Those who visit Dawson City should take an hour to drive the seven kilometres to the top of the Dome, a rounded peak behind Dawson that offers panoramic view over the city and the Yukon and Klondike river valleys. I found this bird's eye view magnificent even though smoke from nearby wildfires partially obscured the view.
On June 21, 1899, at the summer solstice, promoters promised newcomers to Dawson City that the "Midnight Sun" could be viewed from the Dome. 150 people made the climb to the top of the Dome that evening and were greeted with nuts, candies, cigars and soft drinks at suitably inflated prices. The formal ceremony began with a bugle call and the raising of both British and American flags. The highlight of the evening was a speech by playwright and poet Capt. Jack Crawford.
But the sun dissapointed the crowd by setting at 11:30 p.m. and rising again two hours later. This is 165 miles south of the Arctic Circle where the "Midnight Sun" is a reality, although it never gets really dark here on the evening of the longest day of summer because the sun is just below the horizon. No one expects to see the midnight sun at the Dome any more, but it is still a favorite place to enjoy the long summer evenings.
- Adventure Travel
- Road Trip
This massive machine, mired in Bonanza Creek near where gold was first discovered in 1896, is one of about two dozen such dredges which roamed the creeks of the Klondike until about 1960. It is the largest bucket line, wooden-hulled dredge in North America, and a significant example of corporate industrial mining in Canada. It has been designated a National Historic Site and is one of the Yukon's most visited attractions.
Dredge # 4 is located 12.3 Km from Dawson City on Bonanza Road. The dredge may be viewed any time, and tours are available in summer.
- Historical Travel
- Museum Visits
The firefighter's museum is very interesting, as you get to know some interesting bits of history about Dawson City. They have an exhibit of vehicles used from the 1890's to the present day. It's across the road from the ferry fanding and it's opened Tuesday to Saturday:12:30 pm - 5:30 pm
Phone: (867) 993 - 7407