Map &

Been here?
Rate it
chevron_left

chevron_right

The Stinking Rose Tips (36)

The Stinking Rose: garlic wine sounds good, tastes bad!

the stinkin rose was the best place we ate at in all of san francisco. the whole "garlic theme" of this restaurant might scare off the timid, but its worth the 48 hrs of bad breath afterwards.

Favorite Dish the garlic clove appettizer is a MUST, its a wonder that no one else has copied this wonderful idea. at first i was hesitant to putting an entire garlic clove in my mouth, but when the 1st i put on my roll practically melted, i tossed caution to the wind and gobbled up as much as i could before i ran out of bread. i had the 40 clove garlic chicken which came with a side of the garlic mashed potatos, it was great. she had the garlic and chicken pizza which was on an oblong shaped dough, also highly recommended. and to top it all off, the garlic ice cream was not anywhere near as bad as i thought it would be.. another highly recommended item on the menu... hopefully this restaurant will make it all the way out to the east coast, im gonna try to make the sauteed garlic for dinner, wish me luck

myproshop
Oct 24, 2006

The Stinking Rose: Eat plenty of parsley after your meal

I live in Los Angeles, and The Stinking Rose is one of my favorite restaurants. I have never had any desire to go to the one in San Francisco because the line is usually out the door. And frankly, with the same restaurant available in my hometown, I felt like I'd be traveling overseas and eating at McDonald's; why bother?

But my hostess, who is also from LA, was all hyped up to try the SF version. And she was paying, so who was I to argue? Hmmm... I kind of like the LA one better for atmosphere. The LA one is bigger, and the entrance is kind of tucked away so you don't feel like the bustling streets are right there in your face while you're eating, so I think it lends itself to a more romantic atmosphere. And I don't even want to think of what parking's like at the SF one, but the parking lot in LA is huge.

Nevertheless, I had a fun time. If you love garlic, you can't go wrong with either restaurant. Here's a tip, though: we had dinner at 6pm on a weekday, so we beat the rush.

Favorite Dish I had the popular 40-garlic chicken, which was pretty good, not fantastic. A bit on the dry side and other than the garlic, I can't say it was as flavorful as I would have liked. It needed some other kind of spice to cut through the blandness. I did, however, enjoy the chardonnay the waiter recommended.

Normally, I get the gnocchi in LA, which is probably a safe bet in SF as well. And you should try the garlic ice cream, really. The garlic adds a bit of tang, but it's doesn't overwhelm the sweetness. And of course, don't even think of starting your meal without the an order of oven-roasted spreadable garlic cloves for your bread.

So here's the main tip: after the meal, ask your waiter for a small bowl of chopped parsley and a spoon (pictured). You'll get it free of charge (or you should anyway). In LA, they never bat an eye - in fact they were the ones who suggested I get the chopped bowl when I once requested a few sprigs years ago. In SF, the waiter seemed a bit taken aback, but the chef knew what I wanted, because out came the parsley with two spoons for my friend and me.

It's rough going at first - chopping the parsley really brings out the flavor, and it is STRONG. But it's so worth it - it cuts through the bad breath and it keeps the garlic from reeking from your pores. And it's also been known to reduce any issues one might have with, um, gaseousness, shall we say?

emilesc's Profile Photo
emilesc
Oct 11, 2006

The Stinking Rose: Whew! Break out the breath mints baby!

An okay restaurant in my opinion. More of a novelty and a tourist trap than a serious dining experience. Service was nothing special and our waiter was barely ever at our table. The food was not overly spectacular. You won't miss anything if you don't go here in my opinion.

RblWthACoz
Aug 04, 2006

The Stinking Rose: Stinking Rose is fabulous

The atmosphere in this restaurant is what gives it its charm. Everything tastes and smells wonderful! It is also one of the only places that you can order rabbit if you're into something different. On the right side of the restaurant are these sort of tent things that can seat up to four people but it is really intimate for couples.

JeanniesWorld's Profile Photo

661 Broadway, San Francisco, California, 94133, United States
444 Columbus Avenue, San Francisco, California, 94133, United States
494 Broadway, San Francisco, California, 94133-4515, United States
Hotels
935 Kearny Street, (formerly St. Paul Hotel), San Francisco, California, 94133, United States
Hotels
750 Kearny Street, (Formerly "Holiday Inn"), San Francisco, California, 94108, United States
424 Clay Street, San Francisco, California, 94111, United States

The Stinking Rose: The Stinking Rose

A friend recommended this restaurant to me and I would highly pass on the recommendation. My sister and I went to this eclectic and unique Italian restaurant. We split a great bottle of reasonably priced wine and ate a wonderful dinner. There is a wide variety of food all infused with garlic. There is garlic, garlic and more garlic. A little tipsy at the end of the night we caught a taxi back to our hotel. We hoped in the back the the driver said, let me guess you all just ate at The Stinking Rose!

Fun4you's Profile Photo
Fun4you
Mar 29, 2006

The Stinking Rose: You like garlic? Come here

This place's specialty is the wonderful stinking rose, the bulb of garlic. You can get it for appetizers, for meals and even for dessert!

Favorite Dish I had the garlic pasta. It was delicious and they do give you a large portion. I enjoyed it a lot. I was so full that I didnt have time to try the garlic ice cream.

shadowmon's Profile Photo
shadowmon
Feb 22, 2006

The Stinking Rose: Garlic ice-cream!!!

To round off our garlic meal, we decided to try the garlic ice-cream. On first taste, it tasted OK, but then you can really taste the garlic. We couldn't finish it, even though we were sharing one portion amongst the three of us.

UKDaisy's Profile Photo
UKDaisy
Jan 05, 2006

The Stinking Rose: If you love garlic...

Cute place.. went there for lunch... they should have a lunch menu... portions are on the small side for the price... but the rolls and garlic spread they start you off with fill you fast! (and the bread and spread alone were worth the trip!)

Favorite Dish BBQ chicken and garlic pizza! 5 stars

VWvaporChick's Profile Photo
VWvaporChick
Jan 04, 2006

Top 5 San Francisco Writers

atufft's Profile Photo
"Bagdad by the Bay"
Karnubawax's Profile Photo
"San Francisco - My Favorie City - By Default"
Ewingjr98's Profile Photo
"San Francisco - "It's a free-for-all up there!""
davequ's Profile Photo
"SFO ... a declassé love letter to the CITY"
Geisha_Girl's Profile Photo
"San Francisco: Why this heart never leaves"
View Member

The Stinking Rose: Don't bother!

I think this place is tourist trap. Every time I have eaten at this restaurant (even at the Los Angeles location--hoping it would be different) the food had been mediocre, at best. The food is often undercooked and just plain-- bad!

karin1972's Profile Photo
karin1972
Jun 15, 2005

Stinking Rose: Hearty Italian

Romantic and cozy. Super nice food.

V. friendly waitresses, nice ambience, boisterous restaurant & crowd-pleasing.

Garlics are eveywhere.

Try the garlic ice cream there. The bagna calda is amazing too, as is the lasagna.

More recommendations: 40-clove chicken, garlic-encrusted baby back ribs and Italian garlic meat loaf

Tips? Bring along your Breath Mints!

Sweeboon's Profile Photo
Sweeboon
Jun 08, 2005

The Stinking Rose: A must for garlic-lovers!

We went here on a whim, had heard nothing about it beforehand. WOW! Lovers of garlic and good food should definitely make a stop here. It was packed and we arrived just in time to be seated so I didn't get much time to look around. We sat upstairs and outside on a tiny patio (not much of a view, but great all the same).

As their website indicates, their Bagna Calda is an appetizer must and is their signature dish. Oven roasted garlic cloves in extra virgin olive oil and butter with a hint of anchovy, served in a piping hot iron skillet. It was yummy!

Our meals were also tasty and we were soooo full!

smilewithme
Aug 29, 2004

The Stinking Rose: If Garlic is your name, Stinking Rose is your Game

Neither Olya nor I have been to SF before, so we had no idea where is there good food to be found. Luckily our hotel room had a city guide where The Stinking Rose advertized. Stinking Rose is a restaurant dedicated to GARLIC. If you are as big of a garlic as we are, you will love this place. While waiting for your table you will be able to enjoy a drink at the bar which is decorated with... yes you guessed it, GARLIC. You can even order a shot ($1) with pickled garlic to go with your drink. If you preffer an intimate setting ask to be seated in the back where they have booths, and get ready to consume some "stinky" food.

Favorite Dish We ordered an appetizer of roasted garlic, which was served with rolls. I must say it was a great start for what was about to come. For an Entree we ordered one order of crad legs which serves 2 people (about 2-3lbs) in garlic sauce. The crab was outstanding. The dinner took about 2 hours and by the time we finished the crab the was no room for desert. But in case you were wondering, they do have garlic icecream. I am not sure I can handle that much garlic. Maybe next time.

Slonyara's Profile Photo
Slonyara
Aug 18, 2004

Things To Do Near The Stinking Rose

Things to do
Beach Blanket Babylon Musical Revue Steve Silver's Beach Blanket Babylon was recommended to us by two friends independently. one currently living in San Francisco and the other had just returned from...
Things to do
San Francisco Chinatown is the largest Chinatown outside of Asia . It is also the oldest Chinatown in North America. A trip to SF isn't complete without a visit to Chinatown and its array of shops,...
Things to do
There's a time capsule in Washington Square Park at the base of the Benjamin Franklin Monument. Initially placed in 1879, but the original contents were dug up in 1979. New materials replaced them for...
Things to do
The biggest building in San Francisco is also the strangest. Remembering the regulations and precautions against earthquakes it impresses to imagine what was done in that building. Built in 1972...
Things to do
The thing I personally liked most about the Cable Car Museum was the old black and white photos of San Francisco which adorned its walls. These showed early cable cars and the devastation caused by...
Things to do
Columbus Avenue is the main street going through North Beach. It reminds me very much of Little Italy in NYC, since the 1980's, due to a decrease in emigration from Italy and gentrification, the...

Getting to The Stinking Rose