Wolfville Travel Guide

• Main Street, Wolfville, Nova Scotia, Canada.
    Main Street, Wolfville, Nova Scotia,...
    by planxty
    Anvil pub, Wofville, Nova Scotia.
    by planxty
    Anvil pub, Wofville, Nova Scotia.

Wolfville Things to Do

• planxty's Profile Photo

Lest we forget.

by planxty Written Jul 1, 2014

Readers of my other pages will know that I have a fascination for military history and war memorials and graves and so I felt compelled to look at the war memorial whilst in Wolfville. There is not very much to say about it really. It is of a fairly standard design, variants which may be seen all over the region but that does not detract from the sacrifice made by those it commemorates and the grief felt by those left behind. Should you want to visit, it is on the main street in front of the post office.

War memorial, Wolfville, Nova Scotia. War memorial, Wolfville, Nova Scotia. War memorial, Wolfville, Nova Scotia.

• planxty's Profile Photo

Get hammered at the Anvil.

by planxty Updated Jul 1, 2014

Let me start this by saying that I do not advise drinking to excess but I just could not resist the title of this tip, give the name of the bar that it refers to. My friend Lynne (VT member Rvenswing) and I were driving from Halifax airport to her father's house in Kentville and I was keen to try out a Nova Scotian bar. Lynne had to do a quick message in a shop and I was just wandering about having a look round and taking in the atmosphere of a country I had not visited before when my eyes fell upon the Anvil.

We had already passed a fairly posh looking bar but I took one look at this place and my inner drinker knew that it was my kind of pub. I tried to explain it to Lynne later on and she doesn't get it but I have an unerring instinct for what are going to be good bars anywhere in the world. We wandered in and I was glad to see that my sixth sense had not deserted me on my flight across the Atlantic. It was a sizeable bar, obviously sports orientated (there was a particularly good collection of rugby memorabilia in one display case) and was obviously set up to cater to students of the local Acadia University which is a short stumble up the road.

We visited on a midweek afternoon and so there were only a few people sitting at the bar. We were greeted by a very friendly young lady and this seems to be industry standard for this region, bar staff are universally friendly and helpful. On hearing my quite pronounced Belfast accent, the locals immediately engaged us in conversation and made us feel most welcome, which again seems par for the course in Nova Scotia, they really are very sociable people.

The kitchen was closed as they only seem to open at lunch and for their "wing night" on Friday when the kitchen remains open until 2000 hours.

A quick look round revealed a pool table, some gaming machines (very popular in Canada) and a dance area complete with DJ booth. Advertising posters indicated that there were regular music events in the evenings.

If you like your bars a little "rough and ready" as I do, this place is a little gem and recommended.

Anvil pub, Wofville, Nova Scotia. Anvil pub, Wofville, Nova Scotia. Anvil pub, Wofville, Nova Scotia. Anvil pub, Wofville, Nova Scotia. Anvil pub, Wofville, Nova Scotia.
    • Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

• Redlats's Profile Photo

The great deporation

by Redlats Updated Jul 26, 2005

Just outside of Wolfville is Grand-Pré. All along the salt water shore, the Acadians reclaimed farmland from the salt meadows. By building dykes to keep out the salt water, but let rainwater clean and irrigate the soil, the French Acadians were successful farmers.

However by the mid-1750's, Nova Scotia is under English control. The English decided to expel the Acadians away from Nova Scotia. Grand-Pré is a historic park with several buildings restored to reflect Acadian life in the 1700's including a blacksmith, garden and a church.

The plight of the Acadians became well known in the US after Henry Longfellow invented a tale of lovers separated by the deportation. Evangeline never finds her true love during a life time of searching. On the grounds is a statue of Evangeline. As you can see in the photo, she is still looking for her lost love.

Statue of Evagaline -- Grand-Pr�� Historic Park

Wolfville Restaurants

• CdnJane's Profile Photo

Paddy's Brewpub & Rosie's Restaurant: Nice Patio in behind

by CdnJane Updated Jun 21, 2007

My friend is very familiar with the restaurant and recommended it. We arrived early, and were able to have a table in a quiet corner of the patio, where she got the sunshine that she wanted, and I got to stay in the shade! It wasn't very busy, but apparently becomes rather crowded at lunch hour. I can understand, they have an extensive menu with something that should suit all tastes. Their prices were decent too.

Favorite Dish: My friend's Greek Salad and Grilled Haddock? Sole? looked very good.
    I had the Raspberry/Cranberry Salad with Shrimp. It was a large plate, with lots of blue cheese chunks, pecans, 4 large prawn (shrimps) in a light tempura-type batter, a lovely raspberry vinagerette salad dressing, on lots and lots and lots of lettuce. I didn't have it well mixed, or I should've asked for more dressing, as I ran out of the dressing before I did the lettuce! But it was good!

They had a couple of beers on draft from local micro-breweries, I had a small Anapolis Valley Amber Ale, which was very nice.

Restaurant is on the left Sign from the Patio Looking across the patio
    • Study Abroad

Grab a bite to eat

by fairy_dust Written May 27, 2004

There are a few small restaurants, coffee places, and fast food places (such as Subway) in Wolfville. Before the camp week started at Jazz Camp (I arrived in Wolfville a day early), I ate breakfast at a small coffee place that was within walking distance of Acadia University (can't remember the name for the life of me though...) It was a nice quiet place, perfect for sitting down, relaxing and chatting while eating.

• Work Abroad

• Wolfville Hotels

2 Hotels in Wolfville

Wolfville Transportation

Walking

by fairy_dust Updated Jun 22, 2015

In Wolfville, most places are within walking distance of each other. Most are close to the Acadia campus and since the town is small, you won't likely get lost easily. I'm not sure if there is public transit, but either way, you probably won't need it.

• Study Abroad
    • Work Abroad

Go by bus

by fairy_dust Written May 29, 2004

The bus goes to Wolfville, and stops at the Acadia University campus. I think it stops at another place in town too but I'm not sure. The bus goes to/from Wolfville every day, and I think it goes directly to/from Halifax.

• Don't Forget Insurance

If your current health insurance doesn't cover you while your abroad, you should consider getting international travel insurance just in case something should go wrong.

Instant Answers: Wolfville

Comments

Wolfville Travel Guide

Map of Wolfville