map
chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Day Trip by Rail: Los Angeles to San Diego
"All aboard! Leave the traffic problems at home while you relax aboard an Amtrak Regional train for a day in San Diego. Take a nap on the comfortable roomy seats or stop by the Café Car. Before you know it you'll be in San Diego train station.With a mid-morning arrival it's just a few blocks to pick up your included tickets for a memorable hop-on hop-off tour of San Diego. Stay on the bus or hop off at the stop of your choice. There's something to do at nearly every stop on a variety of loop tours. Visit museums observatories zoos boat rides and enjoy the Old Town Markets. All are everlasting fun even if you've experienced them before. Enjoy the hottest
From $299.00

Go San Diego Card
"With the Go San Diego™ Card enjoy access to 43 unique attractions activities and tours all around San Diego and beyond including Los Angeles. A total value of more than USD $1000 the Go San Diego™ Card is available to you at one low price! Visit San Diego’s most popular attractions such as the San Diego Zoo LEGOLAND® California
From $84.00

San Diego Tour: Hop-on Hop-off Trolley
"Turn back the pages of history and relive San Diego's early days as it became the Birthplace of California. In Old Town San Diego (sometimes called the ""Jamestown of the Pacific"") you will experience early Americana with its distinctive ""West Coast Style"" Spanish flavor. The San Diego Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour is the easiest way to get around town. You can hop on and off at any of the 10 stops as often as you like. The shops and restaurants. Trolleys depart every 30 minutes."""Discover San Diego at your leisure with a one-day ticket on the Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour. Create your own itinerary to see the most popular sights of San Diego at your own pace.title=Highlights&1=Ride+the+San+Diego+Trolley&2=Hop+on+and+off+at+any+of+the+10+stops+as+often+as+you+like&3=Stops+are+conveniently+located+close+to+all+popular+attractions%2C+shops+and+restaurants&4=Create+your+own+itinerary+to+see+the+most+popular+sight1 day pass
From $39.00

Old Town Mexican Cafe Tips (14)

Old Town Mexican Cafe: Tortilla Ladies In The Windows!

This is my second choice in Old Town. One of the deciding factors, of course, the food is very good. Also, it stays open later--until midnight--than most restaurants in the area.

It is very popular and often times there is quite a wait. Benches are provided inside and out while you wait and for those interested, there are two huge windows on either side of the entrance which offer a view of their tortilla ladies, making and cooking flour and corn tortillas. On one side there is also a huge cooking spit where rows and rows of whole chickens rotate over an open fire until tenderly cooked.

Favorite Dish The menu is extensive, the food is very good and there is a full service bar. Service should please you in this lively local's hang out, attentive and efficient, though the place is usually packed.

My favorite meal is Chicken Fajitas or Carnitas and a margarita. If I'm in a specially festive mood I like 1800 tequila shooters.

lmkluque's Profile Photo
lmkluque
Mar 13, 2012

Old Town Mexican Cafe: Terrible food and service

I'm a San Diego native, and trust me, this place is way over-rated. Always crowded, greasiest chips and worst-attitude service. It's just old and gross. Do yourself a favor and go to Miguel's Cocina down the street. Great food, chips and service.

swissorangechip
Jul 20, 2011

Old Town Mexican Cafe: Reasonably priced Mexican in Old Town

I had a reservation for El Agave in Old Town, a higher end Mexican restaurant, but I had eaten a calamari sandwich at Point Loma Seafoods late in the afternoon and wasn't extremely hungry so I cancelled that and stopped by the Old Town Mexican Cafe for a snack. There was a 15-20 minute wait for a table on a Wednesday night around 8 pm so since I was by myself I just went and had a seat at the bar where they serve the whole menu.

The bar service was very quick and friendly, I had a nice chat with another solo traveler sitting next to me, he had eaten here the night before and thought the food was very good and came back. It's a bit of a tourist trap due to it's location smack dab in the middle of Old Town and the food is not authentic Mexican food but the restaurant has been around for at least 25 years so people must enjoy it.

Favorite Dish I ordered off the specials menu, a carnitas tamale and cheese enchilada ($8.95) and a strawberry frozen margarita, my total bill was under $14 with tax. The food was pretty standard Tex-Mex (Americanized Mexican food), nothing I would seek out again but very reasonably priced and good for families.

Dabs's Profile Photo
Dabs
May 03, 2008

Old Town Mexican Cafe: Eating in Old Town

Our feet were getting tired after nearly a full day of sightseeing -Maritime Museum in the morning, Old Town after a substantial Fish and Chip Lunch at the Harbour Cafe. So we were not really hungry but it was a very hot February afternoon and we ceratinly fancied a rest in those nice gardens we could see down the street and from which came the sound of a Mexican band.
It was no ordinary garden but the patio overspill of the Old Town Mexican Cafe, very busy but we found a table and noticed everyone around was tucking in to large plates full of food.
It seemed churlish to only order an orange juice so from the menu we chose a chicken salad to go with it.
Perhaps one day we will remember that a light snack is one of the hardest things to find anywhere in America! But we enjoyed it and the touristy atmosphere and the music!

ranger49's Profile Photo

3889 Arista Street, San Diego, California, 92110, United States
2380 Moore Street, San Diego, California, 92110, United States
3900 Old Town Avenue, San Diego, California, 92110, United States
4444 Pacific Highway, San Diego, California, 92110, United States

Old Town Mexican Cafe: Wonderful Mexican food North of the border!

Food is wonderful, atmosphere is festive. There are women in the window making the tortillas by hand! The margaritas are wonderful - makes you want to have to wait for a table just so you can get one!

Favorite Dish Chile Rellenos, chimichanga, and a big margarita - es muy bueno!

TravellerMel's Profile Photo
TravellerMel
Jan 31, 2008

Old Town Mexican Cafe: Carnitas to Die For!

The carnitas here are awesome. And the serving is a lot for one person. I definitely had 2 meals for the price of one. A definite place to stop if you love Mexican food and priced fairly cheaply. Also I recommend eating here instead of in Old Town because the food is a lot cheaper and a lot more authentic.

neurochic's Profile Photo
neurochic
Nov 14, 2005

Old Town Mexican Cafe: Great Music, Food, & Friends!

We ate here because my Neices soon to be mother-in-law chose this place for her birthday meal! We had them sing Happy Birthday to her in spanish which was really special! We had a wonderful time and the food was great!

Favorite Dish I had the typical meal of enchilada's, rice, beans and a cool tall glass of margarita's!

Yaqui's Profile Photo
Yaqui
Aug 23, 2005

Old Town Mexican Cafe: Where is the SHRIMP? Nowhere in the enchiladas...

I had lunch today, Monday September 27, 2004, at your restaurant. I am sorry I stopped by. I ordered the lunch 2 camarones enchiladas, soup of the day - potatoes and 2 XX drafts beers. The reception was terrible, I did not felt welcome. My server was courteous and friendly, Thank You Victoria. The 2 camarones enchiladas were terrible; two small shrimps cut into 5 pieces on each enchilada and a lot of tomatoes and onions with hot green peppers. I expected WHOLE "SHRIMPS" and lots of "SHRIMPS" I was disappointed.

Favorite Dish The chips and salsa are very good, that was my lunch!

lrrivas
Sep 27, 2004

Top 5 San Diego Writers

lmkluque's Profile Photo

lmkluque

"San Diego, California"
Yaqui's Profile Photo

Yaqui

"San Diego ~San Dieguito"
Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo

Jim_Eliason

"Jim_Eliason's San Diego Page"
Pawtuxet's Profile Photo

Pawtuxet

"Warm up to San Diego"
matcrazy1's Profile Photo

matcrazy1

"PAGE DEDICATED TO LINDA (lmkluque on VT)"

Old Town Mexican Cafe: Chicken Fajita

Favorite Dish This Chicken Fajita with strips of onion and bell pepper cost US$6.95. It's only on the appetizer on the menu, but already enough to feed me as a main course!!! Well, its presentation not very nice, but I tell you it was very delicious!!!

vigi's Profile Photo
vigi
May 27, 2004

Old Town Mexican Cafe: Roast Chicken

Favorite Dish We were attracted to dine in this restaurant because of 3 things: First, yummy roast chicken in the window; Second, long queue outside, and Third, tortilla ladies!!! The food turn out great! What more, they have live mexican music inside!

vigi's Profile Photo
vigi
May 27, 2004

Old Town Mexican Café: Fabulous tortillas and reasonable prices

Watch the famous "Tortilla Ladies" make fresh corn and flour tortillas...a meal at the Old Town Mexican Cafe is one of the best bargains in San Diego. Three people ate there and the bill came up to just over $30.00 (including drinks).

Favorite Dish Try the Camarones Especiales which is succulent gulf shrimp, sauce and vegetables wrapped in a flour tortilla with Mexican rice and refried beans. It also comes with a soup (seafood and vegetable which is delicious) or salad option. And you must try one of there famous margaritas.

spartan's Profile Photo
spartan
Feb 09, 2003

Old Town Mexican Cafe: Mexican favorite of locals

Old Town Mexican Cafe is where the locals go for Mexican food in Old town. Low key decor but always packed.

Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
Jim_Eliason
Jan 27, 2008

Things to Do Near Old Town Mexican Cafe

Whaley House

Whaley House was built in 1857 and was the home of local businessman Thomas Whaley. At the time it was built, the two-storey brick house was said to be one of the finest in southern California. The...

Old Town Trolley Tours

Old Town San Diego was a Mexican Bastion. If you want to have a different experience of nightlife with an authentic native californian mexican flavor and away from the maddening crowd in Gaslamp...

Heritage Park

This section of Old Town is operated by the county with the exception of Derby-Pendelton House, which belongs to the Save Our Heritage Foundation. Located in the northeast segment of O.T, it’s a...

Bazaar del Mundo

I know this isn't the "Restaurant Tips" Section, I just wanted to show you the best place to be sitting when the free performances begin. We'll have a great view of the stage from Casa De Pico's...

Junipero Serra Museum - Presidio Park

In 1769 Spain established the Presidio of San Diego and is the oldest European settlement on the Pacific Coast of the US and Canada. Once a fortified military colony it grew to become the chief...

SeaWorld

Ok, I don't care what age you are, but Sea World has load to offer for all ages to enjoy. Animals shows, exhibits, and some actual hands on with some dolphins and sting rays. Its been a very long time...

Getting to Old Town Mexican Cafe