savannah's city hall is located at the intersection of bay and bull streets. designed in 1905 by hyman whitcover, it was inspired by the chicago worlds fair and the "city beautiful" movement. city hall was carefully sited to provide a spectacular vista for bull street.
Savannah's City Hall is the most distinctive building in town with its clocktower topped with a gold dome and a toering American flag. It is interesting to note the dome was historically copper, but was coated in gold leaf as recently as 1987.
Here is the description from the plaque at City Hall:
City Hall is the first building constructed by the citizens of Savannah expressly and exclusively to serve as the seat of municipal government. Opened on January 2, 1906 it has served continuously in this role since that date. City Hall was preceded on this site by the City Exchange, built in 1799 and razed in 1904. Along with municipal offices, the City Exchange housed the Custom House, a post office, and newspaper offices. City Hall was designed by Savannah architect Hyman W. Witcover and built 1904-1905 by the Savannah Contracting Company during the administration of Mayor Herman Myers. It is a Renaissance Revival structure of granite and limestone exterior. The original copper dome was first gold leafed in 1987.
The first group of settlers landed in Savannah in 1733. The colonists, led by Oglethorpe, settled on a small bluff overlooking the Savannah River. City Hall now occupies the very spot where Oglethorpe and the settlers first camped. City Hall was designed in 1906 by architect Hyman Wallace Witcover. It was initially the site for the City Exchange, which was destroyed by a hurricane in the late 19th century. The City Exchange was Savannah's first major building and served as headquarters for government, business, and entertainment throughout the nineteenth century.
City Hall is one of the few buildings in Savannah that meets the sky in an interesting way. City Hall is known as one of the three buildings in Georgia referred to as the "Gold Dome." On the front of the building is a plaque giving recognition to the first steamship to cross the ocean, the SS Savannah. City Hall is four stories high and made of limestone and brick.