Ches's Fish and Chips, St. John's

3.5 out of 5 stars 4 Reviews

• Two peice fish and chips with gravy on the home fr
    Two peice fish and chips with gravy on...
    by jamiesno
    Ches's at 9 Freshwater Road
    by jamiesno
  • Ches's Fish and Chips
    by dovalyn

• Ches's Fish and Chips: HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE

by cuff112233 Written Jul 9, 2015

I am horrified by the terrible customer service my family has received from Ches's today. We had placed an order for delivery which took a very long time to come (the lady on the phone quoted 45 minutes but it took over 1h10m) and didn't receive all of our items. My mother had ordered a Dr. Pepper and confirmed with the lady that they had it. We instead received Pepsi, no fries, no cheese on the cheeseburgers, and were missing a dressing. Naturally my Mother called about it. She informed the guy who answered the phone that these things were missing/incorrect. He said it'd be over an hour to fix anything and that they always tell their customers 45 mins to an hour, they did't have Dr. Pepper, and that dressing didn't come with ches's choice special. He proceeded to scream at my mother. There is NO NEED to SCREAM at a customer. While Ches's has now replaced the missing items it doesn't fix the fact my mother was yelled at. What kind of company screams at their customers because they made a mistake, not the customer? That's no way to treat people.

• dovalyn's Profile Photo

Ches's Famous Fish and Chips: If you like gravy!!!

by dovalyn Updated Apr 4, 2011

You have to do a little hunting to find this place off of Freshwater Road but definetly worth the find. We had a bit of a wait due to the fact that we came in right on the lunch rush but we were seated right away by the very friendly staff there. The interior was painted baby blue and has an airy fell about it. Most of the people were locals. As we were waiting to get seated to our table, I peered into the kitchen to see what they were doing and they were busy dishing up mounds of chips (fries) into individual containers for customers and loaded with brown gravy!! I thought, how odd that is.
    After finishing our lunch, our waitress asked us for our names and proceeded to write them out on a certificate stating that we had eaten there. How cool is that?? It was a very nice experience.

Favorite Dish: I ordered the fish and chips and it came piping hot to our table complete with it's own gravy. This was an odd combination to me but I happily ate along with everyone else. The fish was very good, nice and flaky on the inside and crispy hot on the outside with all the tartar sauce and vinegar that we could ask for. My chips (fries) were great with or without the gravy and by the end of lunch, I was sopping just about everything in my plate up with the gravy!!

Address: 9 Frshwater Road

Phone: 709-722-4083

• jamiesno's Profile Photo

Ches's Fish and Chips: Greasy Spoon Seafood

by jamiesno Written Oct 27, 2005

Ches's Fish and Chips is St. John's most famous fish and chips location. All the fish is deep fried like a lot of food in Newfoundland so people will call it a greasy spoon.

Historically cod fish was a staple food in this area so for something traditional as modest as it may seem you should make a stop by Ches's. Probably for lunch. It is very filling and less expensive than other places you might go.

There are a couple of locations in St. John's but the Freshwater Road location is the original and you'll see lots of local people there. The streets are awkward around this area so as soon as you see the sign then start paying attention to where you are going to park or else your going to get mixed up with the off roads and complex stops.

They usually have some oven baked goods around to at Ches's. Enjoy your fish and chips!!!

Favorite Dish: Two peice fish and chips with gravy on the home fries.

Address: 9 Freshwater Road

Directions: Downtown

Phone: 709-726-3434

Website: http://www.chessfishandchips.ca

Ches's at 9 Freshwater Road Two peice fish and chips with gravy on the home fr

• tvor's Profile Photo

Chessy's: Cheap Chips

by tvor Written Jun 2, 2003

It's a fish and chip shop, you will find a chain of them around. You get lots for your money. Also on offer, scallops and shrimp and i think burgers and chicken fingers and the like. Off season the fish may be frozen (before it was cooked, silly!) but it's still flaky and tasty.

Instant Answers: St. John's

Comments

Other Restaurants in St. John's