More Fun things to do in Canada

Most Viewed Things to Do in Canada

• traveldave's Profile Photo

The Olympic Village

by traveldave Updated Jun 18, 2013

Located just northeast of the Olympic Stadium, the former Olympic Village was built in just one year to house the athletes and team officials during the 1976 Olympic Summer Games. It contains 980 individual apartments that housed a total of 11,000 athletes and team officials.

All these years later the complex is still one of the most distinctive architectural achievements in Montreal. Designed by architect René Lépine of the Montreal-based architectural firm of Groupe Lépine, it consists of two 23-story buildings, each made up of two half-pyramids.

Following the Olympic Games, the Olympic village was converted to rental units. Now called simply The Village, these luxury condominiums are among the most coveted living spaces in Montreal.

Victoria Park

by Africancrab Written Aug 15, 2012

We made a quick stop at Victoria Park on our way home after the mall. My sister told me this was one of the outdoor places she and her son go to often. She thinks it is Kitchener's most famous outdoor park and conveniently located in the heart of downtown Kitchener. From where I stood, it looked pretty large, I found myself thinking of the many ways I would take advantage of it if I lived in Kitchener. Locals no doubt use it for recreation, events and festivities. Because the Grand river is near Kitchener, the trails at Victoria Park border the shores of the river.

The city manages all the trails, they are well maintained. Great place for family with children, taking a stroll with a loved one or alone, picnicking, riding and more.

• Hiking and Walking

Niagara Falls

by Africancrab Written Aug 10, 2012

An outstanding force of nature, the falls is. The giant wall of water falling, the deafening sound of the water, and white mist rising creating a white blanket of rain. The sheer force of the water is mind boggling. I took my babies for an adventure and we sure had an adventure. Take a look at my review of 'Maid of the Mist'.

Through the years, I have read reviews about the Canadian side of Niagara falls being a tourist trap and that it is all built up, but that was not what I saw, I was actually surprised at how big the falls is and in fact untouched. The recreational part of Niagara is far from where the falls is. The development does not take away from the falls at all.

You can avoid the area with all the museums, bars and restaurants by going directly to the falls. Naturally the Canadian gov't will want to make money from tourists by taking advantage of the falls. If you feel trapped, it means you wanted to get trapped. Like any other country that relies on tourism, Canada is only taking advantage of you if you let them. I only spent $30 for my daughter and I, for Maid of the Mist, and another $9.50 for ice cream for myself, my sister, her son, and my daughter. I wasn't taken by anything but the falls. My daughter wanted to go on the giant Sky wheel, but she did not win me over. So be a cautious traveler and you will enjoy this area of Canada. And if you are not a winter traveler, do not go there in the winter you will not have fun, I know I did that many years back on the US side and hated it. I hear it is something to see in the night.

Niagara Falls 1 Niagara Falls 2 Niagara Falls 3 Niagara Falls 4 Niagara Falls 5

Maid of the Mist

by Africancrab Written Aug 10, 2012

One of the things I wanted to do going to Niagara Falls was to go close to the falls at the bottom. The thrilling and adventurous boat ride famously known as ‘Maid of the Mist’ provided a great opportunity for me and my little ones to have an adventure. My 12 year old and 5 month old came along and had an incredible time. We left Kitchener for Niagara Falls Park at about 9:30 am, arriving at approximately 11:00 pm. It was pretty hot and humid, but that did not stop us from going right to the tours and ticket counter. My sister did not come with because she has a phobia for water.
    Our tickets cost US or CAN 15, the baby was free. We got in line (yes it was incredibly crowded), for the descent down to the dock. An elevator took us down to the bottom from where we were given blue ponchos to keep us dry from the water spray from the falls. We missed the first boat because it filled up quick, we took the second one. We went up for a better view; the tour was 15 minutes in total excluding the walk from the top to the bottom where the tour begins.

I must say, I have not had as much fun in the last 2 years as I had taking this tour. The falls is massive, words do it no justice. The force with which it falls, the spray and white looks like you walked right into a blizzard. The giant wall that appears as you get really close and turn is almost frightening; but it is mostly awe inspiring, leaving many gapping. The thunder of the falls as it drops many feet down is deafening, at one point I could not hear anyone speaking, even the closest person to me, who was my daughter. t was important for me not to keep my camera out all the time seeing as it is not water proof, but if you have a waterproof or underwater camera, you will want to carry that with you when you go to the falls. You will definitely get wet whether you go to the top of the boat or stay at the lower level. Be sure to tie the top part of the poncho under your chin otherwise the wind will blow it right off your head.

The boat has a guide who spoke to us over the PA at the beginning and at the end of the tour. This tour is available from both the Canadian and American sides. Many come to the Canadian side because it has the bigger part of the falls. This is a must see attraction if you find yourself in Canada, or plan to visit Canada. The falls is one of the world’s natural wonders, and you can take that off your list. This was $15 well spent and I would do it again.

Maid of the Mist 1 Maid of the Mist 2 Maid of the Mist 3 Maid of the Mist 4 Maid of the Mist 5
    • Sailing and Boating

Absolute World Towers

by Africancrab Written Aug 9, 2012

The 53 story tall twin towers of Mississauga are quite the eye catcher for anyone who visits this sub urban city in Ontario, Canada. I was taken by them when my sister dropped me and my children at the sears store to meet my brother. They are residential condominiums and quite the architectural achievement. Named after America's most famous female entertainer, the towers are actually called the Absolute Towers.

They tower the skies of Mississauga giving it the feel of a big urban city, but nothing like Toronto of course. They are a sight to see, you can't miss them if you visit Mississauga.

Marilyn Monroe towers 1 Marilyn Monroe towers 2 Marilyn Monroe towers 3 Marilyn Monroe towers 4 Absolute towers
    • Photography
    • Architecture

St. Jacobs Country

by Africancrab Written Aug 9, 2012

Located just north of Waterloo, this charming rural town is Ontario's favorite rural destination. Seeing as I love culture and tradition, my sister thought I would love visiting St. Jacobs. She thought right, what was disappointing however was the fact that we arrived late evening and the town was closing down for the evening; yes I meant closing down at 6:00 pm. This is Ontario's Most Charming Pennsylvania Dutch Rural Destination.

We walked around nonetheless and with no traffic, we had the streets pretty much to ourselves. I could tell that it is filled with shops with fun items, the old church and brewery would have been great to tour had they been opened. Some of St. Jacobs’s attractions, such as the Outlet Mall, the Farmers Market and Market Road Antiques, are all located a few miles from the touristic village.

Historic St. Jacobs Historic St. Jacobs 1 Historic St. Jacobs 2 Historic St. Jacobs 3 Historic St. Jacobs 4

Toronto Lester B. Pearson International Airport

by Africancrab Written Aug 9, 2012

My children and I flew Air Canada into Toronto Lester B. Pearson International Airport from Washington Reagan National Airport a week ago. The airport is clean and easy to navigate. We arrived early so the airport was empty. Security was high which is always good. What was interesting was the experience of trying to get back inside the terminal after exiting. We did not pick up Alexander's stroller when we got our bags. I had to go through security again, fill out paper work and get an escort to go back to baggage claim to get the stroller. The process was flawless and made easy. The airport signs are clearly marked for both domestic and international arrivals.

We departed through the same airport, departures presented a whole lot of challenges especially with security and customs. I was asked to fill in paperwork for all items I had bought in Canada including the 50 cent jar of apple sauce for Alexander. I had to take my checked in bags to customs myself which was quite a distance, but not unmanageable.
    Good airport all in all I would say.

Toronto Lester B. Person International Airport 1 With my son on arrival in Canada My daughter on arrival in Canada Toronto Lester B. Person International Airport  2 Toronto Lester B. Person International Airport 3
    • Business Travel

• mickeyboy07's Profile Photo

Rocky Mountains

by mickeyboy07 Updated Dec 27, 2011

The Rocky Mountains or 'Rockies'as they are sometimes called are a range of Mountains in Western North America.They stretch from the Northernmost part of British Colombia in Canada to New Mexico in the Southwestern part of the United States.The Mountains were formed from 80 million to 55 million years ago,since then erosion by water and glaciers has sculpted the mountain range into dramatic valleys and peaks.At the end of the last Ice Age humans started to inhabit the mountains.After Europeans such as Alexander MacKenzie and the Lewis and Clarke expedition started to explore the range,minerals and furs drove the initial economic exploitation of the mountains,although the range itself never became densely populated.Currently most of the range is protected by public parks and forest lands and is a popular tourist destination especially for skiing,hiking and fishing.Popular parks in Canada include:Jasper National park,Banff National park both in Alberta and Kooteney National park in British Colombia.The Canadian Rockies form most of the boundry between these Provinces.

Mountains in British Colombia Mountains in Alberta Mountains overlooking Jasper
    • Skiing and Boarding
    • Hiking and Walking

• Trip From Chicago to Niagara Falls:

by docamer99 Written Dec 26, 2011

It all started impulsively. One day during kids summer break I was sitting on the computer and it striked me that I have not seen Niagara Falls yet. Its funny I got up and ask my wife if she wants to take a trip. Of course she got excited and said yep so we got all the kids ready and took of. This turned out to be the best trip we ever took. On the way to Niagara we stopped in London Ontario and visited a Safari there. It was a blast kids loved it. At the Safari we drove our own car throughout and it was just great. You could see the lions and cheetahs and all other sort of animals walking around. The best thing was while we were driving we had monkeys jumping through cars. My kids just loved it.

London Ontario Safari London Ontario Safari
    • Theme Park Trips
    • Zoo

• RoscoeGregg's Profile Photo

Sea Kayak The Coast

by RoscoeGregg Updated Oct 15, 2011

$s5Sea kayaking off the coast of British Columbia is an experience that should be on everyone’s list. It is a relatively safe way to get very close to the costal environment.

The coast line is covered with seldom visited cove and beaches. The towns and small cities are interesting and welcoming.

Like all biotic transition zones there is tons of wildlife.

It was for me a life transforming event the first time I did it. I highly recommend it.

If you are unsure there are guide services available. Many kayak shops even rent kayaks. I say old boy give it a go!

The Vehicle to Bliss Barbara relaxes as we cruse under sail Even tide Our Hands After 10 days in the water Barbara Brings Up Her Kit
    • Sailing and Boating
    • Water Sports
    • Kayaking

• RoscoeGregg's Profile Photo

Bike The Ice field Parkway

by RoscoeGregg Updated Oct 15, 2011

If you are looking for the best cycle tour in North America then this is it! It has it all.

It is challenging but not so much that an relatively inexperienced cyclist will quit. It was my friend Barbara's first tour. The scenery is just mind blowing.

It is easy to sag or do without support. The traffic is limited to 35mph and the shoulders are wide. There is great camping all along the way.

At either end there are great towns to unwind in. With bus service for an easy shuttle.

There are climbs and long rewarding downhills. There are mountains, rivers, glaciers, waterfalls, lakes and tons of wildlife.

So tune your bike and make plans.

From the year of the tandem Barbara Gloats Because We Are Riding Unsupported It is all down from here baby!! We met a lot of other cyclists here Crusin On The Parkway
    • Cycling

• sheherezad's Profile Photo

Aurora Borealis

by sheherezad Written Jun 12, 2011

The Greater Edmonton Visitor Guide 2011 says: Suggested months: Sept to April.

"Begin your tour at the Telus World of Science - Edmonton, to understand the cosmic forces that create this sky dance, in the evening, go to the Aurora Borealis viewing area to skygaze at galaxies and more through a telescope. An astronomer will be on hand to advise on how to get the best photograph the Aurora.

Then head north on Highways 2, 55, and 63 to Fort Murray, Alberta's northern-most city, to experience the mysteries of constellations that spellbind residents and visitors alike in the crisp night sky."

• traveldave's Profile Photo

The CN Tower

by traveldave Updated Apr 16, 2011

At 1,815 feet (553 meters), the CN Tower was the world's tallest free-standing structure until surpassed by the Burj Khalifa in Dubai in 2007. There are two levels where visitors can get panoramic views of the entire Toronto metropolitan area: the Look Out at 1,136 feet (346 meters), and the Sky Pod at 1,465 feet (447 meters). The Look Out level has the world's largest revolving restaurant, which revolves once every 72 minutes. It offers diners uncomparable views of the Toronto area. A high-speed outside glass elevator takes visitors to the Look Out level in only 58 seconds.

The CN Tower was built in the 1970s as a transmission mast by the Canadian Broadcasting Company in partnership with the Canadian National Railroad conglomerate.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Newfoundland - Atlantic Ocean whale watching

by Bwana_Brown Updated Apr 4, 2011

While we were on the northern tip, we took the opportunity to go on a whale watching expedition. As we sailed out, the scenery looking back toward shore was spectacular and the trip got even better as we soon came upon a pod of Humpback whales. We were able to slowly come up behind them and it was amazing to see their vague dark outlines under the water just before they surfaced. Several times, we just sat bobbing on the waves with the engine off listening to the sounds of the ocean and the whales blowing as they surfaced! Other sighting possibilities in this area are the smaller Minke whales as well as some Fin, Sei and Killer Whales. We paid US$21 each for our great afternoon experience!

A very comfortable and quite roomy replica Viking ship was used for the tour (2nd photo) - there was a considerable crowd onboard but there was lots of room to move around. Wet-weather gear is supplied as part of the package (and we needed it briefly as we passed through a shower at one stage).

This replica of a Norse 'knarr' cargo ship was built and sailed to Newfoundland in 2000 to celebrate the 1000th anniversary of the Viking landing in Newfoundland. After the ripples had died down, the ship was outfitted for whale-watching voyages out of St. Lunaire, very close to Saint Anthony. The Vikings had different types of ships depending on what their main use was. Shorter and wider (54 feet x 15 feet) than a raiding longboat, the Knarr was used as an ocean-going freighter. Because its deck was higher than a longboat, rowing was usually done standing up when entering or leaving harbour. There were small sheltered areas at both the bow and stern were some of the crew could take shelter from the elements. However, with no pumps, bailing was a constant requirement - usually the job of children when aboard. We had a great whale-watching ride on this craft with Viking Boat Tours!

Humpback whale blowing Replica of a Viking 'Knarr'
    • Whale Watching
    • Beaches

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Newfoundland - inland fjords

by Bwana_Brown Updated Apr 4, 2011

Part way up the western peninsula is another UNESCO World Heritage Site, Gros Morne National Park. The Long Range Mountains on this peninsula of Newfoundland were formed hundreds of millions of years ago during the geological changes associated with the formation of the Earth's continents. During the Ice Ages, huge glaciers carved these 'fjords' in the resulting mountain ranges. Later, as the climate warmed, the glaciers melted and the surface of the earth gradually rebounded as the great weight was removed. As a result, these fjords were cut off from the ocean itself, forming trapped bodies of water, called 'Ponds' in Newfoundland.

There are a couple of tour boats that provide an excellent voyage into the 16-km fjord, with bookings in nearby Rocky Harbour. In the peak tourist season of July and August, we were lucky to be able to book ourselves on the last cruise of the afternoon (summer departures for the 2-hour cruise are 10 AM, 1 PM and 4 PM) at a cost of US$27/adult (2004 prices). This view shows the sheer 2300 ft cliffs as our boat heads into the fjord as we enjoyed a running commentary on the various waterfalls, cliff features and wildlife that is encountered. As the tour passes close inshore to the various huge cliffs, you will have the chance to see many amazing rock formations formed over the years by erosion. The cold waters of the lake itself are 165-m (500 ft) deep and are home to Arctic Char, Atlantic Salmon and Brook Trout. There are frequent rock falls (geologically speaking) and the evidence can be seen on huge portions of the walls where the surface has been swept clean of all plant life. The boat operators mentioned that one tour about 10 years earlier had actually witnessed a section of the cliffs giving way and crashing down into the Pond. The 2nd photo shows our accompanying tour boat as we make our way back toward the entrance of the Pond. The floating dock nearby is where transfers to land are made for those who chose to hike into or out of here via the trail system in the Park.

Entering the fjord of Western Brook Pond The view looking back out as a boat departs
    • Beaches

5 Hotels
Woodstock Hotels
5 Reviews - 6 Photos

Instant Answers: Canada

Comments

Canada Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Canada things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Canada sightseeing.
Map of Canada