Map &

Toronto City Hop-on Hop-off Tour
From CAD43.00

CN Tower Tips (202)

Long lines & very touristy

This was my fourth visit to the CN tower. The first time, we waited in long lines to take the elevator to the top of the CN tower. Previously, I went to the revolving restaurant and avoided the commotions. They have a glass floor, indoor & outdoor observation floors with a snack bar at the top. For an extra fee we could have taken an elevator further up. Once at the bottom the massive gift shop had just about anything CN you could imagine. I was disappointed that here they gave us discounted tickets to return.

In 2016 we skipped the lines because we had reservations to the revolving restaurant. My husband identified the food as being the real prize here; it was wonderful. They we walked down the steps and had full rein of the observation floors. Tickets to the tower ar $45. for $65. we had a Prix fix delicious dinner at Restaurant 360. In the 1990's we had a delicious brunch buffet, it was replaced with a $55 Prix fix lunch.

apbeaches's Profile Photo
Jul 08, 2016

A high restaurant

The tower is the highest building in Toronto, and it has all the common attractions in this kind of structures - high speed elevators, rotating restaurant, sightseeing points but also a wine cellar, 3D movies and more.

Sorry we had no time to go up!

solopes's Profile Photo
Mar 23, 2016

the tallest tower in the world in 2001

In 2001 when i went up the CN tower in Toronto, at 553 metres - over half a kilometre lol, it was the tallest tower in the world and the tallest free standing structure in the world - now its the 3rd tallest tower in the world and the 6th free standing structure in the world. The tallest tower being the Tokyo skytree at 634 metres (which i couldnt get a ticket for on my last night in Tokyo in May and the queue then was almost half a kilometre long lol...not quite),

and the tallest building being the Burj Khalifa since 2010, at an incredible 828 metres that still wasnt surpassed by China's latest edition of skyscrapers in 2015, the Shanghai Tower at 632 metres.

In December 2000 I had gone up the South tower of New York's World trade centre which was the highest building in the world that i had been up at 415metres high - when it was built in 1973 it had become the 2nd highest building in the world. and less than a year later it was destroyed (and i was back in New York 2 months afterwards and visited the very sad aftermath of its destruction)

I was not only happy about getting up another iconic tallest highest something, but also happy finding maple syrup for sale in the shop in maple syrup shaped bottles (add to my bottle collection lol) which i still have, along with a gorgeous red cardinal stuffed toy on a key ring - though one day i would much prefer to get back to see more of Canada and real live red cardinal birds lol

angiebabe's Profile Photo
Feb 22, 2016

CN Tower

From its construction in 1976 until 2010, the CN Tower was the world's tallest free standing structure at 1,815 feet. Take the elevator to the observation desk (C$19) for a great view of the city, Lake Ontario, and SkyDome directly underfoot!

Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

One Blue Jays Way, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 1J4, Canada
30 Mercer St, Toronto, Ontario, M5V1H3, Canada
249 Queen's Quay West, Toronto, Ontario, M5J 2N5, Canada

CN Tower

Go up here and have a ball, also the views are fantastic

Getting onto the floor can be a problem if you look down, but one you are on the floor there is no problem :)

Go try it out. you will enjoy it :)

stevemt's Profile Photo
Aug 21, 2015

C.N. Tower

C.N. Tower World's 2nd Tallest Tower At 553 m / 1,815 ft.
one of the Seven Wonders of the Modern World, the CN Tower features glass floor observation decks, Edge walk (walking outside the tower) , a revolving restaurant (means while you are eating the floor is rotating slowly giving you a 360 view in about 1 h ) , and a Simulator Theatre. It is Toronto’s most recognizable landmark and as such, it receives almost two million visitors annually
Open 9:00am to 10:30 pm

Restaurant open
Lunch 11:00am - 2:00pm
Dinner 4:30pm - 10:15pm

Buy online now and SAVE

Adult normal price ......(13 - 64) $32.00 price $29.00 .........$12.00 for skypod = $41.00
Senior normal price ....(65+) $24.00 price $22.00 .........$12.00 for skypod = $34.00
Child normal price .......(4 -12) $24.00 price $22.00 .........$12.00 for skypod = $34.00

Skypod is the highest part of the Tower 22 storeys higher than the main level

Designed with the highest international safety and security standards in mind, EdgeWalk runs for 1.5 hours, with the outdoor walk lasting approximately 30 minutes. Tickets cost $195 CAD and include a keepsake video, printed photos and certificate of achievement. Participants also receive a Tower Experience Ticket which includes access to LookOut, Glass Floor, SkyPod, and attractions.

The EdgeWalk at the CN Tower will operate seasonally in all weather except for electrical storms, high winds or other extreme weather conditions. Varying weather conditions will make the
EdgeWalk experience more unique. Please dress appropriately for the weather conditions.

orlandom's Profile Photo
May 31, 2015

Overpriced and underwhelming

Visited the tower after being told of the incredible view, found that the view was limited to half the glassed area due to a restaurant occupying the other half of the floor. Going outside was worse, even though you have 360 views, the are severely affected by the birdcage like enclosure.
The staff were inattentive seeming to prefer talking to each other rather than attending to the customers.
Save your money!

Nov 29, 2014

Once the tallest structure in the world!

Taller than Kuala Lumpur's Petronas Towers and Chicago's Sears Tower (but not taller than Dubai's newest superskyscraper), Toronto's CN Tower is certainly a sight to behold! While not technically considered a building, the CN Tower functions as a broadcast tower while also offering observation decks and a restaurant waaaaaaay above the skyscrapers of the Financial District. If you're not afraid of heights then this is certainly a must see destination!

HSC123's Profile Photo
Apr 18, 2013
freddie18's Profile Photo

"My Toronto - "Yours to Discover""
MissAntarctica2002's Profile Photo

"Close To Home"
CdnJane's Profile Photo

"Andre Rieu's Magic Hits Toronto"
coolpanda87's Profile Photo

"TORONTO Canada"
Paul2001's Profile Photo

"Paul2001's Big T.O. Page"

CN Tower

Until 2007, the CN Tower was the tallest free-standing structure in the world. Located right next to the Rogers Centre, this downtown landmark is one of Toronto's premiere tourist attractions. Take an elevator trip all the way up to the sky pod (in the - the 2nd highest observation deck in the world! On a clear day, you can see the mist across Lake Ontario from the famed Niagara Falls. Watching others navigate their way across the glass floor in this observation space is as much fun as standing on it yourself, and on nice days, when the roof is open on the Rogers Centre - you can catch a glimpse of a teeny, tiny Major League ball game happening hundreds of meters below.

All of that observing may leave you with a hunger gap. If you want to go all out, a dinner at the award-winning 360 restaurant is a must for the full CN Tower experience, paired with a bottle of wine from the world's highest wine cellar. But if you are in the area around brunch time, you can't beat the amazing crepes from Cora's. For a fun, delicious lunch or dinner, head to Planet Hollywood where you can dine and check out film and TV celeb memorabilia at the same time.

draguza's Profile Photo
Oct 05, 2012

CN Tower Overrated and Popular

With my plans to visit Canada, came a list of ‘To Do Things’. On my long “Bucket List” has always been the CN Tower and Banff in Canada. So once I was done with my older sister, Niagara falls and Kitchener, I went off to Etobicoke to see my baby brother (who by the way looks older only because he is 6’4 in height). His wife and I had booked a tour of Toronto on the open top buses. I figured travelling with children this was the best way to go. My brother also has a 3 year old which meant we would have 3 children tagging along. So our first stop was of course going to be the highly recommended CN Towers. One cannot miss it, it towers the Toronto Skyline. I had tried to book a dinner at the restaurant above it before leaving the United States, but they were booked for months I was told.

As you may have read from the many reviews on Virtual Tourist and elsewhere, it comes highly recommend. But I tell you what? I thought it was highly overrated and was frankly disappointed after trying two days in vain to get up to the top of the tower. It did however remind me of the Space Needle in Seattle and the inkling to go up was stronger. One the first day, we arrived at a little after 1:00 pm, the hassle of going down to the ticket counter using the escalator was frustrating. The establishment is not handicap friendly so we had to carry the baby’s stroller down the escalator and up a flight of stairs on the return. Once we got to the ticket counter, we waited in line for almost 25 minutes, only to be told there was a 2 hour wait to get to the top. The children were hungry and hot. Josephine and I decided we would try again the next morning between 9:00 – 11:00 am when we were told were the best times.
A few people still think it is the tallest building on earth, but that is because they have not been to the Emirates lately (smile!). It is now among the top five tallest free standing structures and a wonder of the world. As such it is a huge attraction to millions who come to visit it each year. It features a rotating restaurant at the top, a high-speed elevator, #D Movie Theater, a wine cellar and three sightseeing stops along the way.

The next day we left home early and headed downtown to get on our tour bus. Unfortunately due to delays by the tour bus, we got to the CN Tower at 12:00 noon, this time I had my daughter go find out how long the wait is, seeing as we had missed the times advised the day before. The wait was an hour and 30 minutes. Well we decided it was not worth the wait, we wanted to go to the Harbour Front and take a boat to the island, and that is what we did. I figured, I will leave it on my ‘to do list’ for next summer when we plan to go to Banff. From the outside, the tower is impressive, makes one feel really small; I figured the view from above would be of the entire Toronto area, next time.

Prices to go up vary based on the package one chooses. We just wanted to go up to the viewing deck to see Toronto’s Skyline.
Observation Plus - $28.99 per adult, $21.99 for children (4-12), $24.99 seniors 65 and older
Observation Only - $22.99 per adult, $14.99 children (4-12 yrs), $20.99 seniors 65 and older

Individual tours or a la Carte tours include;
Sky pod - $10.00 per person
Motion Theater ride only - $10.00 per person
Maple Leaf Theater - $10.00 per person

I believe the Citypass gives you a better package because it includes the top 5 must see attractions of Toronto for $58.99
However if you find yourself wanting to tour it, my brother recommends doing it at night. Apparently the night views are breath-taking.

Africancrab's Profile Photo
Aug 11, 2012

"Now I'm finally up this high, so what?"

As you will have already discovered if you've found this tip, there are loads of tips on the CN Tower on VT, and everyone else seemed to absolutely love it, so, for what it's worth, here's a dissenting point of view.

I didn't actively dislike the CN Tower, but I was distinctly underwhelmed by it. So, it was once both the world's highest tower and the world's highest free standing structure - now in the Top 5, depending on the criteria you apply - well, maybe I'm missing the point, but so what?

For me, ascending a high structure is only really of interest if it can be used as a vantage point to give you an unusual perspective on the surroundings. So the Arc de Triomphe, for example, although not extraordinarily high, is worth going to the top of because from there, you see Baron Hausmann's Grand Vision for Paris made real and stretching out at your feet. And therein lies the problem with the CN Tower - in my very personal opinion, there simply isn't very much worth seeing from the top. The landscape is pancake flat and not particularly attractive, the ribbon of development along the shores of Lake Ontario is unremarkable, and precisely because the CN Tower is so high, the high rise developments of the CBD (which are actually quite interesting from another perspective, such as the Toronto Islands), lose their definition and individuality because they're so far below you.

To my mind, the most interesting aspect of the view from the CN Tower is the bird's eye perspective on the neighbouring Rogers Centre - formerly the SkyDome and home to the Toronto Blue Jays. This was the first sports stadium to have a fully retractable motorised roof and is a nifty bit of engineering (I personally thought that it was more interesting than the CN Tower).

Others have waxed lyrical about the many thing that you can do in the CN Tower, including dining at the revolving restaurant, ascending up to the Sky Pod, doing the EdgeWalk and standing on the glass floor. I only did the latter, and can't say that it made a major impression on me, other than making me feel midly queasy as I registered that it was an awfully long way down.

However, most people consider that the CN Tower is worth doing, so if so, I suspect that the view is probably at is best at night when the view of the twinkling CBD lights would probably lend an added cachet. It's also possible that during Fall (a north Americanism of which I heartily approve), the palette of autumnal colours would lend another dimension to the landscape, although I stand to be corrected on this point.

And, for fear of stating the obvious, it's not even worth considering this if the cloud is low, because you won't see a thing. As Toronto weather can be quite changeable, I would suggest that if the CN Tower is on your 'must do' itinerary and the weather is fine, then shelve whatever other plans you had and head up the tower whilst the weather is clement.

In summary, going up the CN Tower - even if you forego the optional extras - is resource intensive on several counts, as it is hellish expensive (over C$20 just to access the lookout and glass floor at the time of writing in September 2011) and would probably also involve a wait in peak season, even if you bought your ticket online due to limitations on the number of visitors that are permitted at any given time. So particularly if you're a budget traveller or have limited time in Toronto, I would suggest that your time and money could be much better spent doing something more worthwhile such as a trip to the Bata Shoe Museum, Royal Ontario Museum or a ferry ride to the Toronto Islands.

One unexpected high point for me was the gift shop by the entrance is large and absolutely excellent. It sells a wide range of high quality souvenirs, and you don't have to pay the entrance fee to visit the gift shop.

CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo
May 05, 2012

Bird's eye view on Downtown Toronto

Well most VTers already wrote a review about this one so I wont tell much about it. I can only say that it's worth visiting whenever you are in Toronto. I am not really into heights but of course I need to try this one.. like everyone did. I felt safe in the observation deck it has bigger space but the skypod is a different story , the smaller space and much higher altitude made my knees weak and tummy churns. I didnt stay more than 10 minutes. Try the glass floor as well, even though I know it's safe but still I cant walk on it haha. I read that during summer you can walk outside with a harness. Geez.

kemisteryoso's Profile Photo
Apr 21, 2012

Things To Do Near CN Tower

Rogers Centre - Skydome

Rogers Center Hosts over 200 event days a year. There have been over 2000 events, and more than 60 million people have visited the rogers center from its opeaning day on June 3 1989. Rogers Centre is...

Steam Whistle Brewery

One of the highlights of my trip to Toronto in January 2006 was the Steam Whistle Brewery Tour. At the time of my visit, the "souvenir tour" (a tour of the brewery, free samples of beer and a choice...

Entertainment District

We have routinely visited Yong-Dundas Square since 2002 and have been witness to its revitalization. Yonge-Dundas Square is no doubt Toronto's answer to New York's Time Square. Yonge-Dundas Square,...

Harbourfront & Toronto Islands

In 2009, we took an hour island boat tour from the Waterfront. We were let off at and caught a later boat back to the mainland. We were impressed with the beautiful beaches, gardens, bike rentals,...

Union Station

We were told that we must see Union Station. It was centrally located. Union Station is the primary railway station and intercity transportation facility in Toronto, Ontario, Canada & it's the busiest...

Air Canada Centre

If not for the game, you have to go even if for the ambience and atmosphere and witness Canadian passion in display specially during hockey games. Best when the Toronto Maple Leafs are wining as they...

Getting to CN Tower