Carrabelle Beach Off The Beaten Path
Crooked River Lighthouse
This 115 foot tall lighthouse was built in 1895. In the late 1990s the lighthouse was abandoned and deteriorating. It was inactive from 1995 to 2007. It is now privately maintained.
It is a square pyramidal skeletal tower with central cylinder; this configuration is called "Sanibel class". The upper half is painted red and the lower half is white. The original 4th order bivalve Henry Lepaute lens is on display at the Coast Guard Eighth District headquarters in New Orleans. The keeper's house was sold and relocated 2 miles (3 km) west.
The Carrabelle Lighthouse Association was formed in 1999 to work for restoration of the station. In 2000, the City of Carrabelle secured ownership of the site and leased it to the association. The state granted $298,000 for engineering studies and the start of a restoration, which was carried out in 2007. The lighthouse was relit with its original light pattern in a ceremony on 8 December 2007.
A replica of the keeper's house is being completed to serve as a visitor center and museum.
The Keeper's House Museum and Gift Shop is open from noon to 5:00 p.m. Thursday through Sunday. Weather permitting, you can climb the Crooked River Lighthouse on Saturdays and Sundays from 1:00 p.m. till 4:00p.m. The cost for climbing the lighthouse is $5.00 per person. All climbers must be 44 inches tall.
Located on the inland side of US 98 just west of Carrabelle Beach. There is parking provided next to the tower.Related to:
- Sailing and Boating
- Road Trip
- Budget Travel