Swim with Dolphins, Cancún

Delphinus Riviera Maya
    by Rivieramaya

• Dolphin Killing?

by Dolphindeath Written May 7, 2015

Are these tourists really that clueless about this dolphin swim? Guys, dolphin families are killed so you can swim with the left over prisoners. Get a clue and inform yourself before handing over money to these people so they can continue to kill them. Google it will Ya? Jeeeez

• lusha86's Profile Photo

Delphinus Dreams Cancun

by lusha86 Written Mar 19, 2013

I swam with Dolphins in Delphinus Dreams Cancun. I had never done it before but it was really exciting! I have to confess that I was a really bit scared at the beginning but I ended up enjoying a lot! My boyfriend doesn’t know how to swim but he was able to do everything, even the footpush!

I did the Primax and next time I want to do the Trainer for a Day Program. If you are coming to Cancun or Riviera Maya you should totally do it!

• Amber-LovesDolphins's Profile Photo

Dolphins swim and slaughter

by Amber-LovesDolphins Written Sep 12, 2012

I had no idea that the same people who capture the "lucky" ones, slaughter off the rest of the pod. None of the dolphins in captivity at these parks are "rescued". They are actually orphans.

My heart broke when I watched how these innocent creatures are captured just so that I and my kids could get to swim with and kiss them.

I know it cannot make up for what has already happened, but I am now taking time to write to share with fellow travelers what I have learned.

Cayman is one of hundreds of aquatic parks that purchase Dolphins from an industry that slaughters thousands each year. The sad fact is that the dolphin park industry would not exist were it not for our want to swim with them. These parks pay $50,000-100,000 for each dolphin and then charge us to swim with them.

Will you please join me in getting informed about this tragedy and sharing with others?

Blessings,
    Amber

Address: Discovery Cove

Directions: Cayman Islands

Website: http://www.wspa-usa.org/wspaswork/marinemammals/wrongwithswimwithdolphins.aspx

• Diving and Snorkeling

• brkilbourne's Profile Photo

Swimming with Rescued Dolphins

by brkilbourne Written Jun 6, 2010

We were offered one free swim with dolphin & 3 more at ½ price for booking thru Expedia for 5 nights. Make sure you bring all print outs when booking. Make sure you have one that states the # of days required to stay and the dates. That said we had a great time. All dolphins at the Cancun Wet & Wild are rescued dolphins. Our dolphin, Echo, had a destroyed retina and was rescued from Australian waters when beached and dying from infection from bites suffered when attacked by a school of small sharks and he had the scares to prove it. Usually there are up to 15 people to a session. We lucked out because the trainer was taking back Echo as his trainer. They wanted to see how he reacted first time out. Great for us, 50 minutes close up and personal .

Website: http://www.wetnwildcancun.com/net/formularios/home.aspx

Echo kiss My Echo kiss The ride The ride The lift 800 lbs

• boltonian's Profile Photo

Swim with the Dolphins

by boltonian Written Sep 16, 2009

To swim with the dolphins, you are spoilt for choice in Cancun.

I whittled it down to 2 locations. One was Dolphin Discovery, a short boat ride from Cancun, or the Interactive Aquarium on the hotel zone strip.

This was based on reviews I had read.

Discovery was way more expensive, but did allow the opportunity to interact with Manatee and Sea Lions as well as Dolphins.

In the end, I decided that the cost, plus the fact that you could take in your own camera, meant that I went with the Interactive Aquarium.

I made the right choice. This was also a lesson about dolphins, they trainers really cared for the creatures. You get to spend an hour with them in a small group. They have 3 pools, so each set of dolphins only work once every 3 hours.

After a demonstration, we got to shake flippers, and get a kiss and foot push propelling. We also got some free time with the dolphins.

You can take in your own camera, but they do film and take pics for you to buy if you want at $20 per photo.

While you wait for the experience, you can walk round the small but interesting aquarium. They also offer the chance to go into the shark tank in a perspex tank in order to feed the sharks. However, this looked pretty lame as the sharks were not interested in the food.

Cost was $135

Address: Blvd. Kukulcán, Zona Hotelera km 12.5

Directions: Cancun - Hotel Zone

Website: http://www.aquariumcancun.com.mx/

Tourist Photo Dolphin playing

• Rivieramaya's Profile Photo

Delphinus Cash Back

by Rivieramaya Written Jul 16, 2009

Recently I bought a swimming with dolphins pass to Delphinus, but I made it via a travel agency. Doing it that way you can get 40 dollars cash back to be use in any other tour given by the travel agency where you bought the swim with dolphins ticket. This refound opens the possibility to make another adventure in a cheaper way, as swimming with the whale shark or many others. Take advantage, is a great opportunity. Dont fotget it, it name is Delphinus Cash Back.

Address: Cancun Dreams, Xcaret, Xelhá, Playa del Carmen

Directions: Cancun, Playa del Carmen

Xcaret

• Rivieramaya's Profile Photo

Swimming with dolphins: a life experience

by Rivieramaya Written Feb 9, 2009

I am a dolphin lover. Over 10 years I have been traveling around the earth with an special goal: swim with dolphins. Recently I visited Cancun and the Riviera Maya, a great place for those people who love the sea, incredible sunsets, archeological visits, nigth life, and of course, dolphins.
    There are several places to swim with dolphins around Cancun and the Riviera Maya, but I clearly remember, as one of my best of all, that incredible day in Delphinus Riviera Maya, a big natural area with fresh sea water.
    The dolphins are very well treated and the swimming programs allow people to establishe a deep comunication with these animals. Truly I got very surprised about this place. Dont miss it.

Josh.

Address: Delphinus Riviera Maya

Directions: Cancun, Riviera Maya

Delphinus Riviera Maya Delphinus Riviera Maya
    • Beaches

• lizzytex's Profile Photo

Swimming with Dolphins on Isla Mujeres

by lizzytex Written Jul 11, 2008

The only thing I can answer to is swimming with the dolphins. It is DEFINITELY worth it! I went two years ago and did it on Isla Mujeres. The animals are so amazing, and it's so much fun to actually get to touch and swim with them. I would definitely recommend it!

• swim with dolphins, Riviera Maya

by Paccifer Updated May 29, 2008

If you swam in a natural environment sure you saw seaweed or some water organism natural of course. If you swan in a piscine like interactive aquarium could be something rare about clean like mould. Because the feces go to the bottom remember all those things fall.
    I swam In Delphinus Riviera Maya was a fabulous swim in a natural environment, pool is big, this is beside Xcaret, and the programs are better, more time, small groups, friendly staff.
    I bought www.delphinusworld.com and took 10% off. Where did you swim??

Directions: Cancun, Riviera Maya, Swim with Dolphins

Phone: (998)2063304

• Swim with Delphinus

by Paccifer Written May 2, 2008

I swam with dolphins in Delphinus Riviera Maya cause I didn’t pay entrance like the parks, was a wonderful experience. It’s difficult to find dolphins swimming freely in natural surrounding, you can definitely enjoy the experience is a natural pool, isn’t a typical, they get a natural view. The activities are incredible. First they went for us at Hotel in Playa Carmen, next they introduce us about dolphins, gave us care instructions around 10 min. My group was 5 persons now we were ready to star the swim with dolphins, was amazing I can kiss them, be close to the dolphin gave me peace, we dance  and they swam so fast around us. The instructors are friendly and I can watch a pretty close friendship between dolphins & trainers. Foot-push is the best!! You have to live it!! The Delphius staff talked about the research institute for dolphin preservation and reproduction and they seem to be very professional, I learned a lot.. in fact, I watched a dolphin birth in a video they played.
    Pic are proof of the experience
    Everyone done excite, now I get a good memorial

Address: Delphinus Riviera Maya

• Women's Travel
    • Photography

• Swim with the dolphins in Isla Mujeres

by myca99 Written May 15, 2007

Of all the things I've done on vacations, this tops them all. I highly recommend it. I was surprised to learn that dolphins are playful like dogs -- if you swim off, they will chase you and they like you to chase them. The encounter is so personal, I can't imagine not being effected by it.

• happydance's Profile Photo

Dolphin Discovery was amazing!

by happydance Written Jan 31, 2007

Dolphin Discovery was amazing! I chose the Dolphin Royal Swim because it allowed me to swim with two dolphins in a very small group of eight people. The first thing they do is introduce you to the dolphins they give you kisses then dance with you! After the introductions, the instructor has people swim out in groups of two for the dolphin ride and the foot pushes. I floated in the water with my hands out, making a T formation and waited for the dolphins to take me for a ride. In just a matter of moments, I could feel their amazing skin gliding across my hands. The two dolphins took me for a ride while I held on to their fins; during the exciting foot-push maneuver, I glided across the water as they pushed me from the soles of my feet. It was fun to have the dolphins take me for a ride but my favorite part was hugging the dolphins and rubbing their backs. It was not cheep to swim with dolphins, $ 140.00 but it truly was the experience of a lifetime

Phone: 1-800-417-1736

Website: http://www.dolphindiscovery.com

• lizzytex's Profile Photo

Swim with the dolphins

by lizzytex Written Sep 1, 2006

I will admit that I've never had a huge desire to do this, but since I was with my best friend and it's something she has always wanted to do, we did it. I have to say it was a lot of fun, once you get past feeling sorry for the dolphins. But I imagine they are well loved and well cared for (as any animal can be in captivity) so off we went. This was about $99 US dollars, and we were able to do 5 or 6 "tricks" with the dolphins (kiss, shake hands, dance, hold in our arms, etc) Our dolphin was Donna, and it was so funny to watch her smile! I'm not sure if she was actually smiling, but it looked like it from time to time. The entire experience took about 2 hours, and they take plenty of pictures and video for you to buy at the end (of course!)

• rmlopez74's Profile Photo

Hanging with Flipper

by rmlopez74 Written Apr 20, 2006

Okay, it has always been a thing I wanted to do. To swim with the dolphins. Let me tell you, it is worth the $100 or so it will cost you. We booked ours through the Pargue Nizuc. It is a couple of hours. Plenty of interaction with the Dolphins. You get to do a couple of tricks with them and they even video your experience. Very cool. I recommend it completely.

It's amazing to be that close to these animals. You get a real sense for how powerful they are. Definitely gives you a new appreciation for them.

Directions: Big water park right outside the hotel zone. Can't miss it.

Website: http://www.parquenizuc.com/

Putting on a show Hanging with Flipper
    • Adventure Travel

• Kaspian's Profile Photo

Dolphin Express: Dolphins, Snorkel, & Isla Mujeres

by Kaspian Updated Apr 14, 2006

This is one of the most fun package-tours I've ever done. The Dolphin Express is a double-decker boat that travels from Cancun to Isla Mujeres. Departure time from Playa Langosta Pier is 10 a.m., and the boat returns at 4:30 p.m. The fare is about $30 and includes a continental breakfast, lunch, and drinks. You have to pay extra if you want to do the snorkel (about $20) or dolphin (about $60) options.
    From the upper-deck you enjoy a fantastic view of Cancun and Isla Mujeres amid neon-blue water.
    The boat stops at Pirate Village on Isla Mujeres where passengers wanting to swim with the dolphins, scuba, or snorkel can go their separate ways. A smaller boat took us out to the reef to snorkel. The swim was not an easy task--you're in choppy water for about 30 minutes. I suggest only people in good shape try it. I worried about some of the older people that started gagging--the boat is too far away to reach anybody struggling. Once they boat you back to the park you can have a shower, swim with the dolphins, have a drink, or lounge on the beach.
    It was a great buffet lunch where we sat in open-air palapas atop a small cliff. There were colourful parrots and little cabana shops.
    The boat then travels to downtown Isla for about a two-hour stop so you can do some shopping.
    The Dolphin Express's staff was absolutely fantastic. When it started raining on the way back--they cattled us all to the lower deck, gave us free drinks, and started playing games. They were so funny and had us laughing so hard some of us had to leave the room to regain composure.
    Your hotel will probably suggest that you do their tour and not the Dolphin Express. Hotel tours can be very amateur--they pack everyone onto a tiny catamaran and people have to cling to the hull for dear life. I've heard (and personally been on) nightmarish Isla tours.
    This package is well worth the price. It's a great tour of Isla Mujeres even if you don't snorkel or swim with the dolphins. It's a fun day and it'll leave you happy. Don't forget your swimsuit!

Address: Playa Langosta Dock, Blvd. Kukulc?n km 5