Map &

chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Tijuana Sightseeing Tour from San Diego
"You’ll be picked up from your San Diego hotel and taken on a comfortable coach ride south to Tijuana a town right below the US-Mexico border.Learn from your guide how this city founded in 1889 was once home to the Grand Casino which attracted celebrities and Hollywood movie stars like Charlie Chaplin Rita Hayworth Jack Dempsey and Babe Ruth. Pass the Avenue of the Heroes (Paseo de los Héroes)
From $48.00

Tijuana Sightseeing Tour from San Diego
From $48.00

San Diego and Tijuana Combo Tour with Optional Harbor Cruise
"After pickup from your San Diego hotel in the morning you’ll be taken on a narrated tour by comfortable air-conditioned coach. Enjoy the beautiful sights of sunny San Diego and scenic Coronado. Some of the places you’ll see include Old Town Balboa Park the Gaslamp Quarter Seaport Village Seal Rock
From $78.00

People / Language Tips (23)

We Love -Our Wairters- Love Us!

In case you haven't noticed, I love the service I get in Tijuana restaurants. Of course the Servers love me too! I treat them respectfully, they treat me like a queen. I tip generously and they eagerly welcome me back! This picture is of the welcome given to my Slovak cousin by the waiters at the Guadalajara Grill upon our return. They catered to her every whim and she had a wonderful time. You can too!

Apr 12, 2012

Table-Side Serenade

It is a custom for roving Mariachis or a single guitar strumming singer to enter a restaurant in Tijuana and offer to play a requested song for you at your table. This is not only for tourists, it is also true for Tijuana residents. Of course, there is a price to pay and it should be negotitated before the song begins. Just ask how much for a song and decide if you'd like one or not. If you'd rather not, just say, "No Thank you."

This was our Troubador. His song price $2.00 and he sang his heart out and a bit out of tune but when he got to the melody, the song became recognizable. We chatted with him and found out that he was 86 years old and proud of it. He offered us a song without charge and meeting him was a highlight to our visit.

Mar 17, 2012

No Language Barrier

If you stick to the tourist spots, like Revolution, you will find that language isn't an issue. Most of the shopkeepers speak English very well. It does help to know spanish, but it is definitely not a requirement.

jason_oneill's Profile Photo
jason_oneill
Jul 08, 2007

PIROPOS

O.K. If you are a Mexican Man reading this please don't take offense but I feel I can say this since I am Mexican. Mexican men are well known for their piropos, they are simply a way a man flirts with a woman by making flirtratious comments about or to her. If you have never been around this you might find it offensive but it's not meant in a derrogative way. Of course, like any other thing, you might have a bad one out there but you just ignore those. You might hear, 'Tantas curvas y yo sin frenos" or "So many curves and I'm without brakes", I've heard that one so many times in Tijuana, you choose what to do, ignore it or smile and keep going. I hope that by sharing this with you, I have kept you from forming a bad impression of those men out there if you happen to get a piropo, it's simply a part of the Mexican man's life. It's all in good fun and simply a way for them to compliment you.

wild80s's Profile Photo
wild80s
Oct 07, 2005

Sponsored Listings

Hotels Near Tijuana

Via Oriente 9211, Zona del Rio, Tijuana, Baja California, 22320, Mexico
Avda Jose Maria Velazco 1409 A, Tijuana, Baja California, 22320, Mexico
Hotels
Blvd Rodolfo Sanchez Taboada 1606, Zona Rio, Tijuana, Baja California, 22420, Mexico
Calle Decima 516, Col Centro, Chihuahua, 31000, Mexico
Blvd Agua Caliente 4500, Tijuana, Baja California, 22420, Mexico
Paseo de los Heroes 10305, Tijuana, Baja California, 22320, Mexico

Say Hello, good day, and good bye!

Mexican people are very warm and friendly. You should always show respect to people bye first saying, good morning, good afternoon, good evening in spanish. This will break down any barriers to get to the real questions you may have. Smile and always say thank you!
Seems as if most Americans never heard this before!

Travel2write's Profile Photo
Travel2write
May 13, 2005

Dress code

Typically, dress is casual and comfortable, and surely related to the purpose of your visit. A few nightclubs and restaurants as I know do have dress restrictions, so call ahead to check if you are in doubt about what is appropriate.
The weather can be really hot (in summer) in Tijuana, but bring a sweater or light jacket for cool days or nights, especially in the winter.

Aug 20, 2003

Do they like green color?

I am not sure about it but I noticed that they paint quite a lot of buildings just in green; not pastel green like in many European Mediterranean countries (Italy) but bright, vivid green I could say. Hmm... I have probably never seen such green till that time.
Why just green? Is the bright green paint cheaper there he? Or maybe it's national Mexican color? The flag of Mexico is green-white-red.

From my friend Dee (Yaqui) from Tehachapi, California, USA:
You got it, they love green because it's in their flag. White is too bland and red is considered a little loud to them.
Thank you, Dee.

Aug 02, 2003

Tipping

Mexico is a country where tips are expected, as in many other countries.

In hotels and restaurants, tips are absolutely required.
In restaurants, a 15% tip is customary.
In hotels, tips for bellboys are usually based on the number of pieces of luggage they handle. In other situations, tips are given at your discretion.
Taxis do not require a tip, except for a special tour or service.

Jul 31, 2003

lmkluque

"Tijuana--South Of The Border!"

matcrazy1

"Gate to real Mexico :-)"
trotador's Profile Photo

Yubert's Profile Photo

Yubert

"Home away from home!"
View Member

Baseball cap or Mexican hat?

Enlarge my picture, please. You can see two Mexican guys: one wearing baseball cap (American style, I could say - they love baseball :-), the second wearing a hat, Mexican hat, am I wrong? Isn't Tijuana a city of mixed culture?

Hmm... I saw world famous somebreros only in stores there.

Jul 31, 2003

Sleeping Mexican boys

Warning: it's a kitschy tip.
Ready?

OK, enlarge my picture. There are a lot of such figures in various sizes made usually of plastic in many kitschy and not so kitschy gift stores of Tijuana.

Hmm... I have never seen sleeping Mexican boys (shepherds or who?) in bright red hats (sombreros) by dark green cactuses. Should I go more inland to see them, he?

Jul 27, 2003

Do they have many kids?

I noticed a few times local families with 4 or even more kids. Do they really have many kids? Is it a culture thing? A catholic religion influence? Illegal (socially or/and by law?) abortion and contraception? Higher fertility? What do you think?

Jul 26, 2003

Mixed population?

Hmm... not at all - most locals I met in Tijuana looked Latino (is it correct word?) - people with a little bit darker skin and black/dark hair, are there any blondie Latinos?

And I saw a lot of White people and a few Black people as well in Tijuana - locals or just visitors?

Jul 26, 2003

Things to Do Near Tijuana

Cultural Center

The Tijuana Cultural Center (CECUT) opened in 1982, with over a million visitors a year. This touristic attraction has been the main center for Mexican regional arts. The complex features an OMNIMAX...

Avenida Revolucion

avenida revolicion is central tijuanas main street , it is roughly 15 blocks long and is the street most frequented by tourists in the city although it had many more tourists before the drug violence...

Beach

This gorgeous, 1.5 mile stretch of pacific-side beach is the undisputed star of the island. It is very large, very clean, uncrowded, and free for locals and visitors alike to enjoy. It’s roughly...

San Diego Chinese Historical Museum

As we wandered Chinatown we came upon the First Emperor of China Statue. This sculpture is located at the entrance to the San Diego Chinese Historical Museum in San Diego's Gaslamp District. The...

Gaslamp Quarter

The Gaslamp Quarter is a historical neighborhood in downtown San Diego. This area encompasses sisteen blooks and is packed full of historic buildings, museums, restaurants, shopping, galleries and...

SD Convention Center

San Diego Convention Center, steps away from Gaslamp Quarter, is a huge downtown venue beloved by a great variety of visitors every year. Usually attended by business types, the center is great for...

Getting to Tijuana

Address

We don't yet have an address for this Local Customs. Help us improve our info!

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Local Customs. Help us improve our info!

Map