Map &

Private Coastal Tour of San Diego
From $549.00

Other Sports Tips (13)

USA Olympic Training Center

It took quite a bit of effort on the part of local business people but finally a site in Chula Vista was chosen and given as a gift from the San Diego National Sports Training Foundation, a group of SD business and community leaders, and volunteers who raised the funds to build this Official Olympic Training Center in June of 1995. The facility is located at the far east end of Chula Vista just before you get to the Lower Otay Reservoir in San Diego County. It is actually skirting the Lake in some sections. One of the buildings is situated on the banks of the lake.

This warm weather, year-round campus is also home to the athletes while in training. Guided and self-guided tours are offered Saturday and Sunday and oftentimes the guide is one of the resident athletes. This visit the tour guide was Josiah Jamison, a Paralympic gold medalist.

The sports typically trained here are archery, BMX, canoe/kayak, cycling, field hockey, rowing, soccer, softball, tennis, track & field and triathlon. Olympic, Paralympic, Youth Olympic, Pan American and Parapan American Games are all supported by the USOC and though the tours are free, donations are always welcomed or shop in the Athlete store.

Even if the sports are not so interesting to you, a tour of the facility is quite informative and entertaining.

Equipment Good Walking shoes and a jacket if the day is cool. It can become quite windy out here on cool days.

lmkluque's Profile Photo
Dec 13, 2013

Need Swim Lessons before hitting the Beach?

If you need swim lessons before hitting the beach or want to improve your form before the next triathlon, Floaties is your place. Okay so the first time you walk in and notice 15-20 kids in the pool, you may start to worry about sanitation from peeing in the pool or god forbid "floaties" in the pool (sorry I had to go there), but the pool is both saline and chlorine cleaned besides where else are you going to find a pool so warm it's like swimming in bath water.

Adult swim lessons are only on Monday and Friday evening, but Stephano will get you swimming in a matter of a a few lessons.

Equipment A swim suit, goggles and a towel!

dgines's Profile Photo
May 31, 2010

San Diego Sports Arena

My Son is a green belt, but at the time he was a blue belt. He was on the demo team for our local Karate studio. They came in third place. They did so good, and we are all so proud of them. The event was held at the San Diego Sports Arena. It holds all kinds of events. Lots of parking and plenty of seatting. It was very easy to find and our hotel was right across the street. So everyone was decked out in the Gi's and we all walked together from the hotel.

Office is on the north side
Hours: M-F 8:30am - 5:30pm

History: The roar of 11,682 professional hockey fans gave birth to San Diego Sports Arena (formerly, the San Diego International Sports Center) on November 17, 1966, as the San Diego Gulls-then of the Western Hockey League-won their home opener in a 4-to-1 victory against the Seattle Totems.

Yaqui's Profile Photo
Oct 11, 2008

Deep Sea Fishing

We love to go deep sea fishing off of San Diego. We plan and prepare every year for this adventure. Daily I check the fishing reports and get excited about the huge catches everyone is experiencing. Last year we didn't do too well but were told if we went on a two day trip we would get into better waters. So we saved the extra money and made extra arrangements to be away longer. Unfortunately, we still had a low fishing catch. We still had fun even though we were disappointed. The really bad part was when we got home and checked the fishing report for our trip. To our surprise we were reported to have caught many more fish than we knew about. We have emailed the charter for an explanation but have had no response. Be CAREFUL, if you pick your charter based on their fishing report they might be lying just like the boys on the "Old Number 7 Sportfishing" boat from Marina Cortez, San Diego.

Aug 17, 2006
Sponsored Listings

Hotels Near San Diego

830 6th Ave, San Diego, California, 92101, United States
600 F Street, Gaslamp Quarter, San Diego, California, 92101, United States
911 5th Avenue, (formerly Prava Hotel), San Diego, California, 92101, United States
530 Broadway Street, San Diego, California, 92101, United States
520 E St., San Diego, California, 92101, United States
1047 5th Avenue, San Diego, California, 92101, United States

Del Mar Racetrack

I've never actually been to a race here, but the track is located at the Del Mar Fairgrounds, so I used to see it every year while visiting the fair. If you're interested in horse racing and you're in San Diego during the short season (July through September), come check it out. Racing schedules and directions can be found at the website below.

acemj's Profile Photo
Jan 28, 2006

Frisbee Golf?!

Well it's hardier to tell you about this odd new sport than it is to show, but take frizbie, golf, hroseshoes and put them to gether! the gold is to make the frisbee hit the chain trashcan like pole! sounds like it would be fun atfer drinking a few cokes* =)

nick723's Profile Photo
Aug 04, 2005

Golfing at Torrey Pines

Torrey Pines is a wonderful public course right by the ocean. Views are amazing while you play close to the cliffs. It is located between La Jolla and Del Mar. There are two Championship 18-hole golf courses, the North course and the South course. Both courses are played by the PGA TOUR professionals during the Buick Invitational of California held each year in February. Torrey Pines South was redesigned in 2001 by Rees Jones and recently chosen to host the 2008 United States Open Championship.

Frisbeeace's Profile Photo
May 17, 2004

Amateur softball

Sean and I set off early for Eastlake High School in his open-air Jeep Wrangler. By that time of day, it started to get real cool. This is really normal weather for the San Diego area, but I was spoiled by the warm evenings from Monday to Thursday. I wore shorts out of force of habit and I felt like I was going to freeze my bohunkus off.

The softball game with a lot of Sean's colleagues started badly with Sean's team (the Mad Dawgs) behind 0-6. After Debbie and the girls got there, the Dawgs finally scored some points. I moved around a lot because it got even cooler after sunset. The game was over soon with Sean's team losing 5-11. I was cold, and, by the time the game ended, hungry. Sean's team mates lingered there for no apparent reason. Savannah and Holly played with a dog named Bubba. I did have the pleasure of meetingone of the team members, Brandy- originally of Phenix City, Alabama. She is good looking and she was the only one around there that talked normally.

Finally, it was time to go. Holly wanted to ride in Sean's open-air Jeep Wrangler- Savannah rode home in Debbie's sheltered Jeep Cherokee. Sean, Holly, and I left well before the others. On arriving to the complex, we passed under a porch where a family was having a wild party, drunk, and singing off-key songs in Korean.

On entering the flat, I had my mind set on grilled chicken breast and the snaps (cooked with bacon). I was so hungry I could eat a horse and chase the rider- I didn't even bother to warm up either the chicken or the snaps.

b1bob's Profile Photo
Apr 04, 2004

Top 5 San Diego Writers

lmkluque's Profile Photo

"San Diego, California"
Yaqui's Profile Photo

"San Diego ~San Dieguito"
Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo

"Jim_Eliason's San Diego Page"
Pawtuxet's Profile Photo

"Warm up to San Diego"
matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Outdoor Ice Skating!

When I was in San Diego In December I was surprised to find an outdoor skating rink downtown. Coming from Canada I thought San Diego was to warm for it, but thanks to modern technology they made an artificial ice surface there.

Equipment Ice skates.

mrserious's Profile Photo
Jan 06, 2004

Going golfing with Sean

COTTONWOOD at RANCHO SAN DIEGO: I am about as bad at golf as anybody can get (at least I admit it), nevertheless, I am interested in golf because that's what my friend Sean likes to do. We took a golf cart and Sean's foursome was off. They were Sean, Jay, Bob, and Lanie (all but Sean in their 50's). Bob was right quiet, therefore I never got to know too much about him. Lanie is quite the opposite. She likes to talk even more than I do. They had to quiet her down before others were making their shots. She has a friendly personality. According to Sean, Jay is all hat and no cattle. To hear him talk, you would think he is Arnold Palmer or something like that, but in terms of his tournament handicap, he is on a par with Sean (who, at that time, was average). Sean had a disappointing day by his standards, but he did make some impressive shots. For example, he hit one 175 yards over a bridge, across a stream, and straight onto the green. I visualised the ball either ricocheting off the bridge or falling into the stream. However, it landed in a picture perfect way on the green for a good score on a difficult hole.

b1bob's Profile Photo
Mar 17, 2003

Take in a Game at Petco Park

Watch your favorite team vs the San Diego Padres.

San Diego weather is generally very pleasant so most days or evenings you will be able to enjoy the great outdoors at an American sport.

riorich55's Profile Photo
Aug 27, 2015

There are many people crazy about fishing in San Diego. I liked to go fishing just for "driving" the boat.

trotador's Profile Photo
Sep 14, 2003

Things To Do Near San Diego

Torrey Pines

Parking is just off the Pacific Coast Highway north of San Diego. Park fees are by the car and relatively cheap. There are bathrooms and showers to hose the feet after walking on the beach. The main...

Ocean Beach

We loved hanging out in Ocean Beach during our visit to San Diego in April 2016. The vibe is very laid back, so after popping into a couple of stores and enjoying dinner we headed to the pier to watch...

Gaslamp Quarter

The Gaslamp Quarter is a historical neighborhood in downtown San Diego. This area encompasses sisteen blooks and is packed full of historic buildings, museums, restaurants, shopping, galleries and...

San Diego Chinese Historical Museum

As we wandered Chinatown we came upon the First Emperor of China Statue. This sculpture is located at the entrance to the San Diego Chinese Historical Museum in San Diego's Gaslamp District. The...

SD Convention Center

San Diego Convention Center, steps away from Gaslamp Quarter, is a huge downtown venue beloved by a great variety of visitors every year. Usually attended by business types, the center is great for...

Museum of Contemporary Art

Located at 700 Prospect Street, right near La Jolla Cove, this museum and a distinctive shipwreck sculpture that makes is hard to miss. This is one of two contemporary art museum locations, the newer...

Getting to San Diego

We don't yet have an address for this Sports & Outdoors. Help us improve our info!

We don't yet have hours for this Sports & Outdoors. Help us improve our info!