Map &

Downtown Toronto Bike Tour
From CAD79.00

Hot House cafe Tips (9)

Hot House cafe: A Gastronomical fete

I did not get a picture of this but when we walked back to the area where we were having our meetin there was a couple of candles on the end of the bar's passbar. You could tell they had been there a LONG time as the numerous candles that had burned there melted into a large heap of white wax.
Totally cool.

I liked the brightness of the room from the skylights. It was a grey day outside but quite pleasant to be inside with the natural lighting.

Favorite Dish The Sunday Brunch. This was a very complete brunch with an omelete bar, waffle bar and a carving station with the biggest side of beef I have ever seen. There was something for everybody. I hit the fruit and cheese station, which was along side the Salmon (although Lori said it was "fishy" tasting" and since I do not care for fish, it didn't bother me one bit).

The key here is to portion controll yourself. If you just take a small amount of food, you can tell what you liked and didn't like and get more on your return trip to the buffet. The waffles and cinnamon apple french toast were devine, I had scrambled eggs, bacon, side dishes such as potatoes and pastas.

The dessert table was heavily ladened with sweets of all kinds, I finally selected the lemon popyseed cake with cream cheese frosting. It was very good.

keida84's Profile Photo
keida84

Hot House cafe: AWARD WINNING SUNDAY BRUNCH

Perhaps one of the best Sunday Brunch I have ever had was at the HOT HOUSE CAFE'. They had an amazing spread with roast beef, salmon, unbelievable salads, pasta, dessert table and made-to-order omelets. I really wish I could have had a doggy bag for later as you can only eat so much. At $16.95 per person, which doesn't even include your coffee ( extra @ $1.95) it is a little pricey but it is supposed to be an Award Winning Sunday Brunch and excellence comes at a price.

Update: Wednesday, October 28, 2009
Hans and I arranged a small VT dinner Meet in honour of Nathalie (nhcram) and Chris (chrishc) who were in Toronto visiting. Since we ate there before, I thought it would be a great place to go again. I had no idea that Wednesday nights, there was a buffet. Most of us had the buffet, which for $17.95, you had cheeses, salads, hot dishes and a wonderful assortment of desserts and pies. Drinks were extra.

LoriPori's Profile Photo
LoriPori
Apr 04, 2011

Hot House cafe: The Best Buffet... EVER!

WooHoo! What a place!

You couldn't tell to look at me, but I'm not a very big eater (meaning I don't have a huge appetite). However, there places that I remember and places that offer such an amazing array of food that even I succumb to glutonous behavior. And only because I want to sample and taste everything! Well, it was not humanly possible here, but what a pleasurable challenge...

This was our final gathering as a VT group and again we were delighted with the choice for our Sunday brunch! I hope the pictures here will give some indication of the abundance of selections but I will try to embelish a bit more below.

Favorite Dish As this was "brunch" I went first for breakfast, but where to begin? Eggs, Fresh Fruit, Sausages, Bacon, Pastries? Maybe you would like an omlette prepared with your desired ingredients as you watch? Or, perhaps you may follow my lead in first enjoying breakfast foods and then returning to cover the "lunch" selections as well. In my defense, this was a traveling day with energy needed to pack and drag my bags to the car, drive to the airport, and arrive home late in the evening. So, I was eating for the whole day... and I did!

Please believe me in saying that though I have experienced a few really good buffets in my time, this one would have to rank at the top along with "The Cloister at Sea Island", "Doral Country Club", and the breakfast buffet at our hotel in Stockholm. The point is if you are visiting Toronto, do yourself a favor and visit the "Hothouse Cafe" for a memorable experience in dining at a most reasonable price. Highly Recommended!

NC_Ziggy's Profile Photo
NC_Ziggy
Apr 04, 2011

Hot House cafe: Sunday brunches aren't to be missed!

Hot House Cafe is my favourite restaurant in Toronto. Their food portions are generous, delicious, and competitively priced. Their menu selection is primarily Italian / Mediterranean, though they offer many other choices (inclduing a good selection of Vegetarian dishes).

The atmosphere is casual yet refined. Families can just as easily show up in shorts / jeans / grubs, or dress up a little nicer (like business casual attire).

The highlight of Hot House is definitely their Sunday Brunch. Unlike other "all you can eat" buffets, the Hot House has made their reputation of using real good food to serve. Real roast beef, seafood salad, smoked salmon, fresh baked croissants, waffles, fresh cut fruit, and lots more.

the dessert selection during the brunch is not to be missed! Often people go just to eat cakes, or take portions first before their actual meals. Unlike some restaurants that serve "pre-made/frozen" cakes, Hot House uses real cakes which are sliced in front of you and served.

Throughout the week (including weekends) you would be able to find live Jazz being played in the restaurant. On a nice day you can sit on the patio and watch Front Street. Nearby is the St Lawrence Market, Hockey Hall of Fame, Hummingbird Centre, and the BCE Place.

If you're planning on getting dessert at Hot House on the Sunday Brunch, arrive early! They only have a limited number of cakes and the "good" ones usually run out by 12:30pm. Arriving 11am is a good time to get seated on Sunday.

Favorite Dish The Tiramisu is amazing at Hot House. As far as this dessert goes, it's pretty good (but the best are ones from Osso Bucco, see that tip for more info).

jon_and_may's Profile Photo

45 The Esplanade, Toronto, Ontario, M5E 1W2, Canada
56 Yonge St., Toronto, Ontario, M5E 1G5, Canada
1 King Street West, Toronto, M5H 1A1, Canada
1 King St W, Toronto, Ontario, M5H 1A1, Canada

Hot House cafe: WHAT A BRUNCH!!!!!!!

The Hot House Cafe was picked for brunch for the VT Toronto Meeting because of it's location - downtown, walking distance to many hotels, and to the subway; and also because of the fact that it didn't request a deposit for a group (keep it inexpensive for organisers) and the price for brunch. Some of the hotels had supposedly marvelous brunches but they started at $24 dollars... this was $16.95 (plus beverage costs, plus tax and gratuity), and there was also lovely jazz music playing - not overpoweringly loud. The decor was nice, its the kind of place you can go with your friends (no matter what your age is), your family - all the generations. The choices of foods was extraordinary. I think it truly was the best brunch buffet that I've been at.

Favorite Dish I didn't have one, but the omelets looked great - you tell them what you want from a large selection of items. The french toast with apples, raisins and cinnamon was incredibly good. There was great selection of cheeses, of breads, of salads, of breakfasty and lunchy things, and the roast beef was very nice.
I would highly recommend the desserts - a terrific choice, and the apple crumble was just like mom used to make!

CdnJane's Profile Photo
CdnJane
Apr 04, 2011

Hot House Cafe: Great Brunch on a Sunday!

Magda and I went to this great restaurant for our dinner one evening. I don't remember what I ordered but I know that the food was wonderful! I remember the attractive waiter we had and he also served me at brunch the following day! So wonderful that I returned the next day for Sunday Brunch where a buffet was served with a wide range of choices and we had live jazz played! I highly recommend this restaurant and look forward to return when I'm next in Toronto.

Favorite Dish Great Menu choice!

spidermiss's Profile Photo
spidermiss
Apr 18, 2011

Hot House cafe: The Buffet is Heavenly!

I thoroughly enjoyed the company at this location - as it was the final meet-up for the VTers who had traveled in to Toronto for the big meet. But, the food was also fabulous! The buffet had a waffle bar, wonderful roast beef, asian delights, lox, great breads, pastries, and many other wonderful choices!

The company was grand as I had a little more time to visit w/ spgood, LoriPori and Keida84, but still not enough time to visit with EVERYONE!

The hot tea was acceptable, but none of us realized these normal breakfast drinks of coffee and tea were going to add another $2.50 to our tabs :)

Favorite Dish When I asked for some of the crunchy bit off of the roast, the carver knew exactly what I was aiming for and provided me a great chunk of meat, I had to stop him from adding more! The fruit was fresh and quite yummy. My favorite was the apple-cinamon crisp which I topped off my waffle(s) with - twice!

kymbanm's Profile Photo
kymbanm

Hot House cafe: Buffet and all the rest

The Hothouse cafe is right downtown Toronto and has a really good selection of a wide variety of international dishes. They specialize in Pasta and pizzas but have wonderful salmon and a really good all you can eat buffet on some days. They also have an extensive Sunday brunch.

Favorite Dish I had the buffet for $12.95 (Wednesday nights) but pretty much everything is good.

tvor's Profile Photo
tvor
freddie18's Profile Photo

freddie18

"My Toronto - "Yours to Discover""
MissAntarctica2002's Profile Photo

MissAntarctica2002

"Close To Home"
CdnJane's Profile Photo

CdnJane

"Andre Rieu's Magic Hits Toronto"
coolpanda87's Profile Photo

coolpanda87

"TORONTO Canada"
Paul2001's Profile Photo

Paul2001

"Paul2001's Big T.O. Page"

Hot House cafe: What a buffet

Had to wait an hour and half for Sunday brunch but worth every minute of it. I have never seen so many desserts in the one place, (and ive been on an all-inclusive in Cancun). The hot food was very tasty and the three man omlette station....mmmm.

Favorite Dish Anything you want in it omlette or the dessert table. Have a wheel barrow handy so someone can wheel you out when you are unable to walk.

gussyireland

Things To Do Near Hot House cafe

Flatiron Building

This will surely be part of your Itinerary when traveling on foot the St. lawrence neighborhood. It is also known as Gooderham building and the building looks like a flatiron with Roamesque styling....

Saint James Cathedral

Toronto has some spectacular churches in the downtown core. I like to wander in at random when I stumble upon open doors. St. James is the tallest church in Canada, and is counted among the tallest...

St. Lawrence Market

Massive food hall from 1850 has every food vendor imaginable, over 120. A lot of the meats and fish mongers were selling foods to go, but there were vendors with delicious foods to eat it. All of...

Hockey Hall of Fame

The Hockey Hall of Fame opened in the Brookfield Place in 1993 & recently expanded with a new interactive hockey zone. It appeared as though we were walking into an old bank & went into ground...

Financial District & Underground City

Visited recently for business. It was my first time in Toronto. I had the evenings free to spend in whatever way I pleased over the course of a week. I loathe the typical "tourist" experience, seeing...

Massey Hall

What I also love about Toronto is its historical buildings that's still standing but I guess not popular to most tourist because lots are obscured by modern structures already. I am not just after the...

Getting to Hot House cafe