Map &

Been here?
Rate it

Top Tours

Los Angeles Sightseeing Tour by Helicopter with Mountaintop Landing and Champagne Toast
From $299.00
Hollywood Sign Tour BMW M-sport Convertible
From $189.00
Private Tour: Los Angeles Helicopter Ride with Rooftop Landing
From $400.00

Hollywood Sign Tips (34)

Don't Go to Hollwyood Sign at Night

The Sign is not lit up and you cannot take photos of it at night. During the day, the best place to see it is Griffith Park Observatory or Beachwood Drive. AVOID Barham Blvd/Lake Hollywood Dr. as it routes you around the back of a reservoir with a rusted ugly barbed wire fence the whole way--that sucked because we could not see the sign at all for most of the drive. Sadly, many tourists just follow their GPS and get routed around by this ugly fence, totally missing out (drive down the 101 to highland, take Franklin to Beachwood Canyon and you will see the sign the whole way up).

Nov 19, 2011

How to get to the Hollywood sign.

Wanna take a pic like the one I did here?

Here's how! Get a GPS or use Google Maps to find Canyon Drive. What you do is go to the end of Canyon Drive in Hollywood (off of fountain). Follow Canyon drive all the way to where it ends. There will be a few parking lots there. Once parked, just follow the main wide trail. It rises from canyon floor hugging the canyon walls. It twists and turns for a long time. There's a point where the trail ends after an hour or so onto a paved road. Make a left on that paved road. Walk all the way up that road which is also very twisty. Eventually you'll get to the sign. It's a somewhat long hike but if you see a lot of horse dung, you're on the right path. There's a fence around the sign as you can see from my pic. There are cameras and sensors everywhere. You can hear them beep and whiz. There are plenty of instructions on the internet about how to jump the sign or how you can try to slide under it in certain sections. I don't know why they even say that because 200 feet to the west of the sign, the fence just ends and you can just simply walk around it! Right before we got there, someone got arrested for going too close to the sign. We saw a helicopter come and there was a cop at the bottom of the hill waiting for them! They seem to take trespassing too close to the sign very seriously. We were going to do it but once we saw that, we decided not to.

mingomatic's Profile Photo
Mar 03, 2010

Hollywood sign

Ok, in reallity the sign is just nine white letters spelling out the name of a town but this town is Hollowood and the sign is an international symbol that can be recognised all over the world because of the movie industry. This industry was huge since the beginning of 20th century and the sign originally was Hollywoodland. It was erected in 1923 just as an advertsment of the new house develpment of the hill around Hollywood area. It almost collapsed the next years until 1949 when the four last letters removed and the others got repaired. The letters are 15 meters tall and 140 long first to last one.

You cant really get close to it, I think it’s forbiden anyway to go hiking there and there 24 hour security camera. But you dont have to touch the sign, you can just take nice photos from many different spots. At Hollywood & Highland Center you can find a good one (we were there after sunset though) but also from the street level or up from Griffith Park (pics 1-2, the colors aint good due to bad light conditions).

mindcrime's Profile Photo
Feb 03, 2010

The Hollywood Sign you can see on the southern side of Mount Lee. It was originally an advertisement and read "Hollywoodland," but later the "land" has been removed. It measures about 140 metres long and 14 metres tall. A direct access is not allowed some years ago, warning signs are at every streets leading to it. However, you can see it from all over the town. I think it is not a real sight-seeing, only a photo evidence (if you need!?) about your trip and nothing else, but most of the people love it.

csordila's Profile Photo
Jan 08, 2009
Sponsored Listings

Hotels Near Hollywood Sign

3241 Cahuenga Boulevard, Los Angeles, California, 90068, United States
2011 North Highland Ave., Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, 90068, United States
2005 North Highland Avenue, (Formerly Holiday Inn), Los Angeles, California, 90068, United States
1822 North Cahuenga Blvd, Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, 90028, United States
6358 Yucca Street, Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, 90028, United States
1717 Vine Street, 90028

Hollywood Sign

The Hollywood Sign: It’s more than just nine white letters spelling out a city’s name; it’s one of the world’s most evocative symbols – a universal metaphor for ambition, success, glamour …for this dazzling place, industry and dream we call H-O-L-L-Y-W-O-O-D.

apbeaches's Profile Photo
Jul 16, 2008

Hollywood Sign

Just one of those things you have to do when your in Hollywood, get your picture with THE sign. This photo was taken when we were on a Star's Homes bus tour. It was the closest we got but I'm sure there are much better spots to take the photo from.

Sep 08, 2007

HollyWood Sign ... good view.

Ok so someone posted maybe already ... but I found a great place to view the sign.

It's Griffiths PArk up near the observatory.

We drove up and it was a hazy day but a little play in Photoshop and it came out ok.

Lensmeister's Profile Photo
Jul 20, 2007

You're in Hollywood!

The famous Hollywood Sign originally read "Hollywoodland". It was erected in 1923 to advertise a new housing development in the hills above Hollywood. For several years, the sign was left to deteriorate. In 1949, the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce stepped in and offered to remove the last four letters and repair the rest.

It's located near the top of Mount Lee. From the narrow and curvy streets in the hills you can get a glimpse at it, though we had a hard time to fin the best location to cath a shot of it I managed to get it!

tere1's Profile Photo
Sep 12, 2006

Top 5 Los Angeles Writers

Yaqui's Profile Photo

""El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles""
marinarena's Profile Photo

"Getting at the Heart of L.A."
GracesTrips's Profile Photo

"Coming to LA, see what all of SoCal has to offer!"
Dabs's Profile Photo

"Los Angeles"
Erin74's Profile Photo

"My Hometown: Los Angeles"

From a Distance

One of the things on my "must do" list when visiting LA was to see the Hollywood sign. I had visions of standing in direct view of it and having my pic taken, but it wasn't like that at all. It seems that the Hollywood sign is not easy to take close up pics of - in other words, it's hard enough to get close to it.

We climbed up several flights of stairs of a shopping centre near the Kodak building on the Walk of Fame and took our pics from there. The sign was so far away that it didn't come out in some of the pics.

Still, I saw it!

next time I visit LA I'm going to get a taxi driver to drive me as close as he can to the sign - hopefully it will be closer than I was this time.

SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo
Jun 18, 2006

The Obligatory Picture

Yes, when we drove around Los Angeles, we spent some time riding around Beverly Hills, including a trip up Rodeo Drive where we DIDN'T shop for luxury goods. Most of the time, we were just looking for La Brea Tarpits, which was mismarked on our map. But we did see the Hollywood Sign, so we took the obligatory picture.

AKtravelers's Profile Photo

Bear right at Mulholland Hwy - go 0.5 mi
Bear left at Mt Lee Dr - go 0.8 mi

Apr 03, 2006

Get your perfect pic

To get a good unobstructed photo of the Hollywood sign, go to the Hollywood & Highland Center and take your pic from the higher levels of the center.

Whilst you're there, you could also indulge in a bit of shopping and eating.

Also, the Kodak Theater (where the Oscars are held) is just next door.

UKDaisy's Profile Photo
Feb 21, 2006

Things To Do Near Hollywood Sign

Hollywood Sign

Designed by Thomas Goff and built for H.J. Whitley in 1923 a land developer who was advertising Whitley Heights, spelled it Hollywoodland. It was originally 30 feet wide and 50 feet high and consisted...

Hollywood Bowl

The best outdoor venue in Los Angeles! We have had the privilege of attending quite a few performances at the Hollywood Bowl. During the Bowl's regular concert series, they will allow you to bring...

Hollywood Bowl

*If you have any opportunity to see a concert at the Hollywood Bowl, you should! One of the very few venues that allow you to picnic on there grounds and bring your own food and drink. If you are...

Griffith Park Observatory

There is more to Griffith Park than the observatory. Long before I moved to California, I read about the Griffith Park observatory and planned some day to go there. I had in mind a building on top of...

Griffith Observatory

The best of all Hollywood, we left it for Sunday and we visited in our little tour around with Hans, Lori and Sharon. From here on a clear day, you can have great views of Los Angeles and the...

Capitol Records Tower

The Capitol Records building is one of the most distinctive landmarks in Hollywood. The 13-story earthquake resistant tower, designed by Welton Becket, was the world's first circular office building,...

Getting to Hollywood Sign

We don't yet have an address for this Things to Do. Help us improve our info!

We don't yet have hours for this Things to Do. Help us improve our info!