Colorado Springs Warnings and Dangers

downtown Colorado Springs
    by travel2there
    The road in the Garden of the Gods
    by OlenaKyiv
    Note on the door of the cafe
    by OlenaKyiv

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Colorado Springs

• Traffic tickets for not stopping at stop signs

by Dan444 Written Aug 20, 2013

Colorado Springs police officers have and may still be issuing tickets to drivers who fail to come to a stop at the exit ramp (that is under construction, right shoulder is closed and coned off) and Garden of the Gods heading east. Last Wednesday, 14 Aug 2013, the stop signs were improperly posted. For some reason, the signs were not visable to some drivers because the signs were posted at ground level. If anyone out there was ticketed on this or any or day when stops sign were not properly posted, I would like to hear from you. My e-mail address is blue222@comcast.net and my name is Dan. For all others, be fore-warned, police have been and continue to issue citations for not coming to a complete stop at location.

• Fillmore Street Correction

by jnicb Updated Jul 5, 2012

Visitors and newcomers to Colorado Springs should know that the posting regarding Fillmore Street is wildly inaccurate. I live within a few miles of this thoroughfare and travel it on a near daily basis. It's no more dangerous than other city streets and I've never felt uncomfortable being there, whether day or night. In fact, when I was a teenaged girl, I got my first apartment in this neighborhood and lived alone for a long time without ever having a bit of trouble. While the general appearance of the Fillmore corridor is dated and some buildings are closed, there are plenty of businesses that are thriving, and there are even some that are a treasured part of our community culture.

Further, the photo that was posted with this baseless "tip" are of building that are no where near Fillmore Street. In fact, I've lived in this town my entire life and know it very well, and I can't place those buildings anywhere in our city at all. We don't have high-rise public tenements like many other cities do. Even in our less desirable neighborhoods, this type of housing isn't the norm. Obviously I haven't memorized every single building in this town, but I can say with 100% certainly that nothing like this exists on Fillmore or anywhere in the extended vicinity, at least within 10 - 12 miles in any given direction. In fact, from what I can make of the details, it appears a mass transit system resembling a subway is visible; Colorado Springs has no such public transit system. The street lamps pictured also are incongruous with those used throughout the city. While I can't outright refute the assertion that this photo was taken in this town, I can say all my time and experience in this city make it hard for me to believe this was taken here at all.

Lastly, I'd like to address the assertions that drive-by shootings are a nightly occurrence and that people get robbed or killed on the street, and that the area is rife with prostitutes and criminals. These statements border on libelous. My daughter attends one of the areas top schools, which is on Fillmore. This isn't her "home" school; I go out of my way to take her there because it's among the top performing schools in the city. During the school year, I traverse Fillmore at least twice every day. No matter what hour I'm out, I never -- in more than 30 years residency -- have seen a prostitute or gang members in this area, and there have been no reported muggings in this area as far back as I'm able to research. Can crime occur here? Of course it can; crime can occur anywhere at any time. But the previous posting positively vilifies this relatively innocuous corridor.

I advise all visitors and new residents to do their own homework and avoid taking the word of anonymous strangers as gospel. I'm not saying Fillmore would suit everyone's taste. However, I hate to see anywhere get a bad rap unfairly, and it is very upsetting that someone would go to these lengths to misrepresent an entire micro-community by recounting unsubstantiated stories and posting photos of supposed low-income/subsidized housing tenements that don't even exist in this area. I, for one, am incensed at the unfairness of this person's obvious bias.

If you come to Colorado Springs, you will find a welcoming community who will make you feel at home. I encourage you to explore all the treasures this wonderful city has to offer and form your own opinions. We look forward to welcoming you to our home.

A beloved city treasure, set squarely on Fillmore

• cougarkiller's Profile Photo

Garden of the Gods, Don't stop in the bike lane!

by cougarkiller Written Apr 18, 2008

When traveling through the one way roads in the Garden of the Gods, There is a bike lane that is on the right hand sign, and signs are posted telling you not to park in the bike lane. If you stop in the bike lane, Park Patrol or Springs Police may give you a ticket, even if your just taking a picture. Also be aware that tickets aren't always given out in person, but can also be sent to you in the mail two to three weeks later.

• jstocco's Profile Photo

the air is thin

by jstocco Written Jan 17, 2008

Warning to all: Colorado is in a very high elevation. I was born and raised in Colorado and never noticed. I moved out to the west coast, and during my last visit I couldn’t believe how much the altitude affected me. As soon as I stepped off the plane I thought my lungs were on fire. After a few days I got used to, but it is still hard being active.

• OlenaKyiv's Profile Photo

The Garden of the Gods - the roads

by OlenaKyiv Written Jun 3, 2007

Most of the Garden of the God’s roads are one-way, so watch for signs and try not to turn wrong way. Also the speed in the park is supposed to be slow, so don’t be afraid to spend time watching surroundings driving slowly. Customarily, car drivers behind you understand and don’t show their impatience. Watch for deer and other animals in the park, you will see them often on the roads.

The road in the Garden of the Gods

• kschatterbox's Profile Photo

Lions, Bears Oh my...

by kschatterbox Written Apr 13, 2007

Important information to remember when hiking/biking/running in black bear & mountain lion country:

Black bear and mountain lion are more active at dawn and dusk. Also, black bear can be active at all times of the day/night, searching for food prior to hibernation.
    A mountain lion's predatorial instinct can be activated by things that are going fast or are small and making high-pitched sounds (esp. during the times they're most active).
    Keep small children close to you and don't let them run ahead or lag behind on the trail.
    Use extra caution where hearing or visibility is limited: in brushy areas, near streams, where trails round a bend or on windy days.
    Reduce your chances of surprising a bear or mountain lion by talking, singing or wearing bells during the times they're more active.
    Always have your dog on a leash.
    Unless there's a bear-proof trash can around, take any garbage with you.
    Mountain lions cover their prey with dirt, leaves, etc. and return to feed until it spoils. If you encounter leftover prey while hiking, calmly leave the area immediately. You could be seen as a threat if the mountain lion should return. (Note: It's uncommon for mountain lion to leave prey by a trail, but it has happened.)
    Avoid berry patches in the fall

• Fillmore Ghetto? Warning post in error

by travel2there Written Nov 1, 2006

Other poster's pic of tall brick buildings does NOT look like Fillmore street--what ghetto is he talking about? I think the photo is a mistake--

Low fast food buildings, & small businesses ARE what line Fillmore, NORTH of the downtown area, where Nevada Street has it's 'Route 66' style motels and funky little businesses. Not what I would highlight for visitors but not a ghetto. Locals go to shop or get KFC chicken. Or go to the Omelet Parlor for good breakfasts.

As far as I know the city has built no high rise project housing. I live here. The photo resembles office towers downtown. (the lofts in these go for ++$250,000)

There are homeless persons near downtown, esp. near soup kitchens and assistance ministries. Ghetto? If we have those, they take the form of single family homes that are run down and tiny, e.g. between downtown and Memorial Park. Even there, the mix includes houseproud tenants who keep up their end, even as neighbors struggle economically.

You will not be struck by the sight of an urban ghetto if you visit downtown Colorado Springs. You may see homeless people. You may see 'marginalized' vets near the W. Bijou St. bridge, with VA facilities located just west of the freeway, and St. Mary's sees some traffic in helping homeless near there, too. You will see broad boulevards with great trees in grassy medians, bronze sculptures, historic houses and buildings of all different and interesting architecture. Few towns were planned as well as the one William Jackson Palmer envisioned with the building of his railroad and the town of Colorado Springs. There are 1,000s of acres of parkland set aside here, thanks to him.

Most of us feel very safe walking downtown along Tejon Street, grabbing a meal in one of the restaurants, or going to a movie or the french bakery. I don't work for the city or the chamber of commerce---but I do live downtown, which I much prefer to the 'Little Boxes' or the ' McMansions' covering the hills east of Academy Blvd. Come see for yourself!

downtown Colorado Springs
    • Architecture

• Tugboatguy's Profile Photo

Winter Driving on Icy Steep Streets

by Tugboatguy Updated Nov 1, 2006

Winter driving on Colorado Springs streets can be dangerous because of the hilly steep terrain with main thorofares following up and down the hills. After a snowstorm these streets can be nearly impassable. Melting snow from a day's bright sunshine can freeze overnight, making the streets glare ice. One morning after an overnight snowfall over 100 accidents on Austin Bluffs Boulevard were reported to the local police in less than one hour!

The steep boulevard runs east west and goes right past the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs, with a morning and evening rush hour. On the steep icy streets your brakes are useless in stopping your car. Drive slowly and downshift for engine braking. Just try to steer opposite the skid out of danger's way. Gently pumping your brakes may help regain directional control if you do NOT have anti-skid brakes on your car.

The morning news on the car radio that morning rush hour simply advised colliding motorists to exchange insurance information, and just call the police later in the day unless there were injuries. The city police simply were overwhelmed with no chance to respond.

If an accident is on the Interstate 25, call the Colorado Highway Patrol at (303) 239-4501. This is a 24 hour line. Two Colorado Springs Police Department telephone numbers are given below. Or in an emergency-call 911.

The other result of freezing weather is to create what is known as frost heaves on the streets and freeways. Melting water in a crack in the roadway freezes and expands, lifting and cracking the surface road material. In the winter the main north south Interstate 25 that goes to Denver from Colorado Springs gets actual craters in its surface and, at 70 miles per hour, can do real damage to a car's wheels, tires and suspension. The rental agencies have 4-wheel drive or all-wheel drive vehicles at premium rates. If you are going up mountain roads, consider these rentals, but reserve ahead. Snow tires will be on all other rental vehicles in the winter here.

Phone: (719) 444-7597 Gold Hill Station

• Business Travel

• BobGaugherty's Profile Photo

Ghetto

by BobGaugherty Updated Mar 10, 2006

The Colorado Springs "ghetto" is a small, suburban area near downtown. It is mainly on Fillmore Street and surrounding areas. It is not a good idea to go there at all, especially at night. There is a lot of drunks/homeless, gangs, and prostitutes in this area. If you must, go in the day. I have a friend that lives on Fillmore and he says he hears gunshots every night. I was walking on Fillmore from my friends house to a restaurant when some gangsters flew by in an old car and shot up a building(probably aiming for the people inside) with an automatic. "That was one of the many drive-by shootings that occur daily," my friend said.You could get shot or even killed by somebody who wants something of yours. Remember to stow away expensive-looking items if you leave your car. There is picture of some of the housing projects on fillmore street.

• Singles

• Erin09340's Profile Photo

Drivers

by Erin09340 Written Feb 25, 2006

I have lived in North Carolina, Tampa Bay, FL, Kosovo, and Germany and I think that the people of Colorado Springs are the absolute worst drivers I've experience anywhere. For the first 8 months we lived here, my husband and I would remark on how awful they are almost anytime we got in a car. He believes it's due to oxygen difficiency at this altitude.

• JacNDav's Profile Photo

Safety in the Rockies

by JacNDav Updated May 2, 2004

There are places that you should not hike or rock climb, especially in the spring , they are usually identified. First recommendation is: if there is a sign that says DON'T then you really shouldn't - you'd be surprised by the rock climbing accidents, or people fallen down mountains because they ignored the warnings...
    We have bears and mountain lions so don't keep food in your tent or trash around your campsite.
    The sun is intense -wear sunscreen and hat, even when its cold.
    There are a lot of lightening strikes(spring/summer), if there is a storm seek shelter, get away from tall objects and lay low off the ground - like on your backpack.

helpful hints: http://www.rockymountainrescue.org/assets/pdfs/SafetyBrochure.pdf.

• Camping

• elizabooper's Profile Photo

Seven Falls is a Fluke

by elizabooper Written Apr 11, 2004

My friend and I went to this waterfall and there wasn't much too it. You could go hiking once you get up this death trap on a pipe. You basically scale up the falls, wobbling as you go. I'm not afraid of heights, but this scared me. I thought the thing was going to fall down. There isn't much to this and its not worth the $7 or $8 that it cost to get in.

Website: http://falls@pcisys.net

Altitude

by PelLihi Written Mar 18, 2004

The town itself is about 7000 feet above sea-level. It takes some time to adjust to it if you are not used to it. I'm serious about this. I'm from Europe and do lots of sports regularly, so I thought that playing in a soccer game 4 days after my arrival wouldn't harm me. Well, I almost passed out at half time!!! The air is very thin up there, so let your body some time to adjust before doing anything of physical extenuation (i.e. hiking up Pikes Peek which is on 14.000 feet!!!!)

School Zones

by PelLihi Written Mar 18, 2004

Slow down when driving through a school zone. The speed limit is 25mph and the cops will give you an enormous ticket when catching you exeeding this limit. So be aware. Other than that I never saw a lot of cops in the Springs during my visit.

Rattlesnakes

by PelLihi Written Mar 17, 2004

When hiking around, watch out for these dangerous creatures. Normally they don't attack people (only if they feel thronged (and that can happen by accident). So be aware, you will hear them if you get too close. I saw a few myself and never felt unsafe, but be cautious!

Instant Answers: Colorado Springs

• Jan 16, 2013 at 3:46 AM

I am an Archaeologist,,WATCH FOR SCORPIONS & RATTEL SNAKES!
    Mostly in SPING & after IT RAINS! turn rocks over carefuly,its a big house to these creatures! they love to stay dry there.
    Watch your kids & PETS near rocks also! Bites can kill the smalls!
    and you might not see symptoms untill its too late! if your not sure about a rocky area,put good Boots on your dogs & kids! better to be safe than sorry.
    there is a lot of neat Archaeology & Geology here!
    have a good time!

Colorado Springs Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Colorado Springs warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Colorado Springs sightseeing.

View all Colorado Springs hotels