Schwartz's, Montreal

4.5 out of 5 stars 29 Reviews

3895 Saint-Laurent Blvd., Montreal, QC H2W 1X9 +1 514-842-4813
    What we got for $20
    by Orchid
    The dining room bustles at lunchtime
    by Orchid
    Helping the Shwartz's legend grow!

• apbeaches's Profile Photo

Schwartz's: Canadian Deli

by apbeaches Written Jul 1, 2015

Pouting, smoked meat sandwiches are on two huge menu boards in English and French. Cash only and people line up in front. Take out next door was pretty busy too.

Favorite Dish: Best pouting I've had. Smoked meat sandwich was sweet and so soft and good. Communal tables, fast and friendly service.

Address: 3895 Saint-Laurent Blvd., Montreal, QC H2W 1X9

Directions: At Rue Napoléon

Phone: +1 514-842-4813

Website: http://santropol.com/

• Orchid's Profile Photo

Schwartz's Hebrew Delicatessen: Only a Corned Beef Sandwich

by Orchid Written Jul 30, 2013

My brother in law had really talked up the 'smoked meat' of Montreal, so it was a 'must try', on our visit here. We ordered the smoked meat sandwich on rye, with a sides of chips, coleslaw and cherry cola to drink. The meat is just like corned beef that we make at home, nicely salty, but hardly a hint of smoky taste. The coleslaw was a good contrast to the meat. The rye bread was really tasty though.

However, the 'experience' is well worthwhile, it is a good value lunch, the place is lively and fun. It was just that the taste did not live up to the hype. We did our bit for the legend by standing in the queue for 15 minutes before we were seated at the counter. No nonsense, non-fussy fast service ensued. We shared the sandwich, but were not charged the $1.50 stated on a sign, so a plus mark for that.

Favorite Dish: Liked the bread, chips and the coleslaw, the meat I could duplicate at home.

Address: 3895 Saint-Laurent Boulevard · Montréal, Québec ·

Directions: Take bus no 55 north from downtown. Get off where you see the queue

Website: http://schwartzsdeli.com/

Helping the Shwartz's legend grow! What we got for $20 The dining room bustles at lunchtime

• milliturtle's Profile Photo

Schwartz's: Famous Montreal Smoked Meat

by milliturtle Written Jul 7, 2011

The lines are long as the deli is famous :) It is at least famous enough that someone created a musical about it called Schwartz: The Musical!

Schwart'z seems to be a must-go tourist spot for the famous Montreal smoked meat. We got there around lunch time on Canada Day, and the lines were quite long. We cheated and snucked into the take out area and waited around 5 minutes for our food instead. There are actually seats inside the take out restaurant.

The smoked meat sandwich was good - well seasoned but not too salty. However, comparing this sandwich to another one we had in Quebec City later on, the meat was a tad dry. The take out portions were good for 1 person. For the price, the food is pretty good, however, I have a feeling that you may be able to find similar quality smoked meat sandwiches with less wait time. Too bad we were just passing through, so we did not have a chance to do a comparison test.

Favorite Dish: I only had the smoked meat sandwich, which was quite good.

Address: 3895 St Laurent, Montreal, QC

Directions: Near Mont Royal

The line to dine The smoked meat sandwich Poster for Schwartz's The Musical

Add to your Trip Planner
  • Schwatz's Deli: Better give this one a miss!

by CaptainLandry Updated Sep 8, 2010

OK, I admit it, a deli is my idea of good food. I've been to delis from NYC to LA and each one has its own distinct and inimitable flavor and when planning the trip to Montreal, first on my list was a trip to Schwartz's, of which I had heard a lot. I wish I had had a conflict the night we went to try it, however; it would have spared me the disappointment. After eating, I wasn't sure I had been at the correct restaurant since everything I had heard had been positive; perhaps I'm just a little more picky than everyone else.
    If you've never been, this is a small hole-in-the-wall restaurant opened early in the century by one of the forbearers of current ownership and they achieved their reputation with their smoked meat. In my opinion, they have been riding this reputation just a tad too long and it's now time to diversify the menu and improve the service. Drastically.
    The meat was dry and no amount of mustard improved the texture or flavor. The service, or what passed for service, was centered on upselling, or delivering things without their having been ordered and then playing the guilt card when it was brought to their attention. All in all, a sub-standard meal from what I had hoped would be a first-class deli.

Favorite Dish: none

Address: 3895 Rue Saint-Laurent

• fairy_dust's Profile Photo

Schwartz's: The world-famous Hebrew delicatessen

by fairy_dust Written Dec 23, 2009

Schwartz's is a small place on the St. Laurent Boulevard, but it's super-famous for its smoked meat. Lots of celebrities have eaten there. There are usually crowds of people waiting outside, though if you're alone or only a party of 2, you won't have to wait long since they can seat you at the bar instead of waiting for a table to be available.

Don't even bother coming in if you're a vegetarian, this is a meat-lover's heaven! Aside from smoked meat, there are steaks, liver steaks, chicken, and sausages.

As I live close to Schwartz's, I've learned this lesson the hard way (though it wasn't an unpleasant lesson to learn) - never walk past Schwartz's on an empty stomach. The smell coming from the place is just too tempting...

Favorite Dish: I usually get a medium smoked meat sandwich (I find lean to be a little dry) and a pickle. I never order a sandwich there without a pickle! That's enough to fill me up. Occasionally (if I'm REALLY hungry) I'll also get a plate of fries and/or a cherry coke. I've tried the Schwartz's combo (steak, sandwich, frankfurter sausage, fries, pickle, bread) and though it was delicious, I can't believe I ate the whole thing (well, except the bread - I brought it home with me!).

Address: 3895 St Laurent Blvd

Directions: St Laurent Boulevard, between Duluth and Roy.

People waiting to enter Schwartz's

• ScottHurl's Profile Photo

Schartz's: A Montreal institution

by ScottHurl Written Jun 2, 2009

I live in a suburb of Montreal and yes we have a great city. If you want to have the full Montreal experiance(if the weather permits)have a drink on one of the many terrasses in the old port, Cresent street or Saint Laurant/ St. Lawrence Blvd. Also try one of our deli's one of the best is Schartz's on the Main St. Lawrence Blvd. Good luck, I hope I was helpful.

Favorite Dish: SMOKED MEAT!!

Address: St. Lawrence/ Saint Laurant/ The main

• Gay and Lesbian

• xedenx's Profile Photo

Schwartz's: You Have To Do This At Least Once

by xedenx Updated Jan 24, 2008

Montreal smoked meat is synonymous with Montreal, so you really can't say you've been to Montreal without trying it! There's a line-up outside Schwartzs pretty much anytime you wanna eat here. But don't worry, there usually isn't that long of a wait. If you're lucky you'll get a seat even if you're not at the front of the line, simply because there's a space available for your group number. So be prepared to share a table with strangers. It's not really a bad thing, considering tourists are usually pretty friendly, and the locals are even friendlier. I can honestly say I've never had an unpleasant table buddy here.

Go with a friend and share a small platter, or a large platter if you're big eaters! It's basically a plate of meat, and you'll get rye bread on the side to make your own sandwiches. You can get 4-5 sandwhiches out of a large platter. You'll be asked if you want lean, medium or fatty meat. Lean's really too dry, and fatty is just cardiac arrest on a plate, so I'd go with medium. You can remove the obviously fatty bits if you're still feeling guilty. They also sell sides like dill pickles, coleslaw and chips for $2 - $3 CAD.

Address: 3895 blvd. St. Laurant

Directions: Nearest metro station is Sherbrooke.

Phone: 1-514-842-4813

Website: http://www.schwartzsdeli.com/index_eng.html

The Schwartz's sign Line-up outside Schwartz's Sitting down, finally! A typical montreal smoked meat sandwhich
    • Study Abroad

• brewjohnson's Profile Photo

Schwartz's: Do you like Salted Cured Meats?

by brewjohnson Updated Jul 26, 2007

I was very excited about sampling the world famous smoked meat sandwich at Schwartz's. In the early 90s I heard Jim Rome raving about it and have wanted to visit Montreal ever since to give it a try. It didn't matter that I had no idea what smoked meat was, I yearned for it. When I read the Schwartz's reviews on VT and discovered smoked meat was a cousin to pastrami, I was even more enamored. After all, I've been a long-time believer that pastrami is the finest of the salted, cured meats. I was not disappointed. Big chunks of salty meat, smoked over charcoals on rye bread... delicious. This really is one of those places that has become a legend for a reason. I'm not sure if its the ever-present line out the door, the surly, yet friendly (is that possible) waiters, the furniture that hasn't changed in decades, or what... but this place delivered for me. Visiting Montreal without at least trying Schwartz's is like splitting tens... you just don't do it.

Favorite Dish: Smoked meat sandwich with a side of coleslaw. Ad coleslaw to the sandwich and you'll be in heaven!

Address: 3895 Saint-Laurent Boulevard, Montreal, Quebec

• brazwhazz's Profile Photo

Schwartz's: A Montreal institution

by brazwhazz Written Feb 16, 2007

Schwartz's is Montreal's world-famous Hebrew deli. What makes it so famous is its smoked meat, which has been voted many of times the best in town. Several other restaurants in Montreal also serve smoked meat, but Schwartz's has that special touch, perhaps because it has stayed in the same, seemingly unchanged building for 80 years. (This means there is always a lineup, whether it's 12 p.m. or 12 a.m.!)

Basically, if you are in Montreal, you simply must try a smoked meat; and if you must try a smoked meat, you might as well make it a Schwartz's smoked meat!

Address: 3895 St-Laurent Blvd., Montreal, Quebec, H2W 1X9

Directions: Between des Pins and Duluth Streets.

Website: http://www.schwartzsdeli.com/

Typical lineup in front of Schwartz's

• tuoedisni1's Profile Photo

Schwartz's: Tourist trap that's worth visiting

by tuoedisni1 Updated Oct 22, 2006

Just because Montreal is a French speaking town doesn't mean the food is all heavy cream and fondue. Montreal is famous for it's smoked meat. And from what I've found, Schwartz's is the best place to get it. You may have to wait on line a bit, but it goes pretty fast. Also, I've seen groups of people seated in different sections of the restaurant. Realize that this is a place to eat and not socialize. Don't be turned off by that; check it out and your taste buds will thank you later.

Favorite Dish: Smoked meat - small plate, request not a lot of fat - it's good for 2 people
    French fries
    Cole slaw (this is the only place I'll eat it)
    and maybe some pickles

Address: 3895 Saint-Laurent Boulevard

Directions: Look for the line of people.

Website: http://www.schwartzsdeli.com/index_eng.html

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Schwartz's: Smoked meat-the sequel

by Dabs Updated Aug 22, 2006

I was so disappointed by Ben's I thought we just have to try Schwartz's to see how it compares. So after eating that HUGE portion of poutine at La Banquiese, we headed over to Schwartz's for our last meal in Montreal. It was about 2:45 pm when we arrived and although they were busy, there wasn't a huge line like I expected. Perhaps the key to eating here is to go a little off normal lunch and dinner hours. We sat at the counter, good thing as our first sandwich arrived and it was slathered with yellow mustard, the most fiendish of condiments. Our server caught my sandwich before it was delivered and changed it to sans mustard, WHEW! I happily gazed upon my sandwich before inhaling it, now this was a SANDWICH!

One of the guidebooks suggested this was a bit of a tourist trap but I have to disagree as my definition of a true tourist trap is overpriced, underwhelming food. Although I wouldn't have wanted to wait in a long line with all the terrific options for food in Montreal, it's definitely a place worth a visit. Just be sure not to go at peak lunch and dinner time, Schwartz's is a much smaller restaurant than Ben's. On the up side though, the sandwiches are so good that you practically inhale them so the turnover of tables is pretty darn fast, this isn't a linger over your meal kind of place.

Favorite Dish: The sandwich here was SOOOOO much better than the ones we had at Ben's, the meat more like corned beef, spices coating the edges, juicy, plenty of fat, stacked high like a real sandwich should be, I had meat falling out all over the place. Our server asked us if we wanted dry or moist, I assume now that means with a lot of fat or not, I went for the moist. Order with a cherry coke for the authentic experience. YUM!

You can also opt for the low carb version (ha, ha) and get a HUGE plate of smoked meat without the bread. Also, you can get smoked meat to go, I'm pretty sure US Customs would snatch it away though if they knew we had it. And then they'd probably eat it ;-)

Address: 3895 St. Laurent

Website: http://www.schwartzsdeli.com/index2.html

Now that's a sandwich! Schwartz's

• mim95's Profile Photo

Schwartz's: World famous smoked meat

by mim95 Written Jun 19, 2006

This small restaurant has been around since 1928. There is always a line up to get in on any nights. Very plain inside, the wall is decorated with newspaper and magazine clippings about the world famous restaurant. The place has an old diner atmosphere from the 70s. If you get to sit at the 'bar', you can see stacks of fresh whole smoked meat. The food is served quickly. The wait to get inside is quick as well, especially for small party. They open for long hours everyday. (Check their website for details).

Favorite Dish: I've tried other smoked meat sandwich elsewhere, no doubt this is the best! The taste is just perfect, and they use only natural ingrediants. Order a side dish of pickle or coleslaw. The locals usually order cherry coke for drink.

Address: 3895 Boul. Saint-Laurent

Directions: on Boul Saint-Laurent north of Rue Cuthbert in Plateau Mont Royal

Website: http://www.schwartzsdeli.com

A local meal: smoked meat on rye with cherry coke

• ptitetoile's Profile Photo

Schwartz: Don't miss the famous speciality : smoked meat

by ptitetoile Written Jun 14, 2006

I went to this place because a collegue in Calgary told me that it was the best meat in town... and I discovered a very typical old steakhouse! The place looks like an old butcher shop and the walls covered by all kinds of old pictures... so nothing trendy and no fancy decoration but the real original atmosphere! I took the traditionnal smoked meat sandwich and I discovered what you see on the picture! I am not usually a big meat eater so you can see my surprise by seeing so much meat in these thin bread slices! How could I eat all that? Well... I did! I left nothing in my plate! The meat was delicious and the herbs used gave to it an incredible taste!
    Schwartz's, founded in 1928 by Reuben Schwartz, a Jewish immigrant from Romania, prepares smoked meat the old-fashioned way using a secret blend of fine herbs and spices marinated for 10 days. The smoked meat is smoked daily and contains no preservatives. That is why it is so famous and the place visited by a lot of celebrities like the Rolling stones, Céline Dion, Johnny Halliday, etc...
    There is allways a big line of people waiting outside to buy the sandwich or being served around lunch and dinner time so it is better go a little bit later or earlier : I went there at 3pm and it was OK!

Favorite Dish: Smoked meat

Address: 3895 Saint-Laurent Boulevard · Montreal

• Kaspian's Profile Photo

Schwartz's Montreal Hebrew Delicatessen: Schwartz's: "The Oldest Deli in Canada"

by Kaspian Updated Jan 4, 2006

People lineup patiently outside to get in as though waiting to get into a trendy nightclub. Once inside, Schwartz's looks more like the floor of a stock exchange than your run-of-the-mill deli. People occupy absolutely all the tables, every stool at the counter is taken by people eating large sandwiches; standing room only. And it's still crowded! A waiter fights his way through the throng of people to ask, "How many?" He leads me and my companions to a table that unbelievably has a few empty seats and we find ourselves sitting with three complete strangers. That's how it works at Schwartz's--the deli is so popular that there's no room for pretension, so you sit down wherever seats are available.
    Like it's primary smoked-meat competitor, Ben's, Schwartz's has changed very little since it was first opened in 1927 by Reuben Schwartz. Schwartz was a Jewish immigrant from Romania, and his restaurant, a single white-tiled room containing several rows of long narrow tables, has been in the same location on Saint-Laurent Boulevard since its inception.
    Schwartz's prepares its smoked meat using a secret blend of fine herbs and spices; the meat is marinated for 10 days.
    The sandwiches and fries are great! The meat is warm and tender; it has a little more consistency and chew than the meat at Ben's Deli.
    So who eats at this small blue-collar diner? Halle Berry, Angelina Jolie, Tim Allen, Jerry Lewis, Guy Lafleur, Celine Dione, Jean Chretien, and the Rolling Stones---just to name a few.

Favorite Dish: They will recommend their specialty to newcomers: A smoked meat sandwich, fries, and a black cherry soda. Do order a kosher pickle to go along with your meal!

Address: 3895 Boul. St-Laurent, Montreal

Website: http://www.schwartzsdeli.com

Schwartz's (2005) Schwartz's - Inside (2005) Schwartz's - Sandwiches (2005)

• wahine76's Profile Photo

Schwartz's: The best smoked meat in Montreal

by wahine76 Updated Sep 6, 2005

World famous Schwartz's, serving the best smoked meat from the original recipe of spices since 1927. Schwartz's prepares smoked meat the old-fashioned way using a secret blend of fine herbs and spices marinated for 10 days.

Imagine walking through the door and taking a step back 75 years into "Main Street" history in Montreal. A "true" Montreal landmark that has welcomed celebrities and visitors from all over the world. The Rolling Stones, Angelina Jolie, Celine Dion, Tim Allen and Halle Berry are some of the few celebrities who are known to have been there. I, personally, was once there and sitting next to Quebec's Prime Minister Lucien Bouchard many years ago. They litterally sit you next to strangers. Be prepared to order because waiters there dont have time to wait for you to pick something! :)

It's open most days until 12:30am and later on Fridays (1:30am) and Saturdays (2:30am).

Come to the oldest deli in Canada and enjoy their smoked meat sandwich and you never know you might see!

Favorite Dish: Their famous smoked meat sandwich with fries and a pickle.

Address: 3895 Saint-Laurent Boulevard, Montreal, H2W 1X9

Directions: In the Plateau Mont-Royal district.

Either exit metro Saint-Laurent (Green Line) or Place-d'Armes (Orange Line).
    Then take the 55 bus north bound until you reach Schwartz's.
    Schwartz's (3895 Boul. St-Laurent) well be on your right side.

Schwart's on the main