Glass Bottom Boats, Key West

• Glass Bottom Boats
    by MJL
    glass bottom boat dock
    by doug48
    On the climbing wall in key west
    by galaxyrain

• MJL's Profile Photo

Not a lot action

by MJL Written Mar 16, 2013

I belive we all have seen those bright full of colour TV programs from a different reefs. I don't know what I expected for this glass boat excursion, but there was not a lot of action. Only couple of fish swam around and a the reef looked like a sand. Glass windows of the boat have became dirty year after year sailings and as there are no extra lighting, it is hard to see anything.

Directions: Mallory Square

• galaxyrain's Profile Photo

Fury Catamaran Tours.... Perfect for Beginners!

by galaxyrain Updated Jan 25, 2009

Key West was one of the best vacations I have ever had. I think my reasoning for this is I did so much here for the first time................snorkeling, ocean kayaking, seadoo riding, and swimming in the ocean. Yes, I guess I have lived a sheltered life, but I am getting out there now. I have always had a fear of the ocean. You know the whole "sharks are everywhere" mentality, well that's me. We took many trips with Fury..................Ultimate Adventure, GlassBottom Boat, and Sunset Sail. The ultimate adventure runs around $130 per person on average. The trip included snorkeling, parasailing, jet-skiing, kayaking, swimming, rock climbing on the water, and lunch. They provide everything. You will need to bring your own sunscreen and towel. This trip takes all day from 10am til 4-5pm. Arrive early to complete paperwork!
    My tips: bring a waterproof camera, SUNSCREEN!!!!! ( keep applying ), bring a towel, cash they will appreciate tips ), maybe a jacket or t-shirt for the sail back.

Address: Key West, FL.

Directions: Tickets are available for purchase online and at the bay area in Key West @ Mallory Square.

Phone: 1-877-994-8898

Website: http://www.fury.com

Getting into the water...............so scared!! Parasailing! On the climbing wall in key west Yellowfin Tuna were everywhere here. FUN!!!  Yea, we fell off, but only once.
    • Diving and Snorkeling

• doug48's Profile Photo

glass bottom boat rides

by doug48 Updated Nov 14, 2008

there are a couple of glass bottom boat tour operators in downtown key west. one is located next to the pier house resort at the end of duval street and another on margret street at the key west harbor. for those who want to see the interesting undersea life and coral formations of the key west reef and do not want to get wet this is a good option. see the attached websites for more information.

Address: duval or margret at the harbor

Directions: north part of downtown.

Website: http://furycat.com/key-west/glass-bottom-boats.htm

glass bottom boat dock
    • Architecture

• mafootje's Profile Photo

Pride of Key West

by mafootje Updated Aug 26, 2007

This is one of the boats in Key West with a glass bottom. This is one of the larger ones, the day we went it wasn't so crowded. Despite the fact it wasn't that warm, during the trip to the reef it felt very nice on the deck.

When we arrived at the reef we went down to see through the bottom....unfortunalty the water was a bit unclear because of the storm yesterday as we were told...

But last year we went on the Nautilus and did see more even when the sun was behind clouds so we think you should choose the Nautilus when the weather has been or is not optimal. The Nautilus is more spectacular because you are seated underneath the water line. Here on the pride there's also some distance between the window and you.

Pictures taken december 7th 2003

Directions: Historic Seaport at the end of Duval Street

Phone: 305.293.0099/800.262.0099

Website: http://www.keywest800.com/glassbottom.html

The Pride of Key West The windows below you...
    • National/State Park

• bluejaxx's Profile Photo

Glass Bottom Boat Tour

by bluejaxx Written May 12, 2007

You must take a glass bottom boat tour, I took mine during the day but you may see more sea life if you take the sunset tour. You get a narrated tour of the coast of key west and the staff are very friendly and they offer light snacks. When you are further out to sea you are allowed to go downstairs to the glass bottoms and you sit near a window where you get a view of the coral and sea life. Dolphins followed our boat out to sea. I caught a shot of a barracuda (but it didnt eat any fish). So be sure to bring your camera, you never know what may swim up to your window.

Address: 251 Margaret Street

Directions: At the historic seaport on the corner of margaret and caroline street, the office is on the right side of the parking lot.

Phone: 1-800-262-0099

Website: http://www.discoveryunderseatours.com/index.htm

• Sailing and Boating

• Ericasmurf99's Profile Photo

Glass Bottom Boats

by Ericasmurf99 Updated Jan 6, 2007

This is a great trip for everyone! I was worried I may not be able to see that well, but it is amazing how clear you can see! Check my travelogue titled "Under da Sea" for more photos of the reef as seen through the glass bottom boat.
    The company we went through was through the Fury Company, boat name was "Pride of Key West". There is another company, but thier name escapes me at the moment. Discovery maybe? Anyway, we went with Fury because it was $10.00 cheaper.

Directions: The booth and take off point is at the very end of Duval street.

Clear view of the reef Clear view of the reef Clear view of the reef Clear view of the reef Glass Bottom Boat
    • Adventure Travel
    • Sailing and Boating

• HotRodEtte's Profile Photo

There's a lot to do here, so here's what we did!

by HotRodEtte Written May 30, 2006

To avoid too much typing and writing a novel, I'll sum up what we did during our weekend in Key West.
    Friday night - Dinner and bar hopping on Duval St. With all the [drunk] people out here at this time of night, it's no surprise that you may find this area a little "dirty." Just watch where you walk and everything will be fine--it's not nearly as bad as New Orleans where they literally have to hose down the street the next day!
    Saturday morning and afternoon - a little relaxation at the hotel pool then an afternoon of sightseeing and taking it easy. Lunch at conch republic (yum!), then a glass bottom boat ride (approx. 2 hrs. long), where we were able to check out the fish in the reef. From there it was on to Pier House for the best key lime pie, topped high with meringue. Wine tasting and purchasing at the local Key West winery came next, followed by some rest at the hotel before venturing out for the night. Although the day wsa overcast, we were able to see a great sunset at Mallory Square along with entertainment from the performers, and dinner at Schooner Wharf.
    Sunday morning - photos with the buoy at the southernmost point and a little more walking up and down Mallory Square and Duval St. before heading back to Miami for our last night before our flight. Don't forget to check out Capt. Tony's, the oldest bar in Key West!

Directions: You'll definitely want to get a map of the island when you arrive at your hotel. All the points you want to check out will be listed and the island is very easy to get around.

a view of fish from the glass bottom boat Picturesque sunset from Mallory Square

• GUYON's Profile Photo

Glass Bottom Boat

by GUYON Written Feb 25, 2003

Rather deceiving tour.
    45mn to reach the reef, first.
    The reef is uniformly grey and there are few fishes.
    The sight is not clear and the move of the boat makes bubbles.

Directions: Historic Seaport