The founder of Sonoma built this house in 1847. General Vallejo was the commander of the local garrison that protected the mission. He lived here for over 35 years until his death in 1890. the property now belongs to the state of California.
The house of Captain Salvador Vallejo, a local Mexican official and soldier, and brother of Mariano Vallejo, still stands facing the west side of the plaza and is one of the major landmarks of downtown Sonoma. It's a large adobe house built in the late 1830s and early 1840s.