Map &

chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Full Day Electric Beach Cruiser Rental
"Rental package includes premium electric bike water healthy snacks lock maps helmet jacket if needed. We have customized routes we've designed as well as phone docks installed on all rentals. If you'd like to take advantage of our maps
From $65.00

Tequila Sunset Electric Bike Tour of La Jolla
"The tour will begin with an orientation at the shop and when the group is comfortable you’ll head through the Village stopping at the Children's Pool to see the harbor seals with their pups and cruise through the coastal neighborhoods of La Jolla. Home to the most expensive real estate in San Diego La Jolla lives up to its plush reputation. You’ll follow the coast down to Windnsea Beach famous from early Beach Boys videos where San Diego’s most elite surfers come to play. You'll get insight of the expensive homes including to a few local celebrities as we ride along the coast next to Ferrari's and Lamborghinis galore. So come join us for an amazing experience
From $55.00

San Diego Segway Lesson for Beginners
"Head to the state-of-the-art Segway training site in downtown San Diego at your chosen time. Meet your instructor get outfitted in your safety gear and cover the basics of safe Segway riding during a 30-minute orientation session. Learn how to balance accelerate brake turn and spin on this unique 2-wheeled transportation device which sports high-tech gyroscopes that monitor your balance 100 times per second to automatically respond to your body’s movements. To accelerate simply lean forward; to stop or move backwards
From $30.00

Marketplace Grille Tips (7)

Marketplace Grille: Grilled food, not expensive

Walking around Gaslamp Quarter we were looking for a place (outside = to watch people hehe) to sit down and eat something local = Mexican food.
There were not many restaurants with tables outside that time (11 April). But we finally found one free small table in Marketplace Grille - they serve a lot of grilled food like American steaks there and of course Mexican food. Very nice service.

On May 14, 2004 I received an e-mail from VT member abkindness from San Diego:
Marketplace Grille's menu has changed. Two of the tips don't reflect the new menu and style. In one of your reviews, you refer to them with Mexian food which is wrong.
This is a fantastic restaurant and needs to be represented correctly.

Favorite Dish Mexican plat - 1 was enough for 2, not very hungry persons :-).

May 17, 2004

Marketplace Grille: Don't miss Mexican food

Whenever you are in San Diego you should taste delicious Mexican food there. There is only one question: is it really Mexican or American-Mexican? I do think that it's much easier to find real Mexican food in San Diego than in any other city in the USA - no wander, there are very many Mexican immigrants living there and it's a USA-Mexico border city.
Never mind - it tastes delicious, just ask always to avoid too spicy dishes if you don't like them.

From Chris (balfor) from Atlanta, Georgia, USA:
Is it really Mexican food or American/Mexican? The answer is yes.... Most of the foods that we consider Mexican are from northern Mexico and the southern part of the U.S. You will also hear this style of food referred to as Tex-Mex, though that is a bit different. Also you will find in many mexican restaurants something called ceviche (I THINK that's how it is spelled) which is a seafood relish with the fish "cooked" with lemon and/or lime juice along with minced vegetables. This is from the coastal regions of Mexico. And you can find authentic mexican food all over the U.S. We have an very large population of Mexicans in the U.S. and in every city there will be restaurants that cater to the people who are first or second generation Americans. If you want the good food, find a Mexican restaurant where you are the only caucasin in the place! (and if you're really lucky, you might find a place where grandma doesn't speak any english so she has to go get her grand-daughter to take your order!)
Thank you Chris!

On May 14, 2004 I received an e-mail from VT member abkindness from San Diego:
This is a fantastic restaurant and needs to be represented correctly.

Favorite Dish A few common Mexican dishes:
Burrito - large flour tortilla wrapped around a filling
Tortilla - a thin, flat bread made from wheat flour or corn masa
Salsa - Sauce. Usually, refers to a tomato-based condiment used to dip or to accent dishes. If the salsa is uncooked, as in Pico De Gallo, it is referred to as "salsa cruda." If it is processed, in Tex Mex lingo, this is called "chile." If cooked and then bottled, this is called "picante"

May 17, 2004

Marketplace Grill: Fire Rock

When I am relaxed and I am free of driving I usually try to taste the next, unknown for me and rather rare kind of a beer. Hmmm... usually I don't find anything great.
I tasted a Mexican Fire Rock (what a name hehe) Pale Ale by Kona Brewing Co and it wasn't my favourite one but... Mexican food was good, place and service great.

May 28, 2003

Marketplace Grill: Taste before you enter

You can taste some food before entering Marketplace Grill - this guy on my picture (how would you call him in English) invited people to go inside.

From Chris (balfor):
How do we call the guy handing out samples in front of a restaurant to entice you inside? Generally we call him/her the poor sap who has to stand outside giving out samples.... I'm sure that there is a name for that function, but I've never heard it!
Thank you Chris!

432 F Street, San Diego, California, 92101, United States
600 F Street, Gaslamp Quarter, San Diego, California, 92101, United States
830 6th Ave, San Diego, California, 92101, United States
520 E St., San Diego, California, 92101, United States

Marketplace Grille: Absolutely fantastic Grilled food!

We sat on the patio and had a wonderful time. Our waiter suggested a fantastic bottle of wine, and we enjoyed a Mediterranean Sampler. Since there were four of us, we each tried a different entree. Each one was fantastic as we shared bites. My lamb was grilled to perfection and the grilled vegetables were fabulous. We are now regular customers!

Favorite Dish Can't choose just one...but the hummus is addictive!

abkindness
May 14, 2004

Marketplace Grille: Waitress with attitude

Located in the Gaslamp Quarter, the MG serves all kinds of salads - Greek, Caesar, spinach and feta cheese - to which you can add chicken, salmon or prawn. Seafood, lamb, and chicken dishes, whcih come with rice, salad and bread. I enjoyed my Greek salad, but was put off by the moody waitress who was overly suggesting that I should add salmon to my salad (for an extra $8). I think she was also pissed that me and friend only had tap water too. He he, can't take the student out of me.
Thought it was too expensive for the food and service we got, even though the setting was nice with the outside table we had. Notice restaurants a few doors down that looked a lot more inviting and were a lot cheaper. (My meal cost me $14 for a Greek salad and tap water).

Favorite Dish None - though the salad was good, it's certainly not the best I've had. Next time II want a G salad, 'll head back to Halchidiki.

Sophie1980's Profile Photo
Sophie1980
Jun 11, 2004

Marketplace Grill: What is a burrito?

Burrito is a large flour tortilla wrapped around a filling - you can easily find it in each Mexican restaurant - look at my picture.

May 28, 2003

Top 5 San Diego Writers

lmkluque's Profile Photo

lmkluque

"San Diego, California"
Yaqui's Profile Photo

Yaqui

"San Diego ~San Dieguito"
Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo

Jim_Eliason

"Jim_Eliason's San Diego Page"
Pawtuxet's Profile Photo

Pawtuxet

"Warm up to San Diego"

matcrazy1

"PAGE DEDICATED TO LINDA (lmkluque on VT)"

Things to Do Near Marketplace Grille

Gaslamp Quarter

The Gaslamp Quarter is a historical neighborhood in downtown San Diego. This area encompasses sisteen blooks and is packed full of historic buildings, museums, restaurants, shopping, galleries and...

Torrey Pines

Parking is just off the Pacific Coast Highway north of San Diego. Park fees are by the car and relatively cheap. There are bathrooms and showers to hose the feet after walking on the beach. The main...

Ocean Beach

We loved hanging out in Ocean Beach during our visit to San Diego in April 2016. The vibe is very laid back, so after popping into a couple of stores and enjoying dinner we headed to the pier to watch...

San Diego Chinese Historical Museum

As we wandered Chinatown we came upon the First Emperor of China Statue. This sculpture is located at the entrance to the San Diego Chinese Historical Museum in San Diego's Gaslamp District. The...

SD Convention Center

San Diego Convention Center, steps away from Gaslamp Quarter, is a huge downtown venue beloved by a great variety of visitors every year. Usually attended by business types, the center is great for...

Museum of Contemporary Art

Located at 700 Prospect Street, right near La Jolla Cove, this museum and a distinctive shipwreck sculpture that makes is hard to miss. This is one of two contemporary art museum locations, the newer...

Getting to Marketplace Grille

Address

750 Fifth Ave

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Restaurants. Help us improve our info!

Map