Map &

Been here?
Rate it

Top Tours

Private Cooking Master Class of Mexican Gourmet Cuisine and Markets Tour in Cancun
From $155.00
From $155.00
Private Cancun Shopping and City Tour
From $468.00

Downtown Cancun Tips (9)

Please visit the real downtown Cancun!

It is not dangerous to visit the downtown Cancun, at the beginning of the strip. For families with kids, there is so much to do, they have small cars for $2 for 10 min for kids to ride in the park and many shops and restaurants. On weekend nights, they have good sales and the food there is good, at the stalls, I ate there even when I was pregnant and it was okay.

travelnut71's Profile Photo
Apr 02, 2011

Both Downtown Cancuns

For the more adventurous, go downtown Cancun where the locals go. There are really two downtown Cancuns--the tourists' section, and the locals section. When we went in 2000, we were determined to see the locals section and did this by riding the bus at night to the end of Cancun. During the day, we found the locals market (Market 23). There the people had better prices, but some couldn't speak English. The tourists' market was fun too. The venders love to bargin and there is plenty of competition, so you can find some great buys. Hair braiding was really fast and cheap. Even the children will hustle you by coming from behind, slinding a woven braclet on your arm and saying "dollar." This became annoying though. Downtown is a nice break from the beach for at least one day.

katalinarunning's Profile Photo
Jun 03, 2007

The City

They have different things going on throughout the week. I went to their GRAVITY performance that is shown earlier in the evening before the place becomes a nightclub. IT was an interesting experience. Dinner and then a show. Lots of audience participation. Pretty cool and worth checking out. Addmission runs about $65 USD per person.

Mairo21's Profile Photo
Sep 11, 2005

pirate ship

This one is not as good as the one in Puerto Vallarta. It is two ships that sail together and in the midst of the voyage they join together for a dueling performance.
They have the dancing and contests. They have food which was just ok to me. My friend got food poisoning-allergic to pork. It does not land anywhere

The other passengers on board were more fun than the play that was put on. The service was decent though.

iam1wthee's Profile Photo
Jul 13, 2005
Sponsored Listings

Hotels in Cancún

Av. Tankah 69, Cancun, Yucatan Peninsula, 77500, Mexico
KM.20.5 , 77500
Av. Sunyaxchen Lote 46 y 47, Mza 2 Supermanzana 25 CP, Cancun, Quintana Roo, 77509, Mexico
Av Uxmal #21, Cancun, Quintana Roo, SM23 MZA 3, Mexico
Avenida Yaxchilan 41, SM22, Cancun, Yucatan Peninsula, 77500, Mexico
Street Cedro No. 40, Supermanzana 23, 77500

Iguanas Everywhere!

If you like iguanas just keep your eyes open while in Cancun, they are EVERYWHERE! Unfortunately, I have a phobia (YES I think its a phobia! LOL) of any kind of lizard and I cant stand them. Well they cant be avoided while in Cancun, I saw them on the side walks, beaches, everywhere! I'm sure they're harmless but ewwwwwwwwwwww! I took this picture while waiting for the bus and there they were just staring at me.

GinGinCoo's Profile Photo
Feb 20, 2004

Explore Downtown

Take the bus into the heart of Cancun and explore down there. You'll find plenty of restaurants and maybe even a festival. The restaurants are good and cheap almost all around. Sometimes guitar players will wander in off the street and play personalized songs for you, but be ready to cough up some pesos for it.

Also, if you plan on sitting on the beach and just drinking a bunch, the supermarket is the best place to buy cheap Coronas or XX.

mrdarius's Profile Photo
Apr 02, 2003

Put on you boggie shoes!!!

There are loads of these places around Cancun. This happens to be near the ADO bus station in Cancun. I just thought the name was a laugh. Although you can get two for one drinks.

Travmad's Profile Photo
Apr 02, 2007

Just relax

Just take it easy. Other posters will tell you otherwise. There is a lot of things to do and see. Many tours and swimming with dolphins...

motorcitykitty's Profile Photo
Oct 22, 2006
gipper84's Profile Photo

"Paradise in the Carribean"
Etoile2B's Profile Photo

"Spring Break 24/7/365"
Kaspian's Profile Photo

Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

"Cancun Condo"
GinGinCoo's Profile Photo

"Cancun, Mexico"

Downtown CanCun

Downtown shopping is the best. This is where you see the real beauty of the buildings. Just look at the only picture we have found of our CanCun experience.
LOL :)
Taxis to downtown are cheap.

senoritamc's Profile Photo
Aug 11, 2003

Things To Do in Cancún

Mercado 28

We arrived there by bus (Rte.2), and it took us some 10 minutes walk with sales guys along the way trying to sell us their stuff. The market itself was a huge disappointment, with products for sales...
Things to do

It was a package deal. The deal including cruising in a catamaran, snorkelling and half-day visits to Isla Mujeres plus lunch and drinks many as you want. At $70USD I thought it was worth it. We book...

Swim with Dolphins

Are these tourists really that clueless about this dolphin swim? Guys, dolphin families are killed so you can swim with the left over prisoners. Get a clue and inform yourself before handing over...

Coco Bongo

This place is a must visit, you'll find people from different ages, well from 18 yrs and up. there's no dress code so can wear anything you like jeans or dressit doesn't matter. This night club has...

Playa Norte

This is a great beach for swimming. The water is calm and it seems like you can walk out forever in just waist deep water. The turquoise waters are unbelievable. There are many bars and restaurants...

Getting to Cancún

Kukulcan Boulevard at Bonampak Avenue

We don't yet have hours for this Things to Do. Help us improve our info!