El Cajon Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in El Cajon

Ali Baba: Middle East Cuisine is popular in El Cajon

by lmkluque Updated Nov 23, 2015

There is a large population of Chaldeans living in El Cajon and for this reason you'll find really good middle Eastern restaurants to choose from.

It almost seemed that we were in a Bedouin tent when we walked in. A sign near the cash register stated. "Halal Food Only." (Which means that it is prepared in the allowed way.)

My first choice was the Ali Baba. After lunch one day we stopped there for dessert. It was a hot day and though there were fans there was no air conditioner working. Still it wasn't too warm and we had a good time talking about the variations of the recipes between Lebanese and Iraqi cuisines, with the waitress.

Favorite Dish: At first we ordered a small Tabbouli salad, Humus and Labneh with a huge round of bread, The flavour was just right! I should mention that Labneh was not on the menu but they gave it to me anyway. So nice of them.

Finally we ordered our dessert. Baklava and the other, I can't remember the name was made of custard covered in toasted coconut. The Baklava was made of pecans, I'm used to walnuts, but it was good anyway and I would order it again. In fact, I did order it the next few times we stopped there.

The lamb kebabs were good as was the Chicken Tekka. Other items I haven't tried, but they smelled delicious as the waitress passed by to the other tables.

Address: 421 E Main St., El Cajon, CA 92020

Directions: At Avocado Avenue

Phone: (619) 442-3622

Website: http://www.alibaba421el.com/

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

Hacienda Casa Blanca: A Charming Place to Eat.

by lmkluque Written Nov 23, 2015

My Friend lives in El Cajon but she still leaves it up to me to choose the restaurants when we go out to lunch. The Hacienda Casa Blanca was the first I picked after checking out what is offered in El Cajon--not my usual stomping grounds.

It seemed a safe bet as we both like Mexican and this one's website made it sound casual, nice and charming. We went and it was all of those things.

There were several "rooms" so each seating area seemed cosy and private. Oh yes and colourful like a fiesta!!

Adding to the party atmosphere was our handsome waiter who was fun and accommodating.

Favorite Dish: The first test of a good Mexican restaurant is the flavour of their Margaritas. The Hacienda passed with flying colors. The second test is the texture and flavour of the frijoles. Yumm! On top of passing these tests, I learned that the Chile Relleno was made with fire-roasted Pasilla Chile! Perfect for me.

My friend ordered the Chimichanga plate and she too was happy with her meal.

Address: 700 N Johnson Ave, El Cajon, CA 92020

Directions: At Arnele Avenue

Phone: (619) 442-9827

Website: http://www.haciendacasablanca.com/

Hooley's Irish Pub & Grill: Quiet During Lunch

by lmkluque Updated Nov 23, 2015

Again I was assigned the duty of choosing a lunch place. This time I went the "Pub-Brewery" route. Irish especially because my friend is Irish. Another winner. This opened onto a sort of lobby and depending the direction we turned we'd end up at the bar or one of the various dining rooms. Another cosy place to enjoy a meal.

The lobby area had one of those big vats with gauges sticking out for making beer. Or so I thought. When I asked they said no beer is made on the premises. It was just for "looks."

Favorite Dish: The server was helpful while we decided what we wanted. My friend chose the Shepard's Pie with steamed vegetables and I chose the Cobb Salad with French Onion Soup. The Server suggested Craic's Combo Platter to start. It was a meal in itself so we had extra to take home for dinner. The Combo Platter had Hot wings, jalapeno poppers, fried calamari, Dublin skins and onion rings. All very tasty.

I had a glass of white wine.

Address: 2955 Jamacha Road, El Cajon

Directions: Off Campo Road. Rancho San Diego Towne Center

Phone: (619) 670-7468

Website: http://www.hooleys.com/

Now, "The Taste": Was: The Taste of Italy

by lmkluque Written Nov 23, 2015

The first time we came to this restaurant it was for dessert and it was named, "The Taste of Italy." We had espresso and cannoli both very well made. The décor was earth tones and there was a huge selection of wines.

Later we decided to have a meal here, but by the time we arrived for lunch they had changed the name to "The Taste." Since we had arrived early we were alone with the waiter so had his full attention. I noticed that the menu had changed as well as the name and it seemed to offer more of a Mediterranean flare than strictly Italian. The décor and large wine list stayed and many of the favourite dishes. They will even make something that was on the other menu to keep the regulars happy.

This is an up-scale, casual place with excellent food at decent prices.

Favorite Dish: When we returned we ordered Sauteed Mushrooms to start. very creamy and flavorful. I had a Greek Salad and Penne A La Vodka. My friend ordered Cheese Tortellini with a Pesto Alfredo sauce that was delicious. Of course we had dessert a Cannoli and this time we added a "Crazy fried Banana" to share. That was the best! Very rich and though we split it between us we had to take some home.

Address: 2512 Jamacha Road #602, El Cajon, CA 920

Directions: Near Willow Glen Dr. Rancho San Diego Shopping Mall

Phone: (619) 660-6300

Website: http://www.tasteofitalyrsd.com/

Downtown Cafe Bar & Grill: A Favorite Hang-Out

by lmkluque Updated Nov 24, 2015

Downtown Café is located on a busy corner of Main Street and Sulzfeld Way. They have two huge outdoor dining options, Just outside the restaurant along the street and in an enclosed court yard. There are several indoor dining sections and because it was a hot day we chose a table in the bar area.

Dining along the street can be very interesting especially on those days that an event, such as the "Car Show" is being held. The restaurant is so large that even on event days there will be room enough for one more.

Favorite Dish: I don't drink beer but here they offer flights for those interested.

The menu is a combination of "pub-grub" & Mexican.

The Bloody Mary didn't make it long enough to have it's picture taken when it was freshly delivered. It was well made and hit the spot. I also ordered the French Onion soup with bread & cheese on the side and a BLT with Avocado and a small salad. My friend had the Turkey sandwich. Our food was good and the service was friendly.

I would return to this restaurant again, but next time with a big group who like to relax and have a great time.

Address: 182 E Main St, El Cajon, CA 92020

Directions: At Sulzfeld Way

Phone: (619) 440-5687

Website: http://www.downtowncafe-ec.com/home.html

A delicious Bloody Mary!
    • Beer Tasting

• Ed_G's Profile Photo

COLD MOUNTAIN CREAMERY: So many choices !!!

by Ed_G Updated Apr 4, 2011

A special treat is in store for you when you stop by Cold Mountain Creamery !! This new frozen desert eatery is just the spot to be on a hot afternoon or a warm summer evening or any other day for that matter.
    Owner, David, started Cold Mountain Creamery recently. It's tucked away in a little shopping plaza just off the freeway exit of 2nd Avenue in El Cajon.
    I counted more than 10 flavors of Yogurt on the menu board, not to mention the Italian Gelato and freshly made ice cream in so many unique flavors.
    Not in the mood for the cold stuff? How about a selection from the hot dish menu. I was there for some cold sweet stuff on my most recent visit, but looking at the hot menu, I will certainly be going back for a selection from the that menu as well.
    The Cold Mountain Creamery has a frequent buyers card. Buy, 8 items all at once or on numerous visits, get your card stamped, and receive a small Gelato or yogurt FREE. With as many flavors as "Cold Mountain" has, it won't be long before I will be collecting my freebie.

Yummm!!!

Favorite Dish: My most recent visit I used a 2 for 1 coupon from the Penny $aver and bought a 16 oz. size dropped into a larger container and filled to the top with Eskimo pie Vanilla (mmm so creamy!) and fudge brownie chocolate mixture (1/2-1/2), and a second (free) choice of Vanilla Malt and Peanut Butter mixture. Both were excellent!!
    If Owner David is there, tell him "Hi" and that you saw his new place recommended in Virtual Tourist. He's not shy to talk to you. A really pleasant and proud owner!

Address: 536 North Second Avenue, El Cajon, Ca. 92021

Directions: Take I-8 to El Cajon's 2nd Ave. exit. Turn South-travel 1 blk to Monroe Ave. turn right(west) (gas station on corner)to the nest drive way, and it's located 3rd door down from Wing's N Things.

Phone: 619-44-CREAM (619-442-7326)

• Ed_G's Profile Photo

The Yogurt Mill: Mounds of Yummy yogurt flavors

by Ed_G Updated Mar 18, 2006

The Yogurt Mill has quite an interesting story behind it. It once was an Italian Restaurant built to mimick the Leaning Tower of Pisa (It really does have a lean to the building). Though the years and change of a few owners, it has become one of East County'S most popular landmarks. I don't say that lightly, either. Even on cold and rainy days, The Yogurt Mill has a line out the door and most of the time wrapping around the front of the building.
    The summer time is, of course, the busiest time, but the service is fast and, if you choose to stay and eat your creamey frozen delite, the dining area (about 10 cafe size tables) is air conditioned. Take a few minutes while spooning into your heavenly desert, and read the newspaper article about it's history on the wall to the left of the serving area.
    It's not uncommon to chat with the locals waiting in line. The service is fast and friendly.
    Typically, there are 3 or 4 flavors that are on the daily flavor list of 10 or more flavors ranging form tangy peach, decadent chocolate, banana, or mint irish cream. Most are low fat, no fat, or no sugar flavors. The portions are incredible! They range from a childs portion($2.75) in about a 6 ounce cup to a EXTRA LARGE (about $5.00 +/-) which is in about a 44 ounce cup. If you mention yould like your selection "DROPPED", they'll put your smaller portion into a bigger cup and fill it up to the top for the smaller price.
    If you have a weekly "PennySaver Coupon$aver from the local junk mail, they have a 2 for 1 coupon in it every week. If you're not from east county go online at :
    and print one up before you go. Call ahead for flavors. They don't mind answering questions.

Favorite Dish: I love trying the seasonal and fruity flavors...lemon, watermelon, mint irish cream, and all the chocolates. It's fun to mix em up too. You can get up to 3 different flavors in one cup! YUUUMMMM !

Address: 935 Broadway, El Cajon, Ca.

Directions: Take I-8 to El Cajon. Exit Mollison and dire north to Broadway. Turn right onto Broadway. The Yogurt Mill is a half block from the intersection on the right. You can't miss it. It's the tallest LEANING TOWER in the area.

Phone: 619-579-1566

Website: http://www.adpark.com/tlcb/yogurt.htm

2for1coupon in Penny Saver or online (see above)

Instant Answers: El Cajon

Comments

El Cajon Restaurants

Reviews and photos of El Cajon restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for El Cajon sightseeing.