Map &

chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

2-Day Yosemite National Park Winter Tour from San Francisco
"Immerse yourself in the beauty and solitude of Yosemite National Park in the winter with this 2-day tour from San Francisco. Throughout your trip your guide will teach you about the history of Yosemite and give you great advice on how to get the most out of your time in the park.""""Escape to the snow-capped mountains of Yosemite National Park from San Francisco for two full days. Take a coach tour of Yosemite Valley with your guide and enjoy various activities during your free time such as hiking and snowshoeing. Soak in views o Yosemite is said to be best in the winter months!Likely to Sell Out: Rooms at the Yosemite Lodge often sell out months in advance. Reserve early to avoid disappointment"title=Highlights&1=2-day+winter+tour+of+Yosemite+National+Park+from+San+Francisco&2=Take+a+coach+tour+of+spectacular+Yosemite+Valley+and+enjoy+views+of+famous+sites+such+as+Half+Dome&3=Stay+overnight+at+the+cozy+Yosemite+Lodge+at+the+Falls&4=Choose+from+a2 days / 1 night
From $473.00

Yosemite In A Day Tour from San Francisco
"The tour begins with a pick-up at your hotel or in front of The Parc 55 Hotel in one of our comfortable vans. We will then drive east across the San Francisco Bay Bridge with views of San Francisco Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge. We will continue on through the Central Valley (San Joaquin Valley) of California. The Central Valley is the largest food growing region in the United States. We will drive past almond walnut cherry and other fruit and nut orchards. After making a quick stop for snacks we will continue on into the Sierra Nevada foothills and California’s gold country where we will drive through the historic gold country town of Groveland California and finally into the mountains and Yosemite National Park.Once in the park
From $140.00

Yosemite National Park and Giant Sequoias Trip
"Your journey begins with a convenient pickup at your hotel. You'll cross the San Francisco Bay Bridge en route to the Sierra Nevada mountain range driving through gold rush towns as your guide carries you back to the era of the old West.In the late morning enter Yosemite National Park where you'll take a guided walk. Visit the Tuolumne Grove (weather permitting) and be amazed by the size of the redwood trees in Yosemite's largest grove. Let the serene surroundings of the forest recharge your energy. Stop a watch for rock climbers as they daringly make their way to the summit. In the springtime marvel at the tallest waterfall in the park Yosemite Falls.After you may explore Yosemite Valley on your own. For lunch
From $159.00

Driving / Roads Tips (21)

Leaving Yosemite

It is time to leave the park. I planned to go over the Sierra Nevada by taken the Tioga Pass. Unfortunately the Tioga Pass was still closed. I had to make a big detour to get over the Sierra Nevada. I had to go a long way to the north to Lake Tahoe, it was the first available pass I could cross. But I had to hurry, that pass could be closed at any time because it was snowing a lot in the mountains.

As soon as I got out of the park the sun started shining. I had a lot of miles to go, but who cares in this kind of weather :-)

sim1's Profile Photo
sim1
Mar 10, 2005

Snow!

Unbelievable how quickly the weather conditions can change. One moment the skies are blue and the sun is shining. The next moment.... SNOW!

I was nearly in Lake Tahoe, but I still had to cross the pass. The radio was warning that the pass could close any moment for everyone that didn't have snowchains. And of course I didn't... it was my summer holiday! I didn't expect to need snow chains! I was in luck, I passed the checkpoint just in time. A lot of cars drove into the ditch because of the slippery conditions, but I got through in one piece... I could continue my trip!

sim1's Profile Photo
sim1
Mar 10, 2005

Driving in Yosemite

I drove to Yosemite on Hwy 41 from Fresno. It was a beautiful drive through the narrow road, but my rental car was a little too small for the trip. I had many SUV's come right up behind me, and they wanted me out of their way-now! Thankfully, the turnouts are there so no harm was done, but it got a little hairy at times. It definitely marred the trip a bit.

spgood301's Profile Photo
spgood301
Nov 28, 2004

BACK WAY IN

I have traveled in and around Yosemite Valley for years, since I grew up in the central valley less than two hours from the park entrance and patrolled the county as a deputy sheriff. The majority of people approach the park from the west, via Hwy 120, which lends itself to much congestion. If you are coming from the east don’t bother reading any further as you will find your way. However, if you are coming from the west and want to see some great spots and maybe miss some traffic, read on. No matter where you start from get yourself to Hwy 99, which runs directly up the middle of the State and find your way to Stockton (just south of Sacramento). In Stockton take the exit off Hwy 99 onto eastbound Hwy 88 (Waterloo Road) or near Lodi (just north of Stockton) take Hwy 12 (east, not west) over to Hwy 88. Stay on Hwy 88 for about 70 miles and see some of the best scenery of the high Sierra mountains in California. If you want to go to Lake Tahoe you can take the cut off at Hwy 89 (north) or for Yosemite take Hwy 89 south (little further on Hwy 88) toward Markleville. Stay on Hwy 89 until you hit Hwy 395 and then head south. You can stay on Hwy 395 to the town of Lee Vinning where Hwy 120 comes over from the Yosemite Valley. This is the east entrance to the park and not as heavily traveled. Before heading into the park you will probably want to spend the night on the Hwy 395 side somewhere. The best spots are in the town of Bishop. The Holiday Inn Express is good and the Whiskey Creek Grill has some really great food. Bad news is Bishop is about 60 miles south of the Hwy 120 turn off to the park entrance so you have to double back in the morning. If you are coming from Los Angeles you can hit Hwy 395 (north) by cutting over from Interstate Highway 5 by heading toward Lancaster and Palmdale.

Jamesr3939's Profile Photo

P.O. Box 578, Yosemite National Park, , California, 95389, United States
33160 Evergreen Rd., , Groveland, California 95321
11136 Highway 140, PO Box D, El Portal, California, 95318, United States

Yosemite Valley Roads

With the exception of the congestion that becomes a bottleneck of traffic around the village, driving around certain portions of Yosemite valley can be a pleasant experience. The main road splits into one way roads which lead to "stop and gawk" sights such as El Capitan meadow or the slippery path up to Bridal Veil Falls, both of which are definite places to stop and check out the scenery.

Sep 13, 2004

Glacier Point Road

Glacier Point Road is a 4 mile spur road that ascends 3000 plus feet above Yosemite Valley. From the top, the entire valley is visible along with Half Dome and numerous other peaks. A short paved trail leads to the overlook from the parking lot.

Sep 06, 2004

Dangerous Curves

The roads leading into and through Yosemite are extemely steep and winding. While some people treat the park roads as if they were a race track, it can be dangerous to take these curves too fast. Be careful driving and make sure to put your car in lower gear when heading downhill.

Sep 05, 2004

Use turn-outs on Yosemite roads

When driving around the roads of Yosemite - you will invariably see lots of turn-outs - often with loads of cars and people lookng off into the distance. The natural respone is to look out your window and see what all the fuss is about. And when you do, you'll usually be floored - so much so that you may forget for a moment that you are actually driving a car! Often people will gaze up at the awesome face of El Capitan, and, after gasping for a moment, will decide they have to stop, and will come to their senses either heading straight towards the edge of the road or into the back of another motorist going throught this same process!

The solution: when you see a turnout - especially if there are people there - STOP - get out, and THEN see what they're looking at. It is Yosemite after all, so no doubt it will be awesome! Plus, this way you won't miss anything!

Karnubawax's Profile Photo
Karnubawax
Jul 26, 2004

Top 5 Yosemite National Park Writers

chewy3326's Profile Photo

chewy3326

"The Incomparable Valley (and Park)"

"Yosemite in a day"
richiecdisc's Profile Photo

richiecdisc

"On Becoming Part of the Food Chain: Yosemite"
acemj's Profile Photo

acemj

"Yosemite National Park"
atufft's Profile Photo

atufft

"Yosemite is Perhaps the Prettiest Park in the USA"
View Member

Okay, in California, the best...

Okay, in California, the best way to get around is in a convertible! Pictured here is my Volkswagon Cabrio. The location of the photo is in front of the Larkspur Ferry Terminal, not far from where I live. The car was 4 days old, and just about to go on its first road trip, to Yosemite! For the entire trip, the only time the top was closed was when the car was parked for the evening.

Make sure to keep sunscreen, towels and bottles of water with you when you go on a long, convertible road-trip!

jessicadf's Profile Photo
jessicadf
Aug 25, 2002

Things to Do Near Yosemite National Park

Mirror Lake

Mirror Lake was empty when we visited this place on 12 September 2009. Even though the lack of water was unexpected, it was quite an interesting sight and we also had the rare opportunity to stand on...

Ahwahnee Hotel

We didn't stay at the Ahwahnee Hotel, so I can't comment on its lodging attributes, but we did have a few rounds at the bar after a long day of hiking, and we spent about 30-40 minutes walking around...

Half Dome

The half dome is one of the most popular hikes in Yosemite. At over 400 feet incline, it is a difficult hike. The trail runs 12 miles; 6 miles each way. It is a seven hour hike in all. Since I was...

Valley

This is a must do, even if there is traffic. The views are amazing and there are plenty of parking along side the road if there is a view you would like to see a little longer.Coming into the valley,...

Glacier Point

Okay, they say a photo is worth a thousand words, so I have, by way of the photos here ALREADY written 5,000 words ^O^. But if you have the time, take the road up to Glacier Point, it is one of those...

Falls

We went to Yosemite in July, it was perfect, the weather is not too hot then. We went on a hike, an easy one, passing by the Yosemite Falls, it's really beautiful. It's at 2,425 ft. There are several...

Getting to Yosemite National Park

Address

We don't yet have an address for this Transportation. Help us improve our info!

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Transportation. Help us improve our info!

Map