map
chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Bike the Golden Gate Bridge: San Francisco to Sausalito
"Starting at Fisherman’s Wharf in the morning or afternoon get outfitted with your bike and helmet receive a safety orientation and get an overview of the bike route to Sausalito and Tiburon in case you want to continue riding after your tour. Your bike comes fully equipped with a helmet lock bike bell
From $55.00

San Francisco Bike Rental
"Pick up your bike at Fisherman’s Wharf or Union Square. Receive a safety orientation from a staff member to get you comfortable on your new ride and familiarize yourself with the possible routes. Choose a comfort tandem electric or kid's bike each including a helmet bike lock bike bell and a rear rack and bungee cord for backpacks. City map and route layouts in hand
From $36.00

Private Segway Tour - Chinatown by Night
"Riding a Segway is intuitive like bike-riding but it takes a moment to learn how to operate it. You'll have 35-45 minutes of Segway training before beginning your tour so that you become comfortable riding the most innovative transportation of the millennium. You will practice until your group feels familiar with the Segway then be ready to tour San Francisco! Once you’re rolling you’ll follow your guide along the streets of San Francisco on a 3-hour tour with the ability to cover more distance than on a typical walking tour and plenty of opportunities to stop for photos and questions along the way. You’ll have more time than on the regular public tour
From $115.00

Scoma's Tips (12)

Scoma's: Scoma's - Hard to find but worth it

Scomas's is one of our favorite seafood restaurants and one we try to take any of our friends to on their visit to SF. In 1965, brothers Al and Joseph Scoma took over a six-table coffee shop for fishermen on the pier and eventually converted it to the current 360 seat operation. Using their mother's recipe collection as the basis of their menu, the business took off as people spread the news of their experience there.

In the beginning Joseph was the "face" of the restaurants greeting you and building up a client base. Al dealt with more of the day-to-day business. Today Al's son-in-law Tom Creedon has taken over the day-to-day operations.

As they say on their website: " Voted "Best Restaurant" five years running by WHERE Magazine readers, Scoma's Restaurant continues to be one of the most popular restaurants in the United States... " You can take this to also mean PACKED. If you don't have some time on your hand you might want to pass it up. Unless you are the mayor, seating is on a first come first serve basis. Dinner time can get quite backed up, but we tend to make it there for lunch and haven't had too bad of a wait.

Restaurants are probably the hardest thing to recommend since peoples taste differs so much. What one person finds outstanding another can find mediocre. My wife has to have the best taste buds of anyone I've ever know so I figure if both my wife and I agree than it has to be pretty good. We find the food very fresh, well prepared and tasty. The prices are pretty high, but given where it's located and the other restaurants around, it's about par. We tend to stay on the prix fixe menu which is a value in comparison to the other items on the menu.

The most surprising thing is the building that it's located in. It's the original Fishermen' s building so some think it's rundown. For myself I find it fitting in with the Warf setting and evidently many other people do also.

Favorite Dish I love the clamchowder and the seafood plater.

smschley's Profile Photo
smschley
Mar 26, 2005

Scoma's: Not enough bang for the buck

A poplular place with tourist since it is on Fisherman's Wharf. The prices are pretty high, about $30 for the main course. Don't go on a busy night or you will have to wait outside in the cold for about an hour, I prefer to squeeze up to the bar and wait for my name to be called.

The last time I went the waiter was friendly and kept coming around to see if we were ready to order appetizers. We didn't want any and gave him our orders. He seemed upset that we didn't want the appetizers so after he gave us the food we never saw him again. Our water glasses went empty. He finally came around and dropped the check at our table.

The service was not what you would expect for the price neither was the meal. There are many other places that you can dine in the area with better prices.

Favorite Dish The Martini was the only thing that I enjoyed.

altizachen's Profile Photo
altizachen
Sep 12, 2004

Scoma's: Over rated

To be truthful I did not like the food. I had salmon and found it to be dry with no flavor. One other visit for lunch I had a shrimp salad and found sand in the salad.

It is outrageously over priced.

The only good thing I can see about this place is the view.

poetjo's Profile Photo
poetjo
Jan 26, 2005

Scoma's: Aaaah...cioppino!

if you're at fisherman's wharf, there's nothing like ducking into this warm cozy space and breathing in the warm garlicky aromas of the italian fare at scoma's. they're at the end of pier 47 with great views of the harbor. whatever. you'll hardly notice the view after your first bite. this place takes very fresh seafood and cooks it to perfection. come here for the cioppino, lazy man's cioppino for the spoiled. it's a huge bowl of scallops, clams, fish, 1/2 a crab in a tomato based broth infused with garlic and spices. oh my!

Favorite Dish lazy man's cioppino

aycha
Jan 11, 2006

Sponsored Listings

Hotels Near Scoma's

580 Beach Street, San Francisco, California, 94133, United States
Hotels
495 Jefferson Street at Hyde, Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco, California, 94109, United States
1300 Columbus Avenue, San Francisco, California, 94133, United States
550 North Point Street, San Francisco, California, 94133, United States
555 North Point Street, San Francisco, California, 94133, United States
1250 Columbus Avenue, San Francisco, California, 94133, United States

Scoma's: Scoma's

Scoma's is a fairly well known seafood restaurant, with a location in Fisherman's Wharf and another just across the bay in Sausalito. It is a casual restaurant that draws large crowds, eager to consume clam chowder in sourdough bowls and fresh seafood.

I didn't go for the clam chowder, even though its the specialty. The fresh seafood plate, although a bit on the costly side, is a good sampling of shrimp, crab and oysters. The crab cakes were the best part of this meal too and I'd highly recommend them.

goingsolo's Profile Photo
goingsolo
Jul 08, 2005

Scoma's Restaurant: World Class Fresh Seafood!!!

This is the place for you if you like to be treated like royalty. Everything about this restaurant is amazing. The seafood is the freshest seafood that we have ever had the pleasure of consuming. The ambience was so romantic. The entire staff made us feel as if we were the only couple in the restaurant. The service, as well as the food was impeccable. This is one place that you do not want to miss. Every time we visit San Francisco this is the first place we visit.

Favorite Dish For an appetizer we ordered the Mixed Shellfish Platter for two. The platter included
Oysters and Clams on the Half Shell, Prawns and Dungeness Crab Legs. The entire platter was so fresh and each item was even better than the next. It was perfect to get our appetites begging for more. Each of us ordered soup as well. I had the Lobster Bisque and my husband enjoyed a bowl of Clam Chowder. Both soups were so creamy and delicious. Absolute bliss. For the main entree we both ordered the Aged Prime Filet Mignon and Lobster Tail. Neither of us have ever had such an amazingly tender cut of beef. It just melted in your mouth. The lobster was the largest lobster tail that either of us have ever encountered. It was so fresh and delectable. Dessert was a cup of coffee with a shot of Sambucca because that was all that we had room for. Our meal was extraordinary and we are always blissfully happy with our meals at Scoma's.

Monet1967
Oct 15, 2003

Scoma's: Great Seafood

There is a Scoma's on Fisherman's Wharf as well as one on a pier in Sausalito. This must be my mother's most favorite restaurant because it is mentioned each time that San Francisco is discussed. While it is a bit expensive, it does have some great seafood. Likely part of the premium price has to do with the location of these restaurants. They are right on the water.

sswagner's Profile Photo
sswagner
Jan 21, 2005

Too many to mention. I have...

Too many to mention. I have almost never had a bad meal in San Francisco. Eat anywhere in the North Beach neighborhood for fine Italian food. If you find yourself in Fishermans Wharf try Scouma's. Chinatown can be a little tricky to find a decent meal. I usually look for some place off the major thourough fares like Grant Ave. Try one of the side streets or even one of the office buildings. A good rule of thumb anywhere I travel, is find out where the local people eat and go there.

Livermore's Profile Photo
Livermore

Top 5 San Francisco Writers

atufft's Profile Photo

atufft

"Bagdad by the Bay"
Karnubawax's Profile Photo

Karnubawax

"San Francisco - My Favorie City - By Default"
Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Ewingjr98

"San Francisco - "It's a free-for-all up there!""
davequ's Profile Photo

davequ

"SFO ... a declassé love letter to the CITY"
Geisha_Girl's Profile Photo

Geisha_Girl

"San Francisco: Why this heart never leaves"
View Member

My favorite restaurant to dine...

My favorite restaurant to dine during lunch or dinner would be at Scomas, located in the Fisherman's Warf area off of Pier 47.
Price Range- $45-$65 per person

Favorite Dish Specialty Item-Lobster Tail and Filet Mignon
Appetizer-Scomas Crab Cakes

Keoni
Aug 25, 2002

Scoma's: Good food with a view

We chose to have brunch at Scoma’s. just because I thought it looked so pretty sitting on the water like that. Inside, the ambience was that of old-time charm. The view of the SF skyline from our table by the window was beautiful even on this cloudy day. Not having had enough of seafood, we feasted on crab cakes, oysters, scallops and prawns. The food was excellent and the service was gracious and friendly.

Favorite Dish The crab cakes and oysters were excellent!

gypsysoul73's Profile Photo
gypsysoul73
Feb 15, 2007

Scoma's: A tourist place - what do you expect ?

Even though a SF tradition, this place is so well known/advertised that it's just too crowded. You're not considered a valuable customer.
Food is good, by pricey. Other places in the area give you better value. Waiters seem to have the goal to fill every table 6 or more times a night. Once you got a table, service is fast but not personal. You just got done with your plate and you get your bill. And other customers wait in a long line to push for your table.

If you're interested in good seafood at the wharf , try the seafood aisle, There are many places who appreciate your busy more and have better service.

Favorite Dish I tried a clam chowder and grilled Snapper. Again. Food is good but not worth the price.

clausm
Aug 06, 2007

Scoma's: Scoma's

On a pier over the water at Fisherman's Wharf. The food is just outrageous. I have never had a bad dish here.

Favorite Dish Mahi-Mahi

american_tourister's Profile Photo
american_tourister

Things to Do Near Scoma's

Fisherman's Wharf

We were last here in 82, just around the corner that use to be a Travelodge that didn't have airconditioning back then, it is now called The Wharf Inn. What a transformation this area has taken on. ...

Red and White Fleet

The Red and White Fleet have been in service since 1892. It continues serving the Bay Area with cruises that offer such beautiful views of the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, Marin County, and more....

Cable Cars

Cable cars, fire engines, bookmobiles .... What would the city of San Francisco be without its cable cars? From police series such as 'The Streets of San Francisco' we already knew that the streets of...

The Buena Vista Cafe

This quaint restaurant is where Irish coffee was first served on American soil. It is up the hill from the wharf. The bartenders are very entertaining with the preparation and the result is delicious....

GoCar GPS Guided Tours

GoCar uses GPS to guide thru the city. It looks like a great and fun way to experience the sights and sounds of the whole city. It has an informative 49 mile drive that you can cruise down the...

Angel Island State Park

Established in 1975, Angel Island Association is a nonprofit organization working to facilitate the preservation, restoration and interpretation of historical and natural resources on the island,...

Getting to Scoma's