Map &

chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Maritime Museum of San Diego Admission
"The Maritime Museum of San Diego is housed in one of the finest collection of historic ships in the world. The iconic and majestic Star of India is docked in downtown San Diego on the beautiful waterfront and is the main attraction at the museum. The mus an American research submarine the USS Dolphin and the HMS Surprise (star of Master and Commander and Pirates of the Caribbean 4) just to name a few.The museum is kid friendly and encourages hands on experiences for families. Many of our ships go sailing whale watching or just cruise around the bay. Occasionally you may witness a pirate or two wandering around who just might help put a smile on your child’s face.The museum also contains a world renowned research library as well as a retail shop with lots of souvenirs historic and academic books or memorabilia for sale. The museum is a great place to watch July 4 fireworks
From $16.00

San Diego Maritime Museum and USS Midway Bay Cruise
"The cruise leaves Harbor Island and passes by the Coast Guard airfield and then to the floating Maritime Museum where you will see many historical vessels. Beginning with the Berkeley Museum which is 279’ long 64’ beam 9’ draft and powered by a steam engine. She was built in 1898 and was the 1st propeller-driven ferry on the west coast and largest commuter ferryboat in the US - held up to 1700 passengers. This amazing cruise ferried refugees from the 1906 San Francisco earthquake to Oakland. Next is the USS Dolphin (555): Research sub deepest diving in the world then the Madea a privately owned 1920's private yacht. Then
From $60.00

Classic Sailboat Harbor Tour
"Is this your first time sailing? Or have you logged a fair amount of sea-time? Either way a San Diego boat tour on our 1914 replica Friendship Sloop is a one-of-a-kind experience. Liberty is a classic sailboat that is classy roomy comfortable and looks like something you'd spy alongside the Black Pearl in a the Pirates of the Caribbean film. Liberty has a wooden mast is gaffed-rigged and has authentic decor accents.In addition
From $107.00

Anthony's Fish Grotto Tips (12)

Anthony's Fish Grotto: A Long Time Favorite

Anthony's has been a favorite in San Diego for many years. It is conveniently located on Harbor Drive, along the San Diego Bay near the Star of India, the Cruise Ship Terminals and the Habor Cruise kiosks.

There are three restaurants rolled into one at this spot. The Star of the Sea Room is "casually elegant," the Fish Grotto is casual, family dining and the Fishette is their "fast food" offering for those on the go.

Honestly, Anthony's is not my favorite dine-in restaurant. I like the Fish Market better, which is a little further down on Harbor Drive--next to the Midway--but the seafood at Anthony's is fresh. I do admit that my opinion is based on eating in their Chula Vista location--which has since Closed--so the San Diego location might be a lot better.

Many people rave about it, and I have to admit that the seafood is fresh, delicately cooked and well flavored. So I suggest it as an option while visiting along the Harbor.

I especially like the Fishette, for convience and the prices. I've stopped there quite often to get something to go. They do have an outdoor seating section available and most interesting is the boat dock just outside for those staying in one of the many marinas to pop in for a meal.

There isn't much of a view here, but when in a hurry, that might not be so important.

I haven't eaten in either the The Star of the Sea Room or The Fish Grotto. I'm sure the quality of the food is the same and they both seem pretty popular with everyone.

The service at Anthony's Fishette, is efficient, but not particularly friendly. However, in both dining rooms, they seem pleasant and helpful. So, I don't think you'd be disappoint..

Favorite Dish My favorite is the Fish & Chips,a good sized portion. The fish is always fresh and the flavor of the cole slaw is surprizingly good. I also like the Scallops here very much and just thinking of them makes my mouth water.

lmkluque's Profile Photo
lmkluque
Oct 06, 2016

Anthony's Fish Grotto: Great location, food, and service!

Anthony's Fish Grotto is one of San Diego's landmark restaurant since 1946 and founded by Catherine "Mama" Ghio over 70 years ago.

We were staying right across the street at the Wydham, which was perfect for us. We sat in a nice comfy booth and we could see the bay wonderfully. The whole place had such a great vibe about it.

I had the Coconut Shrimp Crusted with coconut batter and topped with an Asian orange pineapple glaze with a baked potato and it was delicious and the hubby had Steak & Shrimp with Asian glazed, with coconut shrimp....yummy! The service was top notched too! A bit expensive, but well worth it!

Yaqui's Profile Photo
Yaqui
Aug 22, 2016

Anthony's Fish Grotto: An Old Seafood Favorite

Anthony's Fish Grotto is right on the waterfront, next to the cruise ship pier.

Favorite Dish Everything is good...nothing is great.

The best thing about eating here was meeting my old friends, Sonny and Shirley, whom I last saw at their wedding 52 years ago. Here we are enjoying the reunion at Anthony's Fish Grotto.

11/25/02

seagoingJLW's Profile Photo
seagoingJLW
Apr 04, 2011

Anthony's Fish Grotto: Best Chower I've had so far!

This is a great restaurant recommended to me by a friend. It's in downtown right on the San Diego bay. It has a family dining area and a separate dining area near the bar with a more romantic atmosphere. You can get a seat next to the window and see the harbor.
The staff was also very friendly and the service was very good. As busy as they were(their main dining room was packed), they got our food to us in excellent time.
My wife and I definitely will go again give the opportunity.

Favorite Dish For appetizer, definitely the New England Clam Chowder. It was the best I've ever tasted. They've been doing this since 1946, so it makes since it's so good.
For the main course, I got the Mesquite Steak and fire grilled shrimp. The steak was done just right and the shrimp tasted very fresh.
My wife got the Light Trout Fillet. Which was a piece of fresh trout (fire grilled as well) with their special sauce they poured over it. The fish was very light and flaky and they sauce was very tany, but subtle enough not to overpower the flavor of the fish.
For drink I got their Mango Margarita. They put sugar on the rim instead of salt, but the whole thing wasn't too sweet; went very good with the steak and shrimp.

azabeti's Profile Photo

1655 Pacific Highway, San Diego, California, 92101, United States
1747 Pacific Highway, San Diego, California, 92101, United States
555 West Ash Street, San Diego, California, 92101, United States
1943 Pacific Highway, San Diego, California, 92101, United States

Anthony's Fish Grotto: Anthony's Seafood - We Are Hooked!!!

Wonderful location, ambiance, and food! Anthony's has been voted "Best Seafood in San Diego" for 11 years in a row by the readers of San Diego's local newspaper, the people who would know! And we agree! We eat there at least once everytime we're in town.
There are 3 main restaurant locations. We've tried the Harbor and La Mesa locations. Food invariably sublime. But we prefer to eat at the Harbor just because of it's location: right on the bay next to the Star of India.
Do NOT miss this experience!!!

Favorite Dish Swordfish is my favorite seafood at ANY restaurant, but last time I had an excellent shark steak, very tender and delicious! On their permanent menu the Shrimp, Scallop, and Swordfish Kabob sounds interesting as does the Squid Steak Parmigiana (and the
Grilled Swordfish with Penne Pasta from the lunch menu.) I don't recall what the Coastal Combo or the Big Bay Combo include, but I'd sure like to refresh my memory! Anyhow, you CAN'T go wrong. All their dishes are great, but stick with the seafood!
San Diego on the Bay: 1360 North Harbor Drive, San Diego. (619) 232-5103.
La Mesa: 9530 Murray Drive, La Mesa. (619) 463-0368.
Chula Vista: 215 West Bay Blvd., Chula Vista. (619) 425-4200.

razorbacker's Profile Photo
razorbacker
Oct 02, 2007

Anthony's Fish Grotto: Looks fishy to me ...

Favorite Dish This is actually three restaurants on the waterfront just north of the Cruiseship Terminal.
The lower-priced semi fast-food place is Anthony's Fishette and the higher-priced restaurant is Star of the Sea. All have tables with a view of the bay, but I liked those at the Fishette best!

shrimp56's Profile Photo
shrimp56
Mar 25, 2004

Anthony's Fish Grotto: I'm no fish person!

This is the spot! It's fun and loud yet atmospherically romantic! The portions are hearty, the prices are resonable and the staff is much friendlier than you'd expect for a place this quaint. It's a locals favorite and Has my best friend Hooked! Every time she visits Anthony's Fish Grotto Is a MUST!
I'm not a fish person but I tried the Salmon with fettuccini in a garlic cheesey sauce and it was the best salmon I'd ever had in my life! That is now my favorite! The Lobster Thurmadore is not bad at all! Very good sauce with that was wonderful! They do everything better than anyone I've tasted yet!

Favorite Dish Chicken Ceasar is wonderful and the Salmon Fetttuccini is perfect! Lobester Thermadore is wonderful and they have the best clam chowder this side of the Mississippi!

Chiky's Profile Photo
Chiky
Mar 01, 2004

Anthony's Fish Grotto: Great Fish

I had a great Tuna Salad here after visiting the Maritime Museum. It's located on Harbor Drive, just a few minutes walk away from the museum. You can eat in or take away, though eat in if you have time because the view across the harbor is fantastic.

Favorite Dish I had a tuna salad which was tasty. They serve shrimp/smoked fish/tuna/crab salads, sandwiches - tuna, fried fish, salmon - and battered catfish, squid, scallops, clams, shrimp, amongst others. Prices aren't bad - most expensive salad is $7 and average price for lunch for one is noe more than $10.

Sophie1980's Profile Photo

lmkluque

"San Diego, California"
Yaqui's Profile Photo

Yaqui

"San Diego ~San Dieguito"
Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo

Jim_Eliason

"Jim_Eliason's San Diego Page"
Pawtuxet's Profile Photo

Pawtuxet

"Warm up to San Diego"
matcrazy1's Profile Photo

matcrazy1

"PAGE DEDICATED TO LINDA (lmkluque on VT)"
View Member

"Anthony's Fish Grotto" and "Star of the Sea": Can't Beat the View & Fresh Seafood

What makes this place special is the quality of food, service and the view.

The prices vary from fair to expensive depending upon where you eat:
Fish Grotto or
The Star of the Sea; is Anthony's fine dining seasonal seafood restaurant located on San Diego Bay. (www.starofthesea.com)

Favorite Dish My favorites are any of the fresh catch. You just can't go wrong. I prefer the Grilled or broiled to the fried. You will pay a little more but it is well worth it.

Straggler's Profile Photo
Straggler
May 17, 2003

Anthony's Fish Grotto: Anthony's: Very Good Seafood At Affordable Price

Anthony's Fish Grotto is located next to the expensive, sit-down, Anthony's restaurant. It has affordable pricing on the meals and also has a casual atmosphere. The restaurant is located on elevated slits and you get a lovely view of the Harbor. There is deck seating and you can also pull up in your boat and tie up at there dock.

Favorite Dish The "Mixed Treasure" meal. It has scallops, squid, shrimp, clams, and fish, along with a nice helping of fries.

Shadownlite
Feb 26, 2003

Athony's which is located near...

Athony's which is located near downtown San Diego right next to the docking back for tourist boat rides and Navy docking. This is a seafood resturaunt.
This resturaunt is right over the ocean in between the Star of Indian and a pier.

Favorite Dish Well I'm not exactly a big fan of fish, but this resturaunt does give a large assortment of seafood. My favorite is the popcorn shrimp or the fish and chips.

Monkey32's Profile Photo
Monkey32
Aug 24, 2002

Anthony's Fish Grotto: Local Seafood chain

Anthony's is another local institution. The most famous is on the harbour downtown by the Maritime museum. Other locations included by the Chula Vista Nature center and La Mesa.

Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
Jim_Eliason
Jun 17, 2007

Things to Do Near Anthony's Fish Grotto

Whale Watching

San Diego is a good place to go whale watching. What you will see and how many whales will depend on the time of the year you visit. There are several options here. First you can sometimes see the...

Museum of Contemporary Art

Located at 700 Prospect Street, right near La Jolla Cove, this museum and a distinctive shipwreck sculpture that makes is hard to miss. This is one of two contemporary art museum locations, the newer...

U.S.S. Midway

This is listed as one of the VERY Top things to do in town. On some lists it's #1. We were in town for 4 full days and this was the only thing he asked to do and he really enjoyed it. Personally I'm...

The Firehouse Museum

Founded in 1962, the Firehouse Museum occupies the former home of San Diego Fire Station No. 6, which now resides in Otay Mesa. The museum’s brick-and-mortar building in Little Italy features...

Little Italy

This was once a popular tuna fishing industry and which brought many generations of Italian families here that made this their home. Little Italy is a lively neighborhood filled with cottages, patio...

Seaport Village

While walking by the water of the Seaport Village we came upon this man who was stacking rocks in interesting formations. He was happily going about the task and only required you throw a donation in...

Getting to Anthony's Fish Grotto