After spending time in the nearby Cathedral or walking past historic homes, Lafayette Square beckons as a shaded place in which to relax on a park bench. This is a difficult place for the amateur photographer due to the background. Almost any picture will include cars parked on the surrounding streets. There is a fountain in the center of the park as well as nice lines in the walks. The trees are also interesting subjects.
Another pretty park with a fountain in the center commemorating the 250 anniversary of the founding of Georgia. The Hamilton Turner house was a college fraternity house in the late 60's. Today it is a beautifully renovated house turned into a B&B.
Lafayette Square was laid out in 1837 and is named for Gilbert du Motier, marquis de La Fayette, the French hero of the American Revolution, who visited Savannah in 1825. The square contains a fountain commemorating the 250th anniversary of the founding of the Georgia colony, donated by the Colonial Dames of Georgia in 1984, as well as cobblestone sidewalks. Adjacent to the square is the Roman Catholic Cathedral of St. John the Baptist.
This square, located on Abercorn Street between Charlton and Harris Streets was laid out in 1837. It is named for the Marquis de Lafayette who was a commander of the French troups arrived to help Wasngton during the Revolution. He is well known in France because he particpated to the beginning of the French Revolution and he emigrated when the the "climate became unsafe" for noble men. He had a long life and turn back to America, in Savannah, in 1825.
The three level fountain was given by the Savannah Town Committee of the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the State of Georgia
When Savannah was laid out in 1733 by General Oglethorpe hw designed wards with 40 building lots and 4 trust lots for schools, churches and other public services and a square at the center. Most of the original squares survive and are named for and dedicated to the significant figures in Savannah's history so that a tour of the squares is a delight for the eyes and also a tour of her history.
The photo shows Lafayette Square (1837) named for the famous French aide to General Washington. The fountain was installed in 1983 to commemorate the 250th anniversary of the founding of the colony of Georgia in the center of this square. In the photo you can also see the spires of the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist.
The many squares of Savannah are the true calling card of this sultry city and the picturesque Lafayette Square is no exception with the twin spires of the Gothic-style Cathedral of St. John the Baptist looming in the background. The square was named after French ally, the Marquis de Lafayette, and the church dates back to 1876.