Map &

chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Discover Scuba Diving Course in Playa del Carmen
The Discover Scuba Diving program starts at 8am. You will first get some theory introduction and then continue to the pool for training which lasts until 10:30am. You'll then take a boat trip to two different reefs where you'll do dives from 12:30pm ""Enjoy an amazing diving experience open to everybody from 10 years old and up. This course is done  in a small-group setting with a maximum of four people per instructor. You will learn the basics of scuba diving and have a great time.title=Highlights&1=Ideal+choice+for+families&2=Small+group+ensures+personal+service&3=Once-in-a-Lifetime+Experience&4=Informative%2C+friendly+and+professional+guide"""Playa del Carmen Mexico"
From $135.00

Private Fishing Trip in the Riviera Maya
"Meet your guide and crew at a central location in Playa del Carmen and receive all fishing equipment which includes some of the famous brands such as Penn Senator 114 and 115 for the reels mounted on poles 20 to 80 pounds Downriggers Outriggers and Shimano rods FX4000 at 10 to 20 pounds for our lightweight spinning or bottom fishing equipment. You'll board a private boat and sail the Riviera Maya to enjoy a wonderful fishing trip. Fresh bait and countless callers will be on request you can also snorkel and enjoy the beautiful landscapes the Caribbean sea can offer.""""Enjoy a great adventure
From $300.00

2-Tank Morning or Afternoon Dives in Playa del Carmen
"Meet your professional guide at a central location in Playa del Carmen at either 8am or 2pm (Depending on your selection). At the dive shop you can rent all necessary equipment available in all sizes and get ready for your departure 15 minutes later. You will board at a place a few steps from the shop and there is a maximum of 9 divers per tour. You will have two experienced div you'll head to your second dive at maximum depth of 15 meters (50 feet) and return to the base. The tour includes a boat ride guide drinks weights and smile on your face upon your return."""
From $79.00

Dr. Taco's Tips (3)

Dr. Taco: In search of shrimp tacos

Last visit December 2005, we didn't see it in December 2011 so I think he's closed up shop

We didn't see our first choice for shrimp tacos, La Floresta, as we were driving down the highway (not sure it's still there) and our second choice, El Oasis, which was recommended on the playadelcarmeninfo.com website was closed for renovation so we asked the guys at the Policia stand on 5th Avenue where to go and they sent us to Dr. Taco.

Dr. Taco is a hip open air eatery, with reggae music playing, frequented by some pretty funky looking folks. There are a few booths to sit at and also a bar area next to the grill which is where we sat to watch our food being prepared.

On our second visit, the doctor/owner was in the house helping to serve up and prepare the food. According to the playadelcarmeninfo.com website Dr. Taco really is a doctor who came from Guadalajara where he ran a medical clinic.

Here's a review with some more pictures

Favorite Dish Shrimp tacos were made with breaded and deep fried shrimp with a large array of sauces and salsas to put on them. The staff warned us away from the really hot sauces on both visits. An order of 3 shrimp tacos was 33 pesos (about $3US) and was pretty darn tasty. On the second visit I also tried the calamari taco but preferred the shrimp tacos.

December 2005 update-we stopped here again on our recent trip and the shrimp tacos are still yummy! We also tried a chicken quesadilla which was very tasty.

Dabs's Profile Photo
Dabs
Dec 18, 2011

Dr. Taco: Tacolicious!

We were lucky enough that our friend Kaspian was in Playa at the same time and showed us alot places. When we booked the hotel, his first comment was "You realize you're staying next to one of the best taco stands in Playa"? And he was right!

Dr Taco was cheap, fast and delicious!

Favorite Dish I tried one of each taco. I loved them all!

hotsauce28
Feb 28, 2008

Easy to eat

Since I don't have lots photos of the restaurants, let me just rattle off a few good bets. I don't think I ever had a bad meal in Playa del Carmen. Guacamole was good in every resturant, so was the ceveche and the shrimp.

Even the resturants at Chichen Itza, Xel Ha and Xcaret, which are all tourist attractions were excellent! Stick with Mexican or Mayan food and you'll do great!

Sabor on 5th. Great shrimp in garlic for a great price.

Blue Lobster, just off 5th, you'll pay for it, but 37.50 for a seafood platter for two is great. Two lobster tails, two different fish filets, shrimp, incredible calamari..worth every penny. Skip the lobster bisque, it's more like gravy.

Ajue Lobster, just off 5th. Great food, great presentation, incredible mixed ceviche. Expensive by Mexico standards but worth it. One night everything was perfect, the other night was less than perfect yet still good. Friendly waiters who will torture you (in a good way) with magic and puzzles after dinner.

Yax Che, just off 5th. Mayan food! I found out that I am not a huge fan of Mayan food,(except for Mayan pork tacos...yum!!) but everyone else RAVES about this resturant, Ask to sit in the garden. incredible drinks! Incredible Mayan food. They use a leaf called Chaya in their food, (and in some of their drinks) which I am not a fan of, but if you are adventurous try it!

2003 update. We Revisited Yax Che for Lobster and these WERE HUGE. They have a price tag to go along with it at 39 dollars each. They came grilled with grilled pineapple..not what i wanted but no complaints. Asked for a bit of drawn butter and it was wonderful. They also serve you a complimentary after dinner shot of a mayan liquer and kahlua...wonderful! EXCELLENT service.

whitneyone's Profile Photo