation and you won't find it. In my opinion it's a must see when visiting this beautiful city.

pwraggcan's Profile Photo
pwraggcan
Apr 04, 2013

Hastings&Main

Hello my friends & Travelers"
This wounderful world we live in,we have a place called ",The best place on earth" Vancouver bc. Beautiful wounderful green and amazing.I have to say its true.Then again we have are ups and downs like any other country mabe a little newer too the crazzie stuff we have been brought to except.With all the multiy cultrul peps. Are amazing young lands is now becomin old as the rest of every other country.,drugs ,hunger ,hate.Soo anyway hastings isn t a bad place ,just a place the ones who have been beaten down, down like hard. We as a commumity should be more ashamed as to not pull together,As I have a homeless uncle who does not collect welfare or any support from any hand outs.He is fine yet he let the society go and also family. As whn he was child they hung him upside down in a toitet out house, I mean for many hours ,many days, many years, and yet he dont care yet he aint a user.He was not a bad person, but was showed that he never ment notnin. From young never will no better so how or any judge. East hastings may be a bad place true ..But for the forgotten ones its a home .They are comfortable the peps make it welcome ,and when I find my uncle again >I hope too so ,
I can hugg and tell him I love him ..as he is just as werthy as me xox jenn

jenniferch
May 17, 2012

Sponsored Listings

Hotels Near Vancouver

898 West Broadway, Vancouver, British Columbia, V5Z 1J8, Canada
2006 West 14th Ave, Vancouver, British Columbia, V6J 2K4, Canada
Hotels
711 West Broadway, @ Heather Street, Vancouver, British Columbia, V5Z 3Y2, Canada
Hotels
1253 Johnston Street, Granville Island, Vancouver, British Columbia, V6H 3R9, Canada
Hotels
205 Kingsway, (formerly Comfort Inn), Vancouver, British Columbia, V5T 3J5, Canada
322 Davie Street, Vancouver, British Columbia, V6B 5Z6, Canada

DTES- note to ignorant people

Of course if you have heard about the downtown eastside, its probably the best place to stay away from unless you are either a practicing drug addict in need of a fix, or someone who really wants to help, if you are neither of the above, stay away. i used to live here and they can smell a tourist coming down the block. Dont think that everyone down there is souly interested in doing drugs, remember these people need money for drugs and you can and probably will be targeted if you are stupid enough to venture down to "see the sights" all the sights to see down there are just as easily accessed in the latest episode of "Intervention".
On the other hand, thanks to our wonderful government, they closed down a huge mental hospital and then subsidized all the patients to live there, and yes, thats exactly what walking down the street feels like. Even the cops fail to bother doing anything unless there are cameras around.
To the person who lives there and wants to kill them all, with that attitude, you better start packing now, you are the type of person whom they justify their actions upon. Its a sick attitude to have dude. I was brought down there to be used and sold by my own canadian father, and i was surprised by the feeling of community there really is there, you dont have to be addicted to be part of it, just dont treat them like freaks, and be smart when you are there.
***Tourists****
DO NOT
go to east hastings to sight see, you will be robbed if not conned...
point and stare at the addicts, a person who has just shot crack may look really f*&ed up, but believe you me, they can and will tear you to pieces
DO
come to vancouver, dont let one area stop you from enjoying all that the city has to offer
not everyone is addicted to drugs or a gangster

smashley101
Mar 29, 2012

hastings esat side

hi i lived there most my life , and it was a great place to live , its not as bad as people say it is , its sad to see the system treat them like that , as i was one of them and hooked on drugs , and i have been away know for 4 years, and i do miss the coast

mehawk
Mar 14, 2012

V6A the poorest Postal Code in Canada

I've been reading some of the entries here on this website as I'm preparing a speech on this topic.

Vancouver is the most expensive city in Canada to live in and yes, the cost of living is high especially since the government drags it's feet to increase the minimum wage.

But in all the times that I've walked down the streets of the Downtown Eastside, I've never felt that I've ever been in danger. The people there are in trouble.

I'm not going to blame "the system" or any other reason for the homless being there. They're there, it is what it is.

There are drug addicts, mentally ill people, physically ill, abused, emotionally disturbed, the list goes on and many of them don't want to live there. But for most, it's the only place they can find for themselves because our system doesn't give them an opportunity to get out.

There are only two men who I know that broke free from the drug-addicted life style and went on to become stellar citizens and men of integrity. Billy Weselewski and Joe Roberts.

I'm ashamed of Ditsy Clark and her Liberal government and how they continue to ignore these people. They're somebodys children!

rbweegie
Feb 05, 2012

DTES Hastings st East

hey, i am a 18 year old that grew up in the DTES area, im from East hastings, my appartment building was the dirtiest and worst building on the street, it is not as dangerous as people may say, the people down there are not out to get you, if you notice, they are treated worse than they treat you, they are human beings aswell, but they just have money issues or crazy addictions, when i lived there it was a very scary place for a kid but i never got hurt once, actually, when i was 7 i was walking with my mom up a flight of stairs, i slipped backwards and before i hit the ground a homeless person cought me and picked me up and carried me to my mom, they are nice people. most of them have families to that they need to support, yes it is scarry out there but unless your out there trying to prevoke people, you should be safe. i can honestly say, i miss living there and i would move back if i could. here homeless, not gangsters. although there is some dangerous people there but y would they choose you.

pattyboii
Sep 02, 2011

Top 5 Vancouver Writers

Carmanah's Profile Photo

Carmanah

"A Local's Perspective"
rmdw's Profile Photo

rmdw

"Vancouver, BC - Canada's Pacific Gem!"
jamiesno's Profile Photo

jamiesno

"Vancouver, BC, Canada!"
spitball's Profile Photo

spitball

"Vancouver, my current home"
joiwatani's Profile Photo

joiwatani

"Vancouver,the best neighbor city of the USA!"

DTES Hastings st East

pattyboii
Sep 02, 2011

overblown

Just returned from Vancouver, including a couple of stops in the E. Hasting & Main area... actually bought my daughter a nice backpack at the store just south of the intersection, so in other words, if you go about your business like 99 percent of the people you'll have no problem.

i laughed at the Aussie couple's review where they mentioned the neighbourhood was worse than any other city in which they'd traveled (i'm guessing they're trip to NYC didn't include the south Bronx?). as for Blood Alley (so named because the old butcher shops used to take their deliveries from the alleyway), they missed Salt, one of Van's best restaurants!

hamiltonartist's Profile Photo
hamiltonartist
Aug 16, 2011

Great People

This is a great place to see. My mother used to take me here all the time and I've always been safe. It's a very interesting place to see, not very common in all of the world. The people here are mostly down and out and struggling with addiction issues, so I wouldn't say it is a highly dangerous area.

I shop here at least once a week for groceries at Sunrise Market (powell/gore.. great prices) and you know what? The people here are amongst the friendliest. They actually speak to you, engage you, it's all very real and no fakery.

You are safe here alone during the day (I am a woman and do it all the time) but at night you should be with at least one other person and avoid any alleys.

haedis
Jul 20, 2011

Downtown Eastside Vancouver

DTES in Vancouver also known as the poorest postal code in Canada is not as bad
as you think. Yes there are several poor people who are abusing substances BUT
there are resources in place to help them if they choose. I was in downtown
Vancouver yesterday morning and it was busy in front of and inside the Insite
office. These folks are not dangerous per say. It is better to just hangout in
the Chinatown area instead. I think that the government, police, community
groups and Vancouver Coastal Health need to have more meetings together.

michmonty
Mar 23, 2011

Things to Do Near Vancouver

South Granville Rise

South Granville (also called "South Granville Rise") is an upscale shopping district south of downtown Vancouver. The heart of South Granville's commercial area spans along Granville Street between...

VanDusen Botanical Gardens

Vancouver's wet climate produces some of the most lush gardens in North America. Because of the climate and the mild temperatures, Vancouver's gardens are vibrant and green year round. This is unlike...

Bloedel Conservatory

The Bloedel Conservatory is a small round building located in Queen Elizabeth Park. I had read another Mother's review of it online and figured it would be a great place to spend an afternoon with our...

Queen Elizabeth Park

The Bloedel Conservatory is located in Queen Elizabeth Park at the top of Little Mountain. It is a large dome overlooking the city and the mountains. Inside this dome is a large temperature controlled...

Totem Poles

Located in the northeast area of Stanley Park, the First Nations artwork area is most famous for its totem poles. However, there are also several other pieces of artwork here. This includes a Story...

Granville Island

Enjoyed all of the restaurants & shops. This was a real foodie paradise with markets, gourmet shops and all sorts of items cooking. We took a water taxi to Granville and the trolley back to our hotel.

Getting to Vancouver

Address

Vancouver

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Warnings and Dangers. Help us improve our info!

Map