Walt Disney World - Magic Kingdom, Orlando

by Madasabull

• PinkFloydActuary's Profile Photo

Magical

by PinkFloydActuary Written Jul 8, 2012

For the kids - the Magic Kingdom was the place to be. So much so that even in a slightly off-season visit, we couldn't pack everything they wanted to see into one day, and had to spill into a second.

Mission number one was to meet Rapunzel. In 2012, she had moved from her normal home to just inside the park gates. So, as we walked up, we were informed a minimum of an hour wait, and it would be like that all day. What's good though is that this is right next to the train station, so we were able to ride around the park while my wife and daughter awaited the magical meeting.

The park is divided into six main sections: Main Street, Adventureland, Fronteirland, Fantasyland, Liberty Square, and Tomorrowland. Each section of the park seems to have something iconic, so you really need to plan out a good plan of attack. We went straight up Main Street, then covered Fantasyland, Liberty Square, Adventureland, Fronteirland, and caught the train back over to Fantasyland where we ran out of steam. Day two went for Tomorrowland, then revisited some of the highlights.

If you're using the fast pass, you need to make sure that you'll be in the vicinity when the pass comes up, or it isn't worth it. Perhaps the longest lines in the park are at Peter Pan in Fantasyland. I should have grabbed passes there immediately, but we did a few rides first. By the time we got our passes, they were for 90 minutes out - and we had seen almost everything in the area already - which meant a hike out and back. Not good planning.

I would also recommend the passes for the Jungle Cruise - the line is shaded, but brutally hot and cramped. Better to just cut to the front.

Most of the name rides are easy to get onto and fun for all - It's a Small World is better than I remember, and Pirates of the Caribbean is a lot of fun. We did both of these multiple times. I did learn that Stitch's Great Escape in Tomorrowland freaks out a 4 year old, based on my sample size of one.

Remember, the weekend lines are much worse than weekdays, so on a multiple day trip, I would recommend Magic Kingdom off the weekend.

Characters are around, but a great option for the princesses and Mickey/Minnie is at Town Hall - you can get the fast pass here and get in and out very quickly - this was a great time saver.

Lots of food options, but really pay attention to reservation issues. We were on Main Street and didn't realize so many places were reservation only... we ended up at a hot dog place.

You can get here via monorail, bus, and ferry (from some places).

Have fun (but it's kind of hard not to!)

Meet/Greet at Town Hall The Kingdom Attraction numero uno Chip and Dale of Tomorrowland

• blitzerboy's Profile Photo

Magic

by blitzerboy Written May 23, 2008

Make use of the magic hours if you stay in a Disney hotel, they are the best hours to go on the most popular attractions with very little wait.

If you have a choice que on the left as it is normally the shortest.

Use the parades as a distraction to get on the rides with slightly less of a que.

Pal Mickey is a cool way to find out about the parks and keep children entertained in long ques.

Pin Trading is a good way to interact with cast members and it can be good fun!

In Animal Kingdom, the animals are more active early on in the day so go and see as many as you can.

If you park a car tie something to the radio transmitter or something to make it noticable in a huge crowd of cars.

Use the free transport if you stay in a disney hotel as it saves money on petrol and it is a very easy way to get places.

Address: General Walt Disney Tips

• gv_Orlando's Profile Photo

Special Events at the Magic Kingdom

by gv_Orlando Updated Oct 29, 2007

The Magic Kingdom has special events and parties spread out throughout the year:

-Night of Joy (Friday and Saturday night first weekend of September)
    -Mickey's Not Too Scary Halloween Party.(certain weeknights and weekend evenings through Sept. 14th-Nov. 2nd)
    -Mickey's Merry Christmas Party (certain weeknights and weekend evenings throughout December
    -Pirates and Princesses Party (Wednesday nights and weekend evenings in August)

The parties are great because they limit park admission so there are no lines for any of the rides, you're not getting crowded by other tourists, the encourage both children and adults to show up in costume, and they pass out special treats for free throughout the park, admission is cheaper than a regular park admission (only $40-50 for adults and even less for children under 12 compared to the regular admission price of $69 per adult). The party hours are from 6:30pm- midnight and Main Street stays open until 1:00am for shopping.

The not so great thing about them is if you are one of the park guests during the day, paid full admission price expecting to spend the whole day at the Magic Kindgom and watch a fireworks show (they are very good shows) and get kicked out at 6:30pm. So be sure to check the Magic Kingdom calendar to make sure park hours are what you expect them to be during those months (August, September, October and December)

If you decide to go to one of these parties, try to book one of the weeknights. It's less crowded and more enjoyable. Friday and Saturday nights tend to be busier night for the parties.

Directions: Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom, Orlando, Florida

Add to your Trip Planner
  • Horrible Experience// Broken Heart Hurt.

by theresaw1 Written Jul 7, 2015

My 5 year old daughter requested to go to Disney World for her 5th birthday. We spent 7 days in Orlando in a vacation home I rented 1 mile from Disney. On her actual birthday, I decided to do magic Kingdom on July 1st,2015. I made advance arrangements six months prior for dinner at Cinderella Royal Table, and a make over at Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique. This day turned out to be a train wreck for me. Starting at Bibbiddi Bobbidi, hairstyle chosen did not come out correct, however I accepted it and fixed her hair myself to my liking's, all because of her happiness and excitement that she looked like her favorite character Elsa. We went across to the photo studio and one of the photographers was very nasty, and talking pretty harshly at myself and my party whom attended my daughter celebration. The pictures he took of my daughter did not come out well at all. I could not even choose not one picture to put in her package. So the rep and I got into a pretty intense dispute where she told me she could not retake my pictures and i couldn't get a refund. Another photographer over heard our conversations d stated she will retake the pictures of my daughter and her pictures came out 10x better then the first set that was taken. Moving along, I made reservations and paid in advance for dinner with the princess over at Cinderella Royal Table, once arrived we sat there for about 45 mins before a manager walked over to us and told us that they didn't have a a table available for a party of 7. That they had 2 tables side by side and it was next to the window so we could enjoy the fireworks. My party and I thought side by side meant that it was conjoined together. Once we arrived at the table it was totally 2 separate tables, 5 on one table and 2 sitting behind on another table. Please also keep in mind i spent $250 on a frozen cake made by Cinderella Royal Table which came out awesome. So how are we suppose to celebrate and sing happy birthday was the 2 separate parties suppose to stand around the table and sing happy birthday. So i declined the seating and was sent back downstairs. We waited for another 15 mins before we were taking back upstairs. once seated they gave us 6 menus for a party of 7. IT took about 15-20 mins just to get someones attention for an extra menu. The manager then comes over and stated he over heard our conversation downstairs about taking the kids to see Elsa after dinner. So he gave us a slap in the face fast pass to see Elsa. After dinner we went next door to meet and greet with Elsa and Anna. Not only did we have fast pass and the only ones on line it took us an additional 20 mins to see Elsa. Once inside she took a group picture and told us goodnight. When initially i asked her to take individual pictures with the kids. I am not sure what they call the staff besides the photographer who was with the characters, but I asked one of them why is Elsa rushing the kids to take pictures and pushing them out. She observed the same thing with the second family and called another lady over and explained the same thing I did to her. The lady observed the same thing and mentioned something to Elsa. At this point I was tears. They offered to take the pictures over in which I declined at this point I didn’t want to do anything else besides immediately exit the park. I walked back over to the gift shop in the same location where the photo studio was across from Bibbidi Bobbidi, and asked one of the workers who I can make a report to about this horrific day that I experienced. She then called over the manager on Duty who refunded me the money for my pictures and she took me back over to Cinderella’s Royal Table to speak back to the same manager who gave me the fast pass tickets. Only for him to refer me to City Hall.
    Lastly at City Hall I just wanted a website or someone with higher authority to make my official complaint with to not only be slapped in the face again with a $50 dollars gift card, and a card with this email address to make my official report, in which I refused the gift card because it was not the about the money and the $50 couldn’t accumulate to what was spent on my seven day vacation to Disney world.I am still awaiting a reply from someone from Disney World. This was the only horrible day spent at Disney. my other days were fine.

• KarenandCory's Profile Photo

MAGIC KINGDOM

by KarenandCory Updated Aug 19, 2005

Disney World is made up of 4 parts: Magic Kingdom, Epcot, MGM and Animal Kingdom.
    The Magic Kingdom is Disney World's most popular park, especially with kids. Cinderella's Castle is at it's center and it's divided into lands each with their own theme. There's Adventureland, Frontierland, Fantasyland, Tomorrowland, Main Street USA, Liberty Square, and Mickey's Toontown.

Directions: Walt Disney World, Orlando, Florida

Website: http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/parks/parkLanding?id=MKLandingPage

• sswagner's Profile Photo

by sswagner Written Jun 12, 2005

Welcome to the original and most popular of Orlando's theme parks! The castle that sits in the center of the park is often thought of as the symbol of this place. It is worth a close look, and there is much to do in the Magic Kingdom. I recommend getting here right away as the park opens. The first few hours are critical in getting on the rides before the massive crowds hit. A lot of people who come early claim that they get the most done in those first few hours. Use the Fast Pass feature of your ticket--every ticketholder can use Fast Pass. This lets you return to a big name attraction at a later time with a minimal wait. Anything with "mountain" in the name of the ride is a good candidate for using Fast Pass, but there are others as well. Good items to bring are cameras, ponchos, and lots of money. Food and drink are expensive here, but there are some good restaurants in the kingdom. There are usually fireworks at the end of the day. A lot of people who stay in nearby Disney resorts often go early to the park, take a break at their resort during the most crowded hours, and return again in the evening. Whatever your strategy is, this should be a good time for you and the children (if you brought any). There is a reason why people come from all over to visit this and other Disney parks. Enjoy!

Space Mountain in Tommorowland

• joolssss's Profile Photo

Disney's Magic Kingdom

by joolssss Written Jun 28, 2005

Here is where your little ones will be in their element ( and probably the Dads too, cos we all know they never grow up!) All your classic rides here, Snow White, Pinocchio, the absolutely horribly addictive "its a small world" The Disney parade take place every day at 3pm then again at night which finishes off with a spectacular firework Display The beautiful castle and all the buildings, shops and characters that come and hug you, really do make this a place where dreams come true.

Website: http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdwi/en_GB/index

Castle, Pluto and kids!

• goingsolo's Profile Photo

by goingsolo Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Magic Kingdom is the original theme park in the Walt Disney World Resort complex. This park is a favorite of small children and, for some reason, honeymooning couples.

The Magic Kingdom is divided into 7 sections: Main Street USA, the main shopping thoroughfare and parade route; Adventureland, home of pirates, tiki birds and the Jungle Cruise; Frontierland, with its Wild West shootouts, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and Splash Mountain; Liberty Square, featuring the Hall of Presidents and the very popular Haunted Mansion; Fantasyland, a child's dream with flying Dumbos and the chorus of voices in Its a Small World; Mickey's village, a walk through tour of the mouse's house; and Tomorrowland, a somewhat futuristic area with flying rockets and the roller coaster, Space Mountain.

I've been going to Disney almost since it opened when I was very small and the city of Orlando was little more than the one theme park. I have to confess that this is my favorite park as well. Something about the colorful displays, cheery songs and exuberantly cheerful staff makes this place truly magical.

Phone: 407 W DISNEY

• Magic Kingdom

by MandaJ320 Written May 3, 2004

The Magic Kingdom is basically the fairytale park, with plenty to see and do for people of all ages. There are a lot of roller coasters, Disney characters, and kid rides. You don't have to wait in long lines anymore, either. You can get a ticket in advance that tells you what time to come back to ride the ride without any wait at all. This works great for rides like Splash Mountain and Space Mountain. Also, it's best to get a park hopper ticket so that you can go to more than one park in a day. There are monorails to take you to Epcot from the Magic Kingdom, or you can use buses to get back and forth between all three of the parks too. The fireworks shows are really great, and they happen at the end of the night.

• steph4867's Profile Photo

by steph4867 Updated Jun 2, 2003

Commonly referred to as Disney World, the Magic Kingdom is the original theme park that opened in 1971. Complete with Cinderella's Castle, here you'll find Space Mountain (the coolest rollercoaster despite its age), the Haunted Mansion (where ghosts hitchhike as you ride along), Pirates of the Caribbean and Its A Small World (even big kids enjoy these rides), and the scariest attraction I've ever been to, Alien Encounter. Mom gets a big kick out of my being scared to bits as we're locked in a room with an escaped alien stomping around on our heads and breathing our our necks. Ewww. Creepy.

Website: http://www.disney.com

Cinderella's Castle

• slabeaume's Profile Photo

by slabeaume Updated May 30, 2003

Magic Kingdom is divided into about 6 areas.

Adventure land is where you'll find the fun Pirates of the Caribbean and the Jungle Cruise. You may even get a little wet in the Caribbean ride.

Liberty Square and Frontierland are a couple of my favorites. In these areas are the Liberty Bell paddle wheel boat and the Big Thunder Mountain Railway. The views from the paddle wheeler are really neat. But my favorite ride in Liberty Square is the Haunted House-check out the incredible holographics.

Fantasy Land is loaded with fun child imaginative rides like It's a small World, Mad Tea Party, Dumbo the flying Elephant, and Peter Pan's Flight. The slow going rides through the different attractions, like It's a Small World, are so beautifully animated that even adults should find them fascinating.

Mickey's Toontown Fair has no rides, but it's a great place for taking colorful pictures. The kids will enjoy wandering around through the characters "neighborhood" while you snap away.

Then there's my favorite section of the park - Tomorrowland. Here is where the popular rollercoaster of Magic Kingdom is - Space Mountain. Although it really doesn't travel too fast, it's in darkness so you can't anticipate the turns. But my favorite atractions here are Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin and Alien Encounter. Buzz is a riding shooting gallery where you control the spin of the seats and Alien Encounter can be very scarey - even if it's not your first time to it!

At night, don't miss the "SpectroMagic" Parade and the "Fantasy in the Sky" Fireworks display. Both are very well done and I've enjoyed them multiple times!

Address: WAlt Disney World

landscape in Magic Kingdom

Magic Kingdom - Main Street USA - Christmas

by Lynsey-Jane Written Sep 20, 2003

Walt Disney World is even more magical at Christmas Time.
    This is a picture of the decorations up Main Street USA.

Website: http://www.disneyworld.com

Main Street USA At Chrsitmas

Magic Kingdom - Fantasyland - Peter Pan's Flight

by Lynsey-Jane Written Sep 20, 2003

This ride takes you into Peter Pan. You board a ship which flies thorugh the air over the sights of London, the Pirate ship and the mermaids.

See Captain Hook defeated by Peter Pan.

Website: http://www.disneyworld.com

Peter Pan's Flight

• AussieKitten's Profile Photo

Magic Kingdom, Disneyworld

by AussieKitten Updated Mar 10, 2003

There are 7 sections to choose from, each with their own theme. Should take 2 days to cover the park at an easy pace.

Address: Magic Kingdom, Orlando

Main Street, Disneyworld

Magic Kingdom - Frontierland - Splash Mountain

by Lynsey-Jane Written Jan 24, 2004

If you look closely at this picture you will see Sarah and Nick (my sister and brother in law) in the back seat!!

Sarah and Nick on Splash Mountain