Map &

Yosemite National Park Day Trip from San Francisco
From $140.00

Animal Dangers Tips (47)

Watch out for Black Bears

Upon first arriving at Housekeeping camp, the first thing you are treated to is stock footage of a bear literally tearing open a car ass if it where made out of foil. I guess they do that to show you what can happen if you aren't careful. So basically, don't leave ANYTHING in your car. Take out all food items, toiletries, or anything that be easily mistaken by bears as food. I've been told that bears can sense food that is sealed inside a can, which is locked in a cool box in your trunk. Don't believe me? Well, that's up to you really... better be safe than sorry. Use the bear boxes provided, or else i hope you have bear damage insurance.

joits's Profile Photo
Jul 15, 2004

Beware of Bears

If you plan on camping, you must follow the proper storage instructions for your food. The park is well marked with signs, notifying you of the dangers. The bears will come into the camp looking for a snack. They are extremely dangerous, and can be very destructive...even tearing into vehicles if they smell food inside.

jag17's Profile Photo
Jun 19, 2004

Basic food storage tips

Hey, we all gotta eat and that included the wildlife, so be sure to follow some basic food storage rules.

1) Don't leave food in your car unless you think that dents and broken glass will improve its appearance
2) Don't leave food unattended. Store it in one of the many food storage lockers like you see here
3) Keep in mind that animals smell better than you, so anything with a food-like scent (coconut scented sunscreen or minty toothpaste for example) might attract attention
4) If you're camping, keep your campground clean. Discard trash in the bearproof cans provided by the park

If you are approached by a bear, your best bet is to make a lot of noise. Throw rocks, wave your arms, do whatever you gotta do, even if you look like a raving lunatic (in fact, the more raving the better).

acemj's Profile Photo
Jun 16, 2004

You know about the bears...but...

I was there for a few months and did I get to see a bear? NO!!! I couldn't believe it. Everyone else did--I would arrive someplace like 2 minutes after a bear was spotted. It became embarrassing. But I have never had good luck spotting wildlife--I am not a very lucky person.

But the marmots...they had a thing against me, I think. Early in the morning when I'd stay up at White Wolf, I go out to the shower/bathroom facility and there they were. Staring. Plotting. Waiting. An organized marmot family, that's what they were. Later, we would be climbing on the rocks and the big intimidating marmot would make his presences known and his little marmot groupies...oh, they were there too! Just don't make these guys mad...they remember.

I still liked seeing them, though--despite their obvious agenda. :)

PA2AKgirl's Profile Photo

9010 Curry Village Drive, , California, 95389, United States
P.O. Box 578, Yosemite National Park, , California, 95389, United States
33160 Evergreen Rd., , Groveland, California 95321
11136 Highway 140, PO Box D, El Portal, California, 95318, United States

Deer can be dangerous too !

I looked through all the warning/danger tips under Yosemite, and they only talked about bears. In fact, there are more accidents involving deers than bears, although nothing as serious.

Both deers and bears like to hang around people for food. But the difference is that, when people see deers they like to get closer, but when they see bears they run away. People often think deers are cute and harmless. Well, not always. Deers can be unpredictable, especially during mating season. How do they hurt people? They butt and they kick. Unlike horses, they stand up and kick with their front legs instead.

mht_in_la's Profile Photo
Nov 02, 2003

Bears in Yosemite

At night (Sept 2003), on a campsite just outside Yosemite NP, we encountered a black bear two nights in a row. I did manage to get one picture of it, hoping the flashlight would scare it away. Do use the bear boxes...

Oct 17, 2003

Bears and Mountain Lions

Grizzly bears and mountain lions call Yosemite home. I did not encouter one here. Ironically, I saw a bear the other day in front of my house in New Jersey. They are here and there have been encounters. Don;t go off to far on your own here.

Easty's Profile Photo
Jun 23, 2003

Bears and rookies

This park (as well as Sequoia and King's Canyon) have "wild" bears and so the visitors are requested to not leave any smelly stuff in the car (which even goes for toothpaste and perfums!). Hikers are adviced to do the same and use only vacuum-packed foods during their adventures, especially when they stay out in the open wild.
In the world of alpinists it is known anyway. Do not go onto climbing-tracks that are over your skills and never go alone. Take the warnings serious and don't think to quickly that "it will be alright". Yearly accidents happen with rookies and not seldomly lethal.

Pavlik_NL's Profile Photo
Oct 28, 2002

Top 5 Yosemite National Park Writers

chewy3326's Profile Photo

"The Incomparable Valley (and Park)"
goingsolo's Profile Photo

"Yosemite in a day"
richiecdisc's Profile Photo

"On Becoming Part of the Food Chain: Yosemite"
acemj's Profile Photo

"Yosemite National Park"
atufft's Profile Photo

"Yosemite is Perhaps the Prettiest Park in the USA"

All Wild Animals

Wild Animals are exactly that, wild! As gentle as they look, there are more reports of deer-inflicted injuries every year than bear inflicted injuries. Yosemite is home to everything from deer to squirrels to bears and mountain lions. Even squirrels have fleas that can carry the plague! Mountain lion sightings are extremely rare and if you see one, report when and where to a ranger as soon as possible. They like to keep an update on where the mountain lions are. Just remember to never approach a wild animal no matter how tame it looks!

Ischyros's Profile Photo
Sep 10, 2002

Black bears are very abundent throughout Yosemite! They are often brown and while not usually agressive, keep your distance! Do not leave any food in your car, not even an empty ice chest. Bears have learned that an ice chest means food and they can and will break into your car to find it. Bears can smell a donut from over a mile away. Don't even leave a stick of gum in the glove compartment! Always use bearproof lockers supplied around the park.

Ischyros's Profile Photo
Sep 10, 2002

Bear Country

All these warnings of bears and I didn't even see a squirrel! No bear sightings that I can report of. Though one night we were awaken by the howls of coyotes/wolves.

johntchow's Profile Photo
Feb 19, 2003

Things To Do Near Yosemite National Park

Mirror Lake

Mirror Lake was empty when we visited this place on 12 September 2009. Even though the lack of water was unexpected, it was quite an interesting sight and we also had the rare opportunity to stand on...

Ahwahnee Hotel

We didn't stay at the Ahwahnee Hotel, so I can't comment on its lodging attributes, but we did have a few rounds at the bar after a long day of hiking, and we spent about 30-40 minutes walking around...

Half Dome

The half dome is one of the most popular hikes in Yosemite. At over 400 feet incline, it is a difficult hike. The trail runs 12 miles; 6 miles each way. It is a seven hour hike in all. Since I was...
Things to Do

This is a must do, even if there is traffic. The views are amazing and there are plenty of parking along side the road if there is a view you would like to see a little longer.Coming into the valley,...

Glacier Point

Okay, they say a photo is worth a thousand words, so I have, by way of the photos here ALREADY written 5,000 words ^O^. But if you have the time, take the road up to Glacier Point, it is one of those...
Things to Do

We went to Yosemite in July, it was perfect, the weather is not too hot then. We went on a hike, an easy one, passing by the Yosemite Falls, it's really beautiful. It's at 2,425 ft. There are several...

Getting to Yosemite National Park

We don't yet have an address for this Warnings and Dangers. Help us improve our info!

We don't yet have hours for this Warnings and Dangers. Help us improve our info!