Map &

chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Grand Canyon Landmarks Tour by Airplane
"Set off from Grand Canyon National Park Airport on your morning or afternoon airplane tour of Grand Canyon landmarks. As you ride aboard a comfortable Vistaliner plane with panoramic windows listen to narration about the geologic forces that helped create the dramatic canyon and surrounding terrain and the various peoples who have lived there. Keep your camera ready as you fly over Zuni Point — one of the few lookouts on the South Ri a popular vista point on the South Rim and glimpse the gorgeous colors of the Painted Desert in the distance. See the remote North Rim including its highest viewpoint Point Imperial. Admire the Kaibab Plateau and dense greenery of the Kaibab National Forest before returning to Grand Canyon National Park Airport at the conclusion of your 40-minute aerial tour."""
From $150.00

H1 Hummer Adventure from Phoenix
"There’s a reason that the U.S. Army outfits its fleets with Humvees: They’re bold they’re versatile and they’re badass. The M998 Humvee is military-grade only but the Hummer H1 is the closest a civilian can get. This off-road vehicle is perfect for the rough-and-tumble tourist who prefers an up close and personal experience. Mud dirt water rocks—it’s all the same for the Hummer H1. Coast along desert trails high above the ground
From $163.00

Grand Canyon Helicopter and Ground Tour From Phoenix
"After being picked up by luxury van from the Phoenix metro area your first stop is the famous Red Rocks of Sedona. During the brief stop you can stretch your legs take photos of the Red Rocks while your guide will pick up your lunch at a Sedona restaurant to take as a picnic to the Grand Canyon. Continuing on your scenic drive though Oak Creek Canyon one of the USA's most scenic drives you'll experience dramatic elevation changes as you wind through 2000 vertical feet (600 meters) of red walled canyon before emerging into a ponderosa forest. Once at the Grand Canyon South Rim board a state-of-the-art helicopter for a 50-minute flight over the Grand Canyon. You’ll fly towards the eastern end of the canyon following the Colorado River
From $400.00

Pima Air and Space Museum Tips (42)

Davis-Monthan Air Force Base "Aircraft Boneyard"

Access restricted with proper ID. Reservations suggested. 9 a.m.–5 p.m. Mon.–Fri. excluding federal holidays. View from Kolb Rd.

For AMARG tours, call Pima Air & Space Museum. You can get onto a bus from here if you have proper I.D.

This drive will take you by the AMARG (Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Group).

They will let you take photo's, but they do let you get off the bus. They had way to much trouble of folks trying to taking pieces of the aircraft as souvenirs. Still it was very interesting to see so much stored.

Nov 22, 2015

Foreign Aircraft

There were also aircraft from other countries on display. Here you see two British Aircraft and some Russian Migs that were exported to other countries. I do not know the nomencalture for the first aircraft can one of our British friends help me with that?

Info from a fellow VTer (thanks!): The RAF plane you mention is an Royal Air Force Avro Shackleton ,built by Avro at Chadderton, Lancashire and delivered to the RAF on June 26, 1953 as a MR.2 maritime reconnaissance aircraft

Jun 08, 2013

PIMA Air & Space Museum ~ Flying High

Being that most of my family loves history in general and particularly WWII military history, visiting the PIMA Air & Space Museum was a "must do" because it included the famous "Boneyard." This museum is the largest non-government funded aviation Museum in the world and houses some of the "most historically significant and technically advanced craft ever produced."

The more I saw, the more I was engrossed with the exhibits in this museum. We toured 3 Hangars with a most excellent volunteer guide, Mr. Rick Felker. Mr. Felker, was in a word, superb!! With his own background as a military pilot, his knowledge of aviation in general and his likable personality, he made the history of these planes really come to life!! I had the feeling I could listen to him for hours.

There were some early planes, and specialty planes on display (i.e., the "Bumble Bee"; and the worlds smallest jet which had been used in a James Bond movie), but my personal favorites were WWII planes & one newer plane, i.e. Blackbird, Superfortress and the P-51 Mustang.

I really enjoyed this museum with its widely varied historic planes housed in museum-quality aircraft hangars, the vast number of planes on display on the tarmac, and its excellent Arizona Aviation Hall of Fame section. Among the honored were Senator John McCain and the late Senator Barry Goldwater.

For a little extra fun, we paid an additional $5 per person to take a "ride" in the Flight Simulator located in Hangar 1 North. Though the simulator could hold up to 7 persons, there were only the 4 of us on the ride. Our "flight" simulated a take off from a Navy Carrier with a hunt & kill mission while flying in desert canyons. It went way too fast!

Open: daily 9 am - 5 pm; last admission is 4pm!!

(2009 Prices)

starship's Profile Photo
starship
Apr 15, 2013

Pima Air and Space Museum

My daughter and I finally decide to take a tour of the air and space museum, which is literally seven miles away from where we live. On my way to work, I go past Davis Monthan air force base, which has an interesting display of air force airplanes. But for matters of security you are not allowed to just stop by and start a photo shoot. Having been fascinated by the navy and air force for the longest time, this did not come as a fresh idea, but was extremely exciting. The Pima Air & Space Museum is located at 6000 East Valencia Road, Tucson, AZ 85706. In this facility you will find the following: 1) Pima Air & Space Museum, and 2) The Challenger Learning Center of the Southwest. It is fascinating how reliant the world has become on aircraft transportation. I think that this phenomenal connection to the rest of the world is one of man's most inspiring inventions. Through the years we have seen air transportation evolve to unlimited heights. At the Tucson Air & Space Museum, visitors are fascinated by the rich history of aviation and aerospace. My daughter and I were like little children running around from one plane to another, some were so small they looked like child toys, lol!

By the way, the Tucson Air & Space Museum is the largest aviation and space Museum in the west. It covers approximately eighty acres of land with over two hundred and fifty (250) different aircrafts. One of the most exciting moments for us was entering air force one: President Kennedy's Air Force One and the SR-71 Blackbird which is a spy plane. We managed to go to all of the 4 hangars where there is showcase of some of the more rare aircrafts that highlight the achievements in aviation history, it is incredible you just have to see to experience the awe.

THE CHALLENGER LEARNING CENTER: We did not spend much time in here because my daughter was excited about running from one aircraft to another, however the center offers visitors and resident families innovative programs that simulate real space missions. It was founded by families of astronauts from the Challenger Space Shuttle mission 51-L that is why it is called the Challenger center in case you were wondering. My daughter decided that she wanted to be an astronaut because she wanted me to pay for her to go in to the simulators, heheeeeee. Funny how children think huh?

The museum also houses the DOROTHY FINLEY SPACE EXPLORATORIUM & ARIZONA AVIATION HALL OF FAME: You will be pleasantly surprised when you visit this hall. There is a guided tour, which we did not buy, tickets for because this was something we did spontaneously. However you can buy tickets and go on a guided tour which is more informative and less tiring as running around an 80 acre lot, hahaaa!

THE 390TH MEMORIAL MUSEUM: There is a self-guided tour of the B-17, 390th Memorial in honor of those braves who lost their lives. The names are individually engraved on a monument in the hall in commemoration of the fallen. It was such a nostalgic feeling as I went through the names of all those who lost their lives.

Tickets are very reasonably priced. Adults enter for $13.00, children above 6 $9.00 and senior citizens/ military $10.75. Children 6 and below enter free. You can pre-book the tram tour and get more information than you would if you take a self-walking tour. There is also a WW11 aircraft exhibit in Hangars three and four. For more information or reservations you can call directly or better yet reserve a visit online by going to their website at

www.pimaair.org. I think we might just go to the TITAN MISSILE MUSEUM, I hear the underground Missile Complex tour is something not to miss.

Africancrab's Profile Photo

4850 South Hotel Drive, Tucson, Arizona, 85714, United States
8701 S. Kolb Road, Tucson, Arizona, 85706, United States
4855 South Palo Verde, Tucson, Arizona, 85714, United States
Hotels
4950 S Outlet Center Dr, I-10W at Exit 264 I-10E at Exit 264B, Tucson, Arizona, 85706, United States
6575 South Country Club Road, Tucson, Arizona, 85706, United States

Pima Air & Space Museum

From the alien surface of Mars and the vast reaches of space to its modern beginnings in the Wright Brothers' triumph of flight, over 100 years of Aerospace history and 300 aircraft on 80 acres can be explored at the Pima Air & Space Museum. This is a very impressive museum. It consist of many buildings and they also of a tour on a tram that will take you through the whole park. Very well worth your time if your a aircraft buff. It has to be one of the best ones we have seen.

$15.50/adults,
$12.75/AAA, seniors, military,
$9/chidren 7-12, 6 and under free.
9 a.m.-5 p.m. with last admission at 4 p.m. Allow 2-4 hours

Oct 10, 2011

BONEYARD TOUR - AMARC

To tour this facility, you need to take the extra tour offered at the Pima Air-Space Museum - for extra fee and you will need a photo ID. The tour takes you over the AMARC facility - Aeorspace Maintenance and Regeneration Facility - which is where planes from all branches of the Federal government are brought when they are deemed superfluous to the need. Row upon row of fighters, trainers, bombers, tankers and many other types can be seen ‘sleeping’ in the desert sand. The planes are given coverings over opening and cockpits to help protect from blowing sand and sun, but otherwise they are just sitting outside as a piece of aviation history on display. Many of the planes can be put back into service. Others are simply a repository for spare parts for planes still on active duty.

mtncorg's Profile Photo
mtncorg
Apr 04, 2011

Pima Air and Space Museum

I wouldn’t say either one of us are particularly into airplanes, especially me, but what had been planned to be a half day visit turned into a whole day visit, and even at that we ran out of time and missed seeing hanger 3 and had to rush to get through some of the others. This was due to us taking too long when looking at the planes outside. We would go back again, just to spend more time in the hangers, each hanger being laid out as a museum. Luckily you can purchase lunch on the premises. There are over 250 planes on display. This Air and space Museum is the largest privately funded aerospace museum in the world, being funded by gate receipts, gift shop sales, donations, and memberships. We viewed a full sized replica of the 1903 Wright Brother’s flyer, and walked through the DC-6 plane used by Presidents John F. Kennedy and Lyndon B. Johnson. We also enjoyed the SR-71 Blackbird, which was sleek and flat and looked very aerodynamic. There were so many planes we found interesting that I couldn’t list them all. For photos of a few of my favorites see my travelogue, “Pima Air and Space Museum.” We also took their Morphis Movieride Theater, which cost $3.00 extra and only lasted for 5 minutes. You are enclosed inside a pod and the pod moved with the flying planes to simulate flying. It was fun, but I thought quite expensive for 5 minutes. The museum is open daily from 9 to 5 except Dec. 25 and Thanksgiving with the last admittance at 4:00, but then you wouldn’t have time to hardly even start viewing this museum if you waited until 4:00! In 2001 the admission was $7.50 for adults, $6.50 for US military with ID and those over age 62. Ages 10 – 17 was $4.

KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo
KimberlyAnn
Apr 04, 2011

Pima Air and Space Museum

Tucson is famous for its boneyard of stored planes. As such its not surprising they have been able to siphon off a collection of those planes for this musuem. the museum has a large collection but not much modern or historically signifincant planes.

Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
Jim_Eliason
Mar 27, 2011

"Basaic Tucson Page"
matcrazy1's Profile Photo

matcrazy1

"Capitol of southern Arizona"

"~Tucson ~"
lamentforicarus's Profile Photo

lamentforicarus

"A Modern City in the Old Pueblo"
bocmaxima's Profile Photo

bocmaxima

"a great place to visit, a quirky place to live"

Fighters

Of course the highlight for many people are the fighters. These are the planes you see in movies like "Top Gun" and are considered the "sexiest" aircraft. One of my favorites as a kid was the F-104 Starfighter.

Bombers

There are several bombers on display. One of my favorites when I was a kid was the B58 Hustler (Photo 1). Photo 2 is the famous B52; and Photo 3 is the BF111 which was used as a light bomber and a fighter.

Presidents and NASA

There are lots of aircraft on display outside the hangars too. They have at least two presidential aircraft. Most people mistakenly believe the aircraft is called Air Force 1. Actually that designation is used only when the US President is on board. At other times the aircraft uses its assigned call designation. It is interesting to note that because of that ruling "Air Force 1" took off one more time than it landed; because when Nixon resigned he took off in the plane as president and landed as just a plain citizen. The plane used by President Kennedy is open for tours. Another very interesting plane is the one used by NASA. I think I recall this being called "The Pregnant Guppy". It is different looking.

Space Display: Current Exploration

Currently we are exploring how to survive in space for longer peiods of time and trying to learn more about our nearest neighbor Mars.

Photo 1 is the International Space Station. Photo 2 is the Mars Exploration Rover; two of these landed on Mars and far exceeded the planned parameters for their mission. Photo 3 is of the Mars Odyssey Orbiter. This orbiter has collected volumes of information about Mars including strong evidence of the existence of water ice on the planet. water ice would be required for life as we know it to form. Photo 4 is the Mars Polar Lander. and Photo 5 is the Phoenix Mars Probe. It exceeded its 3 month mission by surviving 5 months on the Martian Northern Plains and has sent back tons of data. Way to go Arizona!!!

Apr 09, 2009

Things to Do Near Pima Air and Space Museum

Botanical Gardens

Gardens are nice but negative experience with using Groupon coupon. Paid in full in advance $8 to Groupon for admission for two at TUCSON BOTANICAL GARDEN. Receptionist still tried to charge entrance...

Kitt Peak Observatory

I decided to drive up to Kitt Peak today after work, normally I have my little pink Sony Camera in my hand bag, in case I see something interesting or eventful. So anyways, I have no photos for this...

Arizona State Museum - ASM

This museum has an extraordinary collection of ceramic works and pottery from Ancestral Pueblan times up to the 21st century produced by Native Americans in Arizona.I spent several hours on a very hot...

St. Augustine Cathedral

St. Augustine Cathedral is located downtown Tucson on Stone Avenue. It is a magnificent sandstone facade structure built in the 1800s. The style is modeled after the cathedral of Queretaro in Mexico,...

Center for Creative Photography

Contemporary art is at the very heart of new artist development in this day and era. The University of Arizona in Tucson is a place where the internationally respected contemporary gallery and art...

University of Arizona Museum of Art

Last summer on a very hot late June day,I had the privilege of enjoying this fine art museum.I appreciated its fine collection of Late Medieval and Renaissance period paintings with devotional themes...

Getting to Pima Air and Space Museum

Address

We don't yet have an address for this Things to Do. Help us improve our info!

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Things to Do. Help us improve our info!

Map