Map &

Rate it

Top Tours

Xel-Ha Park All-Inclusive Admission Ticket
From $89.00
Private Tour: Early Access to Tulum with an Archaeologist and Xel-Há or Xcaret from Playa del Carmen
From $219.00
Xel-Há All-Inclusive Day Trip from Playa del Carmen
From $119.00

Xel-Ha Tips (24)

Nice park

Rivalling with its neighbour Xcaret, this park is an absolute "must see". It doesn't have so many attractions as an amusement park, but it is gorgeous as a natural park. It is a breeding area for fish, and bathing in such a natural environment a fabulous experience. Only a few dozens kilometers far from town, it is easily reached by bus, and usually seen together with Tulum ruins.

Fernanda didn't swim, preferring to sit by the water, with a small bag to feed the fish. A big one jumped out of the water and grabbed the entire bag, with her shouting and laughing.

solopes's Profile Photo
Apr 08, 2016

Visit the Interactive Aquarium...

Visit the Interactive Aquarium in the Isla Shopping Village (Hotel Zone) and swim with dolphins, or feed a shark if you prefer. There are several places to swim with dolphins including Parque Nizuc, Isla Mujeres, XCARET, and Xel-Ha, however the overall price is better at the Aquarium considering the transportation costs and entrance fees of the other places. The aquarium is conveniently located, and you swim in cleaner water (no sand to cloud your view). We purchased a video of the experience for $30 and it was very professionally done. Don't miss out on this experience!

Apr 04, 2011

Xel-Ha / Excaret decision

Been to both several times. Although Xel- Ha is very nice ( owned by the same paople ) Xcaret has 10 times more to do and see. Xel- Ha is almost entirely water activities while Xcaret has more water activities, a zoo, an aquiriam, smaller shows during the datime, a great night show and more restaurants. Yes wait untill you get down there to book.

brkilbourne's Profile Photo
Feb 18, 2010

All inclusive (all you can eat ice-cream), beautiful location tons to do. You can snorkel all over, there is a place to sit in a tube and let the current move you from one end to the other, even in caves I beleive (I didn't have time to do this), you can cliff jump (not really high but high enough for me). You can sit on the beach or in a resturant, or it is expensive but you can swim with the dolphins. Trust me you will want a whole day here, don't split your day up between a few places (I think they do packages to Tulum on the same day, we didn't do that and we still didn't see everything).

AshleeS's Profile Photo
Apr 26, 2006
Sponsored Listings

Hotels Near Xel-Ha

Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez Km, 256-100, Mayan Riviera, Puerto Aventuras, Quintana Roo, 77710,
Playa Aventuras Akumal. Crtra. Xetumal - Cancun, Km. 251, Akumal, Riviera Maya, 77760, Mexico
Playa Aventuras Akumal, Crtra. Xetumal - Cancun, Km 249, Akumal, Riviera Maya, 77760, Mexico
Riviera Maya Km 234, Quintana Roo, (formerly Sunscape Tulum), Tulum, Quintana Roo, 77780, Mexico
Km 104 Fracc. Akumal C, Playa Jade, Carretera Cancun Tulum, Akumal, Quintana Roo, 77760, Mexico
KM 104, Carretera Cancun-Tulum, Akumal, Riviera Maya, 77760, Mexico

Heaven On Earth

Snorkeling in the main area is amazing as there are many schools of fish and turtles swimming about alongside you. It's a wildlife reserve and is very clean. If you go further up the trail, you can go cave hopping, ropeswinging and cliff diving (HIGHLY recommended). You can also rent out an inner tube and float down the lazy river all day. There is also dolphin swims for a fee. These need to be reserved a couple of days before you go.

UneBanane's Profile Photo
Nov 08, 2005

Xel Ha

Almost a two hour ride south of Cancun (we took a tour bus that we booked through our hotel). Natural Eco-Park with very good snorkeling!! Best spot we found was near the floating bridge. Saw a large sting ray, and a huge barracuda (see pic), as well as tons of other types of fish. Cenotes were closed do to Hurricane Emily. Also has a Mayan Cave, Cliff Jump, Lazy River (long and lazy), Swim With Dolphins (an extra $100 a person - we didn't do it), and Beaches to relax.
We opted for all-inclusive tickets which includes food (breakfast & lunch) and drinks (beer & frozen drinks) as well as a life jacket and snorkel gear (free snorkel to keep), towels, and a locker. There were a few different restaurants to choose from. Well worth the extra $25 a person.

PopeyeD's Profile Photo
Oct 16, 2005

Our bus drove about 15 minutes and we were in the middle of a beautiful fantansy land. There is alot to do here. We snorkled (a barracuda actually swam right past me)! Many swam with the dolphins or just relaxed by the many pools. There are alot of places to grab snacks. I highly recommend!!

amybrooke's Profile Photo
Aug 16, 2005

"Where the water is born" is what Xel Ha means

Xel Ha was the second destination on our trip to Tulum and it was one of the nicest eco parks I have ever visited. It just reminds me of being trapped in the Washington Zoo, with a sense of security and amazement. It is so unique to see the animals in their daily habitat and be part of the experience. Xel Ha is approximately 75 miles south of Cancun and within 8 miles of the ancient Mayan ruins of Tulum. Xel Ha is a natural aquarium with lots to see and do. David and I went snorkeling here and had a blast. It was the first time I had been snorkeling but with David as my teacher I caught on fast. I loved looking down in the water at all the fish and seeing the real pretty reef. I had an undescribeable sensation snorkeling here. I also got a chance to swim with the dolphins. David's mom was hilarious because when the dolphins picked her up out of the water she screamed really loud and we all laughed so hard. She was okay though. After snorkeling and swimming I would recommend taking a walk along the myriad of paths through the mangrove forests or maybe take a trip along the underground river. This was a really fun experience because the forest is just so overwhelming. Other fun things to do is to feed the fish from the floating bridge. This was just an overall great experience that was fun for all of us. We got this as a deal through the Moon Palace. I would definetly recommend that to save some money.

gipper84's Profile Photo
Jun 28, 2005
gipper84's Profile Photo

"Paradise in the Carribean"
Etoile2B's Profile Photo

"Spring Break 24/7/365"
Kaspian's Profile Photo

Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

"Cancun Condo"
GinGinCoo's Profile Photo

"Cancun, Mexico"
View Member

Xelha - nice nice nice for singles like me

I was stupid!
I found that the all-inclusive fee is US $45.81 (Internet fee) only! in its official site! though not including transportation from and to cancun hotels.
I paid USD98 in Cancun! though including transportation from and to cancun hotels.
the park is great! great for snorkelling beginner! many fishes!
i like the plant nursary tour too! very informative to me! (i know nothing about plants)
floating on the river can be very tiresome! not that relaxing! but i still like it!
food so-so.
but no time to enjoy food anyway LOL unless u don't want to do anything LOL

cchiuching's Profile Photo
May 31, 2005

The word Xel Há is a combination of Maya terms which mean " water entrance " or "where the waters are born" in reference to the geography of this place. This also wonderful park is full of things to discover and enjoy. The main attraction at Xel Há Park is precisely its cove or inlet. Because of the combination of sea water with fresh subterranean currents of sweet water, the site is a natural aquarium hosting hundreds of marine species and tropical fish. So you can't resist to spend some time under the water snorkeling.
Here you will find:
Turtle and dolphin sanctuaries
Aquatic adventures
Eco tours
Maybe at the end of the day you are gonna be wishing spend all your life in a place like this.
You have to visit it!!

patricia28's Profile Photo
May 27, 2005

One day is not enough!

Xel Ha (pronounced Shell-Haw) national park seems like the largest aquarium in the world, only you are in a natural environment and it is a park, with many other attractions. Swimming and snorkeling in the warm protected lagoons and canals offer even the novice a chance to enjoy thousands of brightly colored tropical fish. This can be combined with walking trails and even a small museum. There are parrots, dolphin shows, hammocks and music, ice cream vendors and of course - rolling beer bars. Everything you need can be rented, there is even an all inclusive entry package that includes meals and drinks along with your snorkeling gear. Xel Ha is a really great place to spend the day and is both relaxing fun for the whole family.

gabriellefox's Profile Photo
Feb 28, 2005

Relaxing and Enjoyable day!

This place is like a dream. We booked the trip from a vender at the side of the road who seemed pretty good. The trip was to include 3 hours at Talum (15mins from Xelha) and 4 hours at Xelha. He told us everything was included apart from Scuba Diving and swimming with dolphins the cost was $55 each.

It was about a 1 hour drive from Cancun and the coaches were comfortable. We decided on the way to miss out Talum and spend the full day at Xelha, meaning we had lost out on about $7 each, but not to worry.

On the way the rep explained that there were two packages for Xelha, the normal and the all inclusive. We thought we had the all inclusive but we found out we did not meaning once in Xelha we would be paying for everything!! After the rep gave us a run down of the prices we decided to go for the all inclusive and pay an extra $25 each. This brought our total cost up to $80 each, which I think was still about average comparing to other people, so we did not let it spoil our day.

All Inclusive will include your lockers, snorkeling equipment, food for day etc.
You need to give them some sort of deposit for everything you take eg hotel key, $20, credit card, so make sure you have this to hand.

There are a number of places to eat with a variety of dishes to suit most needs, although it can get busy.

The main lagoon is cool for relaxing in a rubber ring or just going for a snorkel. There are some lovely fish and nearer the forest end there are some lovely turtles and the water is alot clearer. The lagoon is accessible from many places around the park and there are also many cliff jumps.

There are loads of nice walks and make sure you get an ice cream as they are very very nice. Its really worth a visit and even though we decided to spend the full day there, we would have loved more time.

If you have a bit of spare cash ($110 approx) have a swim with the dolphins, we did and it really was a once in a life time experience and highly recommended.

Ricardo79's Profile Photo
Sep 13, 2004

Things To Do Near Xel-Ha

Things to Do

Rio de la Vida means River of Life. This is the main estuary for Xel Ha lagoon. There is a cement path way around the lagoon. At the far end from the dinning area there path leads to an arch which is...

Akumal Beach

The beach at Akumal is beautiful but more specifically, it is the water and lack of waves. Unlike other beaches around riviera maya, Akumal has a reef or barrier just off shore. You can see in the...

Mexico Kan Tours

I decided to take a trip around Latin America and started in Tulum, Mexico. The beach was amazing but I wanted other experiences besides sipping cocktails in the beach all day. A friend told me about...
Things to Do

Tulum is not too far from Cancun that you can't go or too close to be exagerated full. Tulum is located at a good distance 2hr drive from Cancun. THere's many ways to get there; by renting a car or...

Tulum Ruins

The ruins at Tulum are a must see. This place is very well preserved and maintained. Knowledgeable guides will provide valuable information along the way, Be sure not to miss the pathway down to the...

Ecopark Kantun Chi

Before the Grotto tour, we visited this small Cenote and swam in it, at the beggining we were quite suspicious and the water was very cold, but was a good preparation for the dive in the big cenotes...

Getting to Xel-Ha

Carretera Chetumal Puerto Juárez Km 240, locales 1 & 2, módulo B, 77780 Quintana Roo, Mexico

We don't yet have hours for this Things to Do. Help us improve our info!