Map &

San Francisco Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
From $45.00
San Francisco Hop-on Hop-off Tour
From $25.00

Boudin Bakery & Café Tips (27)

Boudin Bakery & Café: Sourdough

If you have not had sourdough bread before you are missing out :)

Boudin bakery prides itself as one of the original bakeries in San Francisco (it started operations in 1849). They have a restaurant at Fisherman's Wharf and a small outlet near Macy's Union Square.

I like their Italian sandwich on a sourdough a lot - which is a cold sandwich with pepperoni, ham, olives and provolone cheese.

How does a sourdough taste? Well, it taste a lot like white bread, only it has a really nice mild sour after should really try it.

heryanta's Profile Photo
Aug 16, 2007

Boudin Bakery & Café: Chowder and a sourdough cob on Pier 39.

The Boudin Bakery and Cafe seems to be a popular chain in this part of the world. I've categorised them as "fast food", because you basically go in, order, get served at the counter, go off and eat. For the average budget traveller tramping around on foot, Boudin's offers filling tucker. I enjoyed a chowder in a cob (a hollowed out bread bowl) that was made of sourdough, I believe. It was actually very yummy and just what I needed when I stopped for a break at touristy Pier 39.

worldkiwi's Profile Photo
May 07, 2007

Boudin Bakery & Café: You have to have the Chowder!

I loved this place - A bakery downstairs and a gift shop as well (nice bits and pieces in there) and then upstairs a lovely bar and restaurant area.

I loved the bar (well some things never change!) and even though twenty or so travel agents piled in and set them selves up to do some work for a while, the staff were friendly and polite even providing stationary for us - (small note to the Brits don't ask the hunky bar tender for 'a rubber' - ask for 'an eraser' - saves embarresment all round!!!)

We all came back to this place whether it was for the shop, to buy the bread, the great food or maybe that hunky bar tender...

Favorite Dish They are famous for their chowder served in a sourdough loaf - it's great. They also serve it with a ceasar salad making a delicious and rather filing lunch.

All the other items were tasty, but this was my fav.

(Unfortunately I can't remember exactly what I paid - sorry guys!)

PrincessMonja's Profile Photo
Apr 25, 2007

Boudin Bakery & Café: For a famous clam chowder

Very famous and full of tourists… It is very hard to find a place to sit !
But we wanted to taste the real clam chowder and we were told this was the place to go.
We had a crab sandwich and a clam chowder in sourdough bread. Really really tasty, but quite expensive and not very much on your plate ... and that doesn't happen very often in this country :-)

Muya's Profile Photo

181 Third Street, San Francisco, California, 94103, United States
125 3rd St, San Francisco, California, 94103, United States
2 New Montgomery Street, San Francisco, California, 94105, United States
50 Third Street, San Francisco, California, 94103, United States

Boudin Bakery & Café: Overrated - Go Elsewhere for Sourdough, etc.

This is a local sourdough-based restaurant serving decent, but overpriced food that really is overrated and far more well-known than it should be. It has become a bit of a chain with branches throughout the area and even in Disneyland, having cashed in on San Francisco's fame for sourdough bread. I can say that this region of California (and not just SF) deserves a good reputation for sourdough bread, and you can find a lot of great sourdough, but the bread here is mediocre at best. The food in general is stock stuff thrown together like any other chain. In an area with so many great places to eat, and find great sourdough, there is, therefore, not really any reason to go here.

Favorite Dish None. The soup in bread bowl is decent, somewhat tasty, and filling, but mediocre and not nearly as good as it should be.

WulfstanTraveller's Profile Photo
Aug 24, 2006

Boudin Bakery & Café: Soup in a sourdough bowl

The bread was great, but the soup....well, let's just say I could have given them some tips on preparation of soup AND the temperature soup should be served! This seems to be a must do thing for most visitors to SF, but I say go into the bakery and buy the bread and stop at a store somewhere and buy some cold cuts or some butter and just break off the bread and eat it that way.

Favorite Dish I had the chili, my hubby had the seafood chowder. I wasn't impressed with either....I did however love the bread!

IslandGirl10's Profile Photo
Aug 21, 2006

Boudin Bakery & Café: a bit touristy but what the heck

Okay, this is a touristy thing to do, but San Francisco is noted (and rightfully so) for its sourdough bread and Boudin’s surely makes a great one. The idea of putting soup, preferably clam chowder into a round scooped our loaf evidently originated here. It’s full of tourists but still a cool place to visit as you watch the bread being transported by a pulley type device. You can eat outside under space heaters, much needed with the city’s infamous foggy cool weather. It’s very convenient and I guess something everyone should do once.

Favorite Dish We shared one bowl of the chowder as it was a bit pricey at $6.95. The chowder itself was not bad but not exactly full of clams and the portion was pretty measly other than the bread bowl it came served in. Generally, we noticed people throwing the bowl away rather than eating it when we found it the best part of the meal! By only ordering one, we were able to eat the whole thing and then picked up some fried calamari at one of the nearby seafood stands.

richiecdisc's Profile Photo
Nov 15, 2005

Boudin Bakery & Café: House o' sourdough

The boudin bakery is a popular place for many reasons. You can tour the bakery, you can watch real live bakers in action and you can actually eat here.

Boudin's serves sandwiches and its famous sourdough bread. They really raise San Fran's famous bread to an art form here, too. In addition to rolls, the bakery bakes loaves in all shapes and sizes, including cute little crab and starfish shaped loaves of bread that are almost too pretty to eat. Its not a good idea to buy these as souveniers though unless you plan on bringing a practically fossilized loaf as opposed to an edible one as the bread hardens after a day or so.

I bought a sourdough loaf here, as this was recommended as something to try while in San Francisco and this seemed the place to do it. It was hot and fresh and I didn't find it too sour as I'd heard. It wasn't my favorite meal of the trip, but it was still a good taste of San Francisco.

goingsolo's Profile Photo
Jul 07, 2005

Top 5 San Francisco Writers

atufft's Profile Photo

"Bagdad by the Bay"
Karnubawax's Profile Photo

"San Francisco - My Favorie City - By Default"
Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

"San Francisco - "It's a free-for-all up there!""
davequ's Profile Photo

"SFO ... a declassé love letter to the CITY"
Geisha_Girl's Profile Photo

"San Francisco: Why this heart never leaves"

Boudin Bakery & Café: The best sourdough bread bowls

This casual location at Fisherman's Wharf is reknowned for the sourdough bread that is supposedly from mother dough that was introduced over a hundred years ago.

The super fresh bread bowl I had my clam chowder in was wonderfully tangy and had the right mix of a crispy crust with warm soft bread on the inside. The chowder itself was tasty too.

A lot of people said not to bother with this "touristy" location, but I dont think my trip would have felt complete if I had not been.

Favorite Dish Anything served with the sourdough, but the clam chowder is wonderful.

binkieloo's Profile Photo
Apr 03, 2005

Boudin Bakery & Café: Have some Chowder!

The fog is rolling in, you forgot your windbreaker, so you have purchased one for 25 dollars from a street vendor, and you are walking in Fisherman's are not sure what you want to eat... what's the local thing?

Chowder. In a Sourdough bowl. Enough said. The place to get this taken care of is Boudin's. All over SF you will be able to find a hot bowl dropped right into the bread!

Favorite Dish Chowder in a Sourdough Bowl.

ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
Jun 15, 2004

Boudin Bakery & Café: Why is it called Sourdough?

Nowadays "Sourdough" is seemingly all over the place...makes sense cause it tastes so good! When I was there I had a bowl of soup in a bread bowl. As I was posting this, I wondered where this came from and was surprised to find this answer:

"Way back in ancient days (around 6,000 years ago, some say) humans first figured out how to promote the fermentation and leavening of grains to first be brewed into beverages and then, later, to be baked into bread. This probably happened by accident time after time, until someone smart figured it out. Next our ancestors figured out how to save a portion of the fermented grains to use to "start" the fermentation of their next batch of bread. Since that time, humankind has been using and making "sourdough."

The story gets even better. Here is the link from which the above was found, and it explains San Fran Sourdough!

Favorite Dish Soup in a Bread Bowl

where2next's Profile Photo
Apr 09, 2004

Boudin Bakery

I was excited to try the Original Sourdough Bread -- and *ahem* I didn't like it. I think it was just too "sour" for my taste.

I am embarrassed to admit that I gave in to trying the clam chowder in a bread bowl. I was really disappointed. The soup was starchy and had the consistency of wet cement, with almost non-existent clams. I would have been better off opening a can of Campbell's.

If you're into the bread, it seems well-made with good texture, but I just didn't like it.

madamx's Profile Photo
Feb 10, 2004

Things To Do Near Boudin Bakery & Café

Things to do

Museum of Modern Art (Temp. Closure: June 2013 to 2016)

Inside the striking building is a modern art collection that boasts excellent touring exhibits, films and photography. The permanent collection includes works by Pollack, Warhol, Matisse, Picasso and...

Moscone Center

The Moscone Center is San Francisco's premier meeting place, Conventions and exhibition facility and it consists of two main underground halls underneath Yerba Buena Gardens, Moscone North and Moscone...

Yerba Buena Center for the Arts

I stumbled on this by accident. I had "done" Lombard Street and went exploring with my camera. The building is quirky with a blending of Spanish and modern and it's not far from the more famous Yerba...

Yerba Buena Gardens

A Tribute to the ethnic diversity of San Francisco is that the Yerba Buena Garden in South of Market has the Largest Martin Luther King Memorial in the west Coast and is the second largest MLK...
Things to do

The Metreon is a giant theater, shopping, and entertainment complex that is complete with an arcade. The AMC movie theater offers 15 screens and an IMAX theater. They feature first run movies with the...

Union Square

Union Square is right in the heart of San Francisco. Our hotel was just a couple of blocks from here. Union Square was built in 1850. It was named Union Square by San Fracisco's first major, John...

Getting to Boudin Bakery & Café

156 Jefferson Street

We don't yet have hours for this Restaurants. Help us improve our info!