Map &

San Francisco Golden Gate Seaplane Tour
From $179.00

Sausalito Tips (40)

Drive to Sausalito

Sausalito is a cute town on the water. It's an easy drive across the Golden Gate Bridge or you can take the Ferry. You can do a little shopping, grab something to eat and catch amazing views of the city across the bay. Bridgeway is a beautiful walk along the water and if you're lucky you can find Bill Dan "the rock guy" balancing rocks into zen sculptures.

My favorite place is called Hamburgers (on Bridgeway) which has the absolute best hamburgers and fries!

There are mostly resaurants and shops geared toward tourists but it's a pretty town. There is something quiet and peaceful about it. And it's usually sunny so it's a good place to get a break from the San Francisco fog.

newsphotogirl's Profile Photo
Jun 16, 2006

One of my favorite areas in the Bay Area

Marin County (Sausalito and Tiburon are the most frequented towns for tourists) is definitely worth a trip for tourists visiting San Francisco. It's only 30 minutes away by ferry, and easily accessible by car via the Golden Gate Bridge. Sausalito and Tiburon are beautiful towns surrounded by the San Francisco Bay. They are both extremely affluent, and the houses are beautifully designed. Both towns are very green, the air fresh, and have many beautiful boats docked around them. Sausalito is quaint and charming with its small little shops, and has delightful architecture in their "downtown" area. Tiburon, however, is less touristed - but is equally beautiful. The island part of Tiburon, known as Belvedere-Tiburon, reminds me of Switzerland with its picturesque homes, greenery, and beautiful views of the water. Both towns have excellent views of San Francisco, as they are located directly across the Bay.

USCgirlie's Profile Photo
Mar 22, 2006

Ferry ride over to Sausalito and see the bay

The ferry ride from the Ferry Bldg in San Francisco to Sausalito makes for a great 1/2 day or day trip. The Ferry Building is a great place to pick up some picnic food for the trip over or to have a drink after you return from Sausalito. Great views of the bay and the bridges plus a cute, artsy town for browsing or a scenic bike ride.

Feb 17, 2006

Sausalito, is a delighted place. Always I dreamed to know, and the day arrived so desired. Traveling through its streets, I enjoyed and I remained really amazed of the beauty of the place. The commerce of antiques, the restaurants, the beautiful houses built on the hills, really would not know to say that is what more i liked of Sausalito. Every Sausalito is beautiful, is the place that would elect to live the remainder of my life

Graxie's Profile Photo

62 Princess Street, Sausalito, California, 94965, United States
601 Murray Circle, Sausalito, California, 94965, United States
1651 Tiburon Blvd., Tiburon, California, 94920, United States

Whale Watching !

On the north side of the Golden Gate Bridge is its namesake National Recreational Area. This is a very interesting landscape of mostly treeless hills overlooking the waves of the Pacific Ocean. The area was formerly a WW2 military base used as part of the coastal defense system for San Francisco Harbour. As a result, there are a number of old military buildings down by Rodeo Beach and a network of paved roads and trails weaving through the hills to some of the gun emplacement locations. Due to the unstable nature of the soil in this area, most of the hillside road system is blocked to traffic - leaving it as a very convenient walking route! While we were elevated on the trail, I decided to concentrate on the inshore ocean to see if there were any whales about (since I had seen them in a similar situation while in Nova Scotia, Canada). Sure enough, after a few minutes of eye-balling for disturbances on the water surface, I spotted a spout as a whale surfaced for air (I was glad that I had my bird-watching binoculars with me for a close-up look!). It was not long before we were able to observe the pod making its way slowly north along the shore, coming up for air every few minutes, not far from the surfing activity on Rodeo Beach! It was an unexpected bonus on our hike!

Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
Nov 16, 2005

We decided to skip the fog and cool temperatures and take the ferry to Sausalito one day. It's amazing how San Francisco is cloaked in fog and the mist falls away as you cross the water near Alcatraz, and head towards Marin County.

If you want to see the Ferry Building as well, just combine it with a trip to Sausalito, as you can catch the Golden Gate Ferry from the Ferry Building. We visited the farmer's market in the morning, had lunch at the Ferry Building, and caught the afternoon ferry to Sausalito.

The main reason to go to Sausalito is to get some sun, and look at art galleries and unique crafts. I would probably categorize it as a girl's side trip, though my husband did find enough to not get bored. I found the shopping was okay though pretty touristy, with some albeit unique shops and galleries thrown in.

One of Sausalito's saving graces is some very nice views if you walk along the waterfront. If you don't find time to go to Sausalito, you are not missing out on a life-changing experience.

madamx's Profile Photo
Aug 15, 2005

Take the Ferry to Sausalito

A fun way to get a good view of the city is to take the Ferry to Sausalito. You'll pass by Alcatraz on the way, and get nice views of the Bay and Golden Gate bridges. The day I did this a blimp was flying overhead, which made it even more interesting.

Sausalito is a quaint town where you can have lunch, look back at SF, and do a little shopping. There are probably more activities on Sausalito, but this was all we had time for on our brief visit.

Sunshine64's Profile Photo
Jul 21, 2005

Catch a Ferry

Catch a ferry to Sauselito and enjoy the day. It's a cute place with lots of shops and restaurants. Ferries come about every hour, and it takes about 30 minutes point to point. It's $12 for a round trip ferry ride from the Ferry Plaza.

HELEN's Profile Photo
Jun 01, 2005

Top 5 San Francisco Writers

atufft's Profile Photo

"Bagdad by the Bay"
Karnubawax's Profile Photo

"San Francisco - My Favorie City - By Default"
Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

"San Francisco - "It's a free-for-all up there!""
davequ's Profile Photo

"SFO ... a declassé love letter to the CITY"
Geisha_Girl's Profile Photo

"San Francisco: Why this heart never leaves"
View Member

Trendy shopping and wonderful views

We did Sausalito as part of a morning tour and had about and hour and half in the town. It was nice to wander around the boutique shops and art galleries.

There are some good local places to get a drink or snack.

It's a high budget area but is great for window shopping. And the views of San Francisco across the Bay are wonderful on a clear day.

binkieloo's Profile Photo
May 10, 2005

Is a nice little town to go to and visit for the day. Do not do a tour, go there on your own. You can take the bus. Near by is the Exploratorium, you'll notice the Taj Mahal in the marina, and unique shops to browse in not to buy.

iam1wthee's Profile Photo
Nov 10, 2004

A Day in Sausalito - Highly Recommended

I would highly recommend a day trip to Sausalito. We visited Sausalito as part of a half day tour along with Muir Woods, through Grayline Tours. We really enjoyed Sausalito but felt that we could have spent the whole day there.

We later found out that you could go on the tour to Muir Woods and Sausalito and then catch a ferry back to San Francisco - giving us more time to spend there. The ferry is an extra $5.00 each one way. Or you could just catch a ferry there and back if you don't fancy Muir Woods.

Threre are lots of lovely shops to visit and plenty of places to eat, some of which have great views across the bay.

If you do book the trip through Grayline Tours (situated at Fisherman's Wharf) there is a hotel pick up and drop off service available on request.

mikeukw's Profile Photo
Nov 07, 2004

Sausalito main street

The Marine county and Sasulito is a very pretty waterfront are in San Francisco. It has some very Chic shopping boutiques, cafe's and restaurants.

I enjoyed the stroll along the waterfront and spend few hours hanging around the cafe's people watching.

The View of the bay from here are awsome but most time that I was there it was foggy.

XKuger's Profile Photo
Jul 19, 2004

Things To Do Near Sausalito

Golden Gate Bridge

About 79 years ago, on 27 May 1937, some 200,000 spectators gathered near the entrance of the San Francisco Bay for the opening of one of the technological wonders of modern times—the Golden Gate...

Fort Point

Fort Point is interestingly located right underneath the Golden Gate Bridge. Fort Point was built by the U.S. army around 1853, shortly before the American Civil War. Its purpose was to defend San...

The Presidio of San Francisco

We walked from the Main Post on the Presidio to a lovely old chapel, then visited the national cemetery. This is the final resting place for the nation's military veterans and their families. 30,000...
Things to Do

It's a must do, in San Francisco - the visit to Alcatraz. For those acquainted to its history, the audio tour hits the purpose of, more than describing the place, to create a vivid sense of the old...
Things to Do

Exploratorium let me down once again, the beautiful sunny prediction for our stay in San Francisco was true for Thursday and Friday but early Saturday morning there was a huge thunderstorm and it...

Palace of Fine Arts

We got to the Palace of Fine Arts by number 28 bus. The Palace of Fine Arts was constructed for the 1915 Panama-Pacific Exposition. Its purpose was, and indeed is, to house art exhibitions. It was...

Getting to Sausalito

Marin County

We don't yet have hours for this Things to Do. Help us improve our info!