Map &

chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

5 Hour Self-Guided Tour of San Francisco in a Classic VW Bug
"Hop in a classic Volkswagen convertible Bug at Fisherman's Wharf and embark on your GPS-guided tour of beautiful San Francisco! You’ll drive a stick shift in a car that fits up to four people.As you explore the city at your own pace select destinations from the GPS by touch or voice. Your state-of-the-art GPS is pre-loaded with 40 of San Francisco's top locations and has text and voice commands available in more than 20 languages. If you have any other specific sites you want to visit you can program them into the GPS as well.Explore Chinatown wind down Lombard Street stop by the Presidio and spend time at the San Francisco Zoo. Take a movie location tour and see sites from films such as Bullitt
From $75.00

4 Hour Self-Guided Tour of San Francisco in a Classic VW Bug
From $63.00

San Francisco Hop-on Hop-off Tour 1 Day Pass
"Yellow Bus Hop On Hop Off City Loop has 17 different stops and runs every 30 minutes.*Walk Pier 39 and visit the sea lions the carousel and try the world famous clam chowder*Don't forget to taste some Ghiradellii chocolate*Two stop at the Golden Gate Bridge allows anyone the chance to walk across and view the amazing sights*The Golden Gate Park stop includes: The De Young Museum and the Academy of Science.*Two stops near Haight and Ashbury allows you to walk the streets where some of the famous musicians walked.*Alamo Square Stop is where you can see the houses from the television show FULL HOUSE as well as the f grab a bite to eat or take a cable car up and down the hills of San Francisco*Chinatown Gate stop is a great stop to walk around Chinatown and see the Chinatown Gates. *Stop at North Beach
From $27.00

House of Nanking Tips (19)

House of Nanking: Let the owner decide

Strange little place on the border between Chinatown and North Beach. Hank Donat (mistersf) turned me onto this place via his excellent "local joints" pages.

Thank you Hank for all the great suggestions. Your website is outstanding!

Some people don't like it as it is almost a hole, and very crowded during lunch peak w/long waits. And often the owner/mgr won't let you order off the menu - he just picks it himself. But on a good day the food is worth it and cheap.

Don't believe the dorks who say it stinks, and don't believe the turkeys that say it's great. Go try it for yourself, and again, if the owner is still there picking out food for you, let him pick it.

I take a late walk down from Grace Church into Chinatown and try to hit it during the afternoon lull around 2pm.

Favorite Dish Nanking chicken, Nanking scallops, whatever, etc. but if the mgr./owner insists on picking what to serve you, let him. It can be a pleasant surprise.

davequ's Profile Photo
davequ
Mar 24, 2015

House of Nanking: One of the best

We saw the outside line as we drove down the street and decided to give it a try for our Christmas dinner. The line took about 40 minutes. When we got inside the decor is entirely unimpressive, but boy was the food great. We had sesame chicken, some beef dish in a wrap, calamari, hot and sour soup. The hot and sour soup was too different from what I was expecting and would not order it again. The sesame chicken was great and we ordered a second helping, the beef wrap was great too. The beef was mixed with something that looked like coleslaw. Whatever, it was very good. The price was very reasonable about $65 dollars total.

It is not traditional chinese. The meal included tomatoes with the beef wrap and a side of sweet potatoes with the sesame chicken. So it is americanized in a way I have never before witnessed.

Overall it was one of the best dining experiences I have ever had.

OldManFromOrlando
Jan 03, 2015

House of Nanking: Be aware of this place

If you're going to eat at House of Nanking, I think I should tell you to reconsider it. First of all, the foods were really bad after remodeling. I always go to this place on my San Francisco trip, and what a disappointment. They subtracted ingredients such as peanuts and vegetables on nanking specialties. Calmary fried was too sour and salty, and looked really dud and simple. Secondly, I looked around and found dirty towels everywhere. I was shock to see the server was grabbing handful of kyoza(fried dumpling) with the same hands he was touching the dirty towel! Lastly, bad customer service. Our total came out $45 dollars, and I was expected $5.00 change after gave the server $50.00 bill. Well our gratitude was already charged on the receipt which was $6.00....so we didn't have to spend more money on tips, which I wasn't gonna give them anyway. This fool thought that I was happhy enough to pay another $5.00 for addition to the gratidude. When I asked the server for my change, he yelled and cussed at me in Chinese with bad attidude.

Favorite Dish none

dcdgoth
Feb 01, 2009

House of Nanking: Be aware of this place!

Favorite Dish none

dcdgoth
Jan 31, 2009

Sponsored Listings

Hotels Near House of Nanking

Hotels
935 Kearny Street, (formerly St. Paul Hotel), San Francisco, California, 94133, United States
Hotels
750 Kearny Street, (Formerly "Holiday Inn"), San Francisco, California, 94108, United States
494 Broadway, San Francisco, California, 94133-4515, United States
661 Broadway, San Francisco, California, 94133, United States
444 Columbus Avenue, San Francisco, California, 94133, United States
424 Clay Street, San Francisco, California, 94111, United States

House of Nan King: This is a MUST visit!

Wow, what can I say about this food? wow and double wow.
Its a chinese restarant situated on the outskirts of chinatown, lots of locals visit and thats always a good sign in my book. The atmosphere is great, and you may share a table with others, so if you don't like that kind of thing, then don't go. Room in the restarant is minimum, so the tables are almost on top of each other anyway. We went twice during our visit to SF, and had to hold ourselves back from going a third time, the food was so good.
It is a place where you get served quickly and leave quickly, not a place to linger, but thats on account of the amount of tables they have available and the amount of people waiting. both times we got in before the rush, the second time we were waiting outside for about 5 minutes, but 10minutes after we got seated, there was a queue down the whole side of the window.
Our neighbours the first time we went ordered mainly vegetarian dishes which looked really good and judging from their reactions, tasted good too, one of them ordered a soup also and it pretty much came out in a bucket, there was so much of it! She offered some to us but we had already eaten our full at that stage. On the other side of us were 2 newbies also, and they ordered hot tea to start off with, and they deifnately didnt get what they thought they ordered!! it was quite funny as they were a little on the posh side, and the look on her face was so funny as she tried to drink past the herbs in her tea! i would have recommended the tsingtao beer to them but they didnt look like beer drinkers...

Favorite Dish I totally recommend the Nanking famous sesame chicken with squash, and also the rice tower with chicken on a bed of crispy noodles.
So much so, that we ordered the same dishes the second time we visited!
The portions are big (for us, maybe not so big for Americans) and the first time we struggled to finish our meals. The second time, i think we had aclimatised somewhat to the big american food portions, and we managed to finish without problems.
We had Tsingtao beer with our meals and its gooood!

Sweensie's Profile Photo
Sweensie
Jun 26, 2008

House of Nanking: Chinese restaurant

Very popular with tourists and locals.

NOTES:
NO Reservations,
Cash Only,
Crowded.
Food safety score - 88 (out of 100).

Favorite Dish Recommended: Imperial Rolls, Hot and Sour Chicken or Beef in Garlic Sauce, and Tofu with Curry.

sunshine9689's Profile Photo
sunshine9689
Jan 21, 2008

Nan King: great fresh chinese

small very busy authentic chinese on the edge of Chinatown. On Kearny near Columbus. freshest chinese my wife and I have ever had and the bill for two was only $27. may have to wait a few minutes in line but it is worth it.

Favorite Dish Moo Shu Beef

bobfbell
Sep 27, 2007

House of Nanking: Mushu Everything!

Nothing to look at, cramped and crowded, marginal service, AWESOME FOOD. When you first walk in you'll think you've been duped by everyone - tiny metal tables, uncomfortable chairs all packed in right next to each other. However, the staff is charming (albiet a little rushed), the place is super clean and it doesn't smell greasy like typical Chinese restaurants. The owner is adorable (in his chic designer denims) and loves it when you let him order for you. If it's your first visit he'll take your menus from you and say "I'll take care of you" - and he always delivers. I hate standing in line for anything so we always go early for lunch or dinner.

Favorite Dish We love the Mu Shu Everything. Everything is so fresh and still has a crisp to it when served. Not oily or greasy either.

nocal2socal
Jul 18, 2007

Top 5 San Francisco Writers

atufft's Profile Photo

atufft

"Bagdad by the Bay"
Karnubawax's Profile Photo

Karnubawax

"San Francisco - My Favorie City - By Default"
Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Ewingjr98

"San Francisco - "It's a free-for-all up there!""
davequ's Profile Photo

davequ

"SFO ... a declassé love letter to the CITY"
Geisha_Girl's Profile Photo

Geisha_Girl

"San Francisco: Why this heart never leaves"
View Member

House of Nanking: Best Restaurant in Chinatown!

We went on a Thurs night and had to wait on line for about 15 min. The inside of the restaurant is a little dark, very crowded and cramped, but the quality of the food was amazing and most of the menu goes for UNDER $10!!! Even a bottle of beer goes for like $3.00 Definitely worth the wait.

Favorite Dish I had the Sesame Scallops...delicious and more than enough with the rice. Forgot the name of my wife's dish, but also delicious. We're from NYC, and better than most Chinese restaurants in NYC that charge $25-$30 for a plate.

gekko301's Profile Photo
gekko301
Mar 04, 2007

House of Nanking: Still a great bet for Chinese food

Looking through my SF restaurant tips, it's clear I hit just about every beaten path touristy joint in the city in one week and then some. I blame my hostess for that; having just moved to SF, she's been pretty keen on making sure she doesn't miss out on a single must-see-must-do San Franciscan experience.

It's all good. And of course we went to House of Nanking. I vaguely recall eating there years ago, and doing the wrong thing, which is ordering off the menu and having a decent experience. This time, we let the owner decide and enjoyed a delicious meal.

It's divey but clean. And the owner and our waiter were cheerful and accommodating, a pleasant departure from what I normally find in Chinese restaurant service. Maybe it's not "authentic Chinese" - it's somewhere between Chinese and Asian fusion. But I don't get that whole debate anyway; I'm sure in China they find what we call "authentic" laughable no matter where it's served.

As mentioned in an earlier tip, House of Nanking isn't as popular as it used to be, which for me is a relief because I really don't get waiting an hour to eat. Plus we got there at 3:30 on Saturday in, so we were seated immediately and didn't have to rush. And maybe that's why the service was so much better than expected.

Definitely go with a group (there were five of us) because there will be a lot of food and Chinese food just isn't as much fun alone. And be specific about the type of dishes ("chicken," "fried rice"), you want so you don't get more than you actually wanted.

As far as the prices are concerned, I think they are pretty cheap compared to most of San Francisco, but they are considered significantly higher than most Chinatown restaurants.

Favorite Dish I ordered the hot tea, which has bits of passion fruit (pictured). It was slightly sweet, so I liked it. One of my friends really didn't care for it, however, calling it "potpourri in a cup."

The only thing we did order from the menu were the onion pancakes in what I think was a honey sauce (pictured). Odd combination, but it's so good. I ended up getting the same thing a week later at Wokcano in LA, and I wonder if this is a trend among American/Asian-fusion restaurants. Okay, I don't know why there's a spoon in that photo, but I can see myself trying to ladle some of that sauce on my rice just because I would try something like that. And I have got to start remembering to take my photos before I start eating. :-P

We also ordered beef with aspargus, orange chicken (they'll laugh at your for ordering it mild, but they'll still do it) and potstickers - all pictured, all scrumptious. I just can't imagine ordering a bad dish at this restaurant.

emilesc's Profile Photo
emilesc
Oct 11, 2006

House of Nanking: Oder a cup of tea with berries floating in it.

Hole-in-the wall eatery on the edge of Chinatown. Order a cup of tea. There are these wonderful berries floating in it. Can't remember what they are. The general feel is chaotic, but it's cheap and a hopping place on a Friday night. Make reservations.

I try to order my meals with no-msg and sometimes if they aren't too snippy, you can get them dry-wok-fried.

cup0joe's Profile Photo
cup0joe
Dec 09, 2005

House of Nanking: perhaps not the most authentic Chinese food

The House of Nanking was probably a great hole-in-the-wall fifty years ago but it’s become a bit of a tourist trap. It’s a simple place with a good menu and the service the day we got there was quick. It was also full of non-Asians and that rarely is a good thing when you go to a Chinese restaurant. That said, the food was good and though a bit pricey for the style, I was glad to give it a try.

Favorite Dish We had wok-seared scallops on mushroom caps which were heavenly and mu shu pork, which was tasty as well. One gripe was there was no free tea offered, which is protocol for any decent Chinese restaurant in the States. We just had the two meals and the bill came to $24, a fairly high sum in Chinatown.

richiecdisc's Profile Photo
richiecdisc
Nov 15, 2005

Things to Do Near House of Nanking

Chinatown

Grant Avenue, between Bush Street and Broadway is the main tourist street of Chinatown. The avenue is lined with dragon-entwined lamp posts and buildings that borrow elements from Chinese...

North Beach

Beach Blanket Babylon Musical Revue Steve Silver's Beach Blanket Babylon was recommended to us by two friends independently. one currently living in San Francisco and the other had just returned from...

Transamerica Pyramid Center

Located off Montgomery Street on ground level is the visitor center and gift store. It includes historical displays Chronicling the Pyramid from Conception to its Importance to the Skyline today,...

Cathedral of St. Mary of the Assumption

In stark contrast to the traditional, old-world style of the nearby Grace Cathedral, the Cathedral of St Mary of the Assumption is built in an ultra-modern style. The design, by Pietro Belluschi and...

Nob Hill

Just in front of Grace Cathedral in Nob Hill stands Huntington Park. This was once the site of the mansion of Collis P. Huntington, who helped build the Central Pacific Railroad. The mansion was...

Beach Blanket Babylon

While staying in San Franscico they were advertising and I watched a mini documentary of Beach Blanket Babylon. I was amused at the costumes and the huge hats or wigs the actors have to wear and then...

Getting to House of Nanking