This building that today serves as the National Department of Education was built as a convent in 17th century. Today its attraction besides its ornate colonial era architecture are the murals painted in the 1920's by Mexico's premier muralists Rivera, Siqueiros and Orozco.
This complex was built in 1921 by the engineer Federico Mendez Rivas, on order of Jose Vasconcelos, who whised to provide this government department with a building worthy of its functions. Its interior was decorated with murals by Diego Rivera, representing scenes of Mexico's political, social and economic life panel by panel through the corridors.
The second floor, painted with 26 scenes, contains a border with the words of three famous corridos: The Ballad Of Zapata, The Agrarian Revolution Of 1910 and So Will Be The Proletariat Revolution. It also displays murals by Jean Charlot and Armando de la Cueva. Over the years, SEP's main offices have taken over several adjoining buildings, such as the former residences of the Marquises De Villamayor (1530), and of the conquerer Cristobal de Onate (1530) as well as the former customs buildings, extending along Calles Argentina and Brasil.