Map &

chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Roast Master for a Day Private Lesson
"Start the tour with a stop at the visitor's center for Kona coffee and Hawaiian tea tasting. Enjoy free samples. See the Discovery Channel feature that takes you through the process of making coffee.  Go to the dry mill located by the visitor's center. Learn about hulling sizing grading and color sorting of the different grades of Kona coffee. Begin your roast master experience as you roast five pounds of green Kona coffee. Take home the coffee you roasted during the lesson."""Learn about the processing steps used to get the Kona coffee beans ready to roast. Roast and package Kona coffee during this 2-hour experience. Take home all of the coffee you roast to enjoy for yourself or share with friends and family. One price covers
From $199.00

Organic Kona Coffee Farm and Mill Tour
"The tour starts at the Mountain Thunder Coffee Plantation visitor center for Kona coffee and Hawaiian tea tasting. While enjoying the free samples we offer viewing of our Discovery Channel feature about Kona coffee. It was filmed at Mountain Thunder’s Kaloko cloud forest farm and mill with the famous Mike Rowe from the Dirty Jobs series. The show takes the visitor through all of the processes from wild ginger vanilla green tea & Mamaki tea plants to our coffee orchard. At the coffee orchard visitors learn how Kona coffee is grown. They are welcome to pick and taste the sweet red coffee fruit. They also can see the coffee flowers and maturing green fruit on the trees amongst an ancient Ohia rain forest with passion fruit vines abound. They c Saint Croix sheep
From $65.00

VIP Organic Kona Coffee Farm Mill and Roastery Tour
"The tour starts at the Mountain Thunder Coffee Plantation visitor center for Kona coffee and Hawaiian tea tasting. While enjoying the free samples we offer viewing of our Discovery Channel feature about Kona coffee. It was filmed at Mountain Thunder’s Kaloko cloud forest farm and mill with the famous Mike Rowe from the Dirty Jobs series. The show takes the visitor through all of the processes from visitors learn how Kona coffee is grown. They are welcome to pick and taste the sweet red coffee fruit. They also can see the coffee flowers and maturing green fruit on the trees among an ancient Ohia rain forest with passion fruit vines abound. They can Saint Croix sheep Muscovy ducks white Chinese geese and Toulouse geese at the ocean view gazebo lookout. Also around the farm we have: wild parrots
From $135.00

Cafe Pesto Tips (4)

Cafe Pesto: Good food, fine staff, interesting setting

On the ground floor of the S Hata Building, the restaurant's semi-antique interior, lovingly restored, is reminiscent of Old Hawaii -- wood floors, ceiling fans -- like something out of "From Here to Eternity" and other films of pre-war and wartime Hawaii.

The staff was friendly and efficient. I was surprised to be given a second Coke when my first was nearly finished. Giving diners refills of soft drinks, tea, and coffee is "a custom of the house," our waitress explained.

Favorite Dish My wife had a fresh greens salad (lettuce, tomato, onions, etc) that she ranked among the best she's ever eaten. I had a nine-inch "create your own" pizza (Bay shrimp, pepperoni, black olives, and mushrooms) that was vastly superior to those of the chains -- Pizza Hut, Round Table, Straw Hat, et al.

NedHopkins's Profile Photo
NedHopkins
Mar 21, 2009

Cafe Pesto: Old town in Hilo

In the old town section of Hilo, comfortable setting with large windows facing the Hilo Bay, good people watching

Favorite Dish The Hakalua pork sandwich was so good my wife stole half of it. Poke salad very good and the faccaccia with gorgonzola was excellent.

Roadquill's Profile Photo
Roadquill
Jun 30, 2008

Cafe Pesto: Cafe Pesto: The Only Place In Hilo

Pesto makes me burp rancidly. This fact has caused me to avoid otherwise enticing menu items and almost drove me away from this restaurant. That would have been a big belching mistake, since there were plenty of pesto-less and delicious menu items to choose from in what is definitely the best restaurant in Hilo. Not only is the food fresh and delicious, but it's innovative (I had raw Ahi curry and potato soup one night). There is a focus on fish and seafood, as you would expect from a restaurant facing Hilo Bay, but they always have a meat special for those who insist an eating land-based protein. The wait staff is friendly and the decor classic. The only downer is that the restaurant is ALWAYS crowded, so you might want to be prepared for a half hour wait before seating. I didn't mind. During my last three-night sojourn to Hilo, I ate at Cafe Pesto every night.

AKtravelers's Profile Photo
AKtravelers
Jan 04, 2008

Cafe Pesto: Try the Chicken Sausage and Pesto

Great meal, excellent service and I believe the best value that we found on the Big Island.

Favorite Dish The calzone was stuffed full with a thin crust...just perfect, not too bready. The Pesto with Chicken Sausage and the Ceasar Salad was unbelievable!

silverparrot1