Map &

San Francisco Love Tour
From $48.00

Straits Cafe Tips (9)

Straits Cafe: A taste of Singapore in SF

We just spent a week in Singapore (the wife was on a business trip, I tagged along) and had some of the best food we had ever tasted; Chili Crab, Roti Murtabak, Hainan Chicken Rice, Laksa, Mee Goreng, the dreaded Durian(!!!) and so on...
We were craving the Chili crab a week later (as well as everthing else) and we remembered that this place is supposed to have great, authentic Sinaporean food. Well, it's not Singapore, but it's still pretty good. Good chicken rice, Laksa and Mee Goreng, but just ok chili crab. The crabs were smaller than what we got in Singapore. It wasn't crab season, so that may have something to do with it. Beautiful colonial setting made it look somewhat like Singapore, but without the 90 degree heat and 100% humidity, so that was nice. There are a couple more "Straits" in the bay area, but the one in SF has a more authentic feel about it...plus, it's the original.

Favorite Dish While the flavor of the Chili (and Black Pepper) crab was great, there just wasn't enough meat on them for me. Plus, and very important, there weren't any of the fried buns to soak up the gravy. They were quite the necessity in Singapore. The laksa was as good as overseas and so was the chicken rice. I enjoyed the satay, but it wasn't as good as the Satay Club over in Boat Quay.

kandl1's Profile Photo
kandl1
Apr 04, 2011

Straits Cafe: It's all true!

I love this spot. It is really laid back, stylish but not too too stylish, with great combinations of food and drink. The food (tastes to me) like a combination of Indian and Thai influences, and is oh-so-good. It is not expensive compared to other restaurants. And for the combination of good cuisine and atmosphere, you definitely get treated well for what you spend.

Favorite Dish Murtabak and samosas - what can I say, I love Indian and I love appetizers.

Ginger vanilla soda, mango lassi, and all their specialty drinks. Many of their drinks are truly original.

hairpin's Profile Photo
hairpin
Apr 04, 2011

The Straits Cafe Singapore...

The Straits Cafe Singapore Restaurant is a nice place with indoor palm trees. Located on Geary Boulevard in the Richmond District, it's away from Chinatown. It's more expensive but not extremely so. The food is good so it's not a 'just atmosphere' type restaurant.

They serve Laska, of course! It's a slightly spicy soup that people outside of Singapore have the misfortune of not eating very often or at all. The soup usually has shrimp, cockles, and noodles with a slight coconut taste.

Skylink's Profile Photo
Skylink
Feb 28, 2005

Welcome Hilmi !!

Yubert's good friend, Hilmi, joins us during dinner. A bit camera-shy.....or perhaps a bit VT shy??.... We finally convince Hilmi to pose for the cameras with his dessert.

Just think, Hilmi, your lovely Turkish smile will be seen by hundreds of thousands of curious folks around the world!!!!

When we talked of Yubert's *virtual* mis-behavin' here on VT, Hilmi adds this, "Yep! I'm not surprised!"

Yubert is not a myth, folks.....he is REAL!

Sponsored Listings

Hotels in San Francisco

Animas # 562 ap.3, / Campanario y Perseverancia. Centro Habana, 10200
1668 Market Street, San Francisco, California, 94102, United States
Hotels
1231 Market Street, (formerly Ramada Plaza), San Francisco, California, 94103, United States
50 8th St., San Francisco, California, 94103, United States
333 Fulton Street, San Francisco, California, 94102-4423, United States
465 Grove Street, San Francisco, California, 94102, United States

Dessert is served!: Is that a hint of MANGO I smell???

One of my favorite dishes at Straits is their fresh mango sorbet. It's the best thing to glide down your throat after a tummy-filling dinner!

They serve it atop a bed of merengue and diced mangos all around.

I made sure to offer Yubert a sample without having to ask, "Wanna taste my mango Yubert?" ;-))

If ya'll know YUBERT like I know YUBERT, that is a very helpful WARNINGS AND DANGER tip!

Jun 20, 2003

Cocktails at Straits Cafe: Singapore Sling! (Or is that a Taiwanese Fling?)

Yubert's *poison of choice* that evening was a Lemongrass Mojito. For ONCE, the Geisha Girl did not go for the mojito but to suit the cultural environment, I chose the RAFFLES PUNCH. A mixture of (non-evaporating) rhum, pineapple and mango juices...and loads of other yummy and mind-numbing nectars!

Straits Cafe: One Night in Singapore

Mouth-watering, delectable, enticing......melts in your mouth but leaves a BITE of fantastic spice!

(No YUBERT I am not referring to you!)

Our acclaimed VT resident, Yubert, made a stop in our fair city. After having just celebrated his birthday on Sunday, I welcomed Yubert to SF with a birthday dinner at Straits Cafe, a well-known Singaporean/Malaysian restaurant in the Richmond District of San Francisco. I had been there several times before and the food, still yet, never disappoints the taste buds!

Favorite Dish There are so many dishes on the menu that are worth the taste. Everything I have sampled so far has been YUM!

Their Chili or Black Pepper crab is a signature dish but we opted not to do the "cracked crab" scenario all over again with Yubert!

For starters, the Murtabak (roti prata filled with minced beef and a curry dipping sauce), and the Roti Prata (grilled Indian bread with curry dipping sauce) are all great dishes to wet your appetite!

Straits Cafe: Best Damn Martini's

The Indian/ Singaporean/ Malaysian Fusion Cuisine Menu can be slightly daunting, but the Martini's here are the nectar of the gods. The huge glass tanks filled with vodka have fresh fruits swimming at the bottom

Favorite Dish Noted chef Chris Yeo serves exceptional food at this quiet, comfortable neighborhood restaurant.

wrldtravler's Profile Photo

atufft

"Bagdad by the Bay"
Karnubawax's Profile Photo

Karnubawax

"San Francisco - My Favorie City - By Default"
Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Ewingjr98

"San Francisco - "It's a free-for-all up there!""
davequ's Profile Photo

davequ

"SFO ... a declassé love letter to the CITY"

Geisha_Girl

"San Francisco: Why this heart never leaves"
View Member

Singapore spiced flat-iron steak: Hot Beef!

The presentation was just as delicious as the dish itself. One of our courses was this Singapore spiced flat-iron steak with a spicy sweet and sour sauce.

Things To Do in San Francisco

Fort Mason

Part of the Golden Gate Recreation Area (not to be confused with Golden Gate Park), the Fort Mason Historic District is a pleasant green area to take a stroll through and has great views of the bay...

Crissy Field

The Former Airfield of the Presidio is now a mixed use area for the public now, Crissy Field is anchored by Marina Green on the east side, and Fort Point on the West. The park is home to a multitude...
Things to do

Ripley's Believe it or Not!

I was skeptical. Not much of an indoor explorer. But, I truly wanted to say that I had been to Ripley's in San Fran so we got the ticket and went for an adventure. I was not disappointed. It is one...

49 Mile Drive

In 1938, The San Francisco Downtown Association created the 49 Mile Scenic Drive to highlight the city's beauty and to promote it as a business and tourist destination, so the route began at City...

Market Street

What Street has given both history and Modernity in San Francisco than Market Street? Market Street is the back bone of San Francisco. To walk the length of the street is to travel throughout time and...

San Francisco City Hall

I guess my values are old fashioned, I do not understand the logic of prohibiting smoking in SF while allowing public defecation, harassment of visitors by the filthy vagrants, and visual pollution of...

Getting to San Francisco

Address

3300 Geary Blvd., San Francisco, CA 94118

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Restaurants. Help us improve our info!

Map