Map &

San Diego 90-Minute Electric Boat Rental
From $172.00

Road Rules Tips (12)

2 cars at a time

When you are getting on or off the interstate in San Diego, especially during rush hour, please note that the light will turn green for a second and this is so TWO and only TWO cars in that lane can get onto the interstate. So wait your turn.

tampa_shawn's Profile Photo
tampa_shawn
Nov 24, 2013

Slow down!

Slow down! 45 (miles per hour) ZONE AHEAD! it seems that they don't like number "0" - usually speed limits are 25, 35, 45 etc. mph (miles per hour). Hmm... I don't like "0", too - especially when I check my bank accounts after coming back from a holiday :-).

Jun 23, 2003

Don't look for YIELD signs

It seems that they very rarely put "YIELD" road sign. This one on my picture i found inside San Diego ZOO.
There are very many "yield" signs in my homecountry and other European countries.

From Chris (balfor):
Yield signs - Generally, you won't find these on busy roads at all unless they are on a merge/acceleration lane. Once you get out of high traffic areas, they become a little more common but you will still find them used more on a turn lane than to control the flow of traffic through an intersection.
Thank you Chris!

Jun 07, 2003

No parking

There are a lot of road signs: NO PARKING, for example 2am - 6am daily (strange time?) - look at my picture or No Parking any time.

Except the road signs note the following curb markings:
WHITE: Three-minute maximum, (10 minutes at hotels) for active loading only, 24 hours a day, unless otherwise noted.
Exception: Airport/Hospital - the driver must stay with the car.

GREEN: Short-term parking for the posted duration or unlimited time with a visible disabled placard.

YELLOW: Twenty-minute loading zone for vehicles with commercial plates only, 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. except Sundays and certain holidays, unless otherwise posted.

RED: No stopping, standing or parking. Be especially observant of the marked fire lanes.

BLUE: Reserved for physically disabled persons only with vehicles marked by a California or out-of-state officially issued placard or plate. These violations are vigorously enforced and costly. For information call 858-279-0704.

From Chris (balfor):
Color coded curbs - Don't rely on those color codes to be the same everywhere. Many places don't paint the curbs at all and most places I've been use yellow to indicate no parking areas, though I have seen red used as well. Blue will be for handicapped if they use color codings at all.
Thank you Chris!

Jun 07, 2003

Sponsored Listings

Hotels in San Diego

830 6th Ave, San Diego, California, 92101, United States
600 F Street, Gaslamp Quarter, San Diego, California, 92101, United States
Hotels
911 5th Avenue, (formerly Prava Hotel), San Diego, California, 92101, United States
530 Broadway Street, San Diego, California, 92101, United States
520 E St., San Diego, California, 92101, United States
1047 5th Avenue, San Diego, California, 92101, United States

Directions

It's important to know that odd numbers are used to indicate north-south and even numbers west-east highway/freeway (for example I-5 goes north-south and I-20 goes west-east). Why is it important? Because they often use signs like I-5 North or I-20 West to indicate freeway entries.

Traffic lights

In Europe, or at least at my homecountry traffic lights are ALWAYS before and sometimes repeated behind a crossroad.

In many USA cities they are only behind a crossroad. But not in San Diego, here they are usually either behind and before the crossword - am I wrong?

What is XING?

I didn't know what word XING means when I arrived to San Diego first time hehe. After my visit in San Diego, I know: it's a pedastrian crossing.
Strange word, is it from Chinese or what? :-)

Btw my biggest (over 500,000 words) Oxford English-Polish Dictionary doesn't contain this word, neither my Cambridge International Dictionary of English. I wonder WHY?

Never mind, watch for XING signs whenever you drive especially in residential areas of San Diego and don't worry, there are not many pedastrians there - they rather drive than walk hehe.

From CHRIS (balfor):
XING: When you saw it painted on the road it meant just what you thought it did.
The X is kind of an abbreviation for cross so it really was telling your it was
a crossing.
Thank you Chris for your explanation!

Jun 02, 2003

Tow away zone

When parking your car at visitor attractions or around the city, note curbside regulations (previous tip) and park within marked stalls.

If your car is missing from where you parked it, call 619-531-2844 to see if it has been towed.

Any location is potentially a tow away zone if you park illegally. Tow away zones are clearly marked and the regulations are strictly enforced. Having your car towed can be expensive.

Contesting a citation: If you do get a ticket, and you feel it is a mistake, you may contest it in person, by telephone or by mail within 30 days of issuance.

May 30, 2003

Top 5 San Diego Writers

lmkluque's Profile Photo

lmkluque

"San Diego, California"
Yaqui's Profile Photo

Yaqui

"San Diego ~San Dieguito"
Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo

Jim_Eliason

"Jim_Eliason's San Diego Page"
Pawtuxet's Profile Photo

Pawtuxet

"Warm up to San Diego"

matcrazy1

"PAGE DEDICATED TO LINDA (lmkluque on VT)"

Car pool lanes

When you drive I-5 to San Diego from Los Angeles you can use a car pool lane.
What is that?
It's a special left lane on a freeway which can be used only by cars with at least 2 passengers. Usually it's faster, sometimes the traffic on "normal" lanes is really slow (30 mph or slower) but never on a car pool lane (at least when I drove there in April and May).
So take somebody inside your car (I took my wife :-) and drive faster :-))).

May 27, 2003

Lanes for trucks

Sometimes there are lanes not for trucks. Look at my picture with traffic signs: TRUCKS OK over the right lane and NO TRUCKS over the next left lane.

Emergency Parking Only

Watch traffic signs (if you know English :-) - especially when you are going to park your car - look at the sign on my picture.

Watch for pedastrians

Watch for pedastrians especially in business and residential areas of San Diego. And do what San Diego's drivers do: give them a way, even outside pediastrian crossings (xings?).

May 30, 2003

Things To Do in San Diego

Torrey Pines

Parking is just off the Pacific Coast Highway north of San Diego. Park fees are by the car and relatively cheap. There are bathrooms and showers to hose the feet after walking on the beach. The main...

Ocean Beach

We loved hanging out in Ocean Beach during our visit to San Diego in April 2016. The vibe is very laid back, so after popping into a couple of stores and enjoying dinner we headed to the pier to watch...

Gaslamp Quarter

The Gaslamp Quarter is a historical neighborhood in downtown San Diego. This area encompasses sisteen blooks and is packed full of historic buildings, museums, restaurants, shopping, galleries and...

San Diego Chinese Historical Museum

As we wandered Chinatown we came upon the First Emperor of China Statue. This sculpture is located at the entrance to the San Diego Chinese Historical Museum in San Diego's Gaslamp District. The...

SD Convention Center

San Diego Convention Center, steps away from Gaslamp Quarter, is a huge downtown venue beloved by a great variety of visitors every year. Usually attended by business types, the center is great for...

Museum of Contemporary Art

Located at 700 Prospect Street, right near La Jolla Cove, this museum and a distinctive shipwreck sculpture that makes is hard to miss. This is one of two contemporary art museum locations, the newer...

Getting to San Diego

Address

We don't yet have an address for this Transportation. Help us improve our info!

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Transportation. Help us improve our info!

Map