Map &

chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

San Francisco Love Tour
"San Francisco Sightseeing Tours aims to provide an enthusiastic and authentic way to get-to-know San Francisco. Hitch a ride for an experience that mixes both our love for modern day living and our memories of San Francisco in days gone by. Our 1970’s Vo complete with neon blue seats beaded curtains and shag carpets foster a Hippie vibe that celebrates Peace Love Freedom & Adventure. You will see breath-taking marvels such as the Golden Gate Bridge Lombard Street China Town The Castro and so much more.Travel down unique streets where other busses are forbidden. Visit the homes of San Francisco’s counter-culture icons such as The Grateful Dead
From $48.00

San Francisco City Tour
"The Golden Gate Bridge is an architectural masterpiece standing at a staggering 746 feet and spanning 8981 feet completed in 1937 it was the world’s longest suspension bridge until 1964. The captivating international orange color is a unique trait of the bridge.An historic icon of San Francisco the cable cars is the world's last manually operated cable car system. Running along California street the cable car connects Union Square to Fisherman’s Wharf. Due to limited time we are passing by only.Union Square located in downtown San Francisco is a large open plaza with a towering monument commemorating The May 1st
From $65.00

PIER 39 Attraction Pass
"Aquarium of the Bay:Aquarium of the Bay is a unique educational and entertainment facility dedicated to the rich and diverse aquatic life of the San Francisco Bay and surrounding waters. Walk through 300-feet of crystal clear tunnels where you past sea lions under the Golden Gate Bridge by Sausalito past Angel Island and around Alcatraz. The Escape from the Rock Cruise is an hour and a half bay cruise that sails under the Golden Gate Bridge and circles Alcatraz Island allowing you to see every angle of this mysterious island. You'll hear chilling accounts of harrowing escapes by notorious criminals as well as descriptions of the brutality of life on the island.San Francisco Hop-on Hop-off Tour:Get a North Beach
From $109.00

Straits Cafe Tips (9)

Straits Cafe: A taste of Singapore in SF

We just spent a week in Singapore (the wife was on a business trip, I tagged along) and had some of the best food we had ever tasted; Chili Crab, Roti Murtabak, Hainan Chicken Rice, Laksa, Mee Goreng, the dreaded Durian(!!!) and so on...
We were craving the Chili crab a week later (as well as everthing else) and we remembered that this place is supposed to have great, authentic Sinaporean food. Well, it's not Singapore, but it's still pretty good. Good chicken rice, Laksa and Mee Goreng, but just ok chili crab. The crabs were smaller than what we got in Singapore. It wasn't crab season, so that may have something to do with it. Beautiful colonial setting made it look somewhat like Singapore, but without the 90 degree heat and 100% humidity, so that was nice. There are a couple more "Straits" in the bay area, but the one in SF has a more authentic feel about it...plus, it's the original.

Favorite Dish While the flavor of the Chili (and Black Pepper) crab was great, there just wasn't enough meat on them for me. Plus, and very important, there weren't any of the fried buns to soak up the gravy. They were quite the necessity in Singapore. The laksa was as good as overseas and so was the chicken rice. I enjoyed the satay, but it wasn't as good as the Satay Club over in Boat Quay.

kandl1's Profile Photo
kandl1
Apr 04, 2011

Straits Cafe: It's all true!

I love this spot. It is really laid back, stylish but not too too stylish, with great combinations of food and drink. The food (tastes to me) like a combination of Indian and Thai influences, and is oh-so-good. It is not expensive compared to other restaurants. And for the combination of good cuisine and atmosphere, you definitely get treated well for what you spend.

Favorite Dish Murtabak and samosas - what can I say, I love Indian and I love appetizers.

Ginger vanilla soda, mango lassi, and all their specialty drinks. Many of their drinks are truly original.

hairpin's Profile Photo
hairpin
Apr 04, 2011

The Straits Cafe Singapore...

The Straits Cafe Singapore Restaurant is a nice place with indoor palm trees. Located on Geary Boulevard in the Richmond District, it's away from Chinatown. It's more expensive but not extremely so. The food is good so it's not a 'just atmosphere' type restaurant.

They serve Laska, of course! It's a slightly spicy soup that people outside of Singapore have the misfortune of not eating very often or at all. The soup usually has shrimp, cockles, and noodles with a slight coconut taste.

Skylink's Profile Photo
Skylink
Feb 28, 2005

Welcome Hilmi !!

Yubert's good friend, Hilmi, joins us during dinner. A bit camera-shy.....or perhaps a bit VT shy??.... We finally convince Hilmi to pose for the cameras with his dessert.

Just think, Hilmi, your lovely Turkish smile will be seen by hundreds of thousands of curious folks around the world!!!!

When we talked of Yubert's *virtual* mis-behavin' here on VT, Hilmi adds this, "Yep! I'm not surprised!"

Yubert is not a myth, folks.....he is REAL!

Sponsored Listings

Hotels Near San Francisco

Animas # 562 ap.3, / Campanario y Perseverancia. Centro Habana, 10200
1668 Market Street, San Francisco, California, 94102, United States
Hotels
1231 Market Street, (formerly Ramada Plaza), San Francisco, California, 94103, United States
50 8th St., San Francisco, California, 94103, United States
333 Fulton Street, San Francisco, California, 94102-4423, United States
465 Grove Street, San Francisco, California, 94102, United States

Dessert is served!: Is that a hint of MANGO I smell???

One of my favorite dishes at Straits is their fresh mango sorbet. It's the best thing to glide down your throat after a tummy-filling dinner!

They serve it atop a bed of merengue and diced mangos all around.

I made sure to offer Yubert a sample without having to ask, "Wanna taste my mango Yubert?" ;-))

If ya'll know YUBERT like I know YUBERT, that is a very helpful WARNINGS AND DANGER tip!

Jun 20, 2003

Cocktails at Straits Cafe: Singapore Sling! (Or is that a Taiwanese Fling?)

Yubert's *poison of choice* that evening was a Lemongrass Mojito. For ONCE, the Geisha Girl did not go for the mojito but to suit the cultural environment, I chose the RAFFLES PUNCH. A mixture of (non-evaporating) rhum, pineapple and mango juices...and loads of other yummy and mind-numbing nectars!

Straits Cafe: One Night in Singapore

Mouth-watering, delectable, enticing......melts in your mouth but leaves a BITE of fantastic spice!

(No YUBERT I am not referring to you!)

Our acclaimed VT resident, Yubert, made a stop in our fair city. After having just celebrated his birthday on Sunday, I welcomed Yubert to SF with a birthday dinner at Straits Cafe, a well-known Singaporean/Malaysian restaurant in the Richmond District of San Francisco. I had been there several times before and the food, still yet, never disappoints the taste buds!

Favorite Dish There are so many dishes on the menu that are worth the taste. Everything I have sampled so far has been YUM!

Their Chili or Black Pepper crab is a signature dish but we opted not to do the "cracked crab" scenario all over again with Yubert!

For starters, the Murtabak (roti prata filled with minced beef and a curry dipping sauce), and the Roti Prata (grilled Indian bread with curry dipping sauce) are all great dishes to wet your appetite!

Straits Cafe: Best Damn Martini's

The Indian/ Singaporean/ Malaysian Fusion Cuisine Menu can be slightly daunting, but the Martini's here are the nectar of the gods. The huge glass tanks filled with vodka have fresh fruits swimming at the bottom

Favorite Dish Noted chef Chris Yeo serves exceptional food at this quiet, comfortable neighborhood restaurant.

wrldtravler's Profile Photo

atufft

"Bagdad by the Bay"
Karnubawax's Profile Photo

Karnubawax

"San Francisco - My Favorie City - By Default"
Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Ewingjr98

"San Francisco - "It's a free-for-all up there!""
davequ's Profile Photo

davequ

"SFO ... a declassé love letter to the CITY"

Geisha_Girl

"San Francisco: Why this heart never leaves"
View Member

Singapore spiced flat-iron steak: Hot Beef!

The presentation was just as delicious as the dish itself. One of our courses was this Singapore spiced flat-iron steak with a spicy sweet and sour sauce.

Things to Do Near San Francisco

Barbary Coast Trail

The Barbary Coast Trail is a walking 3.8 mile trail using 170 bronze medallions and arrows embedded into the sidewalks connecting 20 historic sites. The southern end of the Barbary Coast Trail begins...

Fort Mason

Many people pass by the low water landscaped west side of the Fort Mason grounds, where there is also a wonderful expanse of lawn and great view of the Golden Gate Bridge. Here there are two (at...

Crissy Field

The Former Airfield of the Presidio is now a mixed use area for the public now, Crissy Field is anchored by Marina Green on the east side, and Fort Point on the West. The park is home to a multitude...
Things to Do

Ripley's Believe it or Not!

I was skeptical. Not much of an indoor explorer. But, I truly wanted to say that I had been to Ripley's in San Fran so we got the ticket and went for an adventure. I was not disappointed. It is one...

49 Mile Drive

In 1938, The San Francisco Downtown Association created the 49 Mile Scenic Drive to highlight the city's beauty and to promote it as a business and tourist destination, so the route began at City...

Market Street

What Street has given both history and Modernity in San Francisco than Market Street? Market Street is the back bone of San Francisco. To walk the length of the street is to travel throughout time and...

Getting to San Francisco

Address

3300 Geary Blvd., San Francisco, CA 94118

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Restaurants. Help us improve our info!

Map