map
chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Mexico Magical Towns: 8-Day Tour from Mexico City
"Your 8-day tour will take you from Mexico City through amazing and magical places in central Mexico on this 8-day and 7-night tour. You will have the opportunity to visit archaeological sites from Puebla and Cholula to Santa Maria del Tule and Mitla and then go through the countless attractions of Oaxaca city and the world famous Mexico City.""""Enjoy an 8-day 7-night tour through some of the best towns in Central Mexico and get to learn more about the magic of this country and the rich culture in each town. Your tour includes accommodation entrance fees
From $4,477.00

Teotihuacan Pyramids and Basilica of Guadalupe
"After hotel pickup in Mexico City you will drive to Tlatelolco today the largest archaeological site in Mexico City. Here you'll learn about this important site which was part of the capital of the Aztec empire and where the biggest market of that empire stood. You will walk by and see Plaza of the Three Cultures where the Pre-hispanic colonial and modern Mexico get together. Following your Tlatelolco tour you will head to the Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe (Basilica de Guadalupe). This is the most important religious building in all of Mexico and one of the most visited places in the Catholic world
From $41.00

Private Tour: Teotihuacan and Guadalupe Shrine
"You will be picked up from your hotel in Mexico City and head to the archaeological zone of Tlatelolco. Here you will admire the famous buildings and learn about the history of this place. From there you will head to visit the famous Guadalupe Shrine where you will spend some time (length of visit depends on you) and learn about the history of the place the miracles attributed to the Virgin of Guadalupe and the importance it holds for the Mexican culture. Continue the tour driving 30 minutes to reach the archaeological zone of Teotihuacan where you will have a thorough visit. See the main landmarks incl the palace of Quetzalpapalotl Pyramid of the Sun (which you can climb) Avenue of the Dead and Pyramid of Quetzalcoatl. After the visit
From $88.00

Cafe de Tacuba Tips (15)

Cafe de Tacuba: The taste and touch of "Old Mexico"

This is a "traditional" Mexican restaurant, in every sense of the word. Cafe de Tacuba has been around a long time, 94 years. When you walk in and are seated, and absorb your surroundings - you'll think you've been transported back in time, way back!

Boveda-style ceilings, dark woods, murals painted on the walls, crisply uniformed waitstaff and well-heeled diners is what you see in this "Centro Historico" landmark.

The restaurant is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Favorite Dish I've eaten late lunches and late dinners here, never breakfast. My favorite meal is "Pechuga de Pollo con Mole Poblano" - that's a huge breast of chicken smothered in home-made Poblano-style mole sauce - choclaty brown and rich in texture and flavor. I top-off the meal with a bottle of the rich-tasting dark beer - "Cerveza Negra Modelo." I've eaten this dish many places in Mexico but never found one better.

At night, and on weekend afternoons, you will usually find a group of "estudiantinas" (traditionally dressed singers and musicians - more "Spanish" style than indigenous Mexican) who stroll through the restaurant playing mandolins, guitars and singing - it's a wonderful compliment to any meal.

The food here isn't "great," but it's good and, for those of us spending foreign currency in Mexico - the prices are moderate.

gomexico's Profile Photo
gomexico
Apr 04, 2011

Cafe Tacuba: Traditional old place to eat in Mexico City

This is a place where you eat Mexican food, and it has a very Mexican atmosphere as well (a beautiful decoration & live music). The food is good, prices a little high but not out of budget. In general, it's a good place to eat.

The original restaurant is in downtown (which was affected by a fire a few years ago but it was perfectly refurbished and you wouldn't be able to tell such thing happened), a few blocks away from Bellas Artes. It's very popular so if you go there by lunch time (around 2 PM) it will be very crowded and you will have to wait a bit to be seated.

Favorite Dish Nothing in particular, mostly all stuff is good here. My mom recommends the Enchiladas (verdes - that is, with green sauce). The green Chilaquiles (very similar to enchiladas) are also very good; both dishes are made with tortilla, chicken, cream and cheese, and covered with green sauce (the one they make there is not very hot so you can eat it safely). There is a dish called "4 cositas" ("four little things") which has 4 different mexican dishes in one: a tamal, an enchilada, a flauta and rice with beans. VERY fulfilling, and all the stuff included in it was good!!!

Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo
Laura_Mexico
Jan 31, 2011

Cafe de Tacuba: Awesome tamales

I loved Cafe de Tacuba and even though there were plenty of options for food, I kept going back there for the tamales. The other food seemed good too, but since I love tamales that was the only thing I ate. On top of that the wait staff were super nice, as was everybody I encountered in Mexico City. Even though it's probably in every tourist book, I would recommend stopping by here. Great atmosphere.

Favorite Dish Any type of tamale - can't go wrong.

chunliu's Profile Photo
chunliu
Mar 04, 2010

Cafe' de Tacuba: Pure ambience and the Chile' Rellenos (OH!)...

I was attracted to Cafe' de Tacuba as I strolled by at night noticing it's decore and the clientele were predominantly Mexicano. I returned to my lodgings for a better fit as by no means did it appear a place for the downtrodden. Returning soon w/an aquaintance we were greeted w/the utmost courtesy, though crowded, placed immeadiately. The fun began right now! Mariaches serenaded the ladies w/ fine flare as they blushed or brazenly stood and took "a turn" besting the musicians at what they were doing. The food was great! The tortillas fresh, hot, and the best. The chile' rellenos super. The flan (dessert) , though overpriced, fantastic. I know so this can be taken to heart. My Godparents raised a blued eyed beaner ( her uncle was the Presidente' de Mexico, Don Miguel Alleman de Vasqes). My step-father was puro chicano and Grandma Teresa made rellenos buenos! Ambience, flair it was there and all in a gorgeous colonial mansion w/a spiral staircase.

Favorite Dish The Chile' Rellenos, tortilla, rice, and beans w/ vino tinto de Santo Tomas (Valle' de Guadelupe'; Baja California del Norte'), finished w/ the flan was perfect. My friend however enjoyed the "Comidas". It was a delightfull plate w/ a variety of taste. An enchilada, tamale', tostada, and a fried squash flower (flor de calabasa), all beautifully garnished w/ guacamole', radish, shredded lettuce, tomates, and queso cotija.

ponchovia
Aug 30, 2009

Sponsored Listings

Hotels Near Cafe de Tacuba

Hotels
Avenida Cien Metros 4823, Mexico City, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast, 07770, Mexico
Guerrero 12, Col. Buenavista, Federal District, 06350
Insurgentes Norte 226, Col. Santa María la Ribera, 06400
Av. Paseo de la Reforma No. 334, Col. Juarez, Mexico City, 06600, Mexico
Avenida Paseo de La Reforma 105, Colonia Tabacalera, Mexico City 06030, Mexico
Hotels
Paseo de la Reforma 64, Colonia Juarez, Mexico City, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast, 06600, Mexico

Cafe Tacuba: Recommended by travel books and locals.

The hotel front desk, Mexico city's turibus driver and frommer's book recommended this restaurant to us. Do we need to say more?
Food was good but it's on the expensive side for Mexican standard. The restaurant itself was very busy, we had to wait for 20 minutes for a table. There was a mariachi band playing that weekend at the restaurant. I don't know if they have that on weekdays too.

Favorite Dish I had a chicken Pozole - which I thought it was pretty good. Spicy, but good.

sorcieus's Profile Photo
sorcieus
Jan 04, 2009

Cafe de Tacuba: Go elsewhere, do not buy the hype

Food was bland. Ambience/surroundings were O.K., but you can find much better places where the food and ambience is much much better. The service staff is unmotivated and will try to short-change you.

Favorite Dish All dishes were bland, except for the Tamal de Tacuba was decent, although I've had better.

huipil
Dec 08, 2008

Cafe Tacuba: A Mexico City Landmark

I'd read about Cafe Tacuba in my guide book but got the vibe that it was more touristy than the type of restaurant I was looking for. That being said, it's not that easy to find places to eat around the Zocalo at night, so two girls from the hostel and I decided to check it out on my last night in Mexico City.

First, the restaurant is absolutely beautiful. From the stained glass at the entrance to the beautiful tilework on the walls, Cafe Tacuba is a sight for sore eyes. In addition to the beautiful atmosphere, there is live mariachi music throughout your meal (please tip the musicians!).

However, Cafe Tacuba leaves a lot to be desired on the food and service fronts. Despite an expansive menu, the food quality is only average. I had cheese enchiladas in salsa verde and they were not great. Nobody else particularly enjoyed their meal either, and we felt that prices were very high in relation to the quality of the food. The service was brisk and our server never smiled at us. She was also a little bit rude about answering our questions, which is surprising in a restaurant that makes most of its money off tourists.

On my second visit to Mexico City I avoided Cafe Tacuba, and I wouldn't return in the future. However, I did tell my parents to poke their heads through the door just to see how pretty it is. If only the service and food were half as nice!

Jetgirly
Jun 08, 2008

Cafe de Tacuba - it was just OK

the overall ambiance and decor of the place is nice but the food was just so so, plus the waitress wasn't friendly at all.
she had no smile on her face the entire night, did even bother to say thank you or good bye when I paid the bill and gave her the tip.
she just took the order, put the food the table and that's about it, a mediocre service at best. Of our entire trip this was probably the worst service we received in a restaurant.
we ordered the tamarindo and jugo de naranja and both tasted like fresh squeezed which we enjoyed. if you have a party of more than two, and you like tamarindo drink, you can order the half pitcher or full pitcher. we also liked the tamale oaxaca. The tamale oaxaca had meat with a nice spice to it. Our main course we had pozole and enchilada mole poblano. I had a craving for poloze since we arrived in Mexico City and wanted to try it here and I was disappointed. Having had pozole in many other parts of Mexico such as Puerto Vallarta, Cancun, Playa del Carmen etc. this was just so so. The enchilada mole poblano was so so as well. After the first one it took us a lot of effort to try to eat the second one and we couldn't eat much of the third one. My wife had mole poblano in Texas where we are from and she liked it better back home. Overall, it was fine to try the restaurant for the first time and check out the interior but this is probably not a restaurant we'd return.
Now as a disclaimer, I suppose we are not experts in authentic Mexican food. We are only judging the food based on our palate as Americans who had eaten a lot of Mexican food in Texas and have travelled regularly to Mexico and other parts of the world. So you can take it for what it's worth.

Favorite Dish tamale oaxaca - it was different than the other tamales we've had and the spice (not spice like hot spicy) was nice

speedracer3000
May 08, 2008

Top 5 Mexico City Writers

Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo

Laura_Mexico

"The biggest city in the world..."
acemj's Profile Photo

acemj

"Heighten your senses in Mexico City"
jumanuel's Profile Photo

Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

Kuznetsov_Sergey

"Mexico City"
View Member

Cafe de Tacuba: mole, que rico mole!

This is a class place. Themed, I suppose around colonial ambience. Utterly authentic and definitely not geared to tourists (no, chile con carne) or tex/mex The mole (a rich cacao-based sauce, that reputedly has the highest number of ingredients in a sauce, somewhere in the region of thirty!) served with guajalote/pavo (turkey). Both , smooth, spicy and utterly delectable. The location is great too, just a couple of blocks from el zocalo and palacio del belles artes.

harvi98
Aug 13, 2007

Cafe de Tacuba: Good option in downtown

The place tend to look, like an old fashion place, the idea is to keep the old restaurant traditions in downtown. Visiting this place, you will be able to try any mexican dish you would like, so this place would be a nice option in the late afternoon, after visting the rest of the place.
The food is good!!

Favorite Dish Enchiladas and MOLE

jumanuel's Profile Photo
jumanuel
Feb 24, 2006

Cafe de Tacuba: The building is worth a visit

Cosy, good service -- has the feel of a real nice eatery. The interior is nicely decorated

Favorite Dish We drank mezcal - straight up. Everything tasted good after that.. No, it was all good. I had some mole de pollo, which was great.

shouvik's Profile Photo
shouvik
Feb 01, 2005

El cafe tacuba: Come for dinner and stay for the music

El Cafe Tacuba is a legend in Mexico City. Everybody, from politial VIPs to backpacking travellers makes a point to have at least one meal here while in Mexico City. Besides, if you like Latin rock music, you have to get on down to the original Cafe Tacuba that the popular band was named after.

Unlike the band, however, this place has been around a long time, and will probably still be going strong after the band is long forgotten.

The restaurant is located in an old, high-cielinged house decorated with colorful handpainted tiles.

Live entertainment is offered on weekends.

Quero's Profile Photo
Quero
Nov 18, 2004

Things to Do Near Cafe de Tacuba

Tres Culturas

Just North of the city center is this Aztec Temple ruin of the aztec city of Tlatelolco. These are by far the best preserved ruins in the city. It's a bit of a walk from the nearest metro but is well...

Museo Franz Mayer

The bulding was built during the XVI century, and after 400 years it was a hospital convent. Nowadays shows one of the most important collections of apply arts: shows, music, teather, literature,...

Plaza Santo Domingo

I'm setting up this page in geographical order, so if you've been reading each tip so far we've been exploring the area right around the Zocalo. If you head a few blocks north of the Zocalo, you'll...

Monumento a la Revolucion

This art-déco monument dedicated to the Mexican Revolution, is in the Plaza de la República, where the Museo Nacional de la Revolución is also located. The building was actually commissioned by...

Bellas Artes

This beautiful, multi-domed building is Mexico's national theatre, known as Palacio Nacional de Bellas Artes. It replaced a previous theatre, and was built in two stages and under two architects. The...

Secretaria de Educacion Publica

This building that today serves as the National Department of Education was built as a convent in 17th century. Today its attraction besides its ornate colonial era architecture are the murals painted...

Getting to Cafe de Tacuba

Address

We don't yet have an address for this Restaurants. Help us improve our info!

Hours