Troup Square was laid out in 1851 and named for former Georgia Governor, Congressman, and Senator, George Troup. It is one of only two squares named for a person living at the time (the other being Washington Square). A large iron armillary sphere stands in the center of the square, supported by six small metal turtles. A special dog fountain is located on the west side of the square. The Myers Drinking Fountain was a gift from Savannah mayor Herman Myers in 1897 and originally placed in Forsyth Park. When moved to Troup Square its height was adjusted for canine use and has become the site of an annual Blessing of the Animals.
It was named for George Michael Troup, Congressional Representative, Governor (1823 - 1827), and Senator. He greeted Lafayette when he came in Savannah. The Square was laid out in 1851.
The Armillary Sphere in the center of the square was created in the 1970s and represents an ancient astronomical device.
A plate honors the Compositor James L. Pierpont who was prolific compositor, still known to have made the music of Jingle Bells. How many music boxes play this song ?