Map &

chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Private Tour: Quebec City Walking Tour
"Quebec City is a great place to explore by foot and on this private 3-hour walking tour you can customize the itinerary to your interests. Departing from Upper Town follow your private guide -- a friendly knowledgeable local -- down hidden alleyways full of history along main routes and to must-see spots around the city. You are free to tell your guide where you'd like to go or you can let your guide lead the way. As you walk
From CAD20.00

Private Tour: Quebec City Walking Tour
From CAD20.00

Quebec City Walking Tour
"Conducted year-round rain or shine this walking tour starts in the Upper Town district of Old Quebec and finishes in the Lower Town. You'll discover Quebec City's history from 1608 to present on this enjoyable walking tour. While listening to the entertaining and informative commen you'll gain a sense of the day-to-day lives of the people who have lived in this lovely fortress city over the centuries. You will visit sites such as the Quebec Citadel Chateau Frontenac Quebec fortifications Basilica Notre-Dame
From CAD31.00

Le Cochon Dingue Tips (7)

Le Cochon Dingue: Cafe in the Lower Town

We were mid way between breakfast and lunch time and I saw the menu for Le Cochon Dingue (The Crazy Pig) included steak frites, one of my "must haves" on this trip so we decided to have lunch here.

The wait for an outside table was surprisingly shorter than one indoors, we had about a 10-15 minute wait for a table.

This was a convenient place to have a meal before we headed over to the Ferry Terminal to catch the ferry over to Levis, right across the street. We couldn't figure out why so many people were on bicycles at the restaurant until we saw that people were coming over from Levis on the ferry with their bikes.

Favorite Dish Unfortunately it was Sunday and they only served breakfast items until noon, it was around 11:15 so my steak frites were not a possibility. Since we had already waited for a table and I didn't have any better idea, we decided to stay and order brunch, I had the La Crepe Farcie au Gratin, a breakfast crepe with ham and mushrooms smothered in a bechamel sauce and gruyuere cheese which was very good, David had L'assiette brunch (Brunch platter) with a little bit of everything, eggs, bacon, sausages, cranberry bread, crepe with maple syrup, potatoes with onions, pork & beans (feves au lard). Both of our meals came with a choice of coffee, tea or hot chocolate. I went for the hot chocolate, a nice rich blend with a coating of sugar on the rim.

What's funny is that there is an English menu on the website but the wait staff never offered us one, I now know for sure that the word I couldn't translate was spinach, I was pretty sure that was what the green flecks were in my crepe. No, I didn't break out into hives or go into convulsions from eating it and obviously not enough to kill me.

Dabs's Profile Photo
Dabs
Apr 01, 2007

Le Cochon Dingue: A French bistro with a Quebec twist

If you ask locals for a restaurant recommendation, chances are they'll send you to Le Cochon Dingue, and the reason is quite simple: it's one of the city's most popular restaurants, for visitors and locals alike! The concept is quite interesting: the restaurant looks like a French bistro, but the menu has been slightly "French Canadianized". They make it a point to use local products, and they mix it up with traditional French recipes - the result is simply delicious! If you can, make sure to save some room for dessert: "les desserts cochons" have come to be known as one of the restaurant's specialties. Le Cochon Dingue is also known as one of the top places to go for a good breakfast in Quebec City.

Favorite Dish My two favorite dishes are the Croque-madame and the goat cheese salad :o)

Jefie's Profile Photo
Jefie
Nov 07, 2009

Le Couchon Dingue: Great for breakfast, lunch or dinner!

City:Lower Old Quebec City
Outdoor Patio: Yes

Scotsgal's Profile Photo
Scotsgal
May 23, 2003

Le Cochon Dingue: A "must eat"

This is probably one of the best know restaurants in Quebec. Personally, we went to the one in front of the ferry and we found the terrace noisy, but we we're just so pleased about being "the better couple" that we didn't care too much for ambiance..
;)

Favorite Dish I loved my fagotilioni (or something like that). Thought their overly long description could have been cut to: pasta with rosée sauce.

Nickie disliked her stuff. And really..boiled chicken for this kind of place is not acceptable..

Deus_ultima's Profile Photo

9 av. Ste-Genevieve, Quebec City, G1R 4A7, Canada
1 Rue des Carrieres, Quebec City, Quebec, G1R 4P5, Canada
13 av. Ste-Geneviève, G1R 4A7

Le Cochon Dingue

When I checked out of the bookstore with my travel guide of Quebec City, the cashier told me to make sure I went to the restaurant with the big pig on the sign. She couldn't remember the French name, but she definitely remembered the food!

Shortly after my arrival in Quebec City, I stumbled upon the restaurant with the pig sign: Le Cochon Dingue (Babelfish translates this as "the Nutcase Pig" but I have my doubts!).

For breakfast, we sat at the outdoor tables on Blvd Champlain with a nice view of the Old Port. We enjoyed great coffee, fresh bread, home made jam, along with a nice omelet.

The menu is full of original dishes like duck confit spring rolls, three duck salad, steak frites, grilled pork kebabs, maple smoked ribs, seafood pot pie, ribs and waffles, and much more. Meals range from about $15 to $30 Canadian dollars.

Ewingjr98's Profile Photo
Ewingjr98
Dec 09, 2011

Cochon Dingue: Cochon Dingue

We went there the day after our camping trip. It was so nice to eat real food out of clean real plates sitting on a real chair and not so dirty ourselves! By the way it almost means 'crasy pig'...

Favorite Dish Ham rolls, french fries and Boreal red beer. There is also great breakfasts.

BEETLE_VERTE's Profile Photo
BEETLE_VERTE
Aug 25, 2002

Le Cochon Dingue: Go crazy at Le Cochon Dingue!

Great desserts... everything else looked good too. It's hidden off in a little corner with what looks like the world's smallest doorway. Nice place to stop for coffee and a bit around 5 p.m., as you KNOW you won't have dinner until around 9 p.m. anyway.

Favorite Dish The baked stuff. (sigh) Yum.

Lilymaid's Profile Photo
Lilymaid
Apr 01, 2004
Jefie's Profile Photo

Jefie

"Quebec, mon amour!"
jamiesno's Profile Photo

jamiesno

"Quebec City, Quebec, Canada"
Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Bwana_Brown

"Quebec City - A Bit of Europe Close at Hand!"
mim95's Profile Photo

mim95

"Quebec, the charming French town"
Greggor58's Profile Photo

Greggor58

"Une Petite Tour de La Ville de Quebec...."

Things to Do Near Le Cochon Dingue

Quebec-Levis Ferry

For the best view on the breathtaking panorama of Québec City you should take the ferry to Lévis. It leaves from the lower old town every 30 minutes. A 10-minute ride takes you across St. Lawrence...

Terrasse Dufferin

Frederick Temple Hamilton-Temple-Blackwood was Lord Dufferin’s full name – try filling that out on a border control form! From 1872 to 1878, Lord Dufferin served as the third Governor General of...

Walking around Vieux Quebec

Rue du Trésor is a small alley near the iconic Château Frontenac hotel. There, artists display their paintings and etchings. It starts off rue Sainte-Anne, in front of Place d'Armes, and ends at rue...

Quebec Experience

Quebec Experience - A 3D spectacle of 30 mn. From 10AM to 10PM (15 May to 15 October). Alternatively in English and in French. Mainly 3D photographes with an astonishing mobile face on the left side,...

Notre-Dame Basilica Cathedral

Dating to 1647, this is the oldest parish church in North America north of Mexico. The church burnt down twice – 1759 during the English siege and in 1922. The façade is neo-classic in design and...

Rue du Tresor

This is where French colonists used to come to pay their annual tax. The street lost that function with the cession of New France to Britain and the street became a side alley. In the 1960’s when...

Getting to Le Cochon Dingue