Map &

San Francisco Vista Grande Helicopter Tour
From $250.00

Tadich Grill Tips (8)

Tadich Grill: Excellent Lunch

I'm sure dinner is wonderful too, but we always end up after financial district site walks eating delicious business lunches at Tadich.

Great place to go in SF.

Favorite Dish Everyone always gets seafood / daily special, and it is consistently outstanding,
but my favorite is when they have corned beef & cabbage with french bread (Thursdays).

davequ's Profile Photo
Mar 24, 2015

Tadich Grill: The Cioppino's A {Literal} Punch In The Gut

My best friend and I took a foodie road trip to San Francisco this past July, and the first stop was to Tadich Grill. We'd seen the restaurant featured on The Originals with Emeril a few weeks earlier and were left salivated at images of the cioppino and oyster and bacon frittata. When we stepped into the restaurant, we were smack in the middle of the dinner rush. So after ordering a drink from the bartender, we found a place along the wall to hang out until a table opened up. Narrow walkway there, but we made do. In the end, we found two spots vacated at the counter, so we sat down there. For dinner, my friend went with the cioppino and I chose the frittata. I have to say, I don't eat much seafood, but the frittata was excellent! If I ever go there again (which I probably won't - see below), I'd certainly get that. I can see why prisoners at Alcatraz ordered that as their last meal!

Anyways, on to why I won't be going back to Tadich... my friend got food poisoning! Half our weekend was spent with him in bed, recovering from the cioppino! We think maybe the sole wasn't quite as fresh as it should have been. When we got back home, my friend mentioned to another friend about the cioppino, and THIS FRIEND also had a food poisoning experience with the cioppino at Tadich!

Favorite Dish The bacon and oyster frittata is absolutely amazing! I have to say, I really don't eat seafood, but I decided to branch out a little of my comfort zone when I saw the dish cooked on tv. It was absolutely the perfect portion!

whatthefolk's Profile Photo
Oct 28, 2011

Tadich Grill: San Francisco's Oldest

When we go on trips, I probably tend to exert more of my will on where we will eat out on vacation and sometimes that hasn't gone over well with Sue. Although she may not say so while we are on the trip, sometimes she will mention that she really wanted to try such and such place and she wished we had gone there. This when we are back home and I can't do anything about that. This time around I told her to pick the restaurants she wanted to go to and I would only veto, if I really thought it wasn't a good idea.

After we finished our very good Financial District Walking Tour with Rick Evans (tip is already written here) at about 1:15 p.m. we had a few hours until we were going to take the Alcatraz Evening Tour. This was one of the restaurants Sue had picked and since it was in the Financial District a couple of blocks from where we were this was our afternoon choice.

Favorite Dish As the title of this tip says, it is San Francisco's oldest restaurant, having existed in some form or fashion since 1849. Now if you remember your California history that year should ring a bell. The California Gold Rush started in 1849 and the local American football team in the area is named the 49ers.

As you can see from the first and third pictures (come on in and take a look) here this is a more button down area of San Francisco. The clientele is from the financial district for the most part with a number of tourist (like us) stopping in. The wait staff is entirely male which is very old style and similar to a restaurant in Chicago called Berghoff's.

We both ordered tea and each of us ordered a sea food dish (pictures 4 and 5). Picture 2 is the chef preparing an order. Sue had the grilled Mediteranian Sea Bass complete with head and bones (normally everything we have fish is fillet, so Sue had to work some for her lunch). I had the fresh turbot stuffed with crab and bay shrimp a la newburg. Each dish came with brussel sprouts and a bowl of cut fresh lemons.

I debated whether to give this a 3 or 4 star rating (I reserve my 5 stars for places I would repeatedly go back to) finally deciding it was closer to a 3 (satisfied) then a 4 (very satisfied). The primary reason was the value for the meal served. The food was very good but the price was a little steep.

By the time we finished our meal it was getting close to 3:00 p.m. Having a late lunch turned out to be a blessing in disguise. By the time we finished our Alcatraz Tour, we were getting kind of exhausted so we decided to just go back to our hotel, up to the concierage lounge and just have snacks and desserts for dinner.

riorich55's Profile Photo
Mar 06, 2011

Tadich Grill & Forbes Island: Two Kitchy Fun Places to Eat in San Franciso

I'd like to add something to one of acprincess' recommendations: Tadich Grill is not only a locals' spot with excellent food (especially seafood), but it is also the oldest restaurant in the West. It's been operating in one form or another (it started out as a coffee stand) since the Gold Rush in 1849. I'd say, "Go, just to be able to say you've been there" and enjoy a great meal at the same time.

Also, just for fun, there's Forbes Island, which is a floating restaurant that looks like an island with bar and dining rooms under the water. You'll be transported to the island via pontoon boat and the food is pretty good classic French. Another place it's fun to tell everyone about when you get back home!

Hope this helps!

CelticSu's Profile Photo
Aug 18, 2008
Sponsored Listings

Hotels Near Tadich Grill

333 Battery Street, (Formerly Park Hyatt), San Francisco, California, 94111, United States
222 Sansome Street, San Francisco, California, 94104, United States
424 Clay Street, San Francisco, California, 94111, United States
5 Embarcadero Center, San Francisco, California, 94111, United States
500 California Street, San Francisco, California, 94104, United States
8 Mission Street, San Francisco, California, 94105, United States

Tadich Grill: Tadich Grill has GREAT food!

During a wonderful visit to San Francisco mid-February '08, this restaurant was recommended by a 20+ year resident as "a great place to eat" I was totally taken by this dining experience. It is in downtown SF, has been there literally since 1849 in continuous operation I'm thinking. The decor speaks of this, beautifully carved woodwork on the walls, etc. give this place a great ambiance. It is very "busy" you walk into this restaurant and its like "you are on your own".... you line up along the wall behind this very long bar where people are dining and then if you want a table, you wait for a table. The minute you find a seat at the bar, the service is great (at least for me it was). The waiter (I saw no waitresses, only waiters, very fast paced and fun) is right there one-on-one to serve you. I asked which seafood was local, he gladly told me "Petrale sole" and I said that is what I want. : ) It was so delicious, FRESH, it was amazing. the Petrale Sole was served on this large platter with perfectly done crisply cooked vegetable medley of green beans, carrots, and teeny bit of fresh asparagus, and "French fried potatoes" that were just golden, few, and absolutely delicious. The tartar sauce was the best I've tasted. I can't say enough about that fresh petrale sole that I was served! : ) A gentleman to the left of me at the bar had a seafood medley that looked heavenly and the aroma was indescribable. Its just a great restaurant. You'll be glad that you waited. Love, Texas

Favorite Dish Please read what I just wrote in #4. : )

Feb 22, 2008

Tadich Grill: San Francisco Institution

Most people will run to any of the touristy eateries at Fisherman's Wharf - but if you want the real McCoy, then you'll make it a point to eat at the Tadich Grill.

It's a true seafood institution, having been in continuous operation since 1849 (during the California Gold Rush days), and is still family owned. It's amazing to think that what was once first established as a small coffee stand by three Croatian immigrants, is now one of San Francisco's landmark restaurants.

Besides your standard (and very delicious) sourdough bread, you'll find a varied menu offering specials and a large selection of fresh seafood, prepared practically any way you want.

Open for lunch and dinner, Monday through Saturdays.

No reservations.

jadedmuse's Profile Photo
Dec 12, 2005

Tadich Grill: The CIOPPINO is to DIE FOR

You may have to wait as reservations are not accepted, but it is well worth it. The good and bad of the wait is that the customers line up along a long bar where diners are enjoying the cuisine. are overwhelmed with so many visual and sensual choices that making one choice once you are seated is a challenge. My suggestion.....share! :D

Favorite Dish The CIOPPINO! I'm sure the rest is spectacular. Seafood saled was fresher than fresh too. Wente Chardonnay was delightful and the Drake Blonde on tap.....very nice indeed.

baldridged's Profile Photo
Nov 06, 2004

Tadich Grill: Big Portions!

Tadich's has an old restaurant ambience. A big bar dominates inside. The clientele is chatty and friendly. Informal and warm.

Favorite Dish Clam chowder and seafood pasta. Really good! But watch out for the portions because they're huge.

D._Pepper's Profile Photo
Apr 17, 2003

Top 5 San Francisco Writers

atufft's Profile Photo

"Bagdad by the Bay"
Karnubawax's Profile Photo

"San Francisco - My Favorie City - By Default"
Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

"San Francisco - "It's a free-for-all up there!""
davequ's Profile Photo

"SFO ... a declassé love letter to the CITY"
Geisha_Girl's Profile Photo

"San Francisco: Why this heart never leaves"

Things To Do Near Tadich Grill

Transamerica Pyramid Center

The biggest building in San Francisco is also the strangest. Remembering the regulations and precautions against earthquakes it impresses to imagine what was done in that building. Built in 1972...

Farmers Market

Most people will know of the main farmer's market near the ferry port in Embarcardo. However, slightly less known, more obscure but therefore more genuine is the "Heart of the City" farmer's market....

Cathedral of St. Mary of the Assumption

In stark contrast to the traditional, old-world style of the nearby Grace Cathedral, the Cathedral of St Mary of the Assumption is built in an ultra-modern style. The design, by Pietro Belluschi and...

Ferry Plaza Farmer's Market

It opening in 1898 where the 1875 wooden Ferry House stood, and became the transportation focal point for anyone arriving by train from the East, as well as from all the East Bay and Marin residents...

The Embarcadero -

However, after the completion of the Bay Bridge and the rapid decline of ferries and the Ferry Building, the neighborhood fell into decline. The transition to container shipping, which moved most...

Ferry Building Market Place

We travelled to the Ferry Building on the wonderful f-line historical trams. Great fun! The Ferry Building first opened in 1898. However, for years it was neglected and hidden behind an elevated...

Getting to Tadich Grill